Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Tips and tools
on: March 01, 2013 02:33
~*Tips on Reading*~
~ The point of the Book Club is to come to some sort of understanding of what 'The Hobbit' is about. So when you start reading, don't stress! Take your time.
I'd advise you to read each chapter twice: first read it for your enjoyment, and the second time read it in more detail. Try to understand what is said. If English isn't your first language, you can always look up some words, or try to find a copy in your own language.
~ Find a good environment to read, where you're not distracted too often Some examples: the train, the library or your bed. Lunch break, the office or while babysitting are probably not the best places to read anything.
~ Take notes. Helps all the time! Personally, I have two copies of each Tolkien book I have: an expensive one for just reading, and a cheap one (mostly second hand) in which I can write and underline. If you can't find a cheap second version, you can always buy a small notebook.
It's just easy for writing down explications of words (especially when English isn't your first language), but also for keeping track of names, places and events.
~*General Links*~
~ CoE's own Encyclopedia in Elrond's Library is one of the best on-line encyclopedia's around. If you want to find out more about a character, you can always look it up there, but the entries may hold some spoilers for the rest of the book!
~ The Middle-Earth Section of Elrond's Library has a lot of articles on various aspects of Tolkien's work. Most interesting for us are of course the Family Trees
~ Our Gallery has some good general maps.(Note: these maps are quite large, so they may take some time to load.)
(Most of the above was originally written by Figwit and simply resummarized here by me.)
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the good advice, PBHF. I also have a " working copy" of The Sil, that helps to keep things organized.

If I may, I would like to suggest an additional resource. The Encyclopedia of Arda is a huge website with hundreds of entries. There are tabs at the top of each entry giving access to maps, family trees or images, as appropriate. There are also versions for mobile and tablet. It's really great.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email