Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First3233343536Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Blue! I agree, this piece read a lot better than the other. This one I revised though, so that could have been the problem with the other piece.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I think it's mostly me (ok, probably all me lol) & not you so don't be too concerned! I think having a different style than most books could prove to be a good selling technique, especially if it's the style of The Hunger Games (which I haven't read yet...), you know since that's popular right now.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
True. Everyone has a problem with different tense types. I have a really hard time, personally, getting into books that are written in third person. I can manage it, but I am not engaged as I would be with a first person one.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
@Maxie- I have not seen Guardians of the Galaxy is it good?

So we have:

Prompt Monday
Tip Tuesday
Tech Wednesday
Update Thursday

We have everything except Friday...perhaps Picture Friday? I have seen many story, scene, or descriptive inspiring pictures on Pinterest, other resources, and even some from one's own camera. How about it?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It is very good.

I also thought of Fun Friday- with a joke or funny picture that pertains to writing. Maybe even a serious quote every once in awhile. But I am open to both. What do you all think?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I am afraid you will get overwhelmed with everything on here if you add more, Maxie! But I do like both ideas; perhaps alternate between the two ideas every other week for a while & see how that works?
@ Mushu, someone told me if you're a Thranduil fan Guardians of the Galaxy is quite disturbing (since Lee Pace is blue & bald & a bad guy), so now I'm a bit concerned about seeing it myself. I've heard both ways as to whether it's good or not.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I do not get overwhelmed very often these days, Blue. I am opening to alternating, but let's see what everyone else thinks as well.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I really enjoy seeing how everyone has a different take on these prompts...such an interesting example of how unique we all are. Awesome job on the prompts, everyone!

Cenor, as Blue says, it is all a matter of opinion. If you don't like cuss words, you might want to consider watching it with someone who knows when to mute/skip. I have not seen it myself, but my two older brothers have. They didn't like it much anyway, but the reason they are the only ones to have seen it is because of the cussing. Just a little warning.

I love both ideas. Though I'm rather partial to picture prompts, myself, if that is what you were talking about, Cenor? I'm kind of addicted to finding pictures/quotes of or pertaining to my characters. Finding word prompts that can be incorporated into my story is a lot of fun, as well. I've used one already that helped me get through a block for mini NaNo, and another one that helped inspire a very short little scene.

But as I said, I like both ideas, so I think alternating would be a good compromise. But we can see what the others think, of course.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
We can definitely do both. Or post both at once, at the same time? If not in the thread, then on the Pinterest board?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt 25:

Describe yourself as you would describe the antagonist of one of your pieces.

Followed Cenor and Blue on Pinterest.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Either way would work, Maxie. Whatever is easiest for you!

I reached my goal! I finish on Saturday night. I was so excited to have actually completed. I was doing the challenge on the story I'm writing with OneSizeFitsAll, and I got about 10,315 words so far, I believe. I'll try to keep working on it, though. We'll see what my word count says by the 31st. I also started yet another story, inspired from a prompt on Pinterest, and I've written about 1,380 words on that. So I'm pretty exited.

This prompt is very interesting, Maxie...I'll have to think about it. Not sure if I'll come up with anything or not.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
This is an interesting prompt! I could totally see myself as an Evil Queen lol
Way to go, Mareth!
A curiosity: how many stories do ya'll usually have going at once? I tend to have several And then I get more ideas & start new stories, & have a few I kind of get stuck on & end up pushing back & not working on for forever.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Well, it sounds really interesting...

@Mareth-Picture prompts wouldn't be necessary but very fun

I'm still halfway through the mini

Me? Antagonist? I could work on lying and play the spy/traitor...
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I keep one going at once- I tried doing several, but found my writing was at its best when I did only one story at a time.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
That's probably a smart idea, Maxie! I get overwhelmed with mine sometimes lol Anyone else have an opinion on how many stories one should work on?
Eryniell
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone! I'm not entirely sure what the conversation is about (still pretty new here), but I just wanted to let you know that you all have brilliant writing styles. I scrolled through a few of your story excerpts and thought they were very well written
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Although I doubt you refer to me, thank you for your kind comments Eryniell.

We seem to be discussing drowning Maxie in activities for this thread, but the idea's seem good. I'm all for a Fun Friday, something a bit more light hearted. Picture Friday seems good as well.

On that note, I have an idea! Maxie maybe we can do a few picture prompts. I did a few in my English classes, and it is really good, as pictures support different interpretations better than words. You can also pick aspects of the picture to include in your plot or description. Maybe having some of those once in a while could vary it up.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I like that idea PSK, only I cannot post pictures from my tablet. Maybe email one of you the pic and you can post it?

Happy Tip Tuesday!

Give your characters a backstory. Even if their history doesn't make it to the page,you still know it, and can shape their actions justly.

I am going to go update the Pinterest board now. I hope to be back in a bit with my prompt.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the thread, Eryniell! Hope to see you around!

Maxie, would you be okay with more than one person posting picture prompts? Whoever wants to be involved with them could take turns posting. Would that work?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Here's go at the prompt, through the eyes of another character. Truly, I was taught by Romance Writers of America that describing the protagonist in a mirror was really NOT the best way to do it. Rather, best to have another character have internal dialogue or some such thing.

Kim looked at her friend as she came through the arch of the library. Late as usual, Meryl still managed to look casual, if apologetic. Although in her early 60's, Meryl had that spring in her step and her blue eyes crinkled with the joie de vivre that personified her. Her hair, artfully colored to hide the gray, had a few wisps escaping from the braid she refused to cut and the jeans and t-shirt still fit, if a bit snugger than when they'd first met. She kept the good posture and grace that years of ballet in her youth had imparted, though Kim saw the wince as Meryl descended the stairs to the library's main level. Those knees, she thought. Too bad ballet was so awful for the joints. Meryl's gaze scanned the room, lighting up when she found Kim, her trademark smile adding further to kind face. If I look that good at 62, I'll be happy, Kim thought.

Minimal jewelry, no make-up and her friend shone as though lit with an inner flame. Compassionate and passionate about what she cared for, Meryl's spirit reached out to others, trying to do everything for others, but too often forgetting to care for herself. Just like today. Meryl had offered to help with a research paper, though Kim knew her friend needed to go home and help her husband with their many animals. Though it would mean she would need to do that when she did get there, Meryl had insisted on coming to the library to help with her literature search.

Meryl lived for the axiom, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." A calming presence most of the time, she could however have meltdowns when things kept piling up on her and Kim had witnessed a royal one not long ago. Again, apologetic, she agreed at the time she needed to speak up regarding issues instead of letting them fester until she exploded. Now to see if she could live up to it. Kim doubted it, aware her friend truly hated conflict and would just keep taking on other folks' problems and tasks until she reached the breaking point. Regardless, she valued her friend, shortcomings and all. Something it seemed Meryl had a problem seeing as well. How many times had she listened to Meryl's disheartened sharing regarding how no matter what she did, nothing made a difference? Too many times and Kim realized an untruth. People who worked with and interacted with Meryl appreciated all she did for them, but Kim suspected they did verbalize this to her. Well, that would change on her end at least. Whatever would she do without her caring friend? Suffer a lot more than she already did, that's what!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gah... that is really tough. Ugh... I dun like it, but it'll have to do. Heh...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It's very good, Belle! I really like how descriptive it is.

Mareth, yes, you can take turns, as long as you let me know who it will be. If you are interested in posting a pic, let me know so I can give you a date. Same thing for Tech Wednesdays.

Speaking of which...

Happy Tech Wednesday!I have recently discovered the wonders of an app called Plot Generator, availiable for download in any app store. It sort of randomly shuffles promt elements with plot elements by genre, and can help you jump start a story. The set up seems a little bit...scrambled, I guess, at least to me. But I do use it on ocassion. I have it a three out of five based on my own personal use, but hey, that is just me. You all might like it more.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I don't mind doing the pic for a week maxie. Glad to see the idea has created some interest.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
OK, PSK, you can take this Friday, 3-27.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I like your prompt, Belle! Meryl sounds like an amazing person.
And Maxie, I just have to reiterate that I'm a huge fan of backstories! Especially tragic ones lol
Ok, I'm actually doing the prompt! It's probably not exactly what was in mind as far as the prompt goes, and please bear in mind I actually read "antagonist" now & that's what it says (I checked twice just to make sure lol).

Head held erect and back straight, the new Queen sat on her throne in a modest elven-style gown of deep blue satin trimmed in silver. Rather uncomfortable with all her royal subjects groveling before her, she attempted to keep her berry-tinted lips pressed together in a small smile but wasn’t very successful. A headache has risen from the way her golden locks had been piled onto her head and heavily pinned, making her even more annoyed at all these people she didn’t even want in her palace. She resisted the urge to rub her sleepy eyes, unwilling to smear her black mascara and eyeliner, not wanting a blue streak of eyeshadow on her finger.
Why did they have to come and pay tribute to her? Couldn’t they just send letters instead? She would much rather not have to deal with them directly, or at least not this many at once. Why couldn’t they have made her coronation a dance? It seemed the perfect solution for her new subjects to know her and visit her palace, even if they didn’t know the plans she had for them. Soon they would become her minions, ready to do all the dirty, hand-on work she refused to do herself.
Her deep brown eyes gazed coldly at all the annoying people as they came, painfully slow, one at a time to bow before her and present her with some little tribute. Would this nonsense ever cease?
Then she heard the strangest remark in the background. “Look at how thin she is! I wish I could achieve that waistline! It’s not fair, but I guess that’s part of why she’s queen.”
What? She wasn’t thin at all! Alright, she knew she wasn’t fat and rather average, but wished she was another shape entirely. Her subjects should just shut up and walk faster; forget the “nice” comments, since they were all lies anyway. People had too slow a stride for her tastes. Perhaps she should make a law that only the old and infirm are allowed to walk slow. In fact, she had dozens of laws she needed to get her royal lawmakers working on asap. For one, no one was to bother her in her castle except under her express bidding, especially not if she was asleep.
Her new head of the guard had informed her to tell him her every command, and she was tempted to make him shoo everyone away so she could sit back and relax a few minutes. However, she was too nervous to do this. The people might think her incompetent, and that would never do, not with the plans she had. She needed their complete trust and devotion. Make them think she was the kind and genteel person she appeared to be.
Taking a deep breath, she let out a small sigh before pasting on her fake, faint smile, never revealing her teeth. Somewhere in the back of the room, someone coughed, then there was a sneeze, followed by the clearing of a throat. The Queen’s grip tightened on the arms of her throne and she sat up even straighter, a scowl crossing her face briefly.
A talkative woman came up and started chatting about what a wonderful kingdom it would become. The Queen glared, hoping to convey her boredom and irritation. Yes, she enjoyed talking about subjects she enjoyed, but when the conversation was this one-sided and an endless rush of mindless babble, of course it ticked her off. Unable to take it any longer, she hissed, “Shut up and go away or I will have your head on a silver platter!”
Those who heard gasped, shocked that this demure-appearing, calm young woman would be capable of such violence. The woman stared a moment, rooted to the ground, then picked up her skirts and hurried away.
Gaining a bit more confidence, the Queen motioned to her guard and he hurried over. She pulled him down to her level and whispered in his ear, “Give the order that they are to come through as quickly as possible. Any further visits to my palace shall be by appointment only.” He promptly obeyed and the line dissipated in about fifteen minutes.
Breathing a sigh of relief, the Queen sank down into her throne. Her brown eyes flashed with annoyance; she had had her limit of people and needed some chocolate to refresh herself. Perhaps being Queen was not so great after all.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey guys! I'm just popping in real quick. I'm doing a promotional blog tour for my newest book right now and I have a giveaway open until Saturday night if anyone wanted to enter. You could win one of two copies of the book and accompanying set of illustrations from the series. The link to the blog and giveaway is in my signature.
Sorry I haven't been around in a while! Hopefully I can come start coming back around soonish!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Great prompt, Belle!

Blue - I particularly liked the line "...She had had her limit of people and needed some chocolate to refresh herself. Good job on the prompt!

Rhodi, sounds cool! I have unfortunately still not been able to read your first book, but I may look into entering this giveaway anyway.

And since I forgot to reply to this question earlier...I have several unfinished stories right now, but only two I'm actually working on. One I started a few days ago, and the other is the one about Tempest.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Mareth! I definitely cope with stress by eating chocolate...ok, actually it's just a normal, everyday occurrence & I use stress as an excuse to have more of it lol Anyway, I just had to put that in there!
I suppose since I'm here I should give my update! So, I started 2 new stories between last time & now, thus have 3 active stories (but 2 are coauthored). I haven't touched Two Dwarves for a while, even though I know I need to go through the first few chapters again since someone suggested a romance happens a bit too quickly. That's probably why the first really two or three chapters are more rushed. It could also be why I had so many problems with it. But since I edited it for the mini NaNo, I think it flows a lot better & I'm fairly happy with it. I would like to have 50,000 words on it, which the revising/editing should do. I guess that's about it, besides totally fangirling over a certain character
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im so proud of everyone!

My update is that I am still working and editing in the same notebook aslast time. Go me!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Well done Belle and Blue! I loved both prompts.

Ok, here goes for the picture prompt, I'm not sure how good it is, but it's the first one so hey ho. So you can do anything which draws inspiration from the picture.

Prompt 26:

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, PSK!
The picture prompt is fascinating & I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! It reminds me of a book I read where one of the firefighters was the arsonist. I will have to do some thinking so I don't do anything like that book lol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
PSK, you win a goold star! Great picture prompt!

I will be back- after I eat some food- with my prompt. I am starving.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Great picture, PSK! I'm working on my response. Hopefully it'll be done by tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has for this one!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks all, and congratulations on 8000 posts maxie!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
*Checks post count* O.O

Here is my prompt...long food break...

------------------------

Her skin is pale. Near colorless, from the long days spent indoors,hiding from the chill of the wind her city has to offer. Her were clouded since a young age; she now calls upon black birds to do her seeing for her. Aching muscles combine with a fiery temper, creating a somewhat uncomfortable disposition. Her hair falls to her hips, three rings hang in each ear. Not thin,but healthy and strong.

She grounds her feet to the earth and stands tall in the face of difficulty, hiding her friends behind her so that they cannot be hurt. She would rather see the flesh torn from her own bones than to see one drop of blood fall from a friend. She behaves strong until she is alone, and when she breaks, fire drips out of her veins. Sarcasm falls from her lips. She is critical, and sees past the exterior of a person to see their core. She sees more in the world around her than others twice her age see and understands it. She understands its hate and its beauty and how the same thing could be both. She is smart, and that makes her dangerous.

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Nice prompt, Maxie! I feel for her hiding from the cold winds like that.
<< First3233343536Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email