Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Homeschool
on: August 15, 2012 03:57
Hey, just wondering, are there any other homeschooled people out there besides me?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
Post Re: Homeschool
on: August 15, 2012 04:47
I was homeschooled all my school life. Never went to public/private school. Loved it. I wouldn't trade it for public school. My kids will be homeschooled, too.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2012 12:36
Of course you know that I am homeschooled, but I thought that I would show my support.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2012 01:35
lol beren, support is welcome haha

I am in my junior year, and have never been to public school
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
CEOofawesome
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2012 10:22
I went to public school for k-5th grade. Doing home school for middle school, probably going to a public high school next year. I like the homeschool set up.
yes I regret my user name no I am not that full of myself
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2012 04:28
I'm being homeschooled. (obviously you know that )
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2012 07:00
Homeschool...Love it!
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2012 04:49
I was homeschooled for six years, 4th-9th. In 9th grade, I took French and physical science in a public high school because my mom didn't think she could teach them very well. Then that summer, my dad got a new job and we had to move, so from 10th-12th I went to the public school so I could make new friends, since we didn't know of any homeschool groups in our area when we first arrived. I do miss it though. I'm a 5th-year college student now (super senior), but I still wish I'd have finished high school at home.
EruvandeGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2012 09:02
I'm most totally home schooled and love it.
Image Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or a secret gate.~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Narmiriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2012 09:43
I was homeschooled. Except for being slightly isolated, it was awesome. I went to a private school up until the fourth grade, and then I was homeschooled until my senior year. I prefer homeschool to community college anyday.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2012 09:34
Quote from Narmiriel on November 3, 2012, 07:43
I was homeschooled. Except for being slightly isolated, it was awesome...

Yeah, I know the isolation feeling too, but I've got friends at church a another guy does homeschool right along with me and we have a homeschool group near us. Plus that I feel less detached from the rest of the world by this website.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Draketh
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2013 05:07
I was in a private school from first to eighth grade but now I'm homeschooling for high school. (I'm a freshman now)
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: February 18, 2013 09:51
I am not homeschooled but I homeschool my two younger kids. Anyway, just thought that you all might like to know that there is a bigger and much more active Homeschoolers thread in the Prancing Pony forum. Here is the link: http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=8683.7
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Hello! Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I am homeschooled, and have been my whole life, and loved every bit of it!
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Elven Fencer I never would have found this thread without your post. I kinda sort of thought I was a loner but now I know I'm not yay!!! I've been homeschooled all my life, well school life. My parents have homescholled for 22 years.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Nearly all of the people that I know who really love LotR are homeschooled. I think that we tend to be a bit more "nerdy" (a good thing), than most kids.

Wow, 22 years. I suppose you must have siblings?
ImageImage
The Halfling
Council Member
Send Message
Hello!! I just found this conversation and got super excited. Say what you will, but I loved being homeschooled! I never went to a private or public school, and I even finished high school two years early, and completed my freshman year of college by the time I was 16. There is just something about finishing your work before noon and having the rest of the day to work to achieve your goals...
"Living by faith includes the call to something greater than cowardly self preservation." ~JRR Tolkien
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
@The Halfling:

Ha ha, yeah, I know the feeling! I would not trade it for anything!
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im glad homeschooling works out for you all, but something tells me I would not like it. Plus, it's too late now for me to change anything! I will be graduating in two years.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
[b]elven_fencer said: Wow, 22 years. I suppose you must have siblings?

Yes I have an older brother and and younger sister.

It's not too late Maxie. Homeschool allows me to focus on the stuff that I'm better at. Like, I'm horrible at math so my geometry course will be a complicated quilt. I love history, writing, and music so those subjects get priority. I hope someday to be a writer and piano teacher. I don't need A+B=C . I even get to fulfill my dreams without college.

[Edited on 06/08/2014 by Cenor]
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well, Im technically doing half of my Senior year classess next year, and Im graduating in two years. I already took the PSAT twice and am signed up to take the SAT, and I have already taken and paid for two AP classes. I am suffering through math, and I hate it and it's hard, but I know that I am not going to need it in read life. (Why must it be proved a square if you can plainly see that it it?) And thankfully at this point I am allowed to choose which classes I am going to take, so i can focus more on my own career and college goals. I do pretty much the same thing you guys do, or very similar to it, except I wake up every weekday at 5:30, leave, and then return at quarter to two.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
This may seem a bit off-topic, but I do not think so.
Public schools do have an unfortunately extremely wide variation in quality.
Then there are the boarding schools, names I have heard are Andover and Exeter (rumor in my time at college had it that the sent 50% of their graduates to Harvard and Yale).
And home schooling (of which I am totally ignorant).
High school graduation. Bachelor of whatever. Maybe even Master of whatever. If you believe you are through with learning with that degree (and I'll throw in the PhD if you do not enter the workforce in a position to use your highly developed skills in the job that you start off in), you are fooling yourself.
If I only knew what I knew at the beginning of my junior year in college in the US in 1975? Or what I learned in the time until I finally entered the workforce here in Germany in 1984?
I would be a moron.
I do not know exactly how many books I have read since 1984 (LotR and others by / about JRRT included), but 300 is a conservative guess.
Compared to school / college, I read books that interested ME, not my teachers and professors. From Theology to Natural Selection. Lots of stuff in between.
If you are interested, you continue learning until the day you die (or dementia overcomes you, as I have had the painful experience in the family).
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
As a homeschooler, one of the things that my family says is "We are always in school." This does not mean that we are always doing homework from textbooks, rather that we never really stop learning. For instance, I know a great deal more about the Battle of Britain than most kids my age. This is because the subject fascinates me, and I have repeatedly checked out books on it. Even though this is a fun subject for me, I am still furthering my education by reading about it.
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I think what you are saying Gandolorin is saying is that homeschoolers don't really have a goal in their life. If you live in Germany I can understand why you don't know much because homeschooling is outlawed there. This is the case for my family not all homeschoolers are the same. My family is closely knit. My brother works for my dad (we own a self-employed business) I have a great relationship with my mom. I can be friends with my sister without being looked down upon. Homeschoolers have a freedom to like elven fencer said study topics which interest them most and excel and stay below "normal" on other subjects that aren't their strong points. I know a little boy who can do basic algebraic math problems and he's eight. Unfortunately his reading skills are "behind". His mother continues to work with his reading but she allows him to continue learning in math. Right now he is learning fractions. I'm horrible at math so my mom figured out that I can learn geometry by making a complected quilt. She lets me spend more time on what I can do like music and writing. A simple grocery trip can result in a lesson in food health. Note that I'm ignorant about in public or private schools being homeschooled since first grade. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor said:I think what you are saying Gandolorin is saying is that homeschoolers don't really have a goal in their life. If you live in Germany I can understand why you don't know much because homeschooling is outlawed there.

"... homeschoolers don't really have a goal in their life."
I would never venture to say any such thing, Cenor. My short comment about homeschooling was so short simply because I am quite definitely totally ignorant on the subject. I was just listing the three paths to a high school diploma.
What I would guess is that, coming from homeschooling, one would have to take some sort of test to qualify for some equivalent of the high school diploma to be able to apply to a college. Alternatively, there might be the possibility of taking aptitude tests at the college(s) of one's choice. C.S. Lewis, the gravitational center of The Inklings, was if not homeschooled, privately taught. And this is more than three quarters of a century ago, so if this is still possible in England is once again something I am ignorant of. But these tests then were nationwide in England, not school-bound - like the SATs in the US?
Anyway, what I meant to say is that having any of the following diplomas:
- high school (or equivalent)
- bachelor (ditto)
- masters (ditto)
- even PhD
If you think you can rest on the laurels of one of those achievements for the rest of your life, you are kidding yourself.
I'm quite ready for a hearty round of yawns here, because my comments may label me as a "Doctor Obvious", but what is obvious to the yawners may not be so obvious at all for others.
Yawn away.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im not yawning, and I get it, Gando. I see what your saying. I am vey fortunate to go to a very good school. I am also blessed to have intellegence just like so many of the other people here. Those two combined factors have allowed me to challenge myself academically (read: teachers throwing me into hard classes) and to pick classes that I am interested in- they're called Electives. You can take extra math or science if thats your forte- for instance, I have a friend enrolled in AP (Advanced Placement, it's a college class you take still in high school that is way cheaper than it would be at college) Statistics instead of Geometry, because she's a math whiz and wants to be a math professor.. And I have another friend enrolled in Forensics instead of Chemestry because she wants to be in Law Enforcement. As long as you fill your credit requirments (for my neck of the woods three math, three science, four English, four history, one music/art and one foreign language), your free to roam and explore what you'd like.

For instance, Maxie the Writer took Creative Writing the fall semester of this year. It counted as half an English credit, but I am still enrolled in English class out of interest. Not only that, but it is an English class one year above my leval (I was a sophomore at the time, I am now a day from being a Junior), so I was a sophomore in a junior class.

Confusing? Sorry.

My electives for the coming year are: French Upper Leval, First Year Spanish, and String Ensemble. My mandatory but yet selected classes are: AP US History, English Four Upper Leval (Senior year English while Im a junior) Enriched Chemistry (slightly more difficult Chem than the norm) and Algebra 2 Trigonometry (which is death. ).

Guess I got a tad bit off topic there. But what Im trying to say is that your right, Gando. We never stop learning, and it is up to us to challenge ourselves to get to where we want to be.

How do you who homeschool get credits to graduate?
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm homeschooled too.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:

How do you who homeschool get credits to graduate?

Well, the laws for homeschoolers and what is required actually vary from state to state. In NC, students have to take a standardized test once a year(to make sure that you are actually learning something,and keep a log of what classes have been taken.). Michigan, on the other hand, has virtually no regulations besides proving that you are indeed attending school.
ImageImage
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
@elvan fencer, yeah, we don't have to take a test like that here in MS.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
@ Mellwen Bronwewen:

It's really crazy how much the laws vary. I have lived in several different states, and each one had different laws concerning homeschoolers.
ImageImage
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Now colleges or universities don't rely ENTIRELY on SATs, but they factor them in as uniform tests held nationwide (or not?). So how and where do homeschoolers take these tests?
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
That's true, most colleges and universities do not rely entirely on SAT/ACT results for admission, although having a good score certainly helps!

Testing can either be the ACT/SAT, or it can be a state-approved test.
Last year, I took a general education test with my local homeschool group. It was an easy way to get everyone in the area tested. I can't remember which test it was exactly, but I do know that it was not ACT/SAT, since I did not have a photo ID at the time.

This year, since I had gotten an ID, I was able to take the ACT instead. High schools that are administering ACT/SAT tests will allow anyone that needs to take them to come, including homeschoolers, and kids that don't go to that particular school.
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I recall seeing many I did not recognize at my PSAT/AP tests, and I beleive that they were homeschooled. It was not a very large amount, though, maybe three people put of the nearly five-hundred in my grade leval at my school.

What I am confused on, though, is the credits: credits are proof that you have followed the course through in it's entirety, maintaining an average of above a 655 in each marking period. The credits are wholly seperate from end of the year intelligence tests or tests on the material you have learned: in my case, Regents exams. Even if you fail the Regents but passed all year, you are able to receive course credit because you did "well" all year. I myself have done poorly, but not failed, on a Regents, and as a result of passing all year, I received credit. According to the colleges I am looking at, passing on a regents means nothing- they want to know how you did all year and how you did on your PSAT/SAT/ACT/AP, if that. So how does a test at the end of the year guarentee that you have learned? (Not that any of you havent! )
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, okay, so basically my mom just writes down the courses that I have taken, and puts down the grade and the attendance record. There is really no way for anyone to verify if I actually took those courses, which is weird, but that's how it is. The only way that I know of verifying if you actually are learning anything is those tests that I talked about earlier. And sadly, there are people out there who take advantage of this system, and don't actually do any real learning.

[Edited on 06/18/2014 by elven_fencer]
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thats so wierd! Especially since it's technically illegal not to do any form of school!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email