Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite Facial Expressions in the movies? (all three)
on: February 24, 2004 02:28
*lmao* just thought of another one - the look on Grima's face when Gimli says "I'd stay still if I were you" *lol* so funny
Lotr_Fanatic690
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2004 02:58
My favorites are
1.The seriosness of Pippin the the fotr ee when he says,"4" or something after Legolas said,"One bite of lambas bread fills the stomach of a grown man."
2. Aragorn's look in rotk when he turns around and says "For Frodo" at the battle of the black gate.
3. The look on the hobbits' faces when everyone bows to them :cry:
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2004 11:47
My favorites are
1.The seriosness of Pippin the the fotr ee when he says,"4" or something after Legolas said,"One bite of lambas bread fills the stomach of a grown man."

Yes, another Pippin classic. And I love the way in the commentaries, that Orlando Bloom describes that scene as his Lembas commercial, and the way he says the line again - "One bite of Lembas bread......" in a much more exaggerated manner.
Lady_Anie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 01:56
I have loads and loads! This is gonna be a long post

FOTR
- Merry's face when he says "I think I've broken something!" and looks at the carrot :love:
- Ok this is so little and only on for like a second, but Merry's face when he takes his hood off after the Hobbits enter The Prancing Pony. I love that look!
- Legolas' face when Gimli joins the Fellowship. Classic!
- Pippin when he knocks the skeleton and bucket down the well. :heart:
- This is also really little and only on for half a second (I like minor details dontcha know?), it's the smile Frodo does when Gandalf has Sam on the table and says "I've thought of a better use for you."
- When Sam looks at Rosie dancing, blesh! :love:
- It isn't exactly a facial expression, but I love it when we see Arwen for the first time, kinda coming out from that white light.
- Aragorn's face when he says "but to disappear completely, that is a rare gift" and takes his hood off :drool:
- Frodo looking back at Aragorn just after they get out of Moria, and we see the tear rolling down his cheek

TTT
- Gollum's face after Frodo calls him Smeagol.
- When Aragorn comes to Helm's Deep and Legolas says "you look terrible." :love:
- Legolas' face when Gimli says "you could have picked a better spot!" You can tell he's trying really hard to keep a straight face so it cracks me up!
- Gandalf The White when he comes back all shiny and new.
- Both Merry and Pippin's face when Treebeard is talking slowly, saying "we have decided....." lol, they're both just like
- Aragorn's face when Eomer says they left none alive after they found the Orc's and Uruk-Hai.

ROTK
- Merry when he's in his armour, on the horse with Eowyn. I've forgotten exactly which part this is on, but I think it's just before battle when they're on Pelennor Fields. He kind of bites his lip looking scared but brave at the same time. :drool:
- Eowyn when she gives Aragorn a drink near the beginning, bless her!
- Also Eowyn's face when Aragorn tells her he cannot give her what she wants.
- Another Eowyn one! When she's crying and King Theoden comforts her, it's quite sad.
- Outside Mordor, when Aragorn shouts "for Frodo!" and runs towards the gates with his sword high. It's just brilliant!
- Also at around that point, when Legolas says "how about riding with a friend?" :heart:
- Sam's look of devastation when Frodo says he doesn't want to destroy the Ring, when they're in Mount Doom.
- Sam and Rosie when they get married.
- At the end, when Frodo turns to Sam when he's leaving.

There are loads more but I'll leave it at that, we don't want it to be more of an essay than it already is!
Casterino
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 02:20
In ROTK, the best facial expressions all have to go to Sam, a testament to the great acting of Sean Astin. The look or hurt when Frodo belives Gollum over him regarding the lost food, and as Lady_anie said, the look of devestation when Frodo refuses to destroy the ring and puts it on at Mount Doom.
I think by now, all the great ones have been said, for me in FOTR (theatrical and EE) it's the parting looks of Aragorn and Arwen as the Fellowship leaves Rivendell, Gandalf's look when he realises the right way in Moria, the looks of everyone after Gandalf's fall, and Merry and Pippin's shock as Boromir is hit by arrows defending them.
In TTT (theatrical and EE) it's gollumn when Frodo shows him respect and the joy at defeatin his alter ego, Gandalf's look of relief and joy when Aragorn tells him Sam went with Frodo to Mordor, the defensive look Sam gives over the 'slat for roast chicken' bit, Theoden's look of shock when the wall blows up. It's his faalt for saying 'Is that it?'
and what I think must be the best facial reaction of all, virtually everyone's said it...Haldir's Oh, you're hugging me'!
Minyaisilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 09:13
Oh my goodness people, I was reading this thread for what seemed to ME like forever minus a decade... I get to the bottom of the screen to find out I was only on the FIRST page!! So screw it, here's my list, I think I have a lot:

FOTR:

1. Gandalf, while riding with Frodo in that cart...carriage...thing, he looks over at Mr Poudfoot, and looks back ahead of him - funny to me
2. Gandalf's face again after Bilbo disappears - close up
3. Pippin's face while saying "oh, that was close"
4. Merry's, Sam's and Pippin's face at the Prancing Pony after barging in on Aragorn and Frodo with Sam's - "Let him go, or I'll ave you LongShanks!" - cracks me up every time!
5. Pretty much all of Elrond's expressions - so dignified!
6. Aragorn, in Rivendell, sitting reading a book. Boromir walks in and plays with the shards of Narsil then SLOWLY looks over at Aragorn and they stare at each other - priceless!
7. Pippin when he says "it comes in pints? I'm getting one"
8. The Look Legolas gives Gimli at the Council of Elrond when Gimli says "and I suppose you think you're the one to do it" - he's saying "shut ou Dwarf!"
9. Pippin's and Merry's face right before running out to announce they want to go too - you can see it, "we wanna go too" look
10. Boromir's look towards Aragorn after he sits down after his "Gondor has no king, Gondor needs no king" line - whoo

Alright, I'm done for the moment... as I said, I have too many and I'm not even done with FOTR yet!
fosca44
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 07:58

3. Pippin when he and Gandalf meet Faramir ..."you've seen Frodo and Sam!"

Aah yes, I love that. Actually the thing I like best is to see how very uncomfortable Pippin is when Faramir just stops talking and stares at him for the longest time. You see Pippin hesitantly looking down, then his eyes shifts a bit and he doesn't know where to look or how to react.

How stupid it may seem, that is my favourite facial expression in all of the movies
blixy18
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 05:43
this is sooo hard!!!
ok, i have so many so i'll just sum it up. all the funny ones that everyone mentioned in the council of elrond (legolas when gimli joins fellowhship, pippin when he joins, etc.)
i don't think i really paid much attention to the facial expressions in tt. so i don't really remember the haldir/aragorn thing that everyone's talking about, i'll go watch it rite after this, lol.
but in rotk, there are sooooo many but the one that stands our, out of all of the movies actually is probably the very last scene with frodo when he gets on the ship and he turns around and smiles. i cried soooo hard, tears of joy...that's my absolute favorite facial expression, it was the first one that came into my head when i read the title. then i read the ones on the first page and all these popped into my head, but that one with frodo.
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 10:53
When Denethor asks Pip to sing, and he says "We have no songs for great halls - and evil times".

The way he pauses slightly before saying "evil" and the look on his face - do you think he's talking about Denethor, rather than the times? It didn't occur to me the first couple of times, but since then I've been struck by it, and I think he's so shocked by Denethor's treatment of Faramir, that he's talking about his new boss!
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 04:23
I love the way Eowyn looks at Aragorn.:heart:
léfalí
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 08:13
YAYE!! great thread!! And I agree with you all!! Am giggling and sighing at the memory of all these great moments. yesyesyes!!!

But I may have a new one to add (didn't read all the five pages either, shame on me... )

my all time favourite facial expression from the trilogy is a funny one:

Legolas' face at the gate of Helm's Deep when Theoden is putting Gimli back in his place after his "these are no mere orcs"-speech. OMG makes me cry with laughter when I just think of it.

He's in the background and I only noticed it when I watched the DVD, it's sooo funny. This 'wait a minute, how dare he talk to my dwarf like that? I should kill him for it. But then, he's the f§~@=! king. Why does Gimli keep tearing me into situations like this...' mwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

It's mirrored in the face he makes when Sauron whispers to Aragorn in RotK, again in the background, this time a 'I'm not impressed, don't you think I'm impressed'... ROFL

(and I'm saying this with deep respect for O.B.'s achievement!)
Minyaisilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2004 12:02
I think I'll move on to TTT:

1. In the beginning, after the Rohirrim show up and Gimli gives his line "Give me your name, horsemaster, and I shall give you mine" - Aragorn kind of half rolls his eyes at him. That look clearly says "was that really necessary, Gimli?"

2. Eomer's expression after Grima says something about his "...war mongering" - and Eomer is like "war mongering?? - I love that look!

3. Gandalf's expression after he reveals that he's alive. And everyone else's.

4. Legolas's "angry" look as he, Gandalf, Aragorn and Gimli enter the throne room to see Theoden. At first I was like why is he looking so mean? Then it hit me - he had to give up his weapons at the door, so no more bow! LOL

5. Both Eowyn's and Theoden's looks when Theoden is like "I know your face... Eowyn." Awwwww sweeeet! :heart:

6. Eowyn at her sword play - when she spins around and "meets swords" with Aragorn - fierce! Watch out!

7. Helm's Deep - After Haldir and Co. show up - his face when Aragorn hugs him - cute! And Legolas in the background when Haldir says "we are proud to fight with men once more" or something like that - my god,it's just so silly!

Ok, I need a breather...
Swashbucklin_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 12:29
OK. my favorite in FOTR is right after Gandalf says "A Balrog" Look at Legolas's face. I'ts a "Oh-cram-what-next?" look, and it makes me laugh every time.
ring_of_barahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 02:54
one of my favs is in the beginngin of FotR:EE where Sam is planting this flower and he picks it up and looks at it, and there's this one second where he looks possessed...

and at the end of RotK, where Frodo kisses the top of Sam's head http://www.warofthering.net/ahobbitstale/galleries/rotk_greyhavens1.htm

and after pippin lights the beacon and it catches flame, he looks down with the 'I've lit it, i'm a hero... CRAP it's burnung under me! NOT GOOD!' look on his face
ring_of_barahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 02:58
and I love it in FotR when the fellowship gets confronted by haldir and co. Gimli's face is great when he almost walks in the arrow and pip's face is great, he's like freakin' out, nad legolas is great, he's like 'I'm outnumbered and I don't care, BRING IT ON!'
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 09:36
I have a few:

Haldir when Aragorn hugs him

Arwen when she comes around the standard at the end of ROTK

Lurtz when he grabs Aragorn's sword and pulls it into him as if to say well "#$%@ you!" - brilliant - who says stunties can't act?

Sam when he looks at Frodo after seeing the oliphants for the first time - the look of wonder is great

Legolas when Gandalf falls

Boromir when he looks at the hobbits when he's dying

Boromir when he looks at Aragorn and says, "They have a cave troll."

Aragorn when Gandalf pushes him and says that "swords are no longer of use here" when they are being chased by the Balrog.

And my favourite of the bunch and the best acting - Faramir - when Sam tells him he has shown his "quality" - also his surprise when Frodo stops him from firing on Gollum. That boy will go a long way in the movies.

[Edited on 6/4/2004 by EruanwenSaeriel]

Niennafefalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 10:13
Legolas' confused face *sighs*:heart:
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 10:27

And my favourite of the bunch and the best acting - Faramir - when Sam tells him he has shown his "quality" - also his surprise when Frodo stops him from firing on Gollum. That boy will go a long way in the movies.

Faramir's expressions are wonderful throughout the film - he has an amazingly expressive face. I like the ones you mentioned as well, plus the look he has when Denethor is hugging Boromir. That's quite heartbreaking! And of course, the teary eyed look in ROTK when Denethor agrees that he wishes he had died instead of Boromir. :cry:
léfalí
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 12:36
OK. my favorite in FOTR is right after Gandalf says "A Balrog" Look at Legolas's face. I'ts a "Oh-cram-what-next?" look, and it makes me laugh every time.

teehehe... yes, Legolas does have some unwillingly funny moments, doesn't he. (funny faces, funny lines - 'a diversion'???)(But that is already being discussed elsewhere...)
I love that. And, strange enough I can still take him serious. I just tell myself that I'm too mortal to go where he comes from, to understand these expressions... And I LOVE his expression when they find Boromir and the moment he realises that he will be too late to safe Aragorn in RotK!

But there are others, too. Celeborn has some very nice and funny ones. Or that acompanying elf when Arwen is turning back in RotK 'Lady Arwen???'. Unbeatable.

Not to mention all the serious, emotional, touching and ... sigh...

I think of the emotional moments my favourite one is Eowyn's 'what other duty would you have me do' in RotK *shudders* but, aah, so many favourites...
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 09:14
if you use slow-motion, there's a funny one. go to the scene in TTT where Gollum and Sam are talking about 'taters. right after sam says something about fried fish, presh the slow motion button and watch gollum's face as he's getting ready to spit. i had to pause the movie and i hit it at the right moment and found that face.......... tehehe.....
Miss_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 04:20
One of my favorites is when Boramir says "by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe" and aragorn rolls his eyes.
Another one is when Theoden wants to know "why" he should help gondor, and Aragorn looks at him like "are you serious?" I love Gollum's expressiond too :twitch:
Frodolivesforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2004 02:37
when Frodo turns to Sam and says "we're not alone"
When Frodo is on the floor in the Prancing Pony right before the ring slips onto his finger
anything with Grima Wormtongue!
Laurelin222
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 07:06
TTT EE, when Aragorn tastes Eowyns stew! Especially when he trys to pour it on the ground and ends up burning himself. And then at the end when he just kind of gives up and eats it while Eowyn watches him. It cracks me up every time!
honerbright
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 02:07
my all time fav expression is in rotk when eowyn pulls merry onto her horse and he says 'my lady' and grins, that grin had me roflmao.... okay im weird arnt i?
~*~Gemz~*~
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 04:07
When Pippin sees Treebeards face - Always make me laugh, the classic double-take

When Aragorn hugs Haldir - Could that look be any better???

And I gotta go with Laurelin222 - That look when Aragorn first tries the stew is hilarious

Gotta add one more - At the end of TTT Gollum/Smeagol figure out what to do with the hobbits the Smeagol side gets this really good smile on his face

Just_a_Wolf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 12:53
Ok, don't know if we've had this one already (because six pages is a lot to wade through), buuuut..

In RotK when Elrond is telling Aragorn about the Path of the Dead, it cuts to a dead green bloke, and when it cuts back Aragorn pulls this wonderful 'Eeeew' face ... it's so sweet. Bless. :love:
ViggoBliggo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 07:46
My favourite expressions:
FOTR: Bilbo makes his birthday speech. Frodo's face is like thisBilbo starts talking about"I regret to announce...this is the end!"Frodos smile begins to disappear. Bilbo vanishes...and Frodo's face is just so wonderfully...dumb...
TTT: Treebeard opens his large eyes, Pippin looks into then and"Aargh!"...his face is so funny..
And Haldir's face tells only one thing when Aragorn embraces him. Haldir's face tells:"Hmm, actually I think, I'm getting used to this smell. Jesus Christ, how many months have passed since he had a bath?"

And from ROTK: Arwen's look at the coronation"chukle chukle, Oh daddy, don't take the banner away...I'm a bit shy...giggle giggle...oops, hi Aragorn, look whose here...chukle chukle...ooh, aah, Estel, Estel, stop that, I can't breathe, I can't breathe!"(smooch attack)
morwen_steelsheen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 12:03
My favourite one is from FOTR, when they all are in the Council of Elrond discussing who is going to destroy the ring, and Frodo says that he will do it: the look on Gandalf´s face is... well, I have no words to describe it, but it´s like a perfect mix of happiness and sadness.
Vulkhan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 10:36
I love in TTT when Pippin sees Treebeard and he's like "AUH!" and in ROTK at the end when Frodo is in Rivendell and Gandalf comes in and Frodo says "GANDALF?!" oh my god, that face is hillarious!
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 06:01
Ok I know some of these have been mentioned before but:

FOTR: When Merry and Piipin run in and say "We're coming too!" and the look on Elrond's face is just hilarious!!!

TTT: When Arwen is crying because of her father has said that Aragorn will die she's basically like: I hate you! ... but you're right!

ROTK: Well I could go on forever but here is just a few:

When Faramir said "You wish now that our places had been exchanged? That I had died and Boromir had lived?" His expression on his face was perfect and I felt sooo sorry for him!

When Eowyn challenges Eomer "Why should Merry be left behind. He has as much cause to go to war as you. Why can't he fight for those he loves?!"

Also when Aragorn sees a dying Arwen in the Palantir I think the expression on his face is hilarious! He's like "Eeeeekk! Why did you have to go and do that!?" It's quite good really 'cos Sauron then knows his one weakness: his love for Arwen :love: ! (Ahhh bless!)

Next when Aragorn has a tear in his eye and his says for Frodo! The last one is when Arwen and Aragorn kiss :love: and Aragorn is stroking her cheek as if he can't believe that it's true! Awwwww!
IntotheWest23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 09:05
i can't really think of anything but in TTT EE the second scene (i forget what it's called, but it's something lyk it's a little part of home) and frodo goes "roast chicken??" and sam's like..what? it's sooo great i luvv that scene! :love:
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 09:03
It was surprising to me how many of Aragorn's came immediately to mind...maybe because Viggo plays him as so basically introspective, when he does give a facial reaction, it's so striking.

But anyway, I've tried to pick three comic and tree dramatic:

Comic:

The look on Frodo's face when Pippin says, "So, Where are we going?"

The look on Aragorn's face when the Mouth of Sauron introduces himself. I think there's something sort of "out of place" about it, but it still makes me laugh.

The look on Pippin and Merry's faces as Sam proposes to Rosie.

Dramatic:

The look on Aragorn's face as he struggles with the prospect of becomming King in Fellowship of the Ring. There are several scenes between him and Boromir where he is incredibly uncomfortable in the face of Boromir's humble plea for help...of course, the very best in when he promises Boromir not to "let our people fail"

The looks on Legolas's face as he struggles to absorb the concept of death--both Gandalf's and Boromir's

The pleading in Frodo's eyes as he says, "I'm not like you, Bilbo..." He's so afraid he's a disappointment to the only father he's ever really known...I always find the scenes between Frodo and Bilbo touching

[Edited on 20/1/2005 by hobbitnamedeliza]
~Arwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 10:08
everyone's face changing from joy to dispair when the Mount Doom blows up and Frodo and Sam are there..that is priceless!

The look on Aragorn's face when the Mouth of Sauron introduces himself

his face is like..."so this is the MOS.....ewww..." lol,
Faramir's face when he had that "heated up" convo with his father

The looks on Legolas's face as he struggles to absorb the concept of death--both Gandalf's and Boromir's

R: When Merry and Piipin run in and say "We're coming too!" and the look on Elrond's face is just hilarious!!!

lmao! thats true

Aragorn seeing Arwen in the Palantir, and Éowyn's face in the TT when she's told that Aragorn fell
Lady_Ednew
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 06:27
Theoden as he leads the Riders into battle, knowing he is going to die, but without fear:heart:
mook8515
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 06:39
in FOTR EE neat the beginning when Gandalf is tlaking to Frodo on Gandal'fs cart. For a split second Gandalf turns his head to see Frodo but the sun is in his eyes so he has to swuint and the result is all of his face being squinted and squished. Anyone know what I am talking about? I can get a screenshot if prtscrn lets me. His expression amde me laugh a lot and resulted in many rewinds.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email