Welcome Guest 

Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
AragornEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Favorite Facial Expressions in the movies? (all three)
on: January 25, 2003 06:18
What are your favorite facial expressions in the FOTR? in TTT? in ROTK?

From the FOTR, mine is when Legolas says "This is no mere ranger, he is Aragorn, son of Arathorn..." and Boromir looks at Aragorn "Aragorn?" and Viggo nods his head and his facial expression is just perfect.

In TTT: When Aragorn runs up to Haldir and hugs him. Haldir's face is just great! (and they had to kill him!!!!!!:cry

Anyway... what are yours?

[Edited on 11/2/2004 by Ringhilwen]
AragornEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite Facial Expressions in the movies? (all three)
on: January 25, 2003 06:22
Sorry. That Happy face snuk in there on it's own. It was supposed to be :cry:
CpFan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 06:25
My absolute fav is defenitely when Aragorn hugs Haldir! xD His facial expression is like, "why-are-you-touching-me".
In FOTR, when Galadriel's talking, at one point, Celeborn shot her this look that just plainly says, "why are you talking?!". It's great.
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 07:27
facial expressions? this has to be one of the strangest threads I've ever browsed.. (just HAD to reply)

I liked Grishnakhs expression after merry kicks(?) him in the face....
AND Gimli's after the warg.. fell on him, and after he killed that..poor..little..orc.. *eyes tear up* stupid gimli

also, the goblin in Moria.. the one with the big bulbous eyes, well.. his sinister look was so cute and obviously perfect.

but.. my all time favourite expression, has got to be in TTT when Saruman wandered out into the caverns of isengard to..er.. see the newborn Uruk-Hai, and trailing behind him is an extremely happy looking Orc Overseer.. that was THE best expression! XD

Alcmelwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 11:39
In FOTR, when Aragorn runs past Legolas at Amon Hen....Orlando looks like hes about to fall on his ass. It's hysterical.
BoromirsBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 12:36
My absolute fav is defenitely when Aragorn hugs Haldir! xD His facial expression is like, "why-are-you-touching-me".

Yes! It's priceless! It was so cute to see the perfect, dignified Haldir hugged so spontaniously by Aragorn! *sigh*

Aww! Poor Poffy! i know..poor lil' orc! *sniffles*
Orca
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 12:59
Whee! I have loads of favourite expressions... I love at the Council of Elrond when Merry says 'Well that rules you out, Pip' and Pippin's head just whips round, that's hilarious. XD And at the end of the scene when Pippin says 'Where are we going?' - Both their expressions are great. And watch Frodo in those scenes - he looks so adorable. X3

In TTT I love Pippin's face when he's holding onto Treebeard, and he looks at his face, then looks back round, then kind of goes '... The fuh?!' Classic! XDDDDDDD

I also love any shots of Frodo smiling (such a cute smile, and we don't see him do it often)... Gah, loads more things, I'll prolly reply again when I think of them. XD But those were the first ones that came into my mind.
athelas22
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 05:09
I absolutely melted away when Gollum brought the rabbits and plopped them in Frodo's lap. Frodo looks over at Sam and his eyes are sort of teary and his expression is like, Oh wow! Look Sam! He CAN be nice! He likes me! Can you believe it? Plus it was after the scene where he and Sam had a little fight so i think he was upset about that and Gollum just went and made his day.
Lomion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 05:10
My favorite from Fellowship would have to be the expression that Legolas has after Gandalf falls. Its a look of sad confusion. Almost like a 'what just happened?' type of look mixed with a pain he couldn't really express. He has that same look when Boromir falls. Truly awesome.
From TTT I liked the look on Grima's face when he saw the army of Uruk-Hai. Some say he was in awe some say he was sad 'cause he realized what he had done. Also the look Gollum had when Frodo first called him Smeagol...priceless.
Namarie an si.

[Edited on 26/1/2003 by Lomion]
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 10:56
In FOTR Elrond's face when Merry and Pippin rush in to join the fellowship. Priceless!

And the little exchange of looks by Arwen and Aragorn when the fellowship is leaving Rivendell.

In TTT (and in both movies in general) my absolute favourite is Éowyn's expression when Aragorn interrupts her swort excercise. Those eyes!

The look on Haldir's face when Aragorn hugs him is one of my favs too.
Lil-Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2003 01:36
What a.. strange thread..

Okay, my favourite facial expression from FoTR has to be Legolas' at the council when he sees that Gimili's coming. He's just like 'oh no.. not the dwarf..'.

From TTT it has to be when the Deeping Wall is blown up. Theoden's face! Brilliant! And Frodo's after Sam's 'I don't take much to foreign food..' He just looks so *cute*!
Oh, and Legolas' face when he's looking down at the river after Aragorn falls over the edge. God, I tear up every time. :cry:

[Edited on 26/1/2003 by Lil-Hobbit]
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2003 05:22
I have a lot of favorites, some of them already mentioned here.

From FotR: indeed, the Merry and Pippin thing, it is worth gold! And Legolas' expression when Gimli announces he's coming too.
In the mines of Moria, when first the head, then the skeleton, and then the bucket are falling into the waterpit: the way Pippin squeezes his eyes shut for all the noice, that has me rolling over the ground laughing every time! Also in Moria, the Orc with the bulbous eyes that PervyOrcFancier mentions, is awesome. Have you noticed Pippin's face immediately after that one? It is great!
In Rivendell: when Boromir enters and goes to look at the shreds of Narsil, Aragorn is sitting there reading a book, but he looks up when Boromir enters. That close-up, wow! His eyes really "talk" in that scene, so much expression in there...
Oh, and then when Aragorn kills that Uruk Hai archer who shot Boromir; the look on his face is priceless...
On the way to Rivendell: when the Hobbits want to stop for breakfast. Strider says they already got breakfast, and Pippin replies: "We've had one yes, what about second breakfast?" The look Strider gives him is fantastic.

From TTT: of course, the look on Haldir's face when Aragorn hugs him enthusiastically. I can see him thinking: "Men, what a weird race!"
Also, when Aragorn returns to Helm's Deep, after his fall into the canyon, he meets Legolas, who tells him: "You look terrible." Not an expression, but I love it.
The grin on Legolas's face when he asks Gimli if he has to describe what's happening, or get him a box! Hilarious...
Gollum's, or actually Sméagol's expressions: they're too cute. Especially when he is singing the fish song. So adorable and funny!
And when Pippin sees Treebeard's face, looks down, and then realizes the tree has a FACE, well, priceless.

Hmm, going to end it here, for I can go on and on. But I'll restrain myself for once.

Navaer,
Alaere
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 26, 2003 06:11
FOTR: the Intrigued Bird look Legolas gives when Boromir dies

TTT: Merry and Pippin when they're waiting for Treebeard to tell them what the Entmoot has decided on the matter of their names...
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 26, 2003 07:42
oh that wonderful ... "I have something deep and meaningful to say" staring into the distance legolas look lol ok perhpas not.

my fave expressions. everyones expression on the "well its true you dont see many female dwarves" section..... the whole bit of that, they all looked so happy and like they were having good fun- you dont see that often in these films and it makes nice relief.

in all the films, merrys smug smile (theres a pic of it in RotK gallery) i just think its the sweetest expression.

yeah legolas' "inrigued bird" look that was a good expression.

one of the most heart wrenching facial expressions was that little girl... probably the combination of her litlte face screwed up in tears and her voice, that makes me well up with tears everytime i see it.

oh and the young boys at helms deep, that kid as he says bye to his mum, trying to look strong and like a man and yet scared to death.... that was a powerful expression too
SweetBriar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2003 02:48
Oooh... I like this question. There are several, but the moments that stand out to me are:

FotR: Legolas' expressions when both Gandalf and Boromir fell. (Someone said this before, and I agree.) The first, he seemed to have this look of sad shock and confusion, as if he could not grasp all at once what had just happened. When Boromir fell, Legolas was the last to arrive at the scene after Aragorn. He seemed to observe from a short distance away and appeared to me to express deeply felt sorrow for what had happened.

TTT: Probably on one of the first occasions when Frodo was treating Smeagol with a sense of dignity and humanity. Both of their expressions were priceless to me. Also, in the scene when both Sam and Frodo were asleep, and Smeagol and Gollum were having the argument over who was in control, and at last Smeagol exclaims, "Smeagol is FREE!!!" :heart:

It made Smeagol into someone I cared about--not just some creepy, slimy, naked goblin.

LOL @ k about the "deep and meaningful" Legolas expression... hehe... :drool: ::saves it for the casting forum::
Snapdragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2003 08:16
If I had to pick one, I'd say that the wonderful expression Frodo has on his face in TTT when Sam says, "Don't you know your Sam?" is my fav. Frodo just sort of blinks vacantly. I almost wanted a sound effect for that blink; it was that good. *l*

And it's not a facial expression, but I love the way he lets Sting roll out of his hand right after that.

...Having said all this, I still think the scene is rather disheartening characterisation-wise.
:cry:
Orca
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 09:24
If I had to pick one, I'd say that the wonderful expression Frodo has on his face in TTT when Sam says, "Don't you know your Sam?" is my fav. Frodo just sort of blinks vacantly. I almost wanted a sound effect for that blink; it was that good. *l*

And it's not a facial expression, but I love the way he lets Sting roll out of his hand right after that.

I love those bits too!!!

[Edited on 27/1/2003 by Orca]
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 11:36
Great question AragornEllessar!

FoTR:

Legolas expression in the Council when Gimli decides to come

Aragorn's slight roll of the eyes when Boromir says: "By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe!"

Legolas' confused look at Gandalf's death and Boromir's death

Frodo's frightened look when Aragorn walks right up to him as though he were going to take the Ring (that scene always made me think Frodo had only just noticed how tall Aragorn was)

Arwen's smile to Aragorn before Flight to the Ford

Pippin's impish smile after the "What about second breakfast." line.

Aragorn's confused look after Pippin says the 'second breakfast' line.

Frodo's smile when he jumps up into the picture for the first time!

FoTR Extended Cut:

Legolas' smile when Gimli says: "She gave me three."

Aragorn's smile to Arwen in the 'Leaving Rivendell' scene.

Aragorn's expression and nod when he picks the orc off of Boromir.

Sam's embarrassed look when he realizes Rosie sees him.

Sam's worried expression at the "Does she?" line.

Galadriel's laugh and smile at Gimli!

TTT:

Legolas' appraising look ending in "You look terrible." (DEFINITELY one of my favorites!!)

Eowyn's smile when her Uncle recovers!

Eowyn's ice-glare when Grima says that Eomer's words are lies.

Aragorn's knowing smile when Gandalf manages to keep his staff!

Legolas' knowing smile when he returns the Evenstar to Aragorn.

Gimli's expression when Eomer gets of his horse (there was something quite amusing about that look! )

ALL Legolas' reacting expressions to Aragorn's 'death'.

Legolas 'glad you're alive' look he gives Aragorn right when he comes in!

The determined look Legolas gives Aragorn when they fix their argument! (that is one of the best looks!)

Pippin's expression when he says "The closer we are to danger, the farther we are from harm: it's the last thing he'll expect."

Gollum's expression at the line: "You don't have any friends! Nobody likes you!" (It was this sort of 'isn't it wonderful' look!)

Aragorn's look when he sees Gandalf!

Aragorn's look when he sees Gandalf come to their aid at Helm's Deep!

I'll probably come up with more, but those are some of the best! This was really a dangerous question to ask me because one of the primary things I notice in these movies is their expressions!

This report was brought to you by Lady Arwen who has been known to make grass whistles that sound like humpback whales and scare all the little Hobbits.
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2003 04:10
I've got a few!!!
The look on Pippin's face when he realizes Treebeard is alive
The look on Merry's face in TTT when he's like, "Yes??"
ummmmmm Aragorn's face-all the time!!!
Arwen_The_Elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 10:11
I have a lot of favorites, some of them already mentioned here.

From FotR: indeed, the Merry and Pippin thing, it is worth gold! And Legolas' expression when Gimli announces he's coming too.
In the mines of Moria, when first the head, then the skeleton, and then the bucket are falling into the waterpit: the way Pippin squeezes his eyes shut for all the noice, that has me rolling over the ground laughing every time! Also in Moria, the Orc with the bulbous eyes that PervyOrcFancier mentions, is awesome. Have you noticed Pippin's face immediately after that one? It is great!
In Rivendell: when Boromir enters and goes to look at the shreds of Narsil, Aragorn is sitting there reading a book, but he looks up when Boromir enters. That close-up, wow! His eyes really "talk" in that scene, so much expression in there...
Oh, and then when Aragorn kills that Uruk Hai archer who shot Boromir; the look on his face is priceless...
On the way to Rivendell: when the Hobbits want to stop for breakfast. Strider says they already got breakfast, and Pippin replies: "We've had one yes, what about second breakfast?" The look Strider gives him is fantastic.

From TTT: of course, the look on Haldir's face when Aragorn hugs him enthusiastically. I can see him thinking: "Men, what a weird race!"
Also, when Aragorn returns to Helm's Deep, after his fall into the canyon, he meets Legolas, who tells him: "You look terrible." Not an expression, but I love it.
The grin on Legolas's face when he asks Gimli if he has to describe what's happening, or get him a box! Hilarious...
Gollum's, or actually Sméagol's expressions: they're too cute. Especially when he is singing the fish song. So adorable and funny!
And when Pippin sees Treebeard's face, looks down, and then realizes the tree has a FACE, well, priceless.

Hmm, going to end it here, for I can go on and on. But I'll restrain myself for once.

exactly. i'm with you all the way. (why did they kill Haldir? why why why why why? it's not fair!)
Lothiriel_of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 10:50
Fotr: Pip and Merry in the "Great, where re we going" part and in TTT: Legolas after he says "you would die before your stroke fell" to Eomer. Legolas really has some great facial expressions in TTT...

[Edited on 2/2/2003 by Lothiriel_of_Rohan]
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2003 07:43
Alright...This could take awhile. Here are a few in no particular order

~The look Frodo and Merry have when Pippin says "Where are we going?"
~The look on Aragorn's face when Legolas tells Boromir who he really is
~Gimli's look of determination after he says "And my ax..."
~The look Legolas has when Aragorn falls off the cliff
~The look on Aragorn and Legolas faces when he gets to Helms Deep
~The look on Aragorn and Legolas faces when Legolas apoligizes
~Of course, when Aragorn hugs Haldir, he was comically confused looking
~Pippin when he says "The tree is talking Merry"
~Merrys face when he says "There will be no Shire Pippin"
~Gollum when he sings the fish song
~Merry's face when right before he says "Yes?" to Treebeard

They where all good!
Thats all I can think of at the time.

[Edited on 17/2/2003 by mdcribb]
Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2003 02:10
FOTR
I love Frodo's and Merry's exasperated looks when Pippin asks," Great! Where are we going?"

The LOOK (For lack of better trem) that Aragorn is giving Boromir when he's being corrupted by the Ring.

Pippin's expressions when he knocks the skeleton down the well. There's a really clever Avatar of that here on this site that's my next choice when I get sick of Sam. Priceless!

TTT
I really like Merry's look when he's about to say "Yes?" when Treebeard leaves him hanging in the middle of a sentence. I could hear the word in the look!

I know there are so many others from TTT, but I just can't remember them... Must see it again!!
Pint_sized_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2003 06:46
My favourite part has got to be in TTT when Aragorn pushes the doors open at Helm's Deep and is all like, "Booyah, I'm back." I'm not entirely sure why I like that expression on his face, but its great.
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 02:36
Ok, I got bored halfway through reading the replies so I'm sorry if I repeat things people have already said!

I'll just do FotR at the mo'. Haven't seen TTT for a while so it's a bit sketchy in my memory.

* The look on Frodo's face when Gandalf pulls Sam through the window, and Gandalf says "I have a better use for you". It's just...I dunno. He looks so happy that Sam's going with him!

*Leggi's look after Gandalf falls in Moria. It's utterly mockable. Joey Tribbiani acting classes...

*Boromir's look after he says "They have a cave troll". Classic. He just looks so PO'd.

* Frodo's face at the end of FotR. From "Mordor...let's hope the others find a safer route" to "I'm glad you're with me" you see his expression change from hopelessness, through contemplation to optimism. Gah, I love Elijah's non-verbal acting!

FallenAngel26
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 03:53
I know this sounds horrible, but I loved all the looks on Elijah's face when he was stabbed by the Ringwraith and the Cave Troll. I'm not saying "I love when Frodo almost gets killed," but the look on his face is just brilliant. He's like right there in the scene. It's so cool!
I agree with Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom about Pippin's expression at the Council...that was great!

In the extended version, when Pippin falls in the water at Mirkwood (was that mirkwood? I don't really know...), he has the funniest expression on his face.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 07:13
I love the facial expression when Legolas comes to find Boromir almost dead. He looks so sad and confused! :cry:
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2003 11:21
Favorite expression..see my sig.

I also love Aragorn/Haldir hug, All of Legolas' confused/sad expressions when there's a death, Arwen when she tells her Dad that he has her love,

when Gandalf is trying to open the door of Moria Frodo has a very appealing look on his face,

when Gandalf is riding into Edoras he makes an appealing look..Aragorn has quite a few appealing looks himself..like when he opens the doors. Oh, yes I love the expressions of Merry and Pippin when they decide to attack!

And what about when Frodo calls Gollum Smeagol?

There are too many great expressive moments to mention since all the acting was so superb
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: February 21, 2003 11:54
From FotR:

Merry when Pippin chooses the 'big one' from Gandalf's cart.

Bilbo's face in Bag End when Gandalf says, "Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks."

Arwen's last smile to Aragorn before she takes off on Asfaloth

After saying, "Gondor has no King. Gondor needs no King," at the Council, Boromir sits and glares at Aragorn. Boy, if looks could kill...

Merry and Pippin as Galadriel and Celeborn show themselves in Lorien

Legolas' resolved/prideful look at Amon Hen when Aragorn says, "We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death."

From TTT:

Gollum when he looks at Sam and says, "Nice hobbit."

Definitely Pippin's first reaction to Treebeard

This one above all

Can't think of any others at the moment. May edit later and add a few.
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2003 01:20
Four I have to add:

Merry's face while stacking plates for Gandalf

Merry's face in the pause after Treebeard tells him the Ents have reached a descision

Gandalf's face when Frodo says He will take the ring to Mordor

Sam's face when seeing Rosy dancing..so shy
we_wantsss_Aragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2003 01:19
Oww this is cool: i love so many facial expressions:
-The way aragorns looks at Gimli before helm's deep, when gimli has that much to large thing on, which is a little tight around the chest
-haldir's "i'm much to tighed-up for hugs" look
-aragorn's my path is hidden for me look
al of merry and pippins: this is the first time i see that look (mouths open, u know what i mean)
frodo's flash of Galadriels eyes (one who has seen the eye!)
the changing face of that hobbit: after gandalf fires fireworks to the kids, when his wife appears
-frodo's look after gandalf "died" in Moria, it makes me cry all the time
RosieCotton
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2003 03:31
LOL I love Frodo's expression's when he puts on the ring in FOTR
Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2003 05:59
FOTR : That look Aragorn gives the Hobbits when Pippin says 'second breakfast'. It's sort of a 'riiiiiiiiiight' kind of look and it cracks me up every time!.

The look on Legolas' face when Gandalf falls, sort of bewildered and in anguish, it always makes me tear up:cry: .

The look on Pippin's face when Gimli says "And after that, it gets even better!" He goes from this cute little grin to a 'oh shi...' kinda look in about half a second. Priceless!

TTT : Aragorn's expression when he's talking to Eowyn after dreaming of Arwen. It's so heart-sore and depressed it makes me wanna cry!

Haldir's expression when Aragorn spontaeneously hugs him. Cracks me up whenever I think about it! It was just like "oookaaay, this is a bit too close for comfort.....get off me please....."

Merry's look when he shouts at Treebeard "But you're part of this world!!" He looks so determined and he kind of seems bigger than he looks. It's really great.

Arwen's face when Elrond asks her if he also has her love. It seems like she's just kind of crumbling and it's so sad.

The little girl's face when she has to leave for Edoras. Her face is tear-stained and her voice is breaking....*sniff*:cry:

Aragorn's look when he arrives at Helm's Deep and pushes open the doors to the throne room. He looks so awesome, determined, fearless, and....kingly....
Lintelómiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2003 11:47
Yippee. I have loads of favorite facial expressions!

FOTR:
Legolas, when they get out of Moria. And at Boromir's death. sniff...:cry:
Haldir: "The dwarf breathes so loud..." arrogance! I llllllike it!
Aragorn, when he sees Gandalf fall into shadow. so beautiful...
Sam is a master of facial expressions! I love them all! Sam is just so cute!
Aragorn, when he approaches the Uruk-hai army at Amon Hen. Coooooool!

TTT:
Sam, when Frodo says: "Lead the way Sméagol."
Elrond, when he has the telepathy-thing going on with Galadriel, one of my favs! He looks so...troubled...
Théoden, when it starts to rain at Helm's Deep. He looks up at the sky, looks ahead again, it starts to rain and not one muscle moves! he just stands there, like: ok, rain.
Legolas, when he finds the Evenstar and looks down at the river...:cry:
Legolas, when Aragorn returns. Ah! the smile, the smile...:love:
Sam, when he smiles at Frodo after seeing the oliphaunt. too cute!
Merry and Pippin at the Ent Moot. y'all know what I mean...brilliant!

And that's not all, folks!

[Edited on 28/2/2003 by Lintelómiel]
dana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2003 08:14
Fellowship:
--Legolas after Boromir's death
--Pippin's face after Gandalf verbally bashes him at Moria
--Boromir's face when he realizes he's holding the cave trolls' chain
--Legolas when he says "why doesn't that surprise me"

TT:
--Legolas when the lightning strikes at Helm's Deep
--Merry when he's waiting for Treebeard to continue his sentence
--Gollum when he says "no" (while he's talking to himself)
--Gandalf and Aragorn's exchange when Gandalf gets to keep his staff

and i HATE the weird look Eowyn has after Theoden is restored--she looks like half her face is melting off

that's all i can think of
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email