Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Turin175
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Silmarillion
on: December 11, 2011 07:17
Okay, one thing that I am confused about Middle-Earth is Valinor. First the Valor hid with great big clefts of mountains, and then after the Dunedain King, corrupted by Souran led a forced attack on Valinor, the Valor took the continent off of Arda right? Or is it still there physically? This is a question I get asked often by others who haven't read Tolkien's wroks, but the subject still confuses me, I guess my reading comprehension just isn't very good.
Could someone pleas help with this question?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post RE: The Silmarillion
on: December 11, 2011 08:38
You make the Valar sound like a bunch of wimps, running away crying after Melkor smashed their nice lamps. Heh heh. You're correct though, the continent of Aman was removed from the confines of the world after the attack by the NĂºmenorians, and Arda was made round. I'm not sure it was the Valar who did it though, I think they handed over to Eru to sort things out. Typical! Where it is now I don't know, presumably in the Void, lit only by starlight.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Silmarillion
on: December 11, 2011 11:00
You are correct in that Aman was removed physically from the World, but it's a bit difficult to easily explain after that; although we know the Elves could still sail there, as well as a few exceptional mortals too. Tolkien himself once noted...

'the exact nature of existence in Aman or Eressea after their "removal" must be dubious and unexplained', as must the question of 'how "mortals" could go there at all.'

JRRT, Reincarnation of Elves, Morgoth's Ring

For myself, I imagine that the Sun still shone there, whatever 'science' might have to say about that. And I don't think the world was actually made round at the time Valinor and Eressea were removed, although that seems to be a fairly popular belief.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email