Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: King Thranduil and Other Elves in The Hobbit
on: November 12, 2011 02:27
I have seen Video 4 from Peter Jackson and in it is a brief glimpse of Kili with the rest of the dwarves as they fight their way out of Mirkwood. To me he fits perfectly into this role even if his features don't fit the stereotypes of a lot of people.

[Edited on 13/11/2011 by belldoras]
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2011 05:57
I have seen Video 4 from Peter Jackson and in it is a brief glimpse of Kili with the rest of the dwarves as they fight their way out of Mirkwood. To me he fits perfectly into this role even if his features don't fit the stereotypes of a lot of people.

Well, he doesn't fit Tolkien's own description of the Dwarves.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2012 09:37

Well, he doesn't fit Tolkien's own description of the Dwarves.

Well, as long as he is in character, I don't mind. It's kinda weird for me to say this, especially since I am a huge elf fan, but I thought that Kili was pretty good lookin', call me weird lol.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2012 10:19
Well, as long as he is in character, I don't mind.

Given that earlier in the thread you only said you would 'possibly, yes,' have something negative to say if Jackson went with a goblin-esqe Elven-king (by implication anyway, since you said this about another film treatment)! and now that you don't mind a basically 'beardless' Dwarf as long as he's in character...

... may I ask for an example of what you would mind, as far as the characters go, in a visual medium such as film?

A tall Hobbit? a young Gandalf? an axe stuck in Thorin's head?

[Edited on 13/1/2012 by Elthir]
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2012 11:31
may I ask for an example of what you would mind, as far as the characters go, in a visual medium such as film?

A tall Hobbit? a young Gandalf? an axe stuck in Thorin's head?

[Edited on 13/1/2012 by Elthir]

I was most likely being a hypocrite when I said the opposite earlier in the thread and I'm sorry about that, but I think it was only because I didn't like how the Mirkwood elves looked like in the cartoon version of The Hobbit, I felt as if their appearance were far from what they should be. Kili and Thorin are not far from thier appearance, in my opinion. Though Kili doesn't have a beard, he has a bit of a hair on his face, and Thorin's beard is not long, but he has a beard, at least. I guess you can say that appearance wise, if the characters' appearences are a little off, I wouldn't mind it, but if they are completely off, then I don't like.

LOL! I don't think I can really imagine Thorin with an axe in his head, I like him how he is now. The Thorin in Jackson's movie is nothing like I imagined, but I ain't got nothing to complain about his appearance since it wasn't off by much.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2012 11:32
I am happy with the way Sir Peter has given the dwarves an identity from his perspective. Having their faces not too covered by beards would mean the audience will see their facial expressions more clearly especially when expressing emotions.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2012 10:49
Having their faces not too covered by beards would mean the audience will see their facial expressions more clearly especially when expressing emotions.

Well a long beard doesn't necessarily cover up a face any more than a short beard...

... a beard hangs down, as the Longbeards well know
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: King Thranduil and Other Elves in The Hobbit
on: November 28, 2012 01:15
Eh... Looking at the Mirkwood elves or what we've seen of them. The costume for Thranduil looks good though that crown...could have been done differently. And with some of the toys coming out I managed to get the one that had Legolas and Tauraniel...let's just say that description of her on the box is making her sound like a 'Mary-sue' like character. But I'll be making that judgement after I see the character in the movie. Now moving over to the costumes for the Mirkwood Elves, for the most part it looks like something that I see Mirkwood Elves would be wearing. Though I am still waiting to see more pictures/stills from the movie.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 02:19
We have a couple of brief glimpses of Thranduil in the first film. But I'm quite annoyed how they do it. They don't exactly paint the Mirkwood elves in the best light. I'd love to know what others think when they've seen it.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 11:28
Well, I agree with you Calenmarwen. But if you think about it Mirkwood elves were mostly concerned about their own borders, and the lives of their people because if you dig into your lore you realize that many of the people of Mirkwood did fight in the first Battle of the Ring and many of their people did not return including Oropher so they did not worry about anything that was not threatening them directly....

But that's how I see it, after you loose many from something that most thought foolish in the first place no one would want to go out to war for any reason, unless it is to protect your borders.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 11:59
Well the Mirkwood elves are not exactly painted in a good light in the book, either. Though everyone does finally come to terms at the end.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: December 14, 2012 12:31
Minor Spoilers if you haven't read the book.

This is true. I think I'm thinking mainly of how they do come to help when Esgaroth is attacked by Smaug. You can understand they might not want to risk open war with a dragon, but not helping the survivors of Dale and Erebor is a bit harsh, especially since they were allies.
A good point though. I must remember these are not High Elves. I think the film's position might be also to give added spice and tension to the Battle of Five Armies.
Oh wouldn't this mean that Thranduil should recognise Thorin when he captures him though? I didn't think he knew him in the book.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: December 14, 2012 01:32
From Flies And Spiders - "These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers." (This paragraph is well worth a read.) Not that High Elves are any better. This is Gildor (taken from the magnificent 343 Day Challenge thread) - "The Elves have their own labours and their own sorrows, and they are little concerned with the ways of hobbits, or of any other creature upon earth."

To be pedantic, there's nothing in the book to say that Thranduil didn't know who Thorin was. Maybe the king was playing his cards close.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: December 14, 2012 03:32
Again that's very true, and we do know that Thranduil has a love of gold himself.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2012 02:25
I liked his portrayal in the movie because it really offsets Elrond and the Elves of Rivendell. As that quote from Gildor says, Elves in general are more concerned about their own affairs than those of other races, but Elrond's grace and generosity is magnified in Thorin's mind even more after being betrayed by Thranduil. It was obviously difficult for Thorin to trust Elrond with the map; even Balin tried to stop him. But it was a moment of growth for Thorin to hand over the map to Elrond when Thranduil's betrayal was surely still fresh on his memory.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2012 12:07
I agree with Smoore on this. And as for Calenmarween, I'm not sure about Thranduil recognizing Thorin...simply because of the fact that Thranduil was paying homage to his Grandfather, and might have noticed his father instead of him. So if Thranduil does recognize Thorin, it could be just noting that he looks similar to the Old King Under the Mountain. But I think we will have to just wait and see how it plays out in the next movie.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2012 09:15
Thranduil just wasn't right. Distrust of strangers, yes. Selfish indifference, no.

The elves were preoccupied... They were preoccupied with the Necromancer, the creatures of Mirkwood, and yes, they didn't pay much attention to what was happening to the dwarves. They liked drinking and making merry, and they stayed in the wood for the most part. They were a bit detached. In the book, they were really too far away and too unaware of what was happening to help much. I can't see them being on the spot and refusing to help.

Yep, Kili was kind of good looking Odd choice for Kili though. Oddly enough, he looks more like my mental picture of a wood-elf. Still, he was pretty good. Nice to see someone with a bow... It's something you automatically associate with a Tolkien film!
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2013 06:13
I can't wait to see Legolas in the next Hobbit movie! well, and his dad too, so excited!
Legolas is ~L~ovely! Legolas is ~E~verlastingly talented! Legolas is ~G~reat! Legolas is ~O~h so awesome! Legolas is ~L~ovable! Legolas is ~A~mazing! Legolas is ~S~weet! ~LEGOLAS~ rules! Mrs.Greenleaf
I-Am-Figwit
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 04:59
Why is Thranduil, of all things, shown riding on an elk?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 06:47
I don't have any idea of why I-Am-Figwit, but I can venture a guess....Elk are fierce?
Besides that I'm not sure.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 09:30
I think Peter Jackson thought an elk would be a great visual. The Mirkwood elves are very different than the Rivendell elves so Thranduil would not ride just a mere horse, it had to be something very unique so Jackson came up with an elk.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 09:46
Ah, good point Lindarielwen. My other guess would be along the lines of Mirkwood having many larger animals than any other place, spiders for example.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email