Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post What kind of music takes you to Middle-Earth?
on: December 02, 2011 02:43
Name any bands or other musical projects that remind you of Middle-Earth in your mind, even if it wasn't featured in the movies or games.

I'll list these epic cases of music:

Enya - she was in the Lotr movie, of course, but I was already a fan of hers before that. Enya did not make Adiemus, that's a common misconception. 1, 2, 3
Karl Jenkins / Adiemus - Adiemus is the song and project of welsh composer Karl Jenkins, and has make quite a few amazing tracks also with his own name. 1, 2, 3
E.S. Posthumus - my recent discover. The songs can't get much closer to perfection. 1, 2, 3
Mediaeval Baebes - they just have that authentic traditional music feel to them. 1, 2, 3
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post RE: What kind of music takes you to Middle-Earth?
on: December 03, 2011 10:05
Sibelius. I read the book aged 12 and listened to the 2nd and 7th symphonies 'cos they seemed to fit. I reckon Howard Shore thought so too, suspiciously similar themes. Also Vaughan-Williams.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2011 03:16
Sibelius. I read the book aged 12 and listened to the 2nd and 7th symphonies 'cos they seemed to fit. I reckon Howard Shore thought so too, suspiciously similar themes. Also Vaughan-Williams.

Funny coincidence you should say that, it's independence day here in Finland and I'm listening to this.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2011 11:07
"Dare You to Move" and "This is Home" by Switchfoot (because it's PERFECT for Frodo), "Falling in the Black" and "Hero" by Skillet (ditto, in a darker way), lots of soundtracks (Twilight, Titanic, The Chronicles of Narnia, Treasure Planet, One Night with the King, How to Train Your Dragon, Tinkerbell, Gladiator, Braveheart, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.); "Pieces" by RED, "Shattered" by the band formerly known as Trading Yesterday (someone please tell me what they call themselves now!); "Undone" by FFH (another major Frodo song), "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling (verse 1 and the chorus remind me of Frodo & Sam); "By Your Side" by Tenth Avenue North (again: only verse 1 and the chorus work for them); "Requiem for a Dream" by Clint Mansell, a lot of X-Ray Dog, Celtic Women, Audio Machine, and Immediate Music, as well as Vitamin String Quartet; "Happy" by Secrets in Stereo ('cause it reminds me of Sam & Rosie), "No Need to Say Goodbye" by Regina Spektor, "When September Ends" by Green Day (another Frodo song); "A Little Bit Longer" by the Jonas Brothers (Frodo), "If Today Was Your Last Day" by Nickelback *deep breath*; AND "Gift of a Friend" by Demi Lovato.

~Frodo (the Second)
nethris
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2011 11:51
Omnia and Celtic Women, and like Frodo said before me, lots of soundtracks. Soundtracks just have that kind of Epic sound that fits Middle Earth, ya know?

Also a lot of Tolkien inspired metal, Battlelore and Blind Guardian are what immediately come to mind. I mean, honestly, how can one not like a song with lyrics like : "In my thoughts and in my dreams/ They're always in my mind/These songs of hobbits, dwarves and men/And elves/Come close your eyes/You can see them, too."

On that same note (no pun intended), "Lament for Lórien" by Wuthering Heights has become my new favorite song. Clicky :love:

[Edited on 8/12/2011 by nethris]
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2011 03:39
Most of the artists/music that comes to my mind has already been mention, but here one artist that hasn't been named. David Arkenstone. A lot of his music fits Middle Earth
and he even did a very awesome cd called "Music Inspired by Middle Earth."

And Blackmore's Night, I can easily imagine some of their songs being played in the Shire or at the Prancing Pony.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2012 04:25
I just saw this video and now I associate the song with the Elves. What comes to song... it's in the page.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What kind of music takes you to Middle-Earth?
on: March 06, 2012 05:58
ENYA!!! Come on, that woman has a voice of an elven maiden!
alwynweiss
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2012 11:58
Enya for me ,really conjours up LOTR feel.
Morglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2012 06:14
Don't ask me why, but it's Three Day's Grace for me. But perhaps that's because I was breaking in the new albums when I read LotR.
Hey, does anyone else experience strong associations between books and music? Like, if you were listening to one particular album alot when reading something for the first time and every time you listen to that music you think of the book? Because I get that really bad
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2012 03:41
all the movie music...... and whoever said celtic women a while back, your my new best friend!!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 09:15
I agree with Frodo~the~Second. " This is home" is a Frodo song! I really like it too. Celtic women too, the movie music (especially Into the West, AWESOME SONG!, Concerning Hobbits and Hope and Memory. I like Twilight and Shadow. If i go on like thins, i will be talking for hours! ) and some Andrew Peterson songs
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2012 01:49
I like Blind Guardian. One of their albums actually has Morgoth on the cover. My favorite song is "Nightfall".
"A king is he that can hold his own or else his title is vain." -NelyaFinwe Maitimo (Maedhros)
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2012 02:29
i have never heard of them
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2012 09:20
do any of you have the Hobbit soundtrack? if so, what is your favorite song? mine is the Misty Mountains. I also like number 7.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2012 03:32
I cannot find The Hobbit soundtrack as of yet but I will keeping looking. I have heard of Blind Guardian but have never listened to their music. For those of you who like rock, on YouTube there one called Lord of the Rings Meets Metal. Check it out. Has anyone heard of ShaDoWCa7? She is on YouTube and does great LOTR and Hobbit songs. Her "Misty Mountains Cold" is breathtaking! (to me)

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2012 10:48
i will check it out
Amaille_Valin_Idhren
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2012 11:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQkCwFzf3Ag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3I0rVhmiWU&playnext=1&list=PLF1F1F1634D4D50A9&feature=results_video

These song always remind me with rivendel
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 01:16
very pretty!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 09:22
Those are very nice, Amaille_Valin_Idhren. It is good to see you posting. Welcome!

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 08:44
Maybe check out the Russian ensemble "Caprice"

http://youtu.be/bAKad26bQrE
http://youtu.be/l1_tc3XgDSM

They're Tolkien-esque, but have their own "elf language." I don't know if they're still active. This is their only wikipedia page: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprice and you'll have to hit the "translate" button (on Google Chrome).

BTW, they're on Prikosnovénie Records at http://www.prikosnovenie.com which is a very fey, magical music place.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 09:36
beautiful!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2013 09:16
Outstanding! I really like listening to the LOTR soundtracks. I can go through the entire Trilogy just by listening to the music.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 12:45
i can too! i have the names of the songs memorized. My favorite on the Hobbit soundtrack is the Song of the Lonely Mountains
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 12:45
i can too! i have the names of the songs memorized. My favorite on the Hobbit soundtrack is the Song of the Lonely Mountains
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2013 07:55
does any one have the Hobbit soundtrack
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2013 04:04
I still have not been able to find it anywhere I have looked. Legolas23, what store did you go to for the soundtrack of The Hobbit?
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 11, 2013 04:29
Try Amazon...that's where I got mine.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2013 06:09
Hannon le, BerethEdhellen, I never thought of Amazon.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 11, 2013 06:10
I just ordered my copy of the soundtrack from Amazon, too. Can't wait to listen to it.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 10:01
I got mine at Walmart. LOL
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 10:01
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 01:32
For me it's mostly the LoTR soundtracks. Though there are a few songs that make me think of Middle Earth, 'Some Nights' by a group called FUN does it, along with 'Warriors of Light' by Freedom Call.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 02:27
I have never heard of them before!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 02:55
Well, then here's the links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sORH6uAjNJ8 Some Nights by FUN and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBII4Qfzf-8 Warriors of Light by Freedom Call
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email