Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
desertfoxuk
Council Member
Send Message
Post Does anyone know what transcript this is in
on: November 13, 2012 01:41
Hi im trying to decipher some Elvish can anyone help with the translation or do they recognise the transcript font? Thanks in advance

Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Does anyone know what transcript this is in
on: January 15, 2013 11:42
If I remember correctly it looks like it's written in the Tengwar Sindarin mode...Yea I'm only able to translate a few 'words' (still new at translating so I could be wrong) min (we) tad (two) nad (thing) those are a few of the words that I'm able to translate, so I would not be surprised if I am wrong.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 12:51
Just out of curiosity where did you find this? I agree it looks like it should be Sindarin but I can't translate much of it. I'm not the best elvish translator though.
My opinion is it looks like someone was just experimenting with the different characters and didn't really write anything comprehensive. I have no idea what the wavy equal signs are supposed to be. Why don't you try posting this in the Sindarin forum?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 01:51
I asked a friend to transcribe this for me, and it comes out as:

I cash nad changae-a-leben nelchaen-ar-odog, eneghost-ar-
odogaen-a-neledh forod (54 73;376). Min canad,tadh
ost-ar-enegaen-ar-odog annûn (1 4;762).

Which translated into English reads:

The [?] something forty-and-five thirty-and-seven, six thousand-and-eighty-and-three north. One four, two hundred-and-sixty-and-seven west.

Looks like co-ordinates to me.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 04:45
Co-ordinates, yes, and a mix of Sindarin and English, considering "cash". Also it mixes the mode of Beleriand with the tehta mode.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 05:13
Yeah, that's what my friend said (one day I will study Tengwar!) - the first transcription came out a bit odd, with 'j's instead of 'g's.

Apparently it's co-ordinates to a house in France, I'd be curious where the OP found this originally!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 11:18
Ah, mixing the modes...that's why I didn't get the few portions that I tried to translate at all!

And 'X' marks the spot? o.O'
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email