Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
kelas
Council Member
Send Message
Post Everything Hair- and Hairstyles-related
on: February 06, 2012 05:09
hi everyone, i'm relatively new here, I just signed up though i've been using the various sources from this website for a while now, it's really really wonderful but one thing I could not find for the life of me anywhere is a tutorial or something of that sort showing me how to make the little loops elrond has in his hair in the front in some scenes. From what I could see they looked almost like a sort of celtic knot or something of that sort, I've been unable to find proper pictures online. So any help at all really would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

[thread title edited by admin for the purpose of having all hairstyle stuff in one thread]
N.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: looking for an Elrond hair tutorial?
on: February 07, 2012 01:34
If you don't get the information you want from one of our members or in one of the CoE sections (such as Last Homely House), you might want to try asking around -for example- this elf-hair thread . I presume you're referring to this hairstyle?

As a side note, since we do not have a thread for hairstyles yet, and with the Hobbit movie approaching, it sounds like it's a good idea to establish one, I will merge your thread into a newly established one in several days. Thank you for starting this topic.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Everything Hair- and Hairstyles-related
on: October 19, 2012 03:48
I'm not sure if this will help, but it has some LoTR hairstyles on it:
http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/default.asp
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 10:07
Those styles are really great, Eruwestiel_Evensong. You know that I tried a few of them and they turned out really nice.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2013 06:47
I want to know if this is even possible!
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2013 12:15
Rodwen, I bet I could figure out the one on the left. The one on the right looks more like a complex version of double fishtail braids with another braid on top.... where did you get the pics from? Was there a website with them? I typed in the URL on the picture and it takes me to an apartment searching website in Texas :/
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
This thread has been buried for a while, but me and Rodwen and Findemaxam are making a Braid Binder of all different braid styles for different length hair. If anyone has any braid suggestions for the binder, let us know! We do the styles ourselves, usually on Findemaxam's hair (hers is the longest) and we take pictures and do step-by-step instructions. Let us know if anyone has any ideas
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I will try to find some cool ones for you!

There are some cool hairstyles here even (not many braids though) -> http://www.freckled-fox.com/p/hair-beauty_4.html

There are some great tutorials here as well -> http://www.justbebexo.com/

And of course this afore mentioned site -> http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/default.asp

[Edited on 05/30/2013 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Thank you Thank you! I wasn't expecting anyone to respond Those hair styles are beautiful And I've seen a lot of BebeXO's youtube videos as well.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Don't forget that the hair styles in the photos above are professionally done. They have access to hair pieces and extensions and fake braids as well.

The Braid Binder you are making sounds very interesting. I sometimes weave ribbons in the braids I put on the sides of my hair.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Oh that sounds like a great idea, Lindarielwen. I will definitely add that to the binder and give you the credit And what you said is true, the professionals have a lot of resources that we don't have access to. I'll just do my best with what I can do. Usually I can do anything with long hair and a bit of hair spray

Oh, and I just realized that I hit 300 forum posts But then I see TPAM and realize that I am a mere mortal and shall pale in comparison, and will never reach her number of posts
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, the Binder in coming along well. I made a section just for Movie and Book braids. I have in Arwens hairstyle when she meets with Aragorn and the Hobbits after they escape the Ringwraiths. And if anyone has wavy hair here and would like to make it curlyer and shinyer, I reccommend using Curl Scrunch. I use Fructis bland- it comes in a green bottle, like shampoo- but anything will do, I guess. And if you have straight hair and want to make it curly without an iron, braid a fishtail braid or a regular braid on wet hair before you go to bed. Sleep with it like that, and when you wake up, unbraid them. Get in some curl scrunch, and then apply only enough hairspray to make it stay- you dont want your hair looking crnchy at all, or else it will not have the desired effect.
I have very loooong hair. Putting it up into ponytails hurts because my hair is so heavy, and I would really like a way to get it to stay back and not in my way. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
lotrelessar94Oh, and I just realized that I hit 300 forum posts But then I see TPAM and realize that I am a mere mortal and shall pale in comparison, and will never reach her number of posts

I thought the same thing when I first joined. I saw all these people with 1,000 plus posts, and I would think it would take soooo long. Now I have...wow, 2,386. I still have a good long while until I get as many as Lindarielwen though.

Let's see, Maxie...a normal braid over your shoulder, a half up, an over-shoulder French Braid (I do that to my sisters' hair sometimes), um...I don't know that I've ever had super long hair, so I'm not really sure what else to do. I will say this though: I wish I had your problem. I want long hair. Mine drives me crazy because of the layers. I can ish braid it, but then part of one of the layers pokes out and brushes against my neck, which is very annoying. *sigh* I guess it will grow out. Eventually.

[Edited on 07/13/2013 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The number of posts I have truly amazes me. I think something happened when I changed my sig months and months ago and it added the change to the number of posts I already had (or something).

I am not very good at styling my hair. I mostly wear it straight with ribbons on the sides. Sometimes I braid the sides and I have been practicing some styles that I got from Eruwestiel_Evensong but again, I am not very good at it. I would like to see your Binder. Will you put it online or someplace?

Mareth_Ravenlock I had layers once and I will never do it again. One length is more to my liking, but your hair will grow out, just be patient.

I also like to add a bit of colour once in a while. I had a few strands of lilac put in around the front about 3 weeks ago and I really like it.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
That must be really cute, Lindarielwen.

My hair isn't exactly layered, it more like a long shag, if you know what I mean.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I do know what a long shag is. I think that is what I had a long time ago.

The tiny lilac strands are really pretty and lots of fun.

Hair grows faster in the summer so just give it some time...it will grow...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I'll try to put it maybe on a different thread here. Maybe under a thread called Hairstyle Sharing? I don;t know where to put it, though. Or I could PM you some of the instructions, Lindarielwen
And Mareth, what is a half- up? Ive never heard of it before, surprisingly.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
As it is hair related, I'd think it would probably just be best to put it here.

You have never heard of a half-up? Wow. There's many different kinds of half-ups. Here's a simple one I got off Google:

But I would normally get all the front hair and put it in the half up instead of leaving some down. My younger sister does half ups when she wants her hair out of the way because it's so short it doesn't really work in anything else.

Here's a braided on I found:

Maybe something like that would work for you.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
wow, that looks pretty! I will have to try it, find the instructions, and put it in the binder. Thanks, Mareth!
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
I've done 'half-ups' before, but I've never heard it called that before My favorite is doing a Legolas half up! All you do is fishtail-braid the hair that's in the half-up. The downside to that is, its really hard to do that on yourself, and I like DIY hairdos And my hair is no longer long enough

Findemaxam, a cute way to get your hair out of the way, and make it a bit fancier without too much work, would be to braid it all the way down, and then wind the braid into a bun and use bobby pins to pin it in place. My friend does this on her hair, and she has longer hair that she has to pull back for work. If you want to get even fancier, part your hair to the side and French-braid it down to the back, and then wind it up into a bun! There's some ideas for ya!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth, the pictures you posted do not come out for me. I get a little red "x"

How do you manage to do the back of your hair with the fancy braids? I wish I had someone who could do it for me.

Maxie, it would be wonderful if you could PM me with instructions. Thank you.

[Edited on 07/19/2013 by Lindarielwen]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Did you try clicking on them, Lindarielwen? If it still doesn't work, you can just try searching "half up" and/or "braided half up" and you'll get plenty of pictures.

We used to always call half-ups "pollyannas", but some of our friends called them half ups, so we kinda picked that up.

I want y'all's binder when it's done, if I may. And no prob, Maxie.

[Edited on 07/19/2013 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Um, I will click on the red x now. Didn't think to do that...sad

Oh that is a half up? I sort of can do that. Not very good though. Those are all great styles and my hair is just the right length for them. I think I will enlist a friend to help me.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will PM you soon, Lin!!!!!!!!! A little bit pressed for time now
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
To bad I don't live closer to you, Lindarielwen. I love doing people's hair, but, as I said, my younger sister got her hair cut recently, and while my other sister that is at home let's me do her hair at times, it's not all that often.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love it when people do my hair, but my mom cant braid and my sister cant either! So when lotrelesser comes over she usually does my hair for me.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
If I ever find myself near you, I'll braid your hair, Maxie! It must be fun to braid.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth, have you ever considered taking Cosmetology? Since you enjoy doing hair so much it might be interesting for you to look into it...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, and lots of times the schools are very flexible in the hous they offer! Theres a school not too far from my house that allows year round addmission. I think you need to have a diploma or GED though, but Im not too sure.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds cool.

My hair is about to my mid-back now! The bottom layer that is. They top layer is a little past my shoulders now.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, more things were added to our Braidng Binder! Something called a Double Dutch and a Double French braid was added. I've yet to attempt these on my sister. Whenever she wants me to braid on her, I dont feel like it, and vice versa. Would it that I lived closer to you Mareth!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, and thanks for your advice, lotrelessar, a little while back.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have returned with my own hairstyle update!!!

I cut nine inches off, and then had my hairstylist cut me side bangs, my first bangs ever. Now I have side-parted hair, and these really swoopy wisps that go aginst my jawline on the left side of my head. I love it much, and the whole hairstyling process was wonderful, getting it washed and dried and everything.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
^^ Yay! I haven't seen you in SO long, I'm always back to school before you get dropped off at our house for Movi Do you like the new style?? Seems like it fits you well!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I do like it alot! I keep getting lots of compliments on it everywhere.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email