Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post Who's the most powerful elf in Middle Earth?
on: December 15, 2011 11:09
Who do you think is the most powerful of the Elves in Middle Earth?
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Who's the most powerful elf in Middle Earth?
on: December 15, 2011 02:05
I know the coolest elf is Glorfindel. (Don't deny it, you know he is. )

As for the most powerful, it depends. Are we talking out of all the elves ever mentioned in all of Tolkien's works or just elves that were present/alive during the events chronicled in The Lord of the Rings or what?
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2011 12:56
It's quite easy to answer that if you mean the Third Age: Galadriel.

Out of all the High-Elves, the Noldor tribe were the ones who were the most knowledge hungry and got lessons directly from the Valar and Maiar and were great in learning what they taught. Out of Noldor Fëanor and Galadriel were the best students in skill, and both got into Middle-Earth in the end of the First Age.

Both Fëanor and Galadriel experienced great personal losses in Middle-Earth, but in the long run Galadriel survived and Fëanor didn't. The main reason in the nutshell is that Galadriel gained more wisdom, as Fëanor lost it.
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2011 05:49

Seconded!

I think Elrond and Galadriel were the most powerful in the Third Age. As for the First Age, all Finwe's descendants - especially Fingolfin and his sons - were all extremely powerful. But I guess the Elves had a basically democratic set-up and a lot of co-operation, so it's difficult to say exactly who was most powerful. Of course, Feanor indisputably had the most profound impact, if not the most control. (Despite - or perhaps because of - his weaknesses, he was also one of the most likeable!)
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 11, 2012 01:11
It must be Lúthien.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 11, 2012 01:41
Glorfindel is definitely the coolest so he must the most powerful-est. haha ok well maybe Galadriel.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2012 10:10
It must be Lúthien.

Well, she's half Elf and half Maia, so I guess she isn't exactly powerless either.

[Edited on 13/1/2012 by Elainiwen]
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 13, 2012 09:41
Well, she's half Elf and half Maia
I suppose that excludes her then, so Elrond's out too. Shame. She's alone in having defeated Sauron and putting Melkor to sleep, accidentally it's true but even so...
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2012 02:03
Half-Elves would have to choose whether they live as Men or Elves, because they can't be both mortal or immortal, so that solves their cases. And Maiar are immortal anyway, so you might very well call Lúthien an Elf as well.

My guess is though that because of Melian's Maia shape shifting ability Lúthien could grow the long hair to escape our of her room. Melian wasn't in elf form all the time, after all.

So I wouldn't exclude either one them. Elrond wished the life of an Elf, and elven life he got - case closed.

[Edited on 14/1/2012 by Elainiwen]
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2012 07:52
I think Thingol displays a very powerful presence. I am thinking about his dealings with Feanor and his sons(not face on but through messengers) and the rest of the Noldor who came to Middle Earth.

Even Beren was overawed by the KIng's majesty.
steel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2012 05:06
hard call, depends what you mean "the most powerful."
do you mean who killed the most, best magic, strongest(ect ect)? but if you mean the most powerfull in magic and strenght i would have to say is Fëanor,
coral
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Who
on: March 20, 2012 02:18
If you're asking about an elf who's not dead, Galadriel, Elrond, and Thranduil, I think.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2012 02:21
I would have to also say Galadriel, Elrond, and Thranduil as well.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2012 09:19
Legolas!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2012 07:54
Well, now that i think about it, Legolas might be in there too! He is the Prince of Mirkwood, the first Dwarf friends since the friendship was broken, and was part of the Fellowship. And, he is awesome
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 10:08
If we are talking about living elves still residing in Middle Earth during the Third Age I would have to say it's a toss up between three....maybe four elves. Glorfindel, Galadriel, Elrond, and the maybe would be Thranduil.
Glorfindel, because he defeated a Balrog, and returned from the halls of Mandos/Valinor. And he's one of the oldest elves still residing in Middle Earth.
Galadriel for she was taught by Melian one of the Valar and her land of Lorien was never defeated by Morgoth or Sauron. And like Glorfindel one of the oldest elves still residing in Middle Earth.
Elrond, he may be still young when comparing him to the two elves above but he his wise in lore, warfare, and healing. With the gift of foresight and the willingness to wait and determine the appropriate actions before he acted.
And now for the 'wild card' Thranduil, not a whole lot to say about him, but he did keep the Necromancer from furthering his evil to swallow up Mirkwood as a whole but with Dol Guldur in Southern Mirkwood there was no way to fully rid the forest of that evil.

That's my views...though about the elves that had both stayed in Middle Earth and sailed to Valinor I do not have an opinion for I do not yet have enough information to make a good/decent opinion on that.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 07:10
I think it is cool that Elrond had foresight. I wish i did!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2012 01:41
If Elrond had used his forsight he could have forseen Isildur not destroying the ring and could have actually done something about it. (LOL)
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2012 08:43
I never thought of that!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2012 07:01
Unless Elrond's foresight was limited. Elrond walks up to Gil Galad "i just had a vision we are going to win the war Isildur will keep the ring and you will die" "Well thats a shame its been nice knowing you Elrond" Gil Galad replies. LOL
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2012 08:03
That should be in the joke section! That is funny!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2012 01:07
That is funny. But I kinda think that Elrond's foresight is limited, so he can't foresee everything, just some things. Kinda like some people with a gut feeling that something is wrong, doesn't quite know what is wrong, just that something isn't right.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2012 01:31
I think you are right I think Elrond's foresight is limited to an extent, quick question was he actually born with it, or could it be one of his ring's powers?
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2012 07:27
He might have been born with it because isn'this ring the ring of air? Or is that someone else? I heard it in a book.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2012 11:35
If I remember correctly he was born with it, due to the fact Melian being his great-great grandmother. (Melian was a Maia) So with that in mind, it's not that much of a stretch to say that he inherited it through the mother's side of the family. And if I had to guess Elrond's ring the Vilya has the power to heal and preserve (with the possibility of controlling some of the elements like water), though I don't think the Vilya's power is stated any where. Unlike the other two the Nenya, and, Narya of which their power is more clearly suggested in the LoTR books)
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2012 03:42
I didn't know that! That is neat!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2012 11:00
Well...I'm almost one of 'those' fans....I tend to give most people way too much information about anything LOTR or I find the correct info and give them too much information. I was hoping that I wasn't giving out too much info that people didn't care to know about.

And if you wish to learn more about the world of Tolkien I'd suggest read the Silmarillion and the Histories...yes those books are even more difficult to read, but in the end it is worth it. ^.^
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 01:16
There is no such thing about 'too much info about LOTR'! I have the Silmarillion checked out from our library. It sounds very interesting
Larien Arnatuile
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 04:19
Quote from Hravan on December 16, 2011, 00:05

True that! But Galadrial is awesome too
There's a lot of truth in fiction. Be you- everybody else is taken
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 04:58
I forgot about Glorfindel! He is totally awesome! How could i have forgotten him!?
tarcolan
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 05:40
Glorfindel, Glorfindel. I don't get it. A great Elf yeah but what makes him 'awesome', Leg?
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 08:12
I don't know! Just to get something straight. If Glorfindel the Elf who came to Frodo's rescue after weathertop?
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 09:48
Yep. "Noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!"
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 11:13
Ok, i wasn't sure.
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2012 10:39
Glorfindel just is awesome. You can't analyse perfection.

That apart, he seems the only elf who's actually in control of what he's doing. The others are wise and powerful, but they're a bit like charcters in a Greek tragedy... Glorfindel seems able to get out and do things and make a difference. The others do things, but they don't seem to make so much difference. Even his horse seems to know what it's doing.

Of course this is all more an impression one gets. Elrond and Co got the Ring destroyed, so I daresay they're hardly ineffectual! But there's something about Glorfindel's on-the-spot rescue and his ability to immediately come up with a plan.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email