Register

<< First3031323334Last >>
Author Topic:
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt 22 response:

Dear ten year old self,

Wake up. Wake up to the beauty all around you. Live life and enjoy every moment. Don't waste time waiting around for things to happen. Love the life that God has given you.

You are going to experience difficulties. You are going to lose some old friends. But you will be stronger because of the hard times; you will make new friends. And all throughout life's journey, you will always find beauty. Listen. Observe. Believe.

Life is hard, yes. Sometimes it may feel like no one cares about you, that you will never accomplish your dreams. But take heart: you will. With love, support, a whole lot of perseverance, and God's help, you would be surprised at what you can do.

In the meantime, trust God. He can do incredible things through and for you.

Sincerely,

Your future self

----

I'm on Goodreads. It is helpful, but yeah, you have to be careful.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Unfortunatly, you cannot seem to adjust your preferences with that aspect. So four out of five stars for that one.

Happy Update Day!

I am proud to say that I am now in Notebook 87! It is dedicated to my cousin. I rocketed through the first half of the notebook, which I titled Planetary. I am now a few pages into the second half, which is titled Continuity.

I told myself when I picked it up, "This is going to be an important one." and it was, as far as storyline goes. But, I was just looking ahead in my notes and...notebook 88 looks to be even better. I think that one will progress nicely as well, since I hope to be in it by March, our first challenge month.

Great prompt, Mareth. I especially love the second paragraph.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I can actually participate in update thursday this week! I worked a little in my Mountain Baron story (which I shared the beginning of a while back), brainstormed at least two new story ideas and made quite a few notes for and thought on that prompt I answered last week! Time to go study again! lol!

I love goodreads! I'm on there a lot. I use it through my laptop and not as an app on my phone, but it's the first place I go when I hear about a new book.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Congrats, Maxie and Rhodi!

I don't have much as far as updates go...I've not been getting much writing done lately. Prompt 22 was the first in awhile. I have the same book of 300 writing prompts that Song mentioned several posts ago...so far I haven't done much with it. I would like to get in the habit of writing every day, (which I'll have to do for our mini NaNo next month!) so I was thinking about trying to tackle one or more prompts a day. As I said, not done much of anything where that's concerned just yet, but I hope to do so soon. Hopefully I can give more of an update next Thursday!

And thanks, Maxie.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Love your prompt, Mareth! That's beautiful!
I shall add my congratulations, Maxie! That's awesome!
As far as updates go, I'm still stuck with much of my work. Also, I am rather concerned about my body count; it seems to grow each week (that's probably not true, but it really does feel this way!). If I wrote more murder mystery/suspense sort of stuff that would be one thing. So what I'm asking is should I be worried about myself? I'm not killing off the characters I love but rather sometimes people close to them
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The only advice that I have for you, Blue, is that it is your story. At the end of the day, you are the one who is going to make the call about what happens. Do not be worried about the success of a story due to the amount of dead characters. Look at Game of Thrones. I myself have more than a few tallied up in my fiction induced body count. If you have your readers ensnared in a story, then you say what goes.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Here's my response to prompt 21:

Rattle rattle

I open my eyes slowly and blink a few times to bring the picture into focus. I'm in the back of some sort of vehicle. Outdated medical instruments bang against the wall and a figure lies bundled on a stretcher next to me. "What am I doing in an ambulance?" I turn my head and my black hair spills over the rough blanket wrapped around me. I pick up a piece of hair and twirl it between my fingers. Somehow it seems...wrong. I sigh and drop it back down. I must have hit my head really hard. I settle back down in my chair and close my eyes. Rest is the best option...

I fall asleep without realizing it. In my dream I am running down a dark street, trying to get away from something. I dash around a corner and come up short; it's a dead end. The sound of feet thudding on the pavement behind me is coming closer and closer. I crouch in the shadows and press a button on my black bracelet. A small screen flips out and I tap 'record'. I whisper, "I need to remember who I am. My name is Traci Sanderson. I'm seventeen years old and I have blond hair and brown eyes. I live on Maplewood road in house thirty-two. I have the last sample of Carminaride on the planet and I can't let SNAKE get it. If they do...the world will be in serious trouble. I'm going to try time warping. If it doesn't work...well, at least I tried."

My shoulder slams into the wall as the ambulance takes a sharp turn. Ouch. I sit up groggily and lift my right hand to rub the sleep out of my eyes. I stop mid movement and stare at the black bracelet on my wrist. "It can't be." I press a tiny button on the side and watch the screen flip out. I hear my voice..."My name is Traci Sanderson...."

The dream wasn't a dream. It was a memory. "Then where am I now?" A crumpled paper at my feet catches my eye and I snatch it up. It's a German newspaper with the headline, "Polenfeldzug" or Poland Campaign. The date at the top of the paper is September 2nd, 1939. But it doesn't look very recent.

"It looks like the time warp worked...I'm in Germany sometime during World War Two," I press another button on my bracelet and a tiny glass cylinder filled with light blue liquid slides out. "With the most powerful chemical known to modern man. 'Out of the frying pan and into the fire'. Great job, Traci."

[Edited on 03/01/2015 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, interesting prompt, Song! Your style is so suspenseful! That's a story I'd be interesting in reading too
& thanks, Maxie! I was just worried that I shouldn't be killing off so many people all of a sudden. But they are mostly scattered in different stories so it's not like I'm just randomly killing characters just to get my readers all emotional. I guess if you write then eventually you have to kill of someone or another!
I should have thanked you earlier for clarifying the mini-NaNo challenge. It certainly will be a challenge to stick on one story, but I will certainly try! Maybe this will get me to actually finish, edit, & revise Two Dwarves!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Blue!

I am making today our first official roll call for the March NaNo. If you will be participating, please tell us the story you will be writing! Remember, 10,000words!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Unless anyone objects, I shall continue my work on Two Dwarves & Three Ladies Fair for our March NaNo. I've got revisions & some scenes that need to be either added or expanded, so even though I have a lot on it already I'm pretty sure that if all goes well I can get about 10,000 more words in there. But ya'll will need to hold me accountable! I haven't had much motivation to work on it lately, but I realized the last time I did that if I want to keep posting it on here & on Fanfiction.net, I'm going to have to do something with it! I'm closing in on a place that needs revising much more quickly than I want, & I haven't even posted a chapter for probably 2 weeks now!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Blue, we will continue to give you support. Best of luck to you!

By the way,Song, I really enjoyed your prompt! I especially love the "Outof the frying pan and into the fire." AUJ reference or no?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Maxie! That was a reference to chapter six of The Hobbit book, which bears the same title.

It could be said of me, "The geekiness is strong with this one!"

I think I would like to take part in the March NaNo. My writing will likely be scattered to various prompts and roleplays if that is okay. You never know what might end up in a book!

I had considered doing the official NaNo last year but didn't follow through. I just had no idea what I would write about. I still don't know what I would write a whole book about. :/
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Song, RPs are considered stories! Go for it!

10,000 words starts today! You have 31 days to meet your goal! Please do update us on the progress!

New prompt tomorrow!

Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nice prompt, Song.

I will be participating in March NaNo. Gem and I will be working on the story we are co-authoring, temporarily named 'City of Bridges'. I hope to get my 10,000 words written! I've figure it's only roughly around 325 words per day, which isn't bad at all. So I should hopefully be able to finish on time. I'm a bit stumped as to where to begin, but I'm hoping to solve this problem soon and get some writing done.

Good luck to everyone!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hi!

Yes, I know..I have disappeared from this thread...but I'm back.

I will join the March mini Nano! I think my story will be about a strange village called Sleepy Hollow situated in a cursed land of snow, earth quakes, and more snow.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I have one more question: do you just want us to update on the regular Thursday for mini NaNo, or do you want to do a different day entirely? (Did I just miss that part?)
& way to go everyone who's participating! 10,000 words really isn't that much over a month's time, so I don't think ya'll need to worry. Although I probably won't take my own advice in this situation lol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Update Thursday works absolutely fine, Blue!

*consults graphing calculator* 323 words a day will get the job done this month.

Prompt Number 23

You return home, and find that it has been ransacked...but only one item was stolen.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the clarification! & I like this prompt! Now to only get an idea to go with it...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Take your time. I am very excited for tomorrows Tech Wednesday! I found a great topic.

Blue, this prompt could go along with your cancer-stone story. I apologize, I forgot the title.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, great prompt!! Now to think of something for it...

I believe the name was hyacinth?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I was thinking along those lines, Maxie. Although I'm not sure if I want the stone to actually get stolen or not. And yes, you are right Song, it's called hyacinth. Although the actual story itself has the working title of Chilean Calamity, since it's set in Chile. But we shall see!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Oh my... Asks to join, don't say anything for a month. *Facepalm*
I must apologize, I have been busy with exams etc, and it is not letting up. I will try to do this one though but again it may be a bit late! Ever so sorry anyway, darn, better get writing...
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I was so excited I have done it already. Technically it is a bit different to the prompt, but let's just saw I was artistic the use of the word item.
I hope you like it!

As soon as I heard the jeep I knew something was wrong. There were no jeeps in the village; there was only one tractor, and that was broken. When you lived in a quite Indonesian fishing village, and the motor of a jeep was whining irrationally near your house, you knew it spelt trouble. I prayed, because that was the only significant thing I could think to do. I prayed that it wasn’t the traffickers. They had come here once before in my life time, when I was young. All I remembered of that day was the tears that the village had shed. So I prayed. Even the police would be better than them. I had to stifle a laugh at the absurdity of that thought. But, of course, I didn’t know then. I didn’t know not to laugh…
As I turned the corner of the beaten stony path, the only one into and out of the village, I caught a strong whiff of diesel. Even the mighty scents of the wild forest couldn’t cover that lurid heavy odour. A few steps later, and the jeep came rushing into view. It was camouflage painted, and the oncoming darkness of the evening seemed to cover it in a thick protective sheet. The sooty smoke it gave off, and the fading light, meant that I saw only a large cap worn by a small man. It covered his face in impenetrable shadows, not that I paid much attention. I tried to keep his face down, better not to be seen.
The light of the sun still danced off the leaves of the forest, on the edge of the clearing before my house. The first few houses had their shutters down and the doors seemed to be bolted shut. As I approached my house, I saw the door wide open, mud on the floor. I stood for a second, shocked into silence, then I realised… I ran as fast as he could, skidding on the muddy porch, flying through the doorway. I ran into each room shouting the name of my daughter. I struggled to fight back the tears that threatened to overpower me.
“No,” I begged, talking to no one but myself. I couldn’t run anymore, and as I arrived at my daughter’s bedroom I closed my eyes and whispered a prayer. I opened the door panting heavily.
Empty.
A howl of despair left my throat without my permission, but I couldn’t care about control any more. I sank to my knees as two tears raced down my cheeks. I gave in, and I cried. I didn’t try to stop my loud sobs any more, and I cried until my eyes were dry and raw. Finally, exhausted and wretched, I fell asleep beside my daughter’s bed.
The man walked past the fading jeep tracks, still visible from yesterday, and he stumbled towards the water’s edge. He looked white and pale, like a crumpled, ruined parchment. His eyes were as expressionless as his face. They were blank and showed nothing beyond; it was as if his soul had been cropped out of his body. He could barely move, his knees frequently buckled under his weight. He walked in short, miserable shuffles. He rowed a boat out to sea, far out, until he looked no bigger than a stick man in a child’s drawing. He stood up, and tied a rope around his ankles, then his wrists. The frost clawed at his bare feet. He looked long into the cloudy sky. Finding nothing there, he fell over the boats edge. The icy pang of the water reached his heart just before his breaths ran out, but what it found there was already as cold as stone.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
PSK...I am astounded. That was an amazing first prompt. I didn't even give a thought that one thing stolen didn't have to be an "item," per se, but a person. Just beautiful.

Happy Tech Wednesday! Today, I have an app to tell you about, very appropriate, give our first month of challenges. It is called NaNo Progress, avaliable in the Google Play store. Quite simply, it is a word tracker, and it stores the amount of words that you have typed a day, as long as you enter it in. You create a project, and editthe word count as you go. You can also set the amount of days you want your goal to be completed in, which I did on the first of this month- 31 days to write 10,000 words. I have had no problems with it, and, in light of our new monthly challenges, I suggest that you give it a shot and a download.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
PSK, you did an excellent job on the prompt. It is so heartbreaking that such trafficking of human souls still exists in many areas. :'(

Maxie, thanks for the tip! Do you know of any apps where you can enter your writing and it checks the word count for you? I do a lot of my writing on my email app on Kindle Fire and it doesn't have a word counter.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Wow PSK that was amazing!

I've heard of that app Maxie! It sounds like a great motivation tool.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Song, I know that you have Gmail, so have you looked into downloading Google Docs? Just Docs. You can create documents and write rigth in them from your Kindle, and I do beleive that you can check your word count from there as well.That is what I use when I am not on the desktop computer. It works really well.
elfmaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
Hi! I suppose I'm a budding writer, so I thought I would join this forum. I mostly like to write short stories for my little sibs. I love all your guys work.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, elfmaiden77! It's nice to have you! I'm an amateur myself so you're in good company!
Maxie, that app does sound good! Is it free? I'm such a cheapskate
PSK, I realized that although you've seen quite a bit of my writing, I had yet to see any of yours! Your descriptions are really good; they are just enough to give a great feel to the piece yet didn't totally overload me with information. I really enjoyed your response!
I still don't have anything for this prompt, but other things have been on my mind. Maybe I will come up with something soon!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Haha, well there you have it blue! Thanks for the comments everyone. *blushes*
As you've probably guessed I am completely unreliable so I will give the 10,000 word thing a miss. Hopefully I can still respond to some more prompts.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The app is free.

PSK, you can always try again next month for the 15,000 word challenge.

Hello,elfmaiden. We do a lot of great weekly activities here. One is Prompt Monday, where we get a new prompt each week and respond to it. There is also Tech Wednesday, where I discuss a technological tool that is useful to writers. And then there is Update Thursday, where we discuss how our work is going. A new thing is the Monthy Word Challenge, where we attempt to write a certain amount of words a month, preparing for the National Novel Writing Month in November.

Speaking of Update Thursday...

I am 4,056 words into March. I am still in the same notebook, but I am hoping to change that soon. I also jump started my new planning notebook, though I still need to decorate it. Speaking of such, if you have any pics you think I would enjoy, please do not hesitate to PM them over to me so they can grace my cover. I have been planning a bit each day, filling up a page for day is one of my new goals.

OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
She lives!!

Sorry I disappeared off the face of the earth for a while there, guys. How y'all doing?

I found this cool character plotting idea which Mareth said I should share with you guys. It's about making Insecurity Maps for your characters (I plan to play around with making some Security Maps as well, but haven't tried it out yet.) Here's the link to the article: http://digressionsofadementedscribe.blogspot.ca/2015/01/scribely-how-to-insecurity-maps.html

From the little scraps of your all's prompts that I saw, you guys are doing great! *fist bumps* Congrats on your word count, Maxie! And nice to see all the new folks on the thread!

I will now proceed to disappear off the face of the earth once more, but hopefully I'll show up again sometime soon. Have a great day, y'all!

Edited by mod to make it a link you can click.

[Edited on 03/06/2015 by BelleBayard]
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Alright, update time! I have 3,059 words so far! I think having this challenge has really helped to motivate me & get me going on this story again. I have been pleasantly surprised as to how well it's gone so far.
I have more to tell you: I am really pouring myself into a character, & she is teaching me so much about myself! It's really crazy! I'm noticing so many things that I need to change in my personal life but at the same time, since I know she will conquer these things, I hope it will help me see how to conquer them in my own life as well. Has anyone else ever had this happen?
Now for my prompt response, which has nothing to do with any of my stories. And before you ask, no I don't have any further plans for it right now. But you never know!

Charity sighed as she opened the door to her tiny home. Barely more than a shack, its 700 square feet of crudely fashioned logs was all she could afford now. Thankfully the painful memories that had plagued her former home didn’t follow her here. Hanging her purse on the large nail she’d painstakingly pounded into the wall, she started towards the kitchen to soothe her growling belly. Then she stopped as she took in the sight before her eyes. Everything in her home had been knocked over and pawed through. Papers and ceramic shards littered the floor. She gasped and held a dainty hand to her chest as she leaned back against the wall for support.
Who would have done such a thing? And why? She’d never harmed anyone. Was her broken life not painful enough after adding this? Ever since her husband had been killed in the Second World War two long years ago, her life had been spent pinching pennies and trying to survive. They hadn’t had much to their name for the short six months they were married, and now she had even less. Everything her sweet husband had ever given her had been either sold or pawned off to help support her. Neither of them had living relatives and they had no children. The only things she had left of him were a small photograph she kept in her pocketbook, picturing him tall and stoic in his uniform, and the golden wedding ring he’d so tenderly slipped onto her finger the day they were wed. She never wore it anymore; the memories it brought back were still too painful to face. Wait! She had to make sure it was still there!
With a burst of energy, Charity ran to her small bedside table to find the little cardboard box she kept there, which contained her few trinkets. She found the box crushed on the floor, the contents spilled everywhere. Getting down on her hands and knees, she diligently searched for her wedding ring. However, after a two-hour search of her entire home, the band remained missing. Now the last thing her husband had ever given her was gone! She threw herself on the bed and gave in to her misery. What could anyone want with her wedding ring?

(Now that I look at it again, I think it's kind of weird Oh well! I;m sure ya'll will let me know what you think!)
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Nice piece! The first few descriptions are really good. I especially like "Hanging her purse on the large nail she’d painstakingly pounded into the wall, she started towards the kitchen to soothe her growling belly." I think it captures the lifestyle that she has had to live, and shows how the smallest thing to us is the biggest to people in poverty. Some more great work from author extraordinaire Blue!

Is there any background to the name choice?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Charity is the name of a good friend of mine...

I really like all of the questions that you asked, Blue, in your prompt reply. I try to do that in my own writing, but it doesn't go as well as I would like it sometimes.

<< First3031323334Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email