12345Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Writers
on: March 03, 2013 05:15
Hey everyone!
As some of you may previously know, I have put in many of my posts that I am a writer I'm not sure if anyone else is, is not, or wants to be. So I decided to make this! If anyone wants support or just doesn't know how to get started, or needs tips, well, tada! A forum is born!
Hopefully this forum works out!!! -Findemaxa/Julia

[Edited on 06/09/2015 by findemaxam48]
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Writers
on: March 03, 2013 10:07
I really, really, really, want to become a good writer, but I'm not doing the greatest right now. I think of all these cool things that be in a book, but I can't think of a good story line. I currently have 2 stories I'm working on, and I would love to find a good editor. I would like someone that's not afraid to tell me what they really think of my story. Because if my stories aren't good, I don't want to waste time writing them, if you take my meaning. In other words, I'm a (very) amateur writer, that could use a bit of help. If you've got any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 11:19
Mareth, the best advice I've found is just to write, write, write and read a lot. I usually try to write down whatever comes into my head and edit it later. The more you practice writing and the more you read the better you'll get, you'll find out what works and what doesn't. I've taken online writing classes for college credit before but I'm not sure if that would work for you?
You can also participate in National Novel Writing Month which is in November. Their site is up all year and I'm sure you could find someone to beta read your story.
If you really want to you can pm me and I can take a look at it.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 10:27
Howdy! I love to write and was actually considering opening a thread. I am getting a book published and wanted to see if anyone else had/wanted to.
But I write and go back and revise my stuff all the time. My sister gave me an edit on my story that I sent to the publisher. It's always good to get other people read your stuff. And people outside your family. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2013 11:23
I want to get your book, Rhodilwen!

Thank you, Star. I've heard that writing a lot is the best way to get good at it. I have one that is a kids book, and the other I haven't worked on much, but I hope to make it into a chapter book. I'm not sure what's going to happen though.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2013 11:42
Hey guys! I've always wanted to write as a hobby on the side, but never really anything serious. I don't think I could ever be that good. Mareth, I have the same problem as you. I think of lots of good elements that I think would go well in a story, but I can never get them to relate to each other enough that they could fit in the same plot. I usually have a lot of good ideas, but they never make it onto paper, they usually get stuck in my head because I don't know how to word them properly So I've found a way to combat this! I usually carry my iPod Touch with me, and it has a voice memo app. Now anytime I have an idea that I don't know how to write, or I can't write down right away, I sorta record my thoughts as a voice memo for processing later. And its been working pretty well. If you want me to read and edit anything, I'm actually pretty good at that, and I enjoy doing it
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2013 01:44
Hey guys!!!
I have advice for each of you.
Mareth- You have typical writers block! Its a common thing, no worries. I get it too. My adice to you is to read what you have so far. Over and over. Picture yourself as the main charchter, and kind of let the events flow from there. Also, music definitely helps a lot! I sometimes go walking and listen to my music, and I'll get ideas. It also helps with general fitness, too Another good idea is to have either a little memo thing on your phone or iPod, if you have either, and if you get ideas, even little blurbs or names or phrases, put them in! OR you can be like me and carry around an old school 5 subject spiral! Let me know if you need more help
rhodilwen- good for you on getting your book published! I've been wanting to get mine done for the longest time, but since I began it at the age of 8, yes, 8, and finished it at the age of 14, I have some major editing to be done. And no, I did not put it aside and come back to it later. It was that long of consistant, non stop, write in notebook every spare second kind of work. And now, Im at it again with another! Thankfully, as a high school freshman, my classes arent too crazy except for the AP ones, and during breaks I have time to write Im also signed up for creative writing next year Also, for publishing, how long did it take you before you found an interested publisher?? Just wondering. And I would love to read it, too!
lotrelessar94- as a long time friend, you have heard every tip I have Just continue writing and writing and writing. Think about your story too. All of the elements wull just come together. Don't worry. And, of course, Im here to proofread anytime
And for anyone, if you want me to look at any of your work, no matter the type, PM me
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2013 05:34
I started working on mine when I was about 13, then set it aside for awhile and picked back up at 17. I like to initially write everything in a spiral notebook with a pen. To me, it makes the ideas flow better. Then I have to put it into the computer and that's when a lot of revising and some editing comes in.
I had submitted the manuscript about two years ago to a publisher and they wanted to know if I was ready to commit to it if it got accepted, but at that point I was a freshman in college and not ready. I've done more major work on the story since and submitted it again over Christmas. Kid you not, the publisher emailed me back a week later with a contract.
I'll start editing through them in May and it all goes from there. So maybe sometime in November it'll be out and about.
Super long post. I'm just happy to find some fellow writers!!!
What genres do y'all like to write?
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 02:28
Yay, a thread for writers!
I've been writing since I was about 9. Nothing really serious, but more because I love words. I have too many story ideas to count jotted down on paper and computer program alike, and skip around writing whatever idea comes to mind. My favorite genre is fantasy medieval, and all my stories seem to run back there at some point in time. Though I have tried to do a sci-fi futuristic story, it never really got far
Oh, and good luck on that book, rhodilwen!!
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 04:32
I don't have a phone/iPod, so I just do it on the computer, and I to write ideas in a notebook. I have this really annoying habit of misplacing my notebooks, and using up the pages much to fast lol. Favorite genre...hm...I don't think I have one. Yet anyway.
Btw, thanks for the advice, findemaxam!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 06:41
I am a writer, and one of the best things I've ever done besides applying butt glue and get the writing done is to join a critique group. I've belonged to a few before I stumbled upon the group I work with now. In looking for a group, try to find people who tell you the truth but in a way that helps, not hurts. A group such as this will inspire you to create and be your best.

Another suggestion is the National Novel Writer's Month: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en
To sum it up, basically you sit down and pound out a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. It's all about quantity, not quality and is a WHOLE bunch of fun. Join the local groups that meet for write-ins and you'll find like-minded writer friends. I did. And I'm a notorious wallflower.

I first began my writing here on this very site in the role-playing thread, and I'll be forever grateful for Tolkien, my online writing friends who have become dear as family to me, and CoE for awakening in me the urge to write.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2013 12:34
Hey everyone!!
Sorry I havent been on lately. I am soooo glad to see people walking around with notebooks instead of heading right to a computer. However, beware. If you are like me, you WILL get tendonitis and you WILL be in pain, but will still continue writing.
My favorite genre.....hmmmm......IDK. It's quite violent in context. I guess that comes from too much lotr, lol!!!! Not exactly dystopian, but a major theme is humanity. My main charechters are between the ages of 13 and 28. There is romance, but thats not what makes the book. I guess maybe fantasy/dystopian/romance/drams???? I dont know of another name for it. But mos of the book revoloves around war and the effects it has on soldiers, and innocents, presented in a old times way, like swords and bows and spears. It's complicated. Thats what 6 years or more of writing does to ya
I usually write in composition books vs. spirals, 1, becasue I have OCD and 2, because im always flipping pages and turning back and forth, and the pages have a tendancy to fall out. And they dont go back in. But if the fall out in a comp book, you can scotch tape them right back in. And, funny story, I went to my school bookstore to buy some more books cuz I was running out, and i was absolutly mistified to find a YELLOW COMP. BOOK. Oh well. I guess thats the story of my sad and pathetic life, writing stuff and watching lotr Thats actually the only thing I can multitask at
I do use a spiral for my random ideas though.
If anyone wants me to read anything, Im glad to, just pm me!!! I WILL get back to you, it just may take a day or too because typing flares up my tendonitis.
I shall leave you with this quote: "The writer who can never destinguish truth from fantasy will never write good fiction."
(Taken somewhere from google, sorry, lost the author in my memory muddled brain)
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2013 04:38
Oh, good quote! My mom is getting me this book called, "Writing Magic" by Gail Carson Levine. It's about how to write good fiction. Part of my school. I'm pretty excited about reading it! Btw, Gail Carson Levine is a really good writer, and you guys might like some of her books. I don't like all of them. But three in particular I really liked were "The Two Princesses of Bamarre", "Ella Enchanted", and Cinderellis and the Glass Hill". Here's her website: http://www.gailcarsonlevine.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2013 06:28
I do like Gail Carson Levine!!!! Wonderful author
In case anyone is interested, I subbmitted a story in the fanfiction section I'll let you all know when it's approved. It might take awhile, sadly/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 05:10
My fanfiction has been approved!!!! Yay!!!! I'll put the title on hre when I remember it I have the worst memory in the world!!!
In the meantime, I have a question: Which writing style do you prefer, 1st person, second, third, or third omnicient?
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 06:45
Personally, I prefer 1st person. I dont know what 3rd omniscient is though...I like for the reader to have a character to relate to and to see what the main character/narrator has to say about the others. I, as a writer also like being able to relate to the characters because it gives me more subjects to start and more life experiences to include. If there were just a narrator, you would see what was happening before the characters do. And boy do I just wanna yell at the book when that happens. Anyways, I am a writer. I love to read and write in my spare time! Although, I wish I had more time on my hands... I am starting a book called, well idk yet! It's about a girl named Arlan that is an elf, but has been bringing up herself and her blood-related siblings in the woods ever since they were abandoned on an old orphanage doorstep. They have given themselves names and don't know their real ones until later.....During this time of being alone, the elf children develop very significant skills that include sword fighting, knife throwing, shooting arrows, stealth, and survival. Without parents, these kids are increasingly smart, but don't know any other way to live. In fact, they don't know they are different than humans because they've never seen humans before. They encounter a human kind thing named Jake by saving his life and traveling with him to a "safe place." Jake says that he is taking the children to a castle to get them to follow him. What they don't know is(but you do) is that Jake is evil and is planning on bringing them to his kingdom and planning to make them one of his kind, Kor. Which are human looking except when they fight in their oddly bloodthirsty way. Well, if you want to know more, e-mail me, cuz i can go on FOR-EV-ER! Gotta go! BTW- My book is good for all reading types! It includes romance, violence, action, horror, and strong relationships between multiple people. You'd love it. -Sydney/Rodwen

[Edited on 05/16/2013 by RodwenAravilui5136]
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 09:53
Hm...the two books I'm writing are from the Narrator's point of view (is that 3rd person? I get them mixed up lol), but I like reading 1st person view books.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 11:25
I like the 1st person pov in some books. It worked for the Hunger Games series, but it sometimes annoyed me. I write for the most part in the third person. And I write mostly fantasy/adventure.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 07:47
Third person is when you can see out of everyone's eyes (also known as head-hopping at times if it's done excessively) and meaning you know what all main characters are thinking. You can do third person when you look through a single character's eyes per scene or chapter, but when you look through every involved character's eyes, then it becomes omniscient. First person leaves the reader having to understand other character's motives through story development and observation rather than being told by that character's thoughts. While third person can be good for somethings (like when a protagonist is being stalked and all you get is the eerie stalker's thoughts!), a writer has to be careful to overuse it. Author intrusion used to be very common - telling the reader what to think - but today publisher's frown on that as it can make reader's feel the writer is condescending to the reader (You're too stupid to understand what I'm writing so I'm going to spell it all out). Mareth, yes, a narrator's vision is third person. Hope that helps.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 09:28
I agree with Rhodilwen. First person works for some things, like the Hunger Games, but I dislike it mostly. I prefer Tolkien's style, as well as Brian Jacques (Redwall series).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2013 04:22
Yep, I like to call third "God". Cuz all of the charecters feelings and emotions are right out on the plate, in the open. Everything is known. I did third for 5 years, and am now in a first phase. My fanfic is third, thouh. Oh, and it's called "Daybreak". Please comment, positive or otherwise!!
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2013 05:49
I've tried first, a tiny bit of second, but finally decided to stick with third person. I agree that first has its uses, but only by those who know how. You can write first person from the character's current point of view, or as the character looking back on what they did. Most writers tend to get both mixed up, and problems arise. Third is my preferred way of writing, but I sometimes still go and write first person now and then just to change things up.
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 02:31
Yeah, first is probably the easiest to write, and third is definitely the hardest, something I now see after writing with it for ages
Rodwen- I really want to read more of your book. Next time I see you, can I please borrow it?????
(No worries, everyone, we are longtime friends)
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 04:45
yes, i need help again. i have terrible writers block and i at a point where only God knows where Astaldo is!!!! Ug.. thanx 4 all ur help so far findemaxam48, i really appreciate it! -Sydney/Rodwen
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 07:19
Ugg, RodwenAravilui, writers block is no fun! The way I usually get past it is to have some music playing in the background (soundtracks for me! No words, and not too distracting ) and open a notepad document and start writing whatever comes to mind. Your little side story can be completely random and crazy, but it helps clear your head. Usually after doing that I can jump headfirst back into whatever story I was writing before
(I use notepad because there isn't that little red spelling underline when you spell something wrong. That tends to halt your thought process. I can have the perfect scene plotted out, then BAM! Something's spelled wrong and I totally lose my train of thought! )
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 10:33
Yeah. Music can cure almost anything!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 10:57
I usually always write with music in. And it's always soundtrack or an awesome group called "Two Steps From Hell". Don't know if y'all have heard of them, but I love their epicness.
I'm going to go read your fan-fiction right now, findemaxam!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2013 02:07
Oh, I've heard of them, Rhodilwen! We've got some of the music they did. Some of my favorite songs are Heart of Courage, Enigmatic Soul, Undying Love, and Infinite Legends. Have you heard any of those?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2013 06:21
Rodwen: Its OK. I know where Astaldo went, just like last time!!! I'll PM you later
Aerena100- I do something really similar to what you do. It's called a "Stream of Conciousness" and in it, you write out everything in your head, no matter how big or small. This includes writing ideas, and when your done, your mind is cleared and you could have some potential writing ideas
rhodilwen- no, I have not heard of their music. I will check it out!!! Thanks for checking out my fanfic

If anyone cares or want sto know, i have found a sing that goes with my looooooong story!!!it's called "In the End" by Black Viel Brides. You can look up the lyrics if you so wish. It goes with my book really well
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2013 08:59
Did you say your fan fiction is on here Findemaxam? Could you post a link to it?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2013 03:15
sure, if I can figure out how. Its also linked to the site in the fanfiction section under Fan Creations. Its currently the first one under "U-Canon/ Crossover". Thanx for asking!!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2013 02:12
the link is being stubborn...I was trying to get it to go onto this page, but it wasnt being very cooperitive. Help??? And sorry
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2013 06:28
So, I've got some good tips for writers out there! Anyone need any help while I'm on?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2013 06:50
Mareth, you picked my four favorite. I also really like "Love and Loss", "Archangel", and "Dragon Rider". And they have a new album out!!!!!!!!!
I gave one of my short stories to my dad to read to my little sis. It's kinda nerve racking. Thankfully they waited until I left to come back to school from spring break to start. I don't know if I coulda dealt with my story being read aloud. lol!!! I'm weird, what can I say??
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2013 07:44
lol

Findemax, you could make into a link, or you could make it into a link? Did you try copy-pasting it? Try to do that, then click on the button above where you post. It's looks like this: [url][/url] Put the link in between the url boxes.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email