Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Little Questions Miscellany
on: June 20, 2011 11:08
Do you have a brief question or problem, such as the ones below?
This is the place for all questions that do not really belong into any of our major topic categories.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Post RE: Little Questions Miscellany
on: June 20, 2011 11:10
A friend gave me a beautiful (and expensive -- handmade in Italy) blank book for Christmas. It's bound in soft, light brown leather and closes by tying a leather thong. The paper is lined. The design on the cover is subtle, with Italian writing, which could look like elvish, if you don't look too closely. Also has faint leaf prints on it.

I need some ideas as to what to do with it. I don't want to use it as a typical journal. Any ideas would be appreciated and don't neccessarily have to have anything to do with LOTR. I know LOTR fans are the most creative people around, so please help me out! Thanks.

[admin edit: repost from a 2005 thread]

[Edited on 21/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
pv
Council Member
Send Message
You could write out your favourite poems or quotations with calligraphy or glitter pens & decorate them with pressed flowers & leaves, or your favourite photos.
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Meltintalle
Council Member
Send Message
A friend of mine has a book she keeps especially for autographs which she collects from friends, family, co-workers, speakers at a convention, etc.

I have lots of blank journal type books--everybody knows that I keep a journal and thinks they've found the solution to gift giving problems :::sigh::: It'll be a while before I get to run to the store and pick my own. So, the more ideas, the better!
earunduil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:11
My wife and I make these, and buy them whenever we can too. We travel a lot, and we keep a different book for every travel adventure we have until it is filled. They make beautiful shelf items and just beg to be opened up. For example, I lived in Alaska for two years and took my blank leather bound book everywhere. Sketches, poems, stories, drawings, pictures, notes, cultural tid bits, ghost stories, even things that at the time seemed mundane, but that I knew someday would make really cool reading material. England, Puerto Rico, The Aleutian Islands, all over the US, and now I carry one on every trip I take.
I even have one TOTALLY devoted to Tolkien, languages, notes, sketches, ideas, etc. I figure if someday I become famous or important, they will be worth soemthing...if not, my great great great grandkids might think they are kind of cool.... maybe.... or they will just think I was some excentric wierdo! The more messy, dirty, worn, beat-up and water stained they become the cooler they look over the years! Mine look like they are about 500 years old.....

[Edited on 7/2/2005 by earunduil]
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:11

I even have one TOTALLY devoted to Tolkien, languages, notes, sketches, ideas, etc. I figure if someday I become famous or important, they will be worth soemthing...if not, my great great great grandkids might think they are kind of cool.... maybe.... or they will just think I was some excentric wierdo! The more messy, dirty, worn, beat-up and water stained they become the cooler they look over the years! Mine look like they are about 500 years old.....

I've thought of devoting my blank book to Tolkien, too, though I wasn't quite sure how. I like your ideas, earunduil! Your books sound like treasures! I've also thought of writing a journal as through the eyes of one of the members of the Fellowship or something like that. We'll see...

Thanks for the great ideas everyone - keep them coming. I may have to get more blank books!
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
earunduil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:12

I've thought of devoting my blank book to Tolkien, too, though I wasn't quite sure how. I like your ideas, earunduil! Your books sound like treasures! I've also thought of writing a journal as through the eyes of one of the members of the Fellowship or something like that. We'll see...

Thanks for the great ideas everyone - keep them coming. I may have to get more blank books!

That is exactly what I have tried to do with them, sort of make them more like treasures then just books...think Gandalf in the Library at Minas Tirith.....as for your journal of the fellowship idea....That is GREAT idea! I would buy that in a second! Especially one written from the perspective of Sam...I can just imagine what he would have written as he continued to see the ring effect Frodo as they got closer and closer to Mordor. You should start on those and get them published! I think they would do relaly well...that would make a great thread here too.....
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:13
You could think of a good moment in your life (eg a holiday or birthday party) and collect pictures and write a few sentences about that day. Sort of like a scrapbook.

Of course I have to include a LOTR idea so here it is:
You could pick your favourite character/s from Lord of the Rings and create a story or journal entry.
I myself am working on a story about Minas Tirith in the 4th age 'cos my favourite characters are Aragorn and Arwen.

Or you could pick a moment in the War of the Ring (eg. The Fellowship at Lothlorien) and write a diary entry or the story from one of the character's point of view.

But here is what I am planning on doing myself (I also have a plain book which I would like to fill with LOTR stuff!)
I am going to write a collection of stories based on characters which I have made up.
One of the characters in a story I am writing is called Aregwyn who is Arwen and Aragorn's daughter. (You can find her character in the RPG Database!) It is really enjoyable to write the history and journey of your own character that could have appeared in LOTR!

Hope I have been some sort of help!

From arwen_the_evenstar
earunduil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:13
its so funny the way your imagination worked. I started sketching images from the books in my LOTR journal, and I began trying to get as many of them down as possible as fast as I could...i was actually doing Faramirs dream and they all looked a bit "sketchy" as they should, but it developed into something entirely different! Now, those small sketches and creatures have become their own characters, my wife and I developed a sub plot around them, and the book idea has been sent off to several publishers.....I think Bilbo said it best...."mind your feet Frodo, for if your not carefull, theres no telling where they may take you..." or something to that effect....blank books do the same thing.....there is no telling where they could lead.....
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:14
You folks are giving me good ideas. At first, I was stumped; now you've got my creative juices flowing so much, I don't quite know what to do next! I'm playing with the idea of doing a journal from Frodo's point of view....

earunduil, I wish I could take a peek into your books. They sound so fascinating!

arwen_the_evenstar, great idea making up your own character!
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
How 'bout a kind of sketchbook/novel? Just a weird idea I conjured up in that I could use my blank books to dot down reference/information on different types of wild animals and make sketches of them while writing down my notes. But that's just me. Hope I helped; have fun with your book!!
earang
Council Member
Send Message
I would create an extended history of LoTR describing all stuff, everything you know, do research, and you get to know a lot more about LoTR then you do now, and are the books that help others in their yourney of writing books, or you could create your own story? good luck
EldarChild
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:15
I have a few blank books (though I wish people would give me more) and I use mine for my poetry, I used to write journals but got too annoyed when people read them/made fun of what I wrote so I put my thoughts in poems.

Some people fill their books with their favorite quotes.

I like the scrabook/travel log idea. On a non-sentimental note: Travel logs like that will be good on E-bay, so even if your kids don't appreciate them they'll have monetary value.
sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
Maps. Maps and diagrams (i.e. of creatures and plants and really unique architecture) but mostly maps. This would be especially useful if you write fantasy and make up your own places and such. Then you don't forget or screw up whatever your stuff if supposed to be like, and you could maybe publish it later on for your fans. (well... maybe you should consider your drawing skills... if they're great - excellent. if they're not... sucks for you )
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
I buy notebooks all the time, and I have several devoted to LotR stuff. One has maps, copied sections of the books (such as the Appendicies or Concerning Hobbits), poems (fanfic and Tolkien), and timelines. Another has fanfictions, POV stories, original poems, etc. Yet another has a novel I'm working on, with the actual story in the front and character sketches, maps, and species in the back. I'll tell you what, my writing and drawing skills have gotten so much better ever since I adopted the notebooks idea.
By the way, earundial, those ideas are so cool!! If I traveled more, I would probably do that. Unfortunately my financial situation isn't enough to do that kind of stuff. When I grow up, maybe.
Amput
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:17
I can't find the correct font for the text on the One Ring.
Can anyone help me?

[admin edit: moved from a 2006 thread]

Eruvyreth_Himiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:17
On the menu on the left, hold your mouse over "Multimedia", then select "Fonts". On about page 3 of the fonts section, there's a font called Tengwar Cursive. I've found that to come pretty close.
Beren_Elaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:18
There is a font called Tengwar Annatar that I think was based off of the ring inscription. If you italicise it it looks very nice. As far as I know it is only available for Windows.

You can download it here: http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
archery_princess
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:20
OK, so I really need some Lord of the Rings christmas ideas. Any ideas you have will be much appreciated. I know already I could get her some LotR merchandice, but something practical with an elvish twist (her room is totally elvish) would be a better Idea, so! Fire Away!!

admin edit: moved from a 2007 thread.

JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:20
I love wrapping the vines of silk ivy leaves that you can buy around things in my room. I also make Elvish-looking flowers that I attach to them. You could buy some that look Elvish, I'm sure.

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
Celeblaswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Pictures of All Rings
on: December 26, 2014 03:21
Hello, if anyone knows where a picture of all the rings exists, please PM me it or the link.
Guren níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
I don't quite understand your question, Celeblaswen. Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean the Rings of Power - the 1, 3, 7, and 9 all shown together? Are you looking for a photo or a painting/drawing?
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email