Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
Post Middle-Earth Rooms
on: June 29, 2011 07:42
I have read everyhting in the Last Homely House and wanted to contunue talking about Middle-Earth rooms. I have seen the same few tips everywhere but this website has been most helpful of them all! Anyways, feel free to share your ideas (and advice...I'm trying to decorate my bedroom Rivendell-ish and need help!) and I have a few things to share as well!!!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post RE: Middle-Earth Rooms
on: June 30, 2011 10:31
There's a great TV series in UK here about people building their own homes. One such was hexagonal wooden house made by a woodworker. Everything inside was carved with branches and leaves, the staircase was made from an 800 year old oak tree. I think you would need to learn to carve. Failing that your room would have to have the illusion of being outside in a forest. I think Rivendell in the film is a bit overdone for my taste.
I'm lucky to have moved recently into a flat with a big floor to ceiling window and trees and foxes outside (it's in a city!), so a few plants carries it all inside. Magic! It doesn't need much else except imagination. I'd like some carved furniture though so I'll have to learn.
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2011 09:48
I would love to have carved furniture as well! I, In my own personal opinion, don't think Rivendell is overdone....I wish there was a Rivendell somewhere lol, but I guess that is what imagination is for! I have quite liked the ivy ideas, but even adding some simple things such as old books or notebooks, metal ornaments, carved wood boxes, and maybe some live flowers or something!
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2011 11:15
Let lots of sunlight into your room. (Or moonlight by night)
Sunlight is important to make things look bright in daytime and moonlight for the cozy or even mysterious atmosphere by night.

Good luck with your room! Let us know how it turns out
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2011 02:45
Yes....what color furniture looks best do you suppose? An off-white color or perhaps a dark (almost black) color? Silver or Gold (gold would go well with dark furniture) accents? I was wondering even to go with colors such as red and gold, or maybe something like pale green or blue with silver...any thoughts?
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: July 04, 2011 11:41
I've always preferred silver to gold - I think silver is more subtle or something, I don't really know. For Rivendell, either draw it the way you imagine it or find some pictures from the movie or artists. When you know what you want Rivendell to look like, use those colors and basic ideas for furniture.

To give your room an outside feel even if it's inside you can get a picture of woods or something and make a wooden frame so that it looks like a window.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2011 06:31
Does anyone know where to shop for Rivendell/ Elvish-looking room decorations? (I like all your ideas everyone! They are a great help!!!!!)
tarcolan
Send Message
on: July 05, 2011 08:23
Make your own! Make your own! They'll look much better than bought stuff and it'll mean more to you. After all, the elves wouldn't go shopping would they? Hookie rug with a scene on it. Bit tedious but easy. First find a sheep...
My comment about Rivendell being overdone in the film is because of all the heavy stone like a Gothic castle or something. Not what I imagined and it doesn't really match the exterior views of the houses mixed in with the trees. Frodo's bedroom was great though, much better.Tolkien wasn't a lot of help was he? Not a word about it in The Hobbit and precious little in LOTR.
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2011 10:48
Make my own? I guess I could....I do like the banners though and yes I do agree on the Rivendell being Gothic looking, but I do love some of the stonework with the flowing curtains and carved furniture!
Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2011 01:33
I can't really give any recommendations on where to buy furniture, but in the Creations Forum there's a thread on Middle-earth Home Decorating which has lots of ideas and tips for various aspects of decorating. I've been through pretty much the whole thing and organized it in Word. I love thinking about ME decorating.
My blog ensanguining the skies. how heavily it dies. into the west away; past touch and sight and sound. not further to be found, how hopeless under ground. falls the remorseful day.
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2011 01:39
I found some cool pictures but I don't know how to post them!
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2011 01:43
http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de/hobbit/galerie_1/setsundszenen/bruchtal_1/bruchtal-1_1.php
Well...there is the link. Sorry they are in Greman

[Edited on 6/7/2011 by Gilwileth]
Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2011 04:37
Those are amazing pictures! Thanks so much for posting the link!
My blog ensanguining the skies. how heavily it dies. into the west away; past touch and sight and sound. not further to be found, how hopeless under ground. falls the remorseful day.
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2011 05:04
No Problem!
tarcolan
Send Message
on: July 07, 2011 06:43
Great link! Wow yeah, that's much better! I like the chairs, they remind me of another thing I saw on TV about a woodsman who'd grown a bridge out of woven willow trees. It would take a while to grow a chair though. I can't wait to see the film now, just for the sets. There won't be any room in the cinema for kids, heh heh.
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2011 08:26
I really notice the carvings in all the picture. Most of it is carved wood or stone, beautiful paintings, and gorgeous fabrics! I also love the Elf clothes of Rivendell lol. It is just the style of it is....breathtaking is the only way I can think of putting it! You look at pictures and just say...WOW! That's AMAZING!!!
Gilwileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2011 02:30
Hey thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas! And I was also thinking, Maybe instead of fake ivy, you could use flowers.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Middle-Earth Rooms
on: March 18, 2012 07:13
This is awesome! I'm planning on redecorating my room this summer with an elvish theme... By I can't decide if I want to paint it earthy and greenish, or blue and silver-ish. Thoughts???
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2012 07:34
Maybe you could do both. I know this is a little unlikely, but you coulld paint half or 1/4 or 3/4 or whatever like an Elven room with pillars, maybe, or trees or something like that and then the other part you could make it look lik Rivendell/Lothlorien or make your own Elven look. Then inbetween the pillars/trees you could paint more gardens. So like if it were real, when you looked at one side, you would see pillars/trees but also behind it flowers, other trees, vines, etc. You could even paint a few Elfs in the distance. For the inside of the room, maybe paint a banner or something like that. Make your funiture look Elvish too with blue, silver, and gold colored pillows or blankets. On my desk, i have some paper i got on amozon that looks like the paper in old books, all yellow and faded. I wrote some things in Elvish and set them on my desk. I found a goose feather in our yard, so i cleaned it and got a tip from another quill pen i have and stuck it on the end. On the sides of my desk, i have candles. I have an Elvish looking jewlrey box that i have some flowers and an Elvish looking notebook. ON the tact board i have a picture of Rivendell. I also drew a picture of an Elf, or nymph actually. But, my dresser has a huge Lego Helm's Deep on it. My nightstand had the LOTR books and some others on it. That's what i want to do with my walls.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2012 07:34
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2012 07:36
Do any of you know if or how you can delete post that are posted two times?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2012 11:50
Quote from GotPrecious on March 18, 2012, 17:13
This is awesome! I'm planning on redecorating my room this summer with an elvish theme... By I can't decide if I want to paint it earthy and greenish, or blue and silver-ish. Thoughts???

I would suggest to paint it earthy, but to add the blue and silver-ish I would paint some pillars and/or paint the ceiling in the blue and silver-ish. Another idea is to make it look like you are outdoors, so use the earthy colors to a bit above the halfway point and make a gradual color change to a blue color and then use the silver color to paint stars and clouds on the ceiling. Just an idea not sure how well it would work. But if it worked well it would would awesome!
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2012 07:34
That would be cool
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2012 11:08
I'm tempted to ask my parents if I could do something like that especially if I'm going to be at home for as long as I think I will be. If I do/am allowed I'll post some pictures of the completed project. (My version of it...thinking of trying to do something that would appear to be of Mirkwood)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 08:17
I want to put a little bit of everything in my room, Mirkwood, Rivendell, Lothlorien, the Shire, Rohan, etc.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 10:17
I do not think you can completely delete a post. When I have done the same thing, I go to edit and just delete all the words and replace them with a smiley face.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 11:37
OK, thanks.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am slowly but surely re-doing my room to make it appear like laketown in DoS. I love the Gothic feel that there was.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
SilverleafArtist
Council Member
Send Message
Since I've been reading LOTR for about 40 years, I'm in a transition where I can decorate my abode in the manner that I wish. I would love to read about crafty ways to make furniture "elven," or about recommended sites that sell those types of things.

I've seen some absolutely beautiful canopy beds that are so whimsical, but they're so far out of budget that it's not an option. I'm not in the UK, either, so I have to rather sort it out.

Thanks!
Trust your journey............
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Try looking at beds in second hand stores or check the ads in the newspaper. I got my wonderful mirrored canopy bed from a newspaper ad. It was a waterbed (remember those?) I bought a new, regular king sized mattress and put it in the frame. I decorate the inside of the canopy with tiny little lights that reflect in the mirrors. I change the lights for the seasons and I wrap vines or sparkly material around the posts.

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
What I have also done for my room, was to buy some plastic ivy and hang it over my curtains. Pictures to follow.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email