Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
CrazyElfie
Council Member
Send Message
Post Crazy stuff you have done in real life relating to LOTR
on: September 11, 2011 02:00
This is pretty much about crazy stuff you've said or done in real life relating to the Tolkien fandom... not limited to LOTR though. Anything related to Middle-earth also counts

One day when I was at school, some university students came to discuss what life is like at university with us. We were sorted into different groups based on where we were sitting, and the university student with us asked "What was the last movie you saw?" I said "LOTR, but I prefer the books" and the entire group looked at me in a funny way.

Then I asked the student about clubs, and he explained "There's a club for everything at our university". I pretty much blurted out "Is there a LOTR club?" and all the group laughed at me. I will now forever be known as "the geek" to those people, especially the new girl who was sitting next to me...

I'm also in photography class and the school ice-skating group with my friend J (who I don't know quite that well yet), but she's as much of a fan as I am. We often have discussions about the characters from the books AND the characters/actors from the movies. J and I were in line at the ice rink one day when we started talking about the guy who's going to be Thranduil in the movie of The Hobbit, and how he seriously needs an eyebrow wax (seriously, look up Lee Pace and you'll know what I mean). The conversation ended with me yelling "FOR GONDOR!" It made no sense whatsoever, but that's pretty much how a typical conversation between me and J goes.

What kinds of things have YOU done? XD
Syaoran
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Crazy stuff you have done in real life relating to LOTR
on: September 13, 2011 05:14
Doesn't sound that starange to me, sounds like you are just really into the story and were looking for a group tha tmay have similar interest in Tolkien's work.

By the way if you are called "Geek" say thank you it is not really that bad (though I am sure you are already aware of that)
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2011 12:27
Well sometimes when Pippin (my bird) is being cheeky I end up saying, "Fool of a Took!"
To which Pippin gives me a very funny look.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2011 03:36
I do the same of my hamster. When he's a sweetheart, I call him Ernil i Pherinnath.
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2011 03:07
This looks like great fun! Let's see what I've done recently:

- At school, we had to take a test where we had to use a lot of spare paper to work out all the problems, when I was finished, I wrote down the lyrics of "Into the West" on the paper. That, or I was singing it under my breath several times.

- My mom and I will often be walking around in a grocery store or somewhere else, and all we'll be talking LOTR or what our expectations are for the Hobbit.

- My family and I went to a state park earlier this week, I swear it looked exactly like Amon Hen. I later decided to re-enact scenes from the Fellowship of the Ring.

- Recently I've been having re-occurring dreams about Peter Jackson. I keep asking him to autograph him copy of Lord of the Rings, but he never does.

You're so lucky you have Tolkien loving friend, I'm not even sure if anyone at school knows that I love Tolkien. Or if they do, they haven't said anything.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2011 04:46
To celebrate the start of Hobbit filming, i and some of my friends dressed up as Hobbit characters. I was Gandalf, because i have a staff. And i rented a hat and a beard, but i gave the beard to a teacher. And i did use the staff on people who ashed if i was Dumbledore.
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2011 11:05
In a public speaking class a year or two ago, I did not one but two speeches related to Tolkien villains. (I'm surprised I was that shameless, in retrospect.)
Image ImageRealm of Vairë, Corrupted faction
AranelAeariel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Crazy stuff you have done in real life relating to LOTR
on: June 25, 2012 03:53
1)I took one of my lessons in quenya to school with me and my whole math class look at it.
2)i once yell at my friend go kiss an orc and fool of a took
3) i can change ears on photoshop to elven ears
4) me and some friends look at funny pictures of lotr during my photoshop class we even show our teacher
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2012 06:53
I just recently really got into LOTR but before that, I would watch the movies with my parents and try to play the hero. I got so upset with my younger brother that I once grabbed a samurai sword off the wall- my dad bought a set for decoration- and ran after him screaming 'die filthy orc!' My parents weren't very happy with me.
"A king is he that can hold his own or else his title is vain." -NelyaFinwe Maitimo (Maedhros)
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2012 07:00
^^ Really?! You did that?? LOL!!!!!! My parents would kill me if I did that!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2012 10:23
Probably same here GP!
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2012 04:03
In Speech class, i managed to give two Tolkien-related speeches, although we weren't allowed to do more than one speech on the same subject. But i gave my informational speech on the languages of Tolkien and my "philosophy of life" speech about hobbits. Even brought in my Frodo cardboard cutout as a visual aide. I tried to do my persuasive speech on Balrog wings, but no go.

And then, i had to give a speech at graduation.
And i concluded it with a revised version of Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate.
Now, i really hate public speaking... but doing that almost made me look forward to it. I was definitely more confident for thast part of my speech than all the rest.

So that's my crazy LotR experiences recently.
ArwenElfMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2012 08:33
well...*goes into geeky fangirl mode*
I made lembas and mallorn leaves (out of foam), and they turned out quite well... I randomly quote LOTR and such. I went to see Ice Age 4 in 3D, and as I was walking into the room i heard a little bit of the Hobbit trailer beginning music, and i pretty much dragged my mom in there and tore the 3D glasses out of their bag, and stood in the back of the theater oblivious to anything but the Hobbit trailer. then i looked for a seat. lol. any time i see LOTR lego sets or anything else Middle-earth related, i spaz out. when i come across another Ringer, Tolkien-geek, etc. (which is rarely) i get super excited and start remembering all the funny parts and imitating Gollum. and everyone else nearby looks over like "whoa...." but i dont mind every time i see fabric i have to go see if there's anything fit to make an elven cloak with...i do sew, so it's always a possibility. and i reeeaallly want the Nenya ring.
"What are we holding onto, Sam?" "That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo. and it's worth fighting for."
ArwenElfMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2012 08:36
i just remembered one more thing. i was mini-golfing with my mom, uncle, aunt, and grandma, and my uncle (another LOTR fan, but not super geeky) took 4 tries to get the ball in the hole. I said to him, "that still only counts as one!" and both of us started cracking up.
the rest of my family was like, whatever...*roll eyes*
"What are we holding onto, Sam?" "That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo. and it's worth fighting for."
alfirin48
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2012 09:25
I tried to give my dad (who knows like nothing about LOTR) lessons on gollum imitations. He didn't seem too happy. (Maybe it had something to do with the fact that we were in public?)
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2012 10:58
I remember once we were driving home from somewhere, (i dont remember where) and I decided I would talk like Gollum the entire way home. It was fun, until my dad made me stop once he became quite sick of it.

(and ArwenElfMaiden, I have done practically everything on your list! )
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2012 08:52
I was told that I was "a bit Tookish". Of course, I loved it, and now I use that phrase all the time when I or someone I know, does something "a bit Tookish"

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Tom Bombadill
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2012 09:30
Where do I begin.

1. I am a Tolkien nut, and that people find strange enough.
2. I sometimes speak Elvish to my friends for no reason other then to annoy them.
3 Some Elvish words I have started using instead of other words, like suilad instead of hello or something of that sort (raised eyebrows everytime I do that).
4. I watch the LOTR movies and try to quote as much of it as I can.
5. I sing any of LOTR movie songs aloud while I walk and I have the complete recording on my MP3.
6. I once tossed a dwarf.
7. I love doing either a Gandalf or a Saruman impression.

These are only a few.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2012 10:41
You... tossed a dwarf??? LOL
Tom Bombadill
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2012 06:19
Yes I did. One of my more noteworthy achievements.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2012 01:29
The other day, an artist drew a little picture for me. She asked who it is for. I said for me and I spelled out.. Lin..dar..iel..wen. She asked where the name came from. I replied,"Middle-Earth." So I got the strange look ,of course. People just don't get it!

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2012 03:34
I will find myself randomly quoting Lord of the Rings. I can quote all the movies now! Also, when i see something Elven looking, i will point it out to my parents. If i see something LOTR in a store, i have to get it. I got this cool magazine at out local CVS when we were there last completely about the Hobbit. It is pretty cool!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2012 09:49
Hey, Legolas23, does the magazine have a drawing of Gandalf on the front? If, so, I have it too and it really is great. So much information and the pictures are awesome. Only about a month to go until the movie!!!

Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 08:55
Yeah, it does! That is so cool! Do you know if it is just a one time thing or is there another one? I am SOOOOOOO exited for the Hobbit to come out! But, it stinks that the second one comes out in 2013 and the fourth in 2014! But, i guess i wil have to feel my uncles pain when he was waiting for the Lord of the Rings movies with a year wait! I was only about 8 months old when the Fellowship fo the Ring came out.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 11:44
Well I haven't done this but I heard about a Tattoo artist that had a glow in the dark tattoo...and the first thing that came to mind was 'If someone got the tattoo of the Doors of Moria it would only show in Moonlight and Star light'. The person that told me about that gave me a look that just said 'really?'

Now that I think about that if there is a glow in the dark type of tattoo I'd probably get the word Maethor (in tengewar) on my wrist. Because we all are warriors one way or another. (I'd go for a glow in the dark tattoo because then I won't have to listen to family who's mostly anti tattoos)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 02:37
Wow, good to see I am not the only one who does crazy things. I have taught my friends and sister elvish insults (as well as things like suilad) and that is all they know/remember. I made myself a precious/one ring (minus the black speech. I'm no where near good enough to do that) and I am also memorising one of Tolkien's elvish poems for a class poem recital. I plan on saying it in sindarin and only giving translation if asked as I really hate performing/public speaking and don't really care what mark I get. The looks on their faces will be priceless...
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 06:53
I am making a huge Hobbit hole. It is a cardboard box, but it is maybe 4 ft. by 4 ft. and 12 inches in depth! I have the circular door, windows, and even carpet (temporary) and curtains! I am planning on getting tile or wood to cover the floors. Does anyone know if the floor at Bag End is tyle or wood? I thought it was wood.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2012 04:44
Oh! Would be going to the midnight release in Garb eating Lembas be considered 'Crazy', 'Nerdy' or 'Weird'? Cuz that's my plan and then either before or after (maybe both) going to Dennys and ordering off of the Hobbit Menu!
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 08:53
No,I would consider it wonderful if you were to do these things! I saw the LOTR trilogy yesterday and was the only one that dressed up. I was in a sea of people who were dressed in shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops. It was the greatest thing I have ever done. So many came up to me to tell me they wished they had dressed up but would have felt silly doing so. I told them I would have felt silly wearing shorts! Go against the grain! Do what makes you happy!

Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 11:01
Lindarielwen, oh I will be in garb simply because it's fun. ^.^ And I'm crazy, I've been keeping a sharp eye on the weather (the nearest theater that has the 3d is about a hour away) it looks like it's going to get down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. But I'm also helping a friend get a bit of a hobbit look. I just wish I was still living near some of my other friends that would also be in Garb when they go to see the movie.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 07:38
I think the lembas bread idea is awesome! I would totally do it! But, do you make the lembas or can u order it somewhere? What did you dress up as Lindarielwen?
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 08:09
Making lembas would be pretty easy Lego. And Lastiel, I live in Mississippi, and its going to be like 60'f on Saturday when i go to see the Hobbit. And I'm dressing up as well. I'm going as a Ranger. I will post a picture of it soon.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 09:09
How do you make it? Just shape regular bread like lembas?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 10:04
Legolas23 there are recipes for Lembas in the Last Homely House, under Sam's recipe box. The recipe that I like to use is Legolas's Lembas.

And I finally got a few pictures...though they aren't the best of my costumes...But they're good enough to show what they look like...I'm debating on wearing the dress or the garb that I can fight in. I'm leaning a bit towards the fighting garb.
Fighting garb with my Unit.
Me fighting an opponent.
And me in my feast garb.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 10:54
That is so cool! Did you make it? I think the feast garb
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email