Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Richard_Tse
Council Member
Send Message
Post Recreating Elvish
on: June 28, 2011 07:22
Is anyone else here interested in working on the Elvish language to create something that is useful and pleasant to the ear. Not the first time something like this has been done, official or unofficial.

Been a while since I've read the books and have had Elvish in my mind. I've been thinking of it lots especially of late. I've sampled what Tolkien left but was left unsatisfied due to the lack of words (and difficulty). I know other avenues such as the movies and some computer games have added new words and changed Elvish a bit.

So I've taken on a personal project of working on the Elvish language. Have some secrets of my own too. I was wondering if anyone else would join me in my project to recreate Elvish. I'm open to suggestions. There's more than one dialect so there's plenty of work to be done if one specific mode of Elvish made or to-be-made is not interesting.

Just drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll get back to you. No need to be shy. Thanks

~Richard_Tse
Richard_Tse
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Recreating Elvish
on: July 03, 2011 06:02
Progress is coming on nicely, surprsingly the language works quite well and is easy to think in. Here's a sample:

Daimaid amion patessar, sha elenorellion; ep valarellion, alor bushellion xamsellion

~The ring is creativity to the utmost, a thing of love, breath of the gods- air of my material mind.~

Please, if anyone wants to join me in my efforts, please post or send a PM.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 03, 2011 09:31
Hi, sorry missed your first post on this.

Just to clarify, what you are doing is trying to create a separate language in the same manner that Tolkien created his languages?

I don't think you can really 'recreate' one of JRRT's elvish languages (and bear in mind there are several) and use it in place of Sindarin (or Quenya or any of the others) as a language for Tolkien's elves; but there's nothing to keep someone from creating a 'made' language that could be spoken by 'an elf'.

The sentence you posted is interesting - what would be needed (at the very least) is a list of the vocabulary you've created and the grammar rules and sentence structure you are creating.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Richard_Tse
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2011 09:55
Thanks for replying.

I'm trying to create one or more new languages that can be called Elvish. They don't seem to work unless they have the same feel as Tolkien's Quenya though. So yes, a new language.

I've got most of it mapped out on paper. I've added what I know to my wiki here http://purnam.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Elvish. Excuse it, it's still a work in progress as I started it about a week ago. Fell free to have a look.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 04, 2011 08:01
As long as you don't try to call it Tolkien Elvish, I don't see a problem with it. Creating a language is always a fun exercise.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email