Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am not sure if this is crazy but my friend lets me braid his hair like Legolas when we go out
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
With the braids on the back and sides and everything?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yes. His hair is quite long, past his shoulders. I braid the sides first, then pull it to the back and tie it and then braid what is hanging down.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I don't think any of my guy friends with long hair would let me touch it. I will have to try this school year.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Roanelle
Council Member
Send Message
I have a story for you all:

I was in Marine Corps bootcamp about 4 years ago and some pretty crazy/hilarious/weird stuff happens there. Drill Instructors have to pass the time somehow... So there we are in final inspection. The last inspection of bootcamp. We're all standing in formation with our rifles as the lieutenant colonel and her other officers came down the line to inspect us. Finally, Lieutenant Colonel Marte stepped in front me. I gave the proper greeting and performed inspection arms etc.
Lt Col Marte: "Why are you a PFC (enlisted rank 2) in boot?"
Me: "I have college credit that raised my rank ma'am."
Lt Col Marte: "Oh really? What was your favorite subject?"
Me: "English, ma'am."
Lt Col Marte: "Do you like to read?"
Me: "Yes ma'am!"
Lt Col Marte: "What's your favorite book?"
Me: "The Lord of the Rings, ma'am."
*pause, she looks at me curiously*
Lt Col Marte: "That's my favorite as well. Tell me, are you a true nerd or a poser?"
*Did...did the Lt Col just challenge my nerdiness? Did she seriously ask me if I'm a poser?*
Me: "Ma'am, I speak some elvish."
*My senior (senior drill instructor) looks at me with death in her eyes*
Lt Col Marte: "I don't believe you. Speak some elvish."
Me: "Elen síla lúmenn omentielvo. Ma quetil i lambe eldaiva?"
(A star shines upon the hour of our meeting. Do you speak elvish?)
Lt Col Marte: *laughs* "Thank you, and no, I don't speak elvish as well as you apparently."
*My senior is literally dying of horror and laughter at the same time. Some of the other DIs heard as well as the other recruits and everyone was trying extremely hard to keep a straight face*

Lt Col Marte continued down the line and I got called into the DI house after we got back to the barracks. But there you go, my epic story of how Lt Col Marte understood elvish in bootcamp.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Wow that's funny. I've heard of this but never done it. Picking a random number and texting that number in Elvish. Crazy right?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That is an amazing story, Roanelle. Cenor, I have not done that, I always have the misfortune of texting numbers that are not in service or do not exist.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Roanelle, that is a great story.

I had my friend over for dinner today. I made spaghetti with meatballs and lime jello for dessert. We ate the spaghetti and I brought out the jello. He looks at it and goes, "I don't like green food." Oh, how I laughed! He's the one who lets me braid his hair.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, how I love the little things that relate to LotR. And, "I don't like green food" could be said in any movie, or any situation, so it is like a little inside joke to fans.
Hriste
Council Member
Send Message
When I first read LotR The Two Towers, I would talk to myself like Sméagol/Gollum; but not out loud though.
I also made an origami crown (made of individual 'links/modules' that fit together) so it's like Morgoth's Silmaril crown to me.
I have a barrette which is like an Elvish leaf. And I got special marbles: an opal colored one- shines like a Silmaril, one with starry sparkles- named it Varda, a blue one- Vilya, and a swirly purple one- the Palantir.
-Hristë
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Heed no nightly noise! Fear no grey willow!
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, so many wonderful stories here! I loved the one about boot camp - priceless!

Hristë, I sometimes do the Gollum/Sméagol voice thing with my sister. Those other things sound so nice...I think I would do that too.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Very,very early this Sunday morning at the cast party for the musical, my friend and I danced like Merry and Pippin in the EE of RotK. Not on a table,though.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
It snowed over here several weeks ago, so me and some of my friends and family went outside and cosplayed as the fellowship crossing Caradhras. (Our neighbours told us later that they had seen us from the window and wondered what we were doing...)

Also, my sister has a necklace that reminds me of one of the Silmarils, and whenever she wears it, I make grabs at it, hissing, "My Precioussss".

We also have several of the Palantiri...in the shape of large marbles.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
The credit for this deed belongs not to me, but to a stranger I am now in awe of.

At comic con, I saw a man showing his work to comic book artist Steve Leialoha. He had translated LOTR into Elvish! I believe it was Quenya because I could see it was in Feanorian script. Leiahloha couldn't believe his eyes and I couldn't either!
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
lady_emilie
Council Member
Send Message
I'm knitting a floor-length hobbit cloak.
I'm reaaaally short and have a sign up in my dorm room: I'm not short, I'm a hobbit.
I run to the LOTR soundtrack. Much easier to get through my weekly long run if I can persuade myself I'm being chased by orcs!!
I rock the LOTR/Hobbit hairstyles on a daily basis and post to instagram…

Does anyone else try to put fellow humans into their Middle Earth races? Or is that just me… And hogwarts houses!
Fool of a Took!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I know several people I consider to be Orcs, but most of my friends are Elves.

Your cloak sounds fabulous, maybe you can post a pic of it when it is finished. There is a hairstyle thread here somewhere too.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I have some so here goes:

My friend called Sam (we call him Samwise a lot, as at Comic Con he and I are always either Frodo and Sam, or Merry and Pippin), we always like to sing Merry and Pippin's drinking song, as Sam plays the ocarina! We also do the dance for people at the cons too

A lot of friends close to me also like to say "Fool of a Took!" if I do something clumsy (even though I'm only Pippin when I wash the Frodo costume). One of these friends also exchanges texts with me in Sindarin, it's interesting when someone tries to read it and fails I've also been asked 'what my Elf-eyes see'. We also exchange Lembas recipes a lot.

I've also been known to quote Gandalf's 'Good Morning' and 'A wizard is never late' speeches when I was late to a morning lecture and my lecturer had pointedly said "Good Morning" to me. He loved me for it and gets me to say it sometimes to cheer him up.

I chose a name for my friend's tomcat. His nickname is Ellie, which my friend originally thought was short for Elliot... it was actually short for Elrond, and now he only answers to Lord Ellie My friend at first was not amused... until I lent him the books.

Final one I can think of: I went on a pub crawl with my university Taekwondo club friends, and ended up getting a little merry, and ended up writing everyone's names in Elvish script on their white t-shirts. I apparently made everyone's night!
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ildë, I loved those! Especially "what do your Elf-eyes see", the speeches when you were late to class, and Lord Ellie. True nerd perfection. Maybe not nerd actually, because I am convinced you are really an Elf who got stuck in our world.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
An Elf who lost a good bit of height, Song! I'm only 5"2 (157cm) so I do get asked where my Hobbit hole is a lot.

Never mind, when we elves moved to modern day Earth, we became travel sized That's what I'll say anyway!
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ha! You are still taller than I am...I'm only 5"0.

I love your explanation! I think I'll use that too.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Well obviously they couldn't run around being over 6", they'd get noticed
Image Image
Mironiel_EA
Council Member
Send Message
I talk in elvish to people who aren't LOTR fans sometime just to annoy them. I also go around with my hair done Tauriel-style and quote Gandalf 24/7
fool_of_a_took_12
Council Member
Send Message
So I'm at school, working on a math project that involves drawing things to scale and making 3-D things out of cardboard, and I am really bored. My partner for the project is a boy (I'm a girl btw). We were working out in the hall, and I had just finished measuring something with a yardstick when I suddenly had an inspiration to become Gandalf.

I called his name, and when he looked up, I shouted "You shall not pass!" and slammed the end of the yardstick on the floor like a staff. He raised one eyebrow and replied, "Yes, I shall pass. I shall do whatever I please."

Struck with even more inspiration, I hit him with the 'staff', and he fell dramatically onto the ground with a fake groan of pain. When he looked up at me again, I put on a disapproving look and said, "Fool of a Took! Never insult Gandalf the Grey!"

Well, that's my crazy story. Hope everyone enjoyed.
Lembas! One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email