Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Those were soooooo pretty! I looked at her blog. Also I have been stalking you Rhodi. I like your hair!

I have a problem. One of my countries Carn I have trouble on what to call the people. Carnites, Carnons, Carns?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
lol! Thanks, Cenor! I'm quite fond of my haircut as well. I don't have to do any styling.

Hmmm....I think I'd go with Carnites.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Me as well, Cenor.

Does anybody know if Etsy has gift cards?

If you were to get your book series published, including you, rhodil, how many books would be in your series? Im struggling with that now.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I don't know about Etsy. I've never used the site before

There's only two books in the "Aredor" series. Although my sister says that I should compile all my short stories from that universe into one and see about getting it published one day.

I also have another book that I could potentially take to twelve books all about separate characters through the timeline of that world. I have notes scribbled down for almost all those characters. But we'll see if they all get written.

Are you just having problems figuring out where to divide into separate books or just how many books you think should be in a series, Maxie? Everybody seems to want three these days....
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Carnites okay sounds great!

Yes you should combine all your stories Rhodi.

I just borrowed a book "Writing Fiction for Dummies" and I am realizing how much work I need to do. :/
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I wouldn't abandon anything you've done before to write, Cenor. Just look for some ways to improve technically, maybe grammatically (this is where I struggle sometimes), or maybe being toooo descriptive or repeated words or phrases. Stuff like that if that makes sense. Everybody has their own way of writing and it works differently for all of us. Don't try and change too much.

That being said, what's some of the stuff the book talks about?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Rhodil, I have trouble with size, amount, cut off...meh. Thats what you get for never ending a story...it has grown to heights I cannot believe myself...there is so muvh editing I am doing in my new version. I have had to ut out whole notebooks entirely or switch events around and jump around into different ones to achieve a better effect...the whole process makes me want to cry sometimes...

I would also reccommend taking a creative writing course somewhere, Cenor. Thats what I did, and I benifited enormously. I thought I had nothing to learn, but the class goes over what you know from English class and goes deeper and it shows you how to work with the elements of literature. It is quite fascinating.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Sadly I don't know of any Creative Writing Courses. I keep hearing about conventions but I'm only 15 and I don't know of any here. I don't want to change my style just the process and editing problems I have.

Just the inside out of writing a fiction. I haven't gotten that far into it yet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Having someone re-read you is good. My sister is doing that now.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
There is another problem. My younger sister wouldn't like my writing. My sister-in-law has three kids: four, two (almost three), and one. My mom doesn't like editing (plus she sees all my other stuff and I would like her to be able to sit down and read without editing.) My dad, who is great at math, isn't so great at writing. My best friend understands audio books better. See my problem.

rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I usually have my older sisters read my stuff for editing. My younger sisters just read for the story. I have a few friends online that I'll send stuff too for some editing.

if either of y'all want an extra pair of eyes, don't hesitate to ask me! I'd be glad to try and help as I can. All my stuff is kind of in bits and pieces right now. Too many projects going on and not enough time.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Well my younger sister wouldn't like the way I write because it is Middle Ages based, plus all the gross stuff. She is the butterflies and flowers sort of reader.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I love that stuff obviously. So send it my way in about three weeks! *sobs in half despair* I'm almost done with my summer session! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's not getting any closer! Too many tests left to take!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Your're almost there, rhodil! Don't give up!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
So I found this old poem while I was going through an old flash drive. I looked at it and realized it has almost no punctuation. Any tips?

My horse and I ride out
A beautiful summer day
A gentle breeze blows through our hair
We are content

But suddenly something stirs nearby
A monster? No, a bird
But too late! Our world is breached!
We go running, spinning, plunging
Away we must away!

The bird watches, puzzled
Then flies away
We come to a halt
Why were we afraid?

We take a breath, a snort, a wheeze
The bird soars above on the breeze
We ride on
Our world is calm
A beautiful summer day

@maxie- any progress/luck on trying to divide up your story?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Still working on the dividing, but I learned how to chunk it up. In an effort to save years of writing, I have decided to use flashbacks for some of the older stuff. Thanks for asking!

I like the poem with no punctuation. It makes it flow very nicely.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I always have trouble putting punctuation in poems. So I got to read a fair chunk of the WFFD (also your book Rhodilwen about half). I wrote a small song during our trip. Now it isn't great I wrote it after five hours of sitting, strumming a pencil (really neat instrument by the way), and listening to country music.

Child, child
Lay down your head
Fear not the world
Fear not the dead
Child, child
Sleep now don’t fear
Dream of the green field
Dream of the deer
Child, child
Sleep, sleep
Sleep.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It sounds nice, sort of like the song Deep in the Meadow thats in The Hunger Games trilogy. I like it.
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
Hey guys! Haven't been around for a while, sorry, bout that! I was reading through back-posts and catching up:

@Cenor: you said your writing was Middle-Ages based? Is it the hyper-realistic type, or the more loose, artistic-license type?
Authors are extremophiles; in short, creatures capable of surviving in the harshest of environments.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Maybe half and half. I know the cruel reality but my Middle Ages stuff is also mixed with Fantasy. Lots of blood and gore. Very little knight and damsel in distress. I did do a knight damsel in distress but they never married. Also the damsel killed the dragon soooooo. No young knights suddenly succeeding during their time as a squire.

In Carn I have a Tolkien Ranger based people called Wanderers the song goes with the same story where a Sadisian Princess, a Carnnite slave once lady, and two Wanderers RAT to save Carn.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Whats tricky about publishing is that if there are even slight references to other well known stories, you could be getting yourself into trouble. Which begs the question, how did the Eragon series not get slammed for being a copy of LotR? One of the greatest mysteries...
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
LOTR? Try a direct copy of Star Wars.... lol!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yes I have noticed that several books have hints of Tolkien *looks at Rhodi* I am so happy. I hummed my song (actually a lullaby)to my nephews while I put them down for a nap. And they fell asleep really fast .
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
*looks everywhere other than Cenor* Hmm? I don't know what you're talking about...lol! He definitely influenced me, but I tried really hard to keep everything original to me. Especially after reading stuff like Eragon where it's basically a direct rip-off.

How's everyone's writing going?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Slow. Dreadfully slow. I just recovered from a attack of Writers Block.But ideas come everyday. I think I have the Wanderers existence figured out. They are the descendants of people loyal to the King who were driven into the wood by a usurper. Creating a history is hard.

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Very good! I wrote my prequel two years ago this month. Its way easier to writebackwards, after you have the meat of the story written.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Ah yes someone like me! I am liking you better and better Maxie
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, guys, sorry I haven't replied. Completely forgot I hadn't answered Cenor's reply to my question. :/ Anyway... cruel reality, Cenor?

@Maxie; I cannot for the life of me figure out how Eragon got published. >.<

I hate Writer's Procrastination, Cenor. Figured out how to get away from it? @Rhodi, YOU know how my writing is going. Half-way into my newest novel. Anyone else here read urban-fantasy/sci-fi?
Authors are extremophiles; in short, creatures capable of surviving in the harshest of environments.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Michael! Gah! Re-reading it now! They have EVERYTHING that LOTR has- Zar'roc is EXACTLY like Anduril! *bangs head* Anyways, I guess that as long as it's not too similar, it's fair game for publishing. Books like that give me hope.
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
Books like what give you hope?

Also, regardless of what I said earlier, I DO know how Eragon got published. XD His parents actually owned the publishing house that originally printed it...
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
@Micheal. Cruel reality as in the way serfs lived and were treated. Not everything was fairy-tell perfect. I have found a solution to Writers Block. Roleplaying! Has anyone here figured out the plot, climax, and end to their story but have trouble filling in the blank?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor- That sounds like every story I've ever written! lol! Usually I start at the beginning and just wing it from there. The story ions do a pretty good job of aligning themselves towards the positively charged climax.

I've only done D&D twice (or maybe it's actually thrice...), if that counts as roleplaying
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor - Nope. Never had that problem. Mostly cause I don't plan my stories out. I just start and see where the road takes me.

@Rhodi - Huh. I wouldn't have pegged you for that much of a planner. Learn something new everyday, don't we.
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor - Nope. Never had that problem. Mostly cause I don't plan my stories out. I just start and see where the road takes me.

@Rhodi - Huh. I wouldn't have pegged you for that much of a planner. Learn something new everyday, don't we.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I meant books that are so similar to things or seem to have no plot- they give me hope.
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email