Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Galadriel and Lúthien
on: January 22, 2012 07:10
I think it's highly possible that these two ladies met in some point, after all they both lived in Doriath possibly the same time, and Melian was close with both of them.

Has anyone else wondered that if there was a meeting or discussion between these two, what would it have been like?

My guess is that Galadriel would have been the sense and Lúthien sensibility.

[Edited on 22/1/2012 by Elainiwen]
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Galadriel and Lúthien
on: January 23, 2012 07:12
I am sure that they would have met and most likely more than once considering they were related. Thingol being the uncle of Galadriel's mother and Celeborn being a kinsman of his as well. Especially since Galadriel had visited Menegroth several time as was friendly with Luthien's mother, Melian. Can't say that I have ever wondered what they would have talked about though. Probably just small talk as I don't recall Tolkien ever crediting Luthien as especially wise or one people went to for advice as they did her mother.
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 24, 2012 02:31
Warning: I've only just gotten active here again... it has been years since I read LOTR and the Sil and UT, HoME etc... so if I say something not quite right please forgive me as I start to recall my previous knowledge.

Its actually an interesting thought, if I remember correctly Melian and Galadriel were very close... in fact the change that happens to Galadriel's character is actually quite amazing; given she 'stood with the Princes' when Feanor left the undying lands... and then in Lothlorien (only 3 ages later:rolling completely resists the temptation of the ring and its power... One of her major influences was Melian and seems to be the main 'mentoring' figure.

I sort of am just wondering now if Galadriel was perhaps closer to Melian and more of a 'daughter' figure than Luthein ... it certainly seems that she picked up more of Melian's character traits then her own daughter did.

[Edited on 24/1/2012 by elvishmusician]
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2012 07:18
That's an interesting notion at least. Also, Thingol seemed to be far more concerned on Lúthien than Melian was, even to the lengths of doing something which seemed unfriendly or distrustful, locking her up in a tree house for her own safety.

Melian pretty much though that was was going to happen was fate, and that she or Thingol couldn't really stop it. That's exactly what she said to Galadriel. Did she know about the details that her own daughter would be involved in that fate, I'm not sure.

[Edited on 25/1/2012 by Elainiwen]
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: January 24, 2012 11:27
Melian certainly seems to know a lot about her family's fates, and others also, though to what detail, it's hard to tell.

On Galadriel representing sense out of the Luthien/Galadriel pair, I'd respectfully disagree. My impression is that she only matured up and grew truly wise after she rejected the Ring, although there can be no doubt about her fair share of wisdom even before. She does seem to have quite the temper and pride in the First Age though, at least according to some versions.
Lúthien seems wiser to me out of the two, at least by Tolkien's standards as far as they can be inferred from the other books (rejection of violence, humility).
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 06:16
Well, it's said that Galadriel had wisdom, but that it grew yet since she came in Middle-Earth, so I see nóleme's point.

Galadriel also met Celeborn in Doriath and he was also wise. It also seemed that they could fix each others' blind spots, even if it took a long time. (Such as grudge against the dwarves, but Celeborn lost his king, can't really blame him too much about it.)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email