Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First4445464748Last >>
Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen Cemename Ithilien of Lorien! Welcome! Hope to see you here again!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Cemename Ithilien of Lorien
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Arveleg
I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance one existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died toghether. We come to honkr that allegiance.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Welcome to the site Cemename! I hope you enjoy your time here. If you have any questions, ask away.

[Edited on 06/30/2017 by gondolinian]
Cemename Ithilien of Lorien
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Evil-Shieldmaiden. Thank you so much.
I don't remember how long ago i had found the site, i think before months but im not look it. But im here now. I try to learn Sindarin, i had download lessons and i think i do well. And mu nick is from a story i wrote in a Greek forum with a girl based in Lord of The rings

[Edited on 01/24/2017 by Cemename Ithilien of Lorien]
I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance one existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died toghether. We come to honkr that allegiance.
Buffalo Bill
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone! How are you?
Firstly, I feel if my English is somewhat poor, since I am from Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
I just registered and the first thing is to introduce myself.

I am a lover and passionate of The Lord of the Rings, collector for a long time, and now I do in my spare time my own props, always trying to be the most faithful to the originals.

Little by little we will get to know each other, and surely we have good times!
A greeting!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
¡Hola! Buffalo Bill! I live in Germany and have been to Mallorca half a dozen times on vacation (and thus can speak a few crumbs of turista Spanish ). It wasn't in Palma itself, it was in Paguera (or Peguera? what is it called in Mallorquin?), near the south-west corner of Mallorca. Nice, relaxing family vacation location, and apparently very popular with my fellow Germans - and the total opposite of „Balneario Nº 6“, infamous in Germany as "Ballermann (6)", though things may have calmed down a bit by now.

[Edited on 02/03/2017 by Gandolorin]

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Mae govannen Buffalo Bill! Welcome to the site! Don't worry about your English we're an internationally based site and have people from around the world here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

theladystardust
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen! I'm brand new here but a long time Tolkien fan. Recently I've been falling in love with his work all over again, so I'm excited to be a part of this community! I'm very interested in Elven culture and would also love to complete the Sindarin and Quenya workbooks as I love languages and speak two fluently I can't wait to cook, make, write, read, and absorb all things Arda once more. Nice to meet you all!
“Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.”
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Mae govannen, theladystardust! Welcome to the Council of Elrond. I hope you find the site interesting, and that you meet some of our members on the chat. If you have any questions about the site, or what it offers, ask away and somebody will be sure to assist you.
nostalgic
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, I'm Brian. I'm sixty years old, from Central NY State, Male. Found out about CoE from a friend.

Read The Hobbit and LotR for the first time in about 1971. Am 50 pages from finishing it the fourth time (oh, please don't let it end!) today. Will tackle The Silmarillion right after. Have an operation coming up, so will be stranded at home, and forced to read for about two weeks (could be worse, right?) Will tackle some secondary lit (for the second time) as well as some Lord Dunsany and William Morris (Well at the World's End.)

Here's my philosophy :Not interested in anything that came after Tolkien, no other fantasy (save maybe Ursula K. LeGuin and Mervyn Peake.) Not interested in anyone else's "version" of LotR, including any other media exploitations. Basically for the same reason as Christopher Tolkien. I don't mind if other people enjoy that stuff, but I don't.

Here's my dilemma: I get terribly depressed as the world passes by old purists. I mean clinically depressed. I find fewer and fewer "old people" to talk about the books with. I hope this forum will help me find others who feel the same way.

Thanks for this forum, BTW. What a cool thing!

~ Brian

[Edited on 02/12/2017 by nostalgic]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Mae govannen, Brian. There are a number of purists on this site, and a good place to meet them is The Fans over Forty thread in the Prancing Pony forum.

If you enjoy innocuous, but fun games, you are most welcome to join us in the Games section of the Entertainment forum. There's also an excellent book Forum, with some excellent Tolkien Loremasters and Loremistresses dropping in from time to time.

We hope you enjoy your time here.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, Brian, as Evil~Shieldmaiden mentioned, there's the The Fans over Forty thread, for which I am marginally more qualified than you are, having just turned 61 (and Evil~Shieldmaiden is also well qualified, besides having been on the site quite a bit longer than I have - end of November 2013 in my case - and actually a (multiple?) moderator, one of the people keeping the site running). My involvement with JRRT dates from 1983 - saw Ralph Bakshi's 1978 semi-cartoon movie which made it to the Battle of Helm's Deep, then read a German Translation of LoTR - and more seriously 1985 when I bought an English paperback version of LoTR, with The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, and Book of Lost Tales volumes 1 and 2 following shortly thereafter. And I have continued collecting books by and about JRRT since then.
Diwa
Council Member
Send Message
Aiya!
Don't even know how to start. ;D Nice to meet everyone who reads this.
I'm quite new to this site, but I'm definitely not new to Tolkien's world. I'm been a fan for a while now. I love reading books.
Ah, yea, basics... I'm 19 years old student. From Lithuania (if anyone heard about it). I'm not perfect in English, so I apologise in advance.
So... I don't know what to say more...

Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Mae govannen, Diwa. We love having new members and, if you're a Tolkien fan, you've certainly come to the right spot.

As for being perfect in English, not to worry. If you get stuck, we'll be happy to help you.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings newbies! Welcome to the Council!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings Diwa! Hope you are able to return!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Jenimcsan
Council Member
Send Message
Post Newbie... Bit nervous!!
on: February 20, 2017 10:50
Hi, I am Jeni new to CoE and forums!!! just started to learn Quenya (literally been just over a week) and have to many questions
Diwa
Council Member
Send Message
Aiya, Jeni! Welcome

I'm studying Quenya as well, although I doubt I would be able to answer all of your questions, there are people who know it wayyy better than me of course.
I just started like few weeks ago. But I hope I'll be able to help you with something

Don't be afraid to ask in the forums, I'm sure you will find some answers there

Again, welcome! Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Jeni. Have fun here and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Neurion Lancaeron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello!

I'm just coming back to the site again after a long dry spell, it was a little over whelming the first time around so I'm going to give it another bash! If anyone is/or knows anyone looking to start learning Sindarin I'd love to get in contact with you

Slán
"Not all who wander are lost."
Thomashthecrazy
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all, I am new to the site. Been a fan of Lord of the Rings for around 13 years, and randomly decided to read Silmarillion recently. I found this website looking for ways to learn Elvish, and it seemed interesting.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Oh my. So many newbies! Great to see you all flooding in again. Welcome to all, both new (hi there Thomasthecrazy) and old (welcome back Neurion Lancaeron).
For tips about learning Sindarin I'd check out the Elvish lessons we have Neurion, as well as the Elvish forums. That's one of the most active parts of the site so there should be plenty of other 'students' ready to help you out.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Ezoa
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone!
My name is Ezoa, I'm 17 years old and I decided to join CoE after having visited the website quite a few times as a guest!
I'm trying to learn Sindarin (even though I already have too much to do because of med school). I'm a very low level beginner - so if anyone wants to be my study partner to help me, you're welcome to message me.
Nice to meet you all!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Ezoa and welcome to CoE! For study partners you better have a look over in the Elvish forums. You'll find kindred spirits and more experienced Elvish students there. Good luck with the lessons (and med school )!
Rike 19-99
Council Member
Send Message
Hi I'm Rike. I'm 17 years old as well and just finished my first lesson in Sandarin. I'm a huge Hobbit and LotR-fan. Last night I watched all the LotR-movies! And after that I wanted to understand the elves. I didn't know that there are so many recourses in the internet. It's amazing. I will learn Sandarin until I am prepared and good enough to meet Legolas and other elves. Maybe someday...
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Rike! If you watched them all in one night, you couldn't have watched the extended editions I would say . Time to binge-watch those! Good luck with the Sindarin lessons, we've got many students and loads of materials to get you going. Enjoy!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hello to all newbies, welcome to a wonderful site.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Welcome to the site everyone. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Hello and welcome newbies!
Rike 19-99
Council Member
Send Message
Okay in the next holiday I have to watch all the extended editions of the hobbits and Lord of the rings one behind the other. How many hours does that take?
And how long does it take to speak a little bit elvish? It feels like I learn one lesson and only minutes later I can't recognize a single word! It sounds so beautiful and I want to speak and understand as soon as possible. Does anybody have tips for me?

And my second question is: What does lampwright mean? I cannot find it in an english -dictionary.

[Edited on 04/19/2017 by gondolinian]
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
It should take you about 11.5 hours if I'm not mistaken .
Hard to say how long it will take to speak elvish. Learning a language or a new skill takes practise, the more you practise the easier it will be (as a general rule, bar a few exceptions ). So it will depend mostly on you. In terms of tips all I can suggest is to check out all the material we have in the Elvish section and to have a look through the Elvish forums.
A lampwright is someone who makes lamps. Lampwright's street was used by Tolkien as a streetname in Minas Tirith to name the street where the lampmakers lived.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
gondolinian said:It should take you about 11.5 hours if I'm not mistaken .

11 Hours and 12 minutes pure running time, to be "exact".
But we're talking about 12 DVD discs (don't know what that makes in Blu-rays). And I've done it once, believe me, no one sits still for that entire time, not nearly, and you will be taking time-outs for "porcelain cruises" a few times. So think 12 plus hours, better 13.

gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
And that's not counting the 12+ hours of extra's you'll be getting on the extended edition. So I'd say reserve a good few days .
Rike 19-99
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you both!!
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
I agree the language forums are the best source for study tips. Also, what worked for me was not pushing the written symbols but starting with words and a few easy phrases, then adding some grammar step by step, and leaving the symbols as the last thing to learn. This strategy is working quite well for me, though the symbol language I've started learning is a real one, not Elvish. Learning it all at once, words, grammar and symbols, is overwhelming IMO.

Edited to add: Welcome to all newbies!

[Edited on 04/20/2017 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
<< First4445464748Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email