Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2627282930Last >>
Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, now if I could only figure out how to rescue her from the antagonist! One dream left her in a rather tight spot & I know her man will rescue her, but how is another question. But hopefully that will come once I get up to that point!
Coworkers are very helpful too lol
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Blue, that sounds like a really awesome idea! I like how the stone can either cause or cure based on its form at the time. I hope you'll give us status updates, because that sounds like a story I'd be interested in!
And don't worry! Characters have a way of telling you how they're going to get out of tricky situations when the time is right.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Rhodil! This goes to anyone, but if you want I can PM you what I have. Like I said, I have two scenes based off dreams, but I will warn everyone ahead of time the second one is totally wild & needs a lot of work before it actually fits into the story. But I will take all the help & encouragement I can get!
And yes, I hope Jael will tell me how Frederigo will rescue her. I have some ideas but they haven't felt right yet. But I definitely need to work up to that point; I'm pretty sure that's a heavy enough scene that it needs to come closer to the end; I've noticed when reading suspense everything tends to reach the climax a few chapters before the end.
If anyone has tips on creating suspense I'd love to hear them, & I also have trouble writing mean men for some reason. Every single man I write ends up totally precious it seems, except perhaps Smeagol, but that would be because he was already developed before I fanfictioned him. lol
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
OK, so for suspense, pacing is everything. Have you ever heard of Gothic Literature? Look it up; it will help you immensely.

One of my favorite character's happens to be a "bad man." At least on the surface. You need to think what is on the inside before you can work outwards. People are not pure evil, there is always something in a person that makes them act the way that they do. Explore that before you even put him on paper.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Now you're intimidating me! lol I certainly should figure out what Chayose's problem is. He apparently wants to destroy the world, but I have no idea why. He must have a tragic past. What do you all think of the idea that someone special in his life died of cancer? & he blames the doctors for not being able to cure that person?
And nope, I'm not familiar with Gothic Literature. Thanks for the tip! I read a lot of suspense, but trying to write my own has proven to be extremely challenging.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I'm still alive!

I love the deeper "bad guys" too, Maxie. So you're writing a suspense, Blue?
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think that it would work into the story, Blue...but it seems predictable. You can put it in for now and revise it later. Another motive for him would be the money and the power of having the stone.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Story sounds intriguing, Blue! Here's an article that might help you a bit with your bad guy: https://craftingstoriesinred.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/apples-and-antagonists/

I found it on Pinterest, of course.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Got to love Pinterest.

So let your villain be a person. Let him turn blue or green or whatever color he wants to be; let him be flecked with brown specks or smooth entirely around. Make him into a person, an introvert who doesn’t like introducing himself or a speaker who can capture the attention of hundreds of people at a time. He’ll still be an antagonist, just as an apple will be an apple. But this time, he will neither be stereotypical nor plastic. He’ll be a villain—a real villain.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, everyone is so helpful! Thanks! Yes, OneSize, I am "attempting" to write a suspense novel, but things are not going well at all. Now I'm really intimidated & totally unsure in my writing abilities, so I'm going to take a break from it for now. I think I need to develop more suspense in my fanfic before attempting an actual book, just to practice it better (I've told ya'll about that one, & yes I'm still struggling with it too. I've had to put it down for a while because I don't even want to touch it right now for some reason. I guess I intimidated myself lol).
So, I developed a tragic backstory for my villain, but like you said Maxie this might be too predictable. Anyway, when he was 15 his mother got leukemia & had to go to the States for treatment (he's native Chilean), but it took forever to get all the necessary documents processed & by then it was too late; she died a week after arrival in the US. His father died of grief 2 weeks afterward. Then about 10 years later, a similar situation arose with his girlfriend, who also died. So he naturally grew to hate the USA & blame their doctors for not being able to save his loved ones. So his vengeance would come through causing Americans to gt cancer and slowly waste away in a tragic death.
Too predictable, right?
Oh, one more thing I'm doing that I hope will help is writing a short (I hope!) murder mystery fanfic, inspired by your sister, OneSize. I will tell you that villain will be totally unexpected, although I have yet to figure out his/her motivation. But I'm just going to let that come along as the story progresses. (In case you can't tell, I'm the type of person that prefers routine but I never make lists; I just keep them in my head. Trying to keep stuff in my head as a writer doesn't work, so that's why I just kind of let things flow.)
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I wouldn't get too intimidated, Blue. Trust your writing. Don't get intimidated or frustrated because it might not be exactly like other suspense stories. Trust your writing "voice". I think if you have a general plan and overview of the story and know where you want it to end, it will be develop suspense all on its own. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time, just start getting in on paper and edits can come later!
I know in my first story, the first draft was pretty short. And later I added a lot of stuff that almost probably doubled the story length and made it better in my opinion. I think as long as you know where you want to go with it, it'll work itself out! Good luck!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think suspense comes the mose naturally when people aren't trying, or thinkingabout it too much.Just do your best, Blue, and do not be your own worst critic.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! Of course my general plan is to get that rock to safety after some intense struggles, defeat the antagonist, & unite the man & woman. But other than that & the 3 scenes I have, I'm not sure exactly what will go on. It doesn't sound like much of a plan, but that's how I work with my most my stories (which tend to be very short But they are getting longer, thanks to all the advice I get from ya'll!).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
try covering your computer screen with a peice of paper as you write. That way, you will just be writing and getting it all out there, and you will not be able to see it.That should keep the inner critic quiet, and it will also disappate the urge to edit. In stead of thinking, "Ew, I wrote that?", you will be thinking, "Oh, I wrote that!...and I didn't even know it!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
try covering your computer screen with a peice of paper as you write. That way, you will just be writing and getting it all out there, and you will not be able to see it.That should keep the inner critic quiet, and it will also disappate the urge to edit. In stead of thinking, "Ew, I wrote that?", you will be thinking, "Oh, I wrote that!...and I didn't even know it!"
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hhmm, I may have to try that if I can get an idea flowing! (As long as my family isn't in the room!) Yes, I do have a inner editor that has to fix misspelled words & minor grammar mistakes before she can go on, which does interrupt the flow.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message

Yeah, shutting up the inner critic is super hard to do. I still struggle with it.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Just for the record, I looked up Gothic lit. That's not quite what I have in mind; I don't want this suspense to be too sci-fi, since that's not my genre, but I may be able to use some elements from it. Thanks! (I'm a very indecisive & almost wishy-washy person at times; Wembley in Fraggle Rock is totally me lol Anyway, I'm sorry if I come across as confusing & seem like I'm shooting down everyone's ideas. I'm really not doing that & I think it's great that so many ideas have been presented! Thanks!)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message

Hmm...Gothic Lit isn't sci-fi. Think Edgar Allen Poe, how he has that nice pacing and vocabulary. There are also the gothic elements...I will post them later, I am downstairs plugged into an outlet at the moment, and my notes are on my flash drive upstairs. I remember that one of the elements included rich vocabulary, and a supernatural element. That would be your stone, Blue.

Just suggesting and making an observation to the best of myability. I totally understand if you don't want to take this trail.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I know you are, & I thank you for trying to help! I noticed Frankenstein & things like that were listed in Gothic lit, along with Jane Eyre, & while those books were ok they weren't quite my style. Unfortunately, I'm still not really sure exactly what I want! I do know I want it to be fairly realistic, as far as fiction goes. Do I make any sense at all? Probably not No wonder I have such problems writing! lol
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I'd still stop trying to define by genre or style. In my mind that just boxes me in and gives me less freedom to tell my story. When I started writing my first fantasy book several years ago I was worried it wasn't very good because it didn't "sound" like other fantasy stories- ie- there weren't grand overall sweeping themes and plot points, the characters had a simple dialogue sound, etc. But then I decided to just write the story I wanted to read and it turned out all right.
So, Blue, tell us what you like to see in a story, and then maybe you can figure out your style.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, I guess I should think of it that way, Rhodil!
Ok, you already know I'm a hopeless romantic, so romance has to be present somewhere. I like many forms of it, whether it's love at first sight, gradual, or the couple starts out practically enemies. As long as they leading man and woman get together in the end & I have some kisses here & there, it makes me happy! I love putting terribly romantic proposals in too.
When I read, I really enjoy suspense. I love not knowing who the antagonist is & trying to figure it out in mysteries (I confess I can be stumped by even the most obvious, such as Nancy Drew lol ). I guess having harrowing experiences are pretty thrilling, especially when a man in uniform is involved (horseback uniforms like Texas Rangers & Canadian Mounties are probably my most favorites, with any military branch being my least favorite, but still putting a man in uniform makes him attractive, especially when he carries a gun. And yes, I love cowboys, esp. the Old West type in the Gold Rush era & thereabouts, but that won't help this story lol). I love it when the antagonist seems almost impossible to defeat, but somehow the protagonists find a way to stop & defeat him (or her, as the case may be).
When I read suspense, I want it to be the kind where I don't like to put it down because I'm worried about my favorite characters. Sure, I know I'm halfway through the book & they can't die, but I still worry about them.
In some cases, I really like for the antagonist to almost be lovable. I know that sounds weird, but I guess I want him/her to be human so I can see his/her redeemable qualities. I want to be able to sympathize with the person, to understand the motivation behind the actions. I think that's actually why I love writing about Thranduil so much; I feel he is very misunderstood because people don't know what went on in his past and don't think about what caused him to become the way that he is.
Which leads to my telling you that I love back stories. I want to know a character's past so I can understand them better, which is why suspense miniseries can drive me crazy! There tends to be some minor character that I really want a book about because he (generally lol) seems grouchy or sad & I want to know why he got that way.
Ok, I obviously love fantasy, but I don't think that will come into play for this particular story, since my suspense novel is set in modern-day Chile. I can't explain why I like it, except in Middle Earth elves are totally amazing & I'm jealous of them, & hobbits are fun like dwarves, & some of the men are just precious (mostly meaning Faramir lol). I guess I like that fantasy provides another world that helps me escape from this one. Come to think of it, I do read mostly to escape from reality (at least I think that's why I do it).
Does this help at all?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I figured I'd actually do the prompt.

Year one- I guess I grew a little
Two- still growing
Three- I had eye surgery to correct a lazy eye
Four-consisted of running around aimlessly on the soccer field
Five- see above
Six- Got my fourth sister
Seven- received my horse blanket that I used every night up until this Christmas
Eight-I can’t think of anything for this year, but it’s safe to say I read a lot, did school, and played soccer.
Nine-I was sitting in a dentist’s chair when the towers fell.
Ten-I fell in love with Eomer on the big screen.
Eleven- I started playing volleyball and would play through high school.
Twelve- Fulfilled a life-long ambition for horse riding lessons. And got my sixth sister.
Thirteen- Generally still nerding out over LOTR.
Fourteen-Got our first dog, Lucy (named for the fourth Pevensie).
Fifteen- Silently mourned my first actual celebrity crush, Heath Ledger.
Sixteen- Driver’s license and a sexy mini van.
Seventeen- high school graduation and the Junior College life.
Eighteen- Off to Texas A&M!!
Nineteen- School and football
Twenty- School, football, my class ring, and a published book.
Twenty-one-College graduation and the start of Physical Therapy School
Twenty-two- Halfway through this one. It’s mostly school and getting a second book published!

[Edited on 01/26/2015 by rhodilwen]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
One- Haircut at 5 months
Two- Tore up my leg because I got stuck in a heating grate
Three- I watched my city go into panic when the airplane hit, 200 miles away
Four- I passed out at the dentist
Five-I wrote my first book and got glasses
Six- I received my first and only sister
Seven-I learned how to cook
Eight- My first time on a horse
Nine-I saved my mother's life
Ten-I got my ears peirced
Eleven-I got my second peircing, and graduated elementary school
Twelve- I spent the summer in PA with family
Thirteen-I saved (name ommited)'s life by staying up with her all night
Fourteen- I lost both grandmothers, and finished my first 50 notebooks

Fifteen-I watched
Sixteen-I rebelled
Seventeen-I will walk my own path
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt Seventeen:

Your in a restaurant, and you slide an envelope to the person sitting across from you
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Great job, Rhodil and Maxie!

Once again, intriguing prompt. I'll try to think up something good for this one...don't know that I will be able to write anything good, though.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, Rhodil & Maxie! Especially Maxie! You're a heroine! I thought about doing that prompt, but I don't really want people knowing my actual age. Year five is the only really significant year for me (at least that's how it felt when I thought about it!). Anyway, since ya'll will be curious now I'll just tell you I accepted Christ as my savior at five, had my first crush, and got a little sister. Come to think of it, those three things are probably why my life is like it is right now!
And I'll have to think about this next prompt. Not sure if I'll get anything or not.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Take your time! Everything for the prompts is optional.

I am going to type up my prompt for number seventeen later, as my sister wants to watch TTT. Also, I have decided to give you guys a weekly update on how my progress with my never ending writing project is going.
Maybe we can all do the same, on each Thursday we can give an update.

I am currently in Composition Book number 86. I just reached halfway in it early this morning, also known as one fifteen AM EST. My latest chapter is called Shards. I am super excited, as this chapter and the next two should be huge, according to the planning book.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
My writing update is that I finished by sci-fi story "Worldjumpers" over Christmas!!!! At some point I will type it up.
I've written another chapter in a new story I'm working on where a young prince gets turned into a wolf by a sorcerer and his brother and a young girl have to find a way to turn him back before the sorcerer finds them.
I'm afraid this might be the last writing update I give y'all until Spring Break when I'll have a few days to possibly write something. Although I'm thinking of giving myself maybe 30 min to an hour on Saturdays this semester to write, for stress relief if nothing else.
I think this is a good idea. If I had more extra time to write it would definitely keep me motivated!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I just read a Once Upon a Time fanfic called "Shards" this week!
Anyway, as an update I revised a dream a bit last week (at least I think that happened last week!) for my suspense story but am still kind of stuck. And I've started two new fanfics instead of revising my older ones. I have totally neglected Two Dwarves! But at least the story I'm writing with Mushu seems to be going well.
I have also discovered I have a knack for tragedy. I keep on writing such tragic stories, but I usually end up having to give them a happy ending anyway (I am not a Shakespeare fan and certainly don't want to mimic him in killing everyone off!). However, Mushu tells me I need to give more graphic descriptions. I might learn eventually!
And Rhodil, good luck with all your school work! This is your last semester, isn't it? Thankfully my last semester in college went way better than I expected, although I still wouldn't have had time for all this. And now I've got a second part-time job, but hopefully that won't effect my time on here (I'd freak out if I couldn't find out what Mushu was doing with our story! lol).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am not worried about losing time to write with school and work, most likely because that is what I am going to school for. Best of luck in your new semesters! My next one starts next week.

Here is my prompt response, which I have decided to insert into my current editing project, Envisage.

I glance around the shop, so bright and alive with sound and color. Although it's not unlike the market plaza of my homeland, I am somehow more uncomfortable here.

Across from me, Jacob Venzent sips his coffee. "So, Miss Harvent," He begins.

"Call me Darkness," I say.

He scoffs. "A title?"

"I don't lie. You have seen the reports. It's my name, and if you want to get this done, you'd better respect me."

Jacob sighs. "You are most definitely one of the most difficult diplomats I have had to deal with."

His accent agitates me. Flowing,not clipped, like the sounds I am used to staying here. I slide him an envelope across the small table. "I am not a diplomat. That involves compromising. I don't bend." I tap the space in front of me. "The official documents are in there. I have no problem allying with you, but I demand as much respect from you as you do from me."

He grabs the envelope, tears it open. As he reads, I stare into my cup.

He clears his throat, sets down the manuscript. He's smiling. "You drive a hard bargain, Darkness."

"Take it or leave it," I say.

He extends a hand, and I do the same, this foreign gesture still odd to me. "Done," He says.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Great prompt, Maxie!

I'm still trying to think up something for this.

And I know it's Saturday, not Thursday, but here's my update anyway: I haven't really done a ton of writing lately, but I've been working on a LotR/Frozen crossover fanfic (my first fanfic ever). It was inspired by my sisters, Eruwestiel and Mellwen. I'm having a bit of trouble at some parts, and especially figuring out where and how to stop. Hopefully I can figure it out soon, because I'm getting a little tired of seeing the unfinished project on the computer...

I've also been trying to write some more about Tempest, and am happy to report I'm actually learning more about her. She's still giving me trouble, of course, but at least I'm sort of getting somewhere.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth, I hope your block subsides. Is ir really a block, or just a lack ofmotivation? I get that feeling sometimes.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, I hope so too...it's both, really. Lack of motivation for the LotR/Frozen fanfic, and somewhat of a block on Tempest. I'm having a hard writing her...I'm still trying to sort out her character, and that of her grandfather. One of the hardest things, though, is discovering the characters' motivations for certain actions. All my characters are so stubborn where motivation is concerned. :/

[Edited on 01/31/2015 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sometimes, Mareth, character's write their own personality. Try writing a chapter, just free write it. See if you discover anything more about her as you work.
<< First2627282930Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email