Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Book Club Info spot
on: March 01, 2013 02:25
~*When do we start?*~
We will be starting on or about Sunday, March 4th or Monday, March 5th(depending on time zone) and the first questions, quotes and pictures should be posted on that date.

~*How do I join the Book Club?*~
Just like before, you don't really have to join: there's no list you have to enroll on, no form you have to fill in... Just pick up your copy and read! If you want to start later than October 4th, because you have a project, homework, or you don't have a copy of the book yet, that's okay too. Just read it chapter per chapter, and then bring the chapter thread back on top by posting in it and joining in the discussion.

~*How does the Book Club work?*~
We're reading the book as a group, and chapter by chapter. Between each new chapter we'll discuss, we'll have two weeks time to try and understand it completely. Every week, a new chapter will be up for discussion.
This doesn't mean that once we've moved to a new chapter, the previous chapters will be ignored! You can discuss a question or a quote as long as you like, or - when you start reading a little later - bring older chapters back on top.

The discussion itself will be held in three different threads per chapter:
- The Chapter Thread: this is the main thread for discussion, the basic level if you please. The purpose of this will be to understand the chapter itself (for instance: understand some difficult parts about the creation of the world) and its part in the rest of the story (this is mainly for the chapters that deal with Fëanor and the Silmarils, later on in the book).
- PbHf's Quote of the Week: a classic! PotbellyHairyfoot will pick a quote from the chapter that we can discuss: because it's beautiful, because it's significant or because no one really understands what it means.

You're free to post in any thread you like. You don't have to confine yourself to just one type of threads, nor post in every single thread there is .

~*How will the Book Club help me understand The Silmarillion better?*~
Not only will you be able to exchange ideas in the discussion threads, we'll also provide you with all the background information we can by gathering the very best of The Council of Elrond and presenting it to you in helpfull topped threads.
- The Silmarillion Illustrated will be a topped thread where members will post some illustrations with every chapter we read, just as we did for 'The Lord of the Rings'.
- Tips and Tools will be a thread with useful tips and links to maps, articles, family trees and maybe even external sites (hey, we can't have everything - yet).

~*Are there any rules in the Book Club?*~
Just two:
- No spoilers! This means that you're not allowed to point ahead of things that happen in later chapters. If you feel you must refer to a chapter later in 'The Hobbit' or to other books of Tolkiens besides 'The Lord of the Rings' - like 'Unfinished Tales' or the HoME-series, please place a spoiler alert in bold letters, and always note when the spoiler is over and what the spoiler is for. (For instance: Spoiler for Unfinished Tales - End spoiler). The exception to this rule will be when we specifically ask for information from other works.
- Be polite! You'll find that not every reader is the same: some people just want to understand it, others want to exchange ideas and other still will come up with difficult theories. The point of the 'Master in Mythology' thread is precisely to provide the latter with a place to dig deep. If you find that someone doesn't have your level of understanding (yet), please be kind and explain what you mean in simpler terms. We're here to learn from each other.
If I find that someone is imposing his or her opinion on others, or is acting impolite to people with less knowledge, I will kick you out! (That aside, I'm really nice and easy-going .)

~*Can I contribute to the Book Club?*~
Well, by reading and posting of course! But you're also free to make suggestions for questions and illustrations, so Nienna and I can add them. A good question that is used by me is worth one user point.
We'll also put up a Comments and Suggestions thread where you can point out problems or give us new bright ideas for making this forum even better and... bigger .

If you have any more questions, please pm me and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

[Edited on 03/22/2016 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: Book Club Info spot
on: March 02, 2013 06:00
I intend to spend about a week on each chapter and I now realize that it will take me a couple of days to post everything on each topic for the chapter, so please bear with me at the start of each chapter.
Also, I could use help especially with posting the illustrations. Would some considering taking on that task?

[Edited on 03/22/2016 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Book Club Info spot
on: March 03, 2013 01:47
Oh! This answered my question in another thread! Awesome.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds quite great, I think I will read the Brooks in English... This can't be AS difficult AS it sounds with the Tipps I read.

[Edited on 05/28/2015 by Person_with_a_cool_name]
~Cool_Name~
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
I could use help especially with posting the illustrations. Would some considering taking on that task?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email