Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1415161718Last >>
Author Topic:
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Rhodi, I was at Barns & Noble earlier today, so I looked for your book. I was looking around for awhile, but I couldn't find it. I searched on those...computer thingies they have, and saw that it was out of stock! I was very sad indeed.

~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Awww....Try Amazon. Or you could potentially order online from B&N.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yes I couldn't find your book at B&N either. I have it on my kindle but I would like a real book.

Yea what I have no clue where the story I'm working on now is going to go.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
It might not be physically in every store, but you can get it from them online. I do know that much.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Out of stock is a good thing! For rhodil, that is. Did you get your marketing report yet?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Last reported is 15 or so were sold in the last few months. Small steps. But a bunch of my classmates told me they'd buy my book over break once they found out about it. So that was encouraging.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I am going to buy your book again Rhodi as soon as I find that 20 stashed in my room.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message

What's your signature from, Cenor? It sounds pretty intense. Your own writing?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yes the opening to my newest story. I wanted a hooking beginning.
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
I'm working on a book. It's quite difficult because of the setting in the story. How can I come up with ideas for exciting events and situations?
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor- I think you achieved that.

@Alex- what's the setting for your story? Even hinting at the basic plot might make it easier for suggestions. But I like taking ideas from conversations or movies and books that I might see or read. Or even take ideas from history.
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Something like a modern-set world: life as we know it.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
*Raises hand* Ooh ooh I'm working on something like that. But not quite life as we know it.

@Rhodilwen-I spread word about your book the other day at my library volunteer party. I also gave the name of your book to our librarian but know I realize I left a h out of your name :/. Anyways you said something about a sequel...and I was just wondering...when it might be released?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
it's ok, Cenor., It's not like my name is a little complicated or anything. lol!! ummmm...Sequel....it's written, but I want to see RoA do pretty well before I talk to Tate about publishing the second. :/
And thanks for spreading the word! You're awesome!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, Alex, I can relate. My current book is set with a fantasy world infused with out world. It can be tricky at times. Since it travels with current events on a world scale, I watch the news, and redo events and change names as needed.

The intro to my book:

Chapter One

He’s still here. Whispering in my ear. Crawling underneath my skin. Death has done nothing to him. He only comes back, and comes back twice as fierce, twice as evil, and more and more annoying.
“Get away from me,” I whisper. But that is it. A whisper. In the face of his bold actions and even worse atrocities, I am nothing more than an echo.
Either that or a flailing flame.
His breath chokes me as his voice comes in my ear. “I am not going to leave, my dear Miss Harvent.”
Nails scrape the inside of my throat. I say, hoarsely, “We killed you.”
Wind hits me in the face, a hot, smothering breeze that is meant to take me down, down, down, into the thick soil with him. “You would think that you would realize by now, my dear, that I never die.”
I reach for my hip. No weapon. No nothing. I have no defense.
So I tear open my throat.
And I scream.
I scream myself awake.
A strip of pale moonlight weaves its way in through the slit in my curtains. Sweat pools down my neck, knots up my hair. The covers on my bed are choking me; coarse dirt over my skin. I rise, trembling, my toes touching the marble floor. The window is ten steps away. OneTwoThreeFourFiveSixSevenEightNineTen steps away.
I grab the sill for support and yank the curtain to the left. It hides the moonlight, hides the ghost that lurks in my room.If only I could kill off the one in my mind.
As I crawl back into the safety of my bed, the moon howls. It doesn’t like it’s frail rays to be quenched.It hates me, too.
I have always liked the darkness.

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Wow nice Maxie I am finding myself hearing things now. :0

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
YES! I was successful!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Oh yes you were Maxie.

Rhodi one just has to mispronounce your name. Bans ch bach except I forgot the first H.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
This debate came up with a friend and I the other day- do you intentionally use symbols in your writing?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor-

@maxie- I got a little chill as I read. Sounds good. What do you mean by symbols? (that might be a retarded question)
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah Maxie what do you mean by symbols? I use paragraph signs and marks to help me edit if that is what you mean.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
You guys have never heard of symbols? The semester class I took in ECW was all about them.

Symbols are all about an object or another person or place that has another meaning, or a greater one. For example, Anduril beign re-forged can be a symbol of Aragorn's acention to the throne of Gondor. The One Ring can be a symbol of power.

Need further explaination, or do you kind of know?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Ohhhhhh those symbols. Haven't had a chance to . Great news! I may be taking a Creative Writing course! I'm so happy!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor, I'm jealous!! I wanna take a Creative Writing course!

[Edited on 08/11/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
That's what I kinda figured, maxie. One of my more recent books is a strongly christian based fantasy. Some of the knights wear white surcoats and the idea is that the cloth with stain or darken if the wearer dishonors his oath, etc. I guess it could be an allegory for faith or the soul. In the same story the characters have to find a sword that once belonged to a King who united the lands. They have to use it to defeat the bad guy. There's a lot of religious symbols in that story but I tried not to go overboard or make it too obvious. I don't like stories that are super preachy.
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
(I think this month will be full of me making random appearances on threads I haven't been on in ages...)

Hi guys! I leave for a bit and you all go and finish your books on me

That's an awesome snippet, findemaxam! Is the book officially done? (yes, I have been lazy and didn't look back on previous pages... bad me)

I've been hoping to take a creative writing class too, Cenor. My brother took one, and it was pretty amazing to see how much he improved after.

I've been recently working on a medieval dystopian story. It's reaaaaaally slow going, but I like the challenge it's giving.
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Unfortunately writing classes just got canceled due too it adds 2-3 more hours of homework to the week. Plus school will take me to 2:00 or later this year and I would only have three days to work on homework.

@Maxie in my world I have Krad Forest on the border of Ensalvador. In the beginning Caston was supposed to represent Christians, Ensalvador evil (Thus Krad just spell it backwards), and Sadis the unsaved. But I expanded the world which made it a bit harder to continue with the idea.

@ Rhodilwen What book?
papples
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, I was recommended to come to this thread for writing, advice on writing, etc.

I was thinking of writing a fanfiction series on people who died in battles, people who lived through them, children whose fathers lived/died in the battles... Juts thought that seeing other people's perspectives in Lord of the Rings would be interesting.

What do you think?

-papples
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds wonderful! Question: Will this be in first person?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think it sounds good as well, papples.

I get done with school at One Fifteen this year, they keep ending earlier and earlier. But my Block One class starts at Seven Ten.

No, Aerena, not finished yet. Not even in the broad sense of the term. I highly reccommend a CW course, I took one Sophomore year and loved it, and have decided to go to college for Creative Writing because of that course; I highl;y reccommend it.

I have started to write songs; if I am not too ashamed, I will share them here.

papples
Council Member
Send Message
I think so, Cenor. Thanks!

@findemaxam48: Thanks, and I write songs too sometimes, so don't be ashamed. Maybe I will share them too.

-papples
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie and papples, y'all definitely need to share the songs!

Rhodil -- I want to suggest to our YA librarian getting your book for the library. Hopefully she can get a copy sometime and I can read it!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay here is a document I need a second opinion. I haven't edited yet though...oh well.

Run. Just run. Don't look back. They will catch you if you do. Then you know what will happen. 30 lashes, that's what will happen. Run.
I repeat this to myself as I race down the muddy path. Fear settles in my heart as hoof beats continue to close in behind me.
Run.
Now the shouts of the Slave Master and the curses of the Overseer reach my ears.
Faster.
This infernal rain is my curse. The mud is so slick that I almost fall several times. Then I slip and land on my hands and knees. Again, I rise and continue. My breath is coming in ragged gasps and my sides ache horribly. Just then, a horse whinnies behind me. From the string of curses that follow, I can tell that it is the Overseer.
No, no we can’t go back again.
I push myself forward doubling my speed. But to no avail. The crack of a whip chases away all hope. I scream as the braided leather slices across my legs. My knees buckle and I fall, sobbing, into the mud. A fearful jargon of curses follow, I am glad that I do not know the language of the Nadans. My will leaves me and I sob and cower from the Overseer. He brings the lash down again, this time across my shoulders. The tail end catches me in the corner of my mouth. Blood trickles down my chin in a sickening stream. Four, five, six more lashes before the Slave Master rides up on his old horse. He shouts something in Nadanic that’s stops the Overseer. I think I know what he said. He doesn’t want me spoiled for the sale tomorrow.
“Filthy Carnnites,” the Slave Master says in broken Carnnite.
He pulls me up by the hair, binds my wrists and ankles, and then throws me over his horse. It is a long trip back to the camp.
papples
Council Member
Send Message
It looks good... I want to read more.

-papples
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Cool, Cenor! I think it sounds good so far.

Mareth- I hope your librarian can get a copy soon too.

Hi, papples! Welcome, welcome!
<< First1415161718Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email