Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What kind of music takes you to Middle-Earth?
on: January 18, 2013 09:52
Sigur Rós, which is an Icelandic ambient-rock band. They really transport me to Middle-earth.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 03:27
cool! i like you avatar by the way. lol
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 01:54
"Concerning Hobbits" & "Evenstar". ♥
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 04:34
yes, those are some of my favorites!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 05:40
Actually I was able to get my hand son some of the music that's being promoted on the front page, Elven Voices The Fellowship, and it's got wonderful stuff that makes you feel like you are in Middle Earth.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 06:19
oh neat! where did u get it?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 11:38
Found a place to download some of the 2006 version on the internet. But the re-make (of which I can't wait to get my hands on) I think the article or link tells you that you can order it from Amazon and a few other places...
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 04:39
My favorite tracks off of the movie score is "The lighting of the Beacons". Its only on the Complete Recordings. Man, that song gets my blood pumping!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 08:26
me too!
jakalova
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2013 10:38
Sort list of Tolkien/Epic Metal bands:
Ringwraith - Black Metal, not for the faint of heart or ear.

Blind Guardian - One album of Tolkien inspired metal and solid power metal for the rest.

Hithlum - Atmospheric/Ambient metal that uses spoken quotes from LoTR. Very good to have on low volume while reading.

Isengard - melodic black metal, not as extreme as Ringwraith. Good mood/reading music.

Osgiliath - Folky black metal, easy on the ears.

Uruk-Hai (Norway) - Pre-Burzum project of Count Grishnakt with members of Immortal.

If you like your metal and your Tolkien these are just a few bands that may hold interest for you. (Disclaimer: The bands/groups that I have recommended are for Tolkien inspired music. I am not responsible for anyone who delves into Black Metal as deep as I have. Good Luck.)
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2013 12:45
I'm checking out some of those bands, jakalova. Thanks!

For me, besides the soundtracks themselves I'd say Enya, Celtic-inspired music, and some folk/bluegrass music.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 12:26
I agree with you on Enya. I like Native American flute music as well.

Question..What is Black metal? Is it the same as heavy metal?

jakalova, the bands sound really good. The only one I have heard of is Blind Guardian.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 05:22
Oh I agree about the Native American flute music! I forgot about that.

From Wikipedia: "Black metal is an extreme subgenre of heavy metal music. Common traits include fast tempos, shrieked vocals, highly distorted guitars played with tremolo picking, blast beat drumming, raw (lo-fi) recording and unconventional song structures."

It's more popular in parts of northern Europe, I think. Many heavy metal bands borrow inspiration from Tolkien. While not a heavy metal song, the iconic "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin was written about Galadriel. The music doesn't do much for me personally, but the lyrics are good.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 09:37
Thank you, Cillendor, for the info on Black Metal. I guess I would listen to it just to see...or would it be hear?...what it is all about.

I will never listen to "Stairway to Heaven" the same way again. And speaking of Led Zeppelin, I think the song, "Ramble On" mentions Mordor.

Why do you suppose so many heavy metal bands were influenced by Tolkien?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2013 06:27
I pretty much only listen to Christian music, and there are a few songs that remind me of LOTR/Hobbit people. One is by Plumb called Need You Now, and it always makes me think of Frodo. I've bosted the lyrics because probably not many people on here know it.
Well, everybody's got a story to tell
And everybody's got a wound to be healed
I want to believe there's beauty here
'Cause oh, I get so tired of holding on
I can't let go, I can't move on
I want to believe there's meaning here

How many times have you heard me cry out
"God please take this"?
How many times have you given me strength to
Just keep breathing?
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.

Standing on a road I didn't plan
Wondering how I got to where I am
I'm trying to hear that still small voice
I'm trying to hear above the noise

"God please take this"?
Just keep breathing?
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.

Though I walk,
Though I walk through the shadows
And I, I am so afraid
Please stay, please stay right beside me
With every single step I take

How many times have you heard me cry out?
And how many times have you given me strength?

"God please take this"?
Just keep breathing?
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.

I need you now
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.
I need you now
I need you now
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
jakalova
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2013 06:52
@Cillendor: IIRC Stairway was written after the band performed one of Aleister Crowley's rituals. I do know that Misty Mountain Hop, Battle of Evermore and Ramble On were very Tolkien inspired songs.

@Lindarielwen: In the Scandinavian metal scene the imagery of Vikings and of Tolkien are heavily used. Mainly they are used by bands that want to show a defiance of Christianity by drawing on pagan culture. For example Varg Vikernes a.k.a. Count Grishnakt's first band was Uruk-Hai, he was a session musician and lyricist for other Norwegian bands as well. His main solo project 'Burzum' takes the name from the inscription of the One Ring. (Burzum means Darkness.) Varg is not a person to be admired IMO, as he is a murderer and defiler of graves. He also burned a 500 year old church. I do think that he is very intelligent and talented however.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: April 16, 2013 03:06
And at the other end of the spectrum...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25FpoSLXrCY
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2013 06:19
The ISB was another band that purposefully shunned the whole "get big in the U.S.A" thing. The ground-breaker was, of course, Fairport Convention. And after FC and ISB and Steeleye Span, et al., Europe started to get more introverted and folky. Now, thanks to the Internet, we can sample a whole range of Euro-folk that would have been totally unknown pre-Internet/YouTube days. Check out this: http://youtu.be/cgTjaUnPQD4 It's Vashti Bunyan, around (probably hung out) ISB. By the way, as I understand, one of the moderators of CoE knew all these people, too.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 08:11
tarcolan, that music brought back some very bittersweet memories. I so enjoyed it.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 11:38
HuldahMaria, I do know and love that song by Plumb! It's very rare to find others who share the same music interests as me I love the lyrics to that song. I think my other favorite song by her is "In My Arms."

As for other music that reminds me of Middle Earth or LotR, I think most of it is the music from other movies that have related genres (along with the LotR soundtracks, of course). I love the music from Narnia, the Hunger Games and Pirates of the Caribbean as well. I have some of the soundtracks from these movies, and I listen to them whenever I have a LOT of work to do. It's great for concentration And for relaxing or reading. Music like this really helps me to get into whatever I'm doing and to do it well
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 11:38
HuldahMaria, I do know and love that song by Plumb! It's very rare to find others who share the same music interests as me I love the lyrics to that song. I think my other favorite song by her is "In My Arms."

As for other music that reminds me of Middle Earth or LotR, I think most of it is the music from other movies that have related genres (along with the LotR soundtracks, of course). I love the music from Narnia, the Hunger Games and Pirates of the Caribbean as well. I have some of the soundtracks from these movies, and I listen to them whenever I have a LOT of work to do. It's great for concentration And for relaxing or reading. Music like this really helps me to get into whatever I'm doing and to do it well
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
itariliel
Council Member
Send Message
Runrig - especially Running to the Light. A lot of Vaughan Williams and Holst reflect a quintessentially English landscape which takes me straight to The Shire. I'm trying to think of the music that sends me to Rivendell which is where I would choose to live (though in the film it looked a bit draughty!)Loreena Mckennitt does some wonderful pieces and her voice is so pure.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Of course the music from the movies, but penny whistle or flute are good too (basically things reminiscent of "Concerning Hobbits".

Sometimes it is sounds more than music that would "take me to Middle Earth". Especially trickling water. We have a water purification system for our house installed in us girl's closet that makes lovely calming water sounds. Once, I completely imagined myself to Rivendell listening to it.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
For me, inspirational songs, like 'Move Along' and 'If Today Was Your Last Day'
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
Alot of music reminds me of Middle-earth- mainly because the lyrics seem similar to feelings and events in the books- but I have a certain fondness for Blind Guardian, Enya, and Wir Saen Din Wind by Saltatio- can't remember last name but it begins with an M.
"A king is he that can hold his own or else his title is vain." -NelyaFinwe Maitimo (Maedhros)
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
Well for me, (and I'm not sure if they have been mentioned before) there's a couple of very talented people on youtube that make very lovely music. Definitely, has that
Middle Earth feel. They call themselves "Forest Elves" and I highly recommend looking them up. ^^
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
For me, it is the music of Nature that takes me to Middle-earth. The sound of the birds in the trees. The crows cawing as they fly overhead. The water rushing over the falls and splashing as it hits the rocks below. The wind whispering in the forest. The crickets at night. The sound of a star as it shoots across the sky. The soft sound of bare feet as they walk upon the grass. These sounds and more are the music of Middle-earth to me.

[Edited on 10/09/2013 by Lindarielwen]
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Feyna, I think "Forest Elves" is tremendous. It's so amazing how many people are doing "Elven" music and art. I agree, Lindarielwen, Nature has the best "sound system." Nature is one big "sound garden." I just found this on YouTube from Martin Romberg: http://youtu.be/cyM1tSf6J6I

[Edited on 10/12/2013 by tarcolan]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I cannot click on the link

I forgot to mention the sound of the Watcher splashing in the little lake, in the dark, outside my house.
tarcolan
Send Message
Just copy and paste it into the address bar of your browser L. Or highlight it and drag it there. Or shall I make it into a link for you? Would you like that? Hmmm?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
A link would be much appreciated, kind sir.
tarcolan
Send Message
Post What d'you want, jam on it?
on: October 12, 2013 08:27
Ooooh you're sooo lazy L. It's now a link.
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
http://youtu.be/D8YT5u878Lo This makes me sad that I'm (still) not in a Middle Earth world.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Veni Veni Veni Bella by Mediaeval Baebes reminds me of Lothlorien or maybe Rivendell for some reason.

Gaia by Faun brings to me visions of Pelargir, where a mixing of cultures would be.

Willows Waltz by The Gothard Sisters has a Middle Earthy feel to it.

[Edited on 10/27/2013 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Anything from the movie soundtracks, of course. And then celtic music, and a lot of the stuff from the Disney movie Brave.

Like Huldah and lotrelessar, I listen to mostly only Christian music. Mostly the rock stuff, however, and one of the songs that reminds me of Middle Earth and the War of the Ring is called Frontline, by Pillar. A few others are I Will Not Bow, by Breaking Benjamin because it reminds me of Aragorn, Fading, by Decyfer Down because it reminds me of Frodo and his ongoing and worsening struggle as he carries the ring to Mordor, and Arise by Flyleaf because it reminds me of Eowyn and how she wants to go fight for her kingdom.

OK. Im done babbling for now.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email