Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2425262728Last >>
Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Here's my response to the prompt:
Perhaps unknown to many, the kissing ball remains my favorite holiday decoration. While I am not sure where it originated, I do know that it was present in the United States as early as the 1700’s. It is typically made with mistletoe and something to give it a round shape, such as an apple or other rounded fruit, but if mistletoe is unavailable other twigs may be used. A felt ball could likely be used inside as well. Bits of greenery are poked into the sphere until it is completely covered, then it can be hung in a doorway. Couples are supposed to kiss underneath it. In fact, it is said that if an unmarried couple kisses under it they will marry within the next year, with the stipulation that the kissing ball must be burned before twelfth night. It is my favorite decoration because I am a hopeless romantic (it feels so strange to admit this fact; I feel my favorite should be the manger scene or the empty tomb or something like that. On top of things, I am actually not a Christmas fan, which makes it even stranger that I would tell you about a Christmas decoration).
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
BlueberryMuffins76 said: The Handsome Sleeper is based off Sleeping Beauty but features a man who gets disenchanted by a woman rather than vice-versa

Haha, Blue...my sisters and I once redid the musical "Beauty and the Beast" with dolls and puppets, and called it "Handsome and the Hag" (the dude's real name was Alan...). We changed everyone...Gaston was a girl...the "quiet village" was run by overbearing females, Lumiere was a female candlestick, it was Mr. Potts; and of course we changed all the songs around...the only issue was, me and my sisters are not hopeless romantics, and just before we got to the end, we realised that we liked Alan to much to make him end up with the annoying Hag. So, instead, we made Mr. Potts turn out to be the "Enchanter" from the beginning in disguise, who had fallen in love with the Hag, and saved her from death, and married her, while Alan remained single.

And your prompt was very well done. I like the way you described the kissing ball in detail...I got a very clear picture of what it looked like.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
That's hilarious, OneSizeFitsAll! I would have enjoyed seeing that rendition. I've actually done another story based off Beauty & the Beast; it features Eomer & his wife, Lothiriel, who gets turned into a rather ugly female ent. I try not to leave anyone single! That's why I make up a woman for all these lonely men if a wife isn't mentioned; thankfully Tolkien gave me Lothiriel's name and some about her.

Thank you! The kissing ball is quite simple & thus easy to describe for me lol
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry guys, this won't be happening for me this time. Still trying to get back on my feet.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt Eleven:

Describe your favorite holiday tradition
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
How do you know they're lonely, Blue? What if they like being single? I'm not a guy, but I know I do.

Aww, I know how that is, Maxie. I'm glad you're feeling better now! *hugs*

I started writing out my reply to the prompt, but then lost it by accident, so I'll write it out on a document and post it later.

What happened to all the traffic on this page? (Not that I'm one to talk...)
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am not sure what happened to the traffic, but I hope it returns.

My favorite holiday tradition is going to Christmas Eve service at church. It is held by candlelight, and traditional songs are sung by everyone who attends. Then there is a procession in which people walk about the santuary with their candles. As I get older, I find that I am being asked to do more and more administrative activities around church, and for the past two years, this has included performing at the candlelight service in the music department. This year, however, is the first year that I will be performing at both services, and the first time that we-by we I mean my fellow performers, also former members of this site, as well as my sister- will be playing all of the music, and people will be singing along to it. Reading music by candlelight is one of the most incredible experiences i can cite in my musical career.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, from my experience I absolutely hate being single, but I do realize many people learn to enjoy it. However, I feel every person is complimented by another and they can achieve even greater things together than they could apart. So that's why I choose to think all the single men in LotR are lonely! As well as some in fairy tales
Maxie, that service sounds so beautiful! At our church we do something similar & sing Silent Night in the dark while the candles are being lit one by one. It is quite beautiful and sacred.

My favorite holiday tradition is making meringues for Easter, which I prefer to call Resurrection Day. My mother, sister and I usually make the Saturday just before Resurrection Sunday. We read Bible verses from the Gospels relating to what we are doing while we make the meringues, all centering around Christ's suffering and death. The oven is turned off after the treats are place inside and then they are left there until morning; the heat is enough to cook them and allow them to cool. Shutting the oven door represents the Roman soldiers sealing Jesus into the tomb. When we open the door to retrieve the cookies the next morning, it is symbolic of the stone being rolled away. Then the first bite of meringue should reveal a hollow center, reminding everyone of how the tomb truly was empty because He arose, just as he promised. Resurrection Day is definitely my favorite holiday because without His sacrifice for me, I really have no idea where I would be today, except that I would be totally lost and hopeless.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
You are a hopeless romantic, aren't you, Blue?? XD Personally, I've never learned to enjoy being single...I always have been. Though, of course, that could always change as I get older. But I do think that some people do and should stay single, and are most effective as such. What can I say? I am so not a hopeless romantic.

Both of you guys prompts are gorgeous!!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Nice prompts!

Sorry I've been gone so long, I hope to be active again after the holidays.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Um yes, Gem, I certainly am a hopeless romantic! I would be much better off if I could accept my singleness, but my Elsa-ness has apparently not reached it's peak yet so I cannot at this point just let it go! (Excuse this cheesy pun lol).(I could also make a Thorin reference here, but that worries even me!) Yes, some people can function just fine as singles, & if they can manage that then I totally route for them! People should definitely get to that point before they marry; everyone needs to be able to survive alone. I just haven't been able to make it to that point yet, I guess because I still hold high hopes for myself. And I know all this definitely affects my writing style; since I have been unable to find my own happy ending as of yet, I have to settle for giving characters happy endings and romance. I really have come a long way in my own life, but I obviously need a lot of work! All the same, I am glad I can use writing as a way to express myself and give romance to others.
& thanks Gem & Cenor! I actually wrote that kind of spur-of-the-moment & really didn't edit much before posting (apparently too busy with romance lol).
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Heheh...well, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with being a hopeless romantic... Have fun with it! I know that my not being romantic definitely effects my writing style...I've written romance once, I think. And it was a parody. Whenever I try to write romance, I just feel silly. Which can be a very bad thing, since romance can be an important part of any story, no matter what the genre. :-/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I find that I don't really need to be *with* someone, especially at this point in my life. I am more concerned with what I am doing and with what my future will be to worry about dating someone. But, however, I do place romance in my story, even if it is light. One of my character's has a problem with loving someone, one has no problem,. and then the other doesn't even know how tom love herself, but has a deep bond shared between her and her (male) best friend. So I guess I try to explore the different depths of love and commitment that aren't necessarily romantic.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, that's so cool! I'm glad you can incorporate all kinds of romance in your stories! Sometimes mine are based more off my real life but with a happy ending, & other times just what I wish my life was. & that's great that you are focused on your own life! I need to get to that point, but I guess I'm just scared.
& yes Gem, romance is good in any genre!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think that all writers bring inspiration from their own lives.

I am going to post this prompt early, since I feel that it is going to generate a ton of discussion, and the extra days should give us time to do just that. Please feel free to work on the other one, though!

Prompt Twelve:

Tell us all about your favorite created character! This can be froma RP or one of your stories.

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh I love this prompt! You mean a character we've totally made up, right, not just stolen from someone else (Thranduil is my absolute favorite character, hands down. I really wish I could say I made him up!).
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Ooooh...this is a good prompt.

But I can't think of who my favourite character would be...I have so many!!! *goes off to hunt through all her stories to find a favourite character*

[Edited on 12/22/2014 by OneSizeFitsAll]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*In Mushu voice* I live!!!

Lovely prompts, everyone! I meant to write about my favorite holiday tradition...just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll try to do it soon, though.

As far as this latest prompt...I have know idea. One of my favorite characters that I've made up is also one that I still don't know very well. I'll have to think on this one...
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, it is a character that you created. You can post multiple, if you wish, but try not to make it more than two.

*Also in Mushu's voice* The unstoppable Mushu!

Well, Mareth, as you post, we can help you develop your character. Win win situation.

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I really wish I could do Thranduil! Oh well, I'm settling on his sister instead, & possibly his wife, either that or another person entirely.
Maybe you can help me develop mine as well! Most of my females end up being like me in some way or another, but I guess that can't be helped.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Having yourself show up in a character is natural, which means that they are an extension of ourselves, as they should be.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey guys! I feel like it's been forever!

I have so many characters! How can I choose just one? lol! I'll work on this.

I've always been single and I've really been ok with that. In high school I had horses and then when I got to college I was busy with school and now in grad school I have zero time. But school is where my focus needs to be right now.
I do like writing romance into stories. I never make it the main focus of the story. It's always fun to be writing a story and seeing whether characters will be friends or if they will develop a romantic relationship. Maybe I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic myself.
And yes, there's a little of myself in every single character I write, whether primary or secondary. It's just natural. I think once you get invested in telling a story you can't help but put something of yourself on every page.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks everyone for all your encouragement! I'm glad to know there are a lot more single ladies on here; I get so down sometimes when I see so many people my age engaged, married, & having kids. & yes, stories can get a bit too sappy when it's just about romance, which is probably why I like suspense best. Unfortunately, I am not good at writing suspense yet. I would think since I read it so much I'd at least pick up something! Anyone have tips on this?
Yeah, I really don't see how a person could write and not have a bit of him or herself in there.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
This is my first response; another shall follow later.
Quirna has quickly worked her way into being favorite character. Her name, which means humor, actually came about when I was being silly one day; I don’t remember what exactly happened, but I know I was making fun of strange spellings and said something about “qrna” which morphed into Quirna. She is gentle and kind, yet tough and passionate, ready to stand up for herself and do whatever it takes to survive. She was orphaned at 18 but no one was willing to take her in, or even marry her, which left her feeling hopeless and worthless as a woman. When she runs into a group of corsairs, she allows them to think she is a young boy; she enjoys wearing pants rather than skirts, finding a dress much too cumbersome. The house fire that killed her parents haunts her constantly and is why she wore britches when she ran into the pirated. Two years later, after she has mastered the use of a cutlass and throwing knives, the corsairs send her to spy on the Rohirrim, whom she ends up joining after she meets a certain Ranger. She fights alongside this man and grows to love him, thinking the relationship impossible because she still masquerades as a boy; but he falls in love with her once he finally discovers her true identity as a woman. At first, she hates all the fighting and killing, yet the Dúnedain man explains that sometimes war must happen to keep innocent people from being killed, thus she is able to overcome her doubts. As she falls in love, she tends to cling to her man because he is the only person she feels she has in the world, but he explains that she will have to let him go at some point. Things improve for her when she marries and lives near a village and many other people, so having her husband away is not quite so bad as it would be if there were just the two of them, although she would still much rather stay by his side forever. I love her because she faces her fears and overcomes them and proves herself to be a strong woman in the midst of terrible trials. She represents the type of woman I would like to be, strong yet compassionate, both giving and accepting help. (& I have Mushu to thank for helping me develop this character! She's writing the Ranger part of our fanfic, & I have Quirna. It's set in the time period where Helm Hammerhand becomes a hero. However, it is not yet complete, but I am enjoying our writing immensely!)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
*In creepy Saruman possessed Theoden voice* If I go, the Writer's thread dies!

Merry Christmas, all! I hope you had a lovely time with your family and friends.

I think that my most favoritist (incorrect grammar intended) is Darkness Harvent. She is currently 16-in order to remember her age, I made her birthday six months to the day after mine-and is the Queen of a country that I describe as being "twice the size of North America." Since I am going to be seeking publication in the future, I will not be revealing much about the story line, but i will say that my book is a mixture of a fantasy world and the world we know. Darkness is the third child out of four, and is in a family of boys: her two older brothers Gabriel and Adrian, and her youngest (and favorite brother), Randy. Since their parents were brutally murdered when they were two, Darkness has had little to no female influence on her life and is somewhat lacking in the department of clothing and manners. However, her lack of such knowledge is made up for in terms o her political savvy and knowledge of fighting.

However, Darkness is also broken. She cannot shake feelings of uselessness and wariness wherever she goes. She knows that people want her dead, and will stop at nothing to either meet them head on or have others vanquish them for her. This comes from a supernatural condition, a supposed "gift," that afflicts she and her older two brothers, called Envisage. Each night when she tries to sleep, debilitating nightmares drown and awaken her. This makes her suspicious, but not reserved, as she has no problems informing others about how she is suffering.

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh Maxie, your books sounds so haunting & delightful! Darkness sounds like a unique person! (& I try to post on here but don't like flooding it!)

Ok, I've gotten myself into a bit of a writing jamb! This will take a bit of explaining, so please bear with me. So, I think I told you of my fanfic plans about the Hobbit, where Fili & Kili don't die (they end up marrying Sigrid-Bard's oldest daughter, & Tauriel, respectively). So, it's my longest work so far at I think about 34 pages. Anyway, I was proof-reading it & discovered a huge mistake that I'm not sure how to fix. The story is kind of based off Snow White, so there's an evil woman who wants to kill Sigrid so she can get inside Erebor (since Tauriel is in league with the Elvenking, there's no way she'd mess with her; much too dangerous!). I realized that the dwarves & Tauriel figured out the antagonist's plans (name: Esmerelda) to harm Sigrid early on, but then most of the way through I had Sigrid & Fili discover the plans for the first time while on their honeymoon (this is after a tragic event where Esmerelda attempted to kill Sigrid but failed). So I'm trying to figure out how to make something about Esmerelda mysterious & dangerous so they can see through her female charm towards the end. I know it sounds simple, but I've already written it so Sigrid joins the dwarves & Tauriel on the journey to find Fili & Kili's mom, Dis; I must figure out how to get her on the trip without knowing about Esmerelda. The original plan was for Sigrid to join them to keep her from harm. I wanted Fili & Sigrid to wait to marry until they return to Dale, but them marrying each other is the only thing I've been able to think of to get her out of Dale. Sigrid is 16, which seems young for marrying. Anyway, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please help me! Thanks! (I'm already getting some insight, but more would be most welcome, especially by more than my other 2 people!)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Saw that this thread has 900 replies. Well done,people.

First off, what is the race of your antagonist? You didn't mention it, unless I missed something. Elf? Dwarf? Human? Before we figure out her foil, we need to know at least some basic things about her, and we will start with that.

Second, why does the antagonist want to get inside Erebor?

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I think I've got it worked out better now, but I am still open to suggestions!
Esmerelda is human, actually a schoolteacher & Bard's children learned under her. I never gave her an age, but I imagine her to be around 30, so fairly young. She's single & likes it that way; she can't find a man to suit her, except Bard, who utterly rejected her. She likes blondes better anyway. She's beautiful to most, but of course not like Arwen. She has a fatal flaw of one leg being shorter than the other, which she hides by having the cobbler make special shoes with the sole on her shorter side being thicker. (I hope this isn't too much!)
She really wants to get inside Erebor because she longs for the treasure, to be queen of everything. Empress Esmerelda of Erebor has a lovely ring to it! She used to be a calm & quiet person, but as her greed grew she became more harsh & was willing to do whatever it takes to get her treasure.
I'm also having issues with the ending; I kind of slapped it together so my 2 couples had several kids each, then the dwarves die & Tauriel remarries (to Legolas!). It feels really rushed & kind of cheesy. I have some conversation, like when Sigrid tells Fili about her first pregnancy, that sort of thing. I'm wondering if I should add some excitement?
Thanks so much!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
So gold poison, like Thorin and the rest of the line. Will Fili and Kili suffer from it? Is Thorin alive?

And she is targeting Sigrid just to get inside, right? She has no qualms with Sigrid except wanting to get inside Erebor? Does she pine for Fili?

Maybe you can make it longer. Fanfiction doesn't necessarily have to be short and sweet, there are plenty of long ones out there. You can also publish it in installments, if you'd like. Stretching out the length would help you with some of the pacing and ending troubles.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thorin is dead; it really isn't feasible to make him live, so Dain is King.
Fili & Kili don't have dragon sickness; they renounce the throne to Dain because they would have to rule jointly; neither one really desired that, as it woudl likely lead to fighting.
Yes, Esmerelda targets Sigrid because she knows Tauriel is in league with Thranduil, & she greatly fears him, so that's why she decided to go for Fili. Sigrid is a target because she's between Esmerelda & Fili, but she only wants his treasure & not really him; he's her ticket to get inside the mountain.
Yes, I think it does need to be longer actually. I'm already at over 30,000 words, so it's actually my longest work yet! I'm really excited about it!
Thank you for your help again!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I'll do my prompt with my character Corin from The Rise of Aredor. He's the first real character I created so he will always have a special place in my heart.
Corin is the second son of King Celyn and Queen Elain of Aredor. When he is 12 years old he is kidnapped by slavers after being in the wrong place at the worst time. He's taken to the southern country of Calorin where he is sold into slavery under a cruel master. He endures 8 years of hardship and earns more than one beating when his master discovers he's not afraid of him. When he is 20, he is bought by another lord and trained in his service as a warrior.
Corin becomes quiet and withdrawn, clinging to any memories he has of his family. He trusts only a few people. Above all else, he is a survivor. He will do what is necessary to live and make it back to his country which has been overrun by the Calorins. When he does reach Aredor again, he reluctantly becomes the leader of a band of outlaws dedicated to restoring the rightful rule of Aredor. He leads and hides a fear of failure. Though he is not afraid to do what is necessary, he is honorable, treats his enemies with respect (having lived among them for 12 years), and clings to a hope that he can find his family again.

I've had a lot of fun watching him grow as I wrote the sequel. He makes new friends, and struggles to accept his new place as general of the warbands. He also may or may not fall in love. He'll actually probably always be my favorite character.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, Rohdil, I really need to read your books! He sounds so fascinating!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt Number Thirteen:

Write about one of the biggest setbacks you have experienced while writing.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
So I wanted to do one more character: Tarantella. She’s a beautiful blonde, but not quite to Galadriel standards. Her older brother, Thranduil (a sweet and precious man), is really close to her and loves her in a special way, as she is the baby of the family. Her personality is quiet yet happy. She enjoys dancing but does not care for being the center of attention; however, she will entertain others with her skills on occasion. Depression starts when she realizes her love for a certain elf is completely unrequited, and she worries that she will never find the right one. Thranduil encourages her to be herself and find her own way in life (after all, he has not yet found his true love himself and understand completely her concern about finding a life mate), and through his guidance she overcomes her strong desire for a husband and conquers the heartbreak she felt from her unrequited love; her true love helps her with overcoming her heartbreak as well, even if she fails to realize it. Thranduil tells her to work on improving herself by helping others and serving them in order to combat her depression and heal her heartbreak, which she does through dance; she entertains the children of the poorer wood-elves, and even some of the adults like to watch. She has a special place in my heart because she represents someone I know quite well, but she has been able to overcome her problems in a way her real-life counterpart has not been able to do as of yet. Perhaps it helps that she is a Princess of Greenwood the Great (aka Mirkwood) and does not need to find a real job in order to support herself; even if she were a common elf, Thranduil would have let her mostly take care of herself but help her out as needed. Tarantella’s true love comes from a place she did not expect and respects the fact that her heart has been broken and the healing process took a long time. Interestingly, she does not want her own children and ends up adopting some orphans after she and her love have been married a while. Her story was one of my longest (although now I have some longer ones, finally!), thus I was able to develop her personality a bit more than with many of my other characters (yes, I usually take Tolkien’s characters so they come with a personality already!). It probably helped that I know her real-life self extremely well. So even though she will likely have only one story, she will always have a special place in my heart.

& Now for the next prompt (which is fabulous!). You all are already aware of my miscommunication with myself a few days ago. I must admit it was rather scary to find out I had discrepancies in my own writing that were unintentional & harmed the flow of my story. It was definitely a major setback to find out I had to take out a huge portion of my story (well, I think around 500 words or so, which seemed huge at the time!). However, once I figured out how to redo everything I ended up with more words and a better storyline! However, another part of the same fanfiction is holding me back. At least there are no discrepancies there; it is just a matter of flow.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Maybe to help you with getting confused, Blue, you can keep an extra notebook and a timeline. In the near future, I am going to post pics of my notebook and how I organize it.
<< First2425262728Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email