Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2930313233Last >>
Author Topic:
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Nippeking
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! This site is really great!
One does not simply take the Hobbits to Isengard.
anexasnivihs
Council Member
Send Message
Gi suilon! I greet you (I hope I am correct )
Hello everyone,
I'm male, from India, but currently pursing graduate studies in the United States. While I haven't read all the books (reading LOTR and silmarillion are on my to-do list), I read Hobbit when I was very young and immediately fell in love with the world created by Tolkein. My affair with Middle Earth and all its dwellers continued through seeing the movies.

I came across CoE hoping to learn Quenya. This seems like the right place to be and a great community every Tolkein enthusiast should be a part of. It would be great if someone could guide me to the right Quenya lessons and teach me a thing or two about starting my journey with Elvish. Again, it's great being here and I hope to get to know most of you eventually.

Farewell!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings Nippeking and anexasnivihs! Enjoy your memberships!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome anexasnivihs! I can't help you with the lessons question, but I'm sure you will soon find what you're looking for. I hope you enjoy your time here!

[Edited on 09/07/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Hello and welcome Nippeking, AprilUndomiel and anexasnivihs! Glad to have you on board.

For learning Elvish you've come to the right place . You'll find many other students in the Elvish forums, to chat and help you out if need be. There's also a studdy-buddy thread there anexasnivihs, so you should be able to find someone there to help show you the ropes.
But don't forget to check out the rest of our site, we've got loads of wonderful stuff here!
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome anexasnivihs and Lisa! I hope y'all have a wonderful time here!

[Edited on 09/08/2014 by Mellwen_Bronwewen]

[Edited on 09/08/2014 by Mellwen_Bronwewen]
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Lisa! Welcome to CoE!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
hawkling
Council Member
Send Message
Hello from Portland, OR, USA
Im new, and am excited to begin learning Quenya! I love love love LoTR, and have read all the books. As I am 11, this was an accomplishment for me. I go to a Talented And Gifted (TAG) school and love to read. if you have any suggestions for books similar to LoTR, please recommend them to me!
Middle Earth or Bust!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Hawkling. I'll be contacting you concerning your age, as this is a PG-13 website. Please refrain from posting in the forums until we clear it out .
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Hawkling.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Just a reminder for everyone: please read the 'Members under 13' post in the newbies forum before joining. Since our site is PG-13, you can only join when you're 13 or older. Hawkling's account had to be removed until he turns 13 (of course we made him aware of this before doing so). So to avoid unnecessary disappointments, please at least read that post if you're planning to join (and perhaps the forum rules while you're at it ).
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello and welcome to CoE all newbies
Sundown
Council Member
Send Message
Howdy y'all. In our household, my wife, is the big LOTR fan. She loves history and I'm always amazed by how much history she knows with regards to the elves in LOTR. The ancestry, the history, the stories that aren't told in the movies that bring much more to the story than I knew existed. She has the books, some in triplicate. Any information she can find in relation to the books. In fact, we just went to the book store to see what LOTR books have been put out based on the movies. Specifically, for decorating ideas. I love the country in the style, so no complaints from me.
So, what really brings me here is my wife's birthday is coming up and in a couple months. Trying to decide what to get her for her birthday and for Christmas, I always split up between LOTR and Equestrian items (my wife's sport).
While reading through some of the books at the book store I read about Tolkien's linguistic work and thus began my research on his elvish languages and I have arrived at your door. While I suspect my wife would love the ancient Quenya language I could not be sure if she would want to study it before or after the Sindarin language. I know she will probably want to study both. I plan to buy her dictionaries for both languages and introduce her to this site and encourage her to sign up for the workbook assignments.
I plan to learn alongside my wife so she has someone to practice the language(s) with. We both love to role-play and I am sure she would incorporate the language into the game as well. I suspect we will have a lot of fun learning this together.
Being a software developer (by day), I know the work that goes into setting up and maintaining a site like this and I am very appreciative of y'all for doing this!
"Sundown: 'Sexy, right?' Abby: 'Oh yeah, baby. You're so hot right now, if I was a chicken I'd lay hard-boiled eggs.'" ― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Retribution
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings Sundown!

I bet that would be the best birthday gift in the world. This is the place to learn Elvish and we have a few active role plays so enjoy!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Sundown, welcome to CoE!
That sounds like a great way to get a new member (well, two ). Very original idea, I hope she likes it. Dive right in and if you need some more assistance with languages, hop over to our languages forums. Many members are studying them so you'll get plenty of help.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Sundown. I hope you have a wonderful time here, and I hope you find some nice gifts for your wife.
jonvieave
Council Member
Send Message
Post Hello!
on: September 29, 2014 01:46
Greetings! I'm Genevieve, a new fan still working her way through through the trilogy, in the good ol' US of A. My friend got me into the books, and I loved The Hobbit, even though I found it a challenging read. I'm fascinated by the amount of information we have on Middle Earth that comes directly from Tolkien himself, I really admire his world creating abilities. Enough about me though, it's nice to meet you all!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Genevieve! It's great to have you here!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Genevieve. Nice meeting you. Enjoy your membership! There's plenty to see and do around here (you can have a look at the newbies guide if you need some tips).
Galadedrid Damodred
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all! I'm new here aswell. Always wanted to learn either Sindarin or Quenya, and this seems to be the place! I'm just not sure whitch to choose:

I want to be able to read, translate(to and from) and use elvish in every day life, ideally. Or more easily spoken; I want to learn the language that there is most to learn about What would you recommend?
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Galadedrid Damodred said:What would you recommend?

Checking out the languages forum. The Other Languages subforum is specifically designed for questions like yours.
You can consult this thread -
http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/thread/22824/page/1/
or this thread-
http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/thread/36530/page/1/
or post your question as a new thread, though it's better if you use one of the existing ones (there are a few more lurking in that forum, I believe).

Good luck learning, and welcome to CoE.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Galadedrid Damodred, welcome to CoE. For more info about the languages and personal opinions about preferences, you best follow noleme's advice. The language forum has all you need . Good luck!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Galadedrid Damodred! It's great to have you here with us.
sunclaw
Council Member
Send Message
hi my name is mark
i live in lebanon
i found coe while i was searching for the lord of the rings online game
hobbies: online games - watching lotr and the hobbit again and again and again ...
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message

Welcolme Newbies! Have fun here!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to CoE, Mark Sunclaw!
I was in Lebanon ages ago (1965) for a short stopover with my parents (at least two full days plus arrival day plus departure day). I have memories of looking out from our hotel room on some part of Beirut harbor, and visits to Baalbek and Byblos.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome sunclaw, glad to have you on board! Enjoy your membership.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Mark, sunclaw. So glad to have you here with us!
Voraman
Council Member
Send Message
Post Newbie Here
on: October 08, 2014 04:12
Hi my name is Robbie (or Voraman) and I am very interested in learning Quenya, and am about to start my first workbook lesson. I am a music major in college in America, and one of my dream goals is to write a symphony with choir in Elvish. Any hints or advice for a newbie? Also, if possible, can someone tell me if my translation of this Bible verse is correct: "If God is for us, who can be against us?"

Qui Eru nai òmë, mana polmahtantë aralmë?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Voraman!
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, newbies!!!
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi Voraman, welcome to CoE. For ideas about what you can do on our site, have a look at the newbies guide here in this very newbies forum.
For any question relating to Elvish (including translations), I suggest you head over to the Elvish forum. You'll find many fellow Elvish students there.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Robbie! It's nice to have you here with us.
Olvar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Hello
on: October 11, 2014 09:54
Hello I am pleased to meet you

I'm Olvar

I just discovered this web site and it is very nice.
<< First2930313233Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email