Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
If I had the choice, I would go between the two. But I think I'd like it better there.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
As it probably always was, our modern reality is a mix of good and bad. But that doesn't keep us from wanting more good out of life and the world. Still, when today's reality has so much truly degenerate about it, and there seems to be tricksy Sarumans everywhere, then the good doesn't seem to cover it or balance it anymore. Then we find ourselves wanting a place where the good had true champions, like Aragorn and Galadriel and Gandalf and Eärendil. We want to hear and see and know Elves like Legolas and Arwen. It's probably a sign of mental and emotional good health to want such a Middle Earth . . . where the evil was directly challenged by the heroes.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Very well said, parluggla.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Umm, being an elf in ME? Do you folks with such wishes have a really good direct line to Eru?
Luthien and Arwen are the only elves permitted (the Valar acting as intermediaries) the choice of becoming mortal who actually made that choice. If and what the other children of Elrond (Elladan and Elrohir) may have had to choose between when their father left ME is not quite clear in the literature (aka HoME) .
The other way around, only Tuor (Silmarillion), father of Earendil and Grandfather of Elros and Elrond, may have been allowed “to be counted among the elder race” (something like that). And that is stated in speculative terms, because no one has come back from Tol Eressea or Valinor to confirm this.

And being dropped in ME would only be viable for me if I were instantly given the skills necessary for the role I were to play there. I have no skills in agriculture and animal breeding, nor in pottery or smith work of any kind, nor in weaving – come to think of it, wood chopping is about it .
And being a ranger – ouch! Think Bilbo, no ring, no Sting, no experience gained between Hobbiton and Mirkwood, just “beamed” into the middle of the spiders of Mirkwood …

And last, JRRT made it quite clear: we live in ME! It’s about the Seventh Age now (ages shrinking in duration from the 3000 plus years of SA and TA). The Elves, Dwarves and Ents have disappeared, at least into hiding places inaccessible to us. It’s just us Hildor left – and by all signs, the Orcs too, they must just not be as hideous to look at as they used to be .
And the Elves are definitely not coming back. They have had eons of time to watch what we have done in ME all by ourselves with none of their counselling – not a pretty sight by any stretch of imagination!

[Edited on 12/01/2013 by Gandolorin]

[Edited on 01/05/2014 by Gandolorin]
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
I quite agree with Gandolorin. M-E is some distant, inaccessible past of our earth-- but look what a mess we've made it now. I once dreamt that I found a portal to Middle Earth, but it was one-way only. I decided that if we went to M-E, we would transform it into a variation on our world-- choked with pavement, pollution, and politics. But when I woke up I felt as though I was given that one chance, and no other, to go to Middle Earth, and I had passed it by. That made me think for a long time!
Image Image
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
Post Reality vs. Middle Earth
on: January 24, 2014 03:26
Julianna Greenleaf said:lets say that you have the wonderful opportunity to go to Middle Earth instead of reality, the only catch is that once you are there, you can never come back to this reality. would you still go?
If you choose to go, what would your life be like there?

I would go in the blink of an eye, no questions asked.

And my life might not be what I'd fantasize about, but it would definitely be more interesting. I would try to travel as much as I could. And would try to stay the heck away from Mordor. *laugh*
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Agreed. Though be sure not to wear any plain, gold rings when you go, too.
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Agreed. Though be sure not to wear any plain, gold rings when you go, too.

Maybe shouldn't wear my Nenya and Evenstar cheap replica either. *laugh*

Or maybe I should. Might help get to places.
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email