Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First4041424344Last >>
Author Topic:
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Hey guys! Sorry I kind of dropped off the face of CoE for a while there...

I just wanted to pop in and let anyone who is interested know that I'm still alive, though I've not been doing much writing. :/ Dude...I have something like three and a half pages to catch up on. *sigh* One of these days, hopefully I'll remember to get on here and read them.

See you guys later!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Mareth! Missed you! I hope that your blog is still going strong, haven't checked it out lately.

Prompt is on the previous page!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hi again Mareth! I've missed seeing you on here!
Interesting prompt. I can see how this could be taken in a million different directions...
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Blue! I have been really into words and the structure of words lately, so this was a very satisfying prompt in my eyes.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Tip Tuesday:

Really get to know your characters. Know them like they are your family. Make them real. Make them really real.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Tech Wednesday:

If you want to get your work out there, you cannot be afraid. Start building your social media platform slowly, using Pinterest or Instagram or Google Plus. Continue to build from there, if it goes well.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Has anyone here ever held a conversation with your characters? You know, sat down and talked to them about their life, your life, ask them how they feel about the story so far, that kind of thing?
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yep. That is a pivotal part of the writing process, according to class. I speak to them like the story is their life -"Where will you go if this happens? " "How will you get out of this one? "

[Edited on 06/17/2015 by findemaxam48]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
In some ways I have experienced that. I say Thranduil "talks" to me; I started out trying to write his dark side, make him a grumpy, gruff older brother. Then he told me no, that he's really sweet and just has a painful past. Other characters sometimes do the same thing, but I wouldn't really call it a conversation. I certainly have nothing on PJ in Paperback Writer by Stephen Bly (which is a really great book, btw! It gives such insight into the head of an author.).
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Updates!

Exams have really got me down as far as creativity goes. During my study breaks today, I am going to do some blocking, so I feel somewhat productive.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Aw, I've missed y'all, too! I hope your writing improves Maxie, and good luck on those exams!

I've attempted to hold conversations with my characters before. I write letters to them. They tend to be very stingy, so I have a really hard time getting much useful information from them. :/

Can't make any promises as far as the prompt goes...we have some friends over for a few more days, then I'll be super depressed when they leave...anyway, I'll try to write something for you guys to read. Eventually.

Ta ta for now!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
I've discovered it's easiest to communicate with my characters over writing. It's like they live in a different world, and the events of the story are like a play set in that world. If they die in the story, they don't really "die" in their "real life." I often hold meetings with the cast in a sort of mental room (with lots of food) and talk through plot points with them. Recently I convinced one character that her death was necessary, and she ended up helping me arrange the whole thing.

I'm starting on the prompt, but it might be long because I just got an entire idea from it.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Here is my prompt!

Wait, before that, I wanted to let you guys know that I have started to promote my writing over Instagram! If you have one and wish to follow me, let me know!

I tried to spread my wings, but they refuse to straighten. I am falling, hard and fast. the wind rose past my ears and I wonder if this is what it's like to be beneath the train when it goes over its copper rails.

Involuntarily I hold my breath. It feels like I am about to drown in the ocean of my own memory: I can't see it, but I feel all around me, trying to pull me into the deathless caverns. When I try to scream, no one answers me.I hear his voice echoing my mind. I'm human. I am fragile, I am sickle, and I am porcelain.the only thing that is currently holding me to this earth is a line of medication and the stock pile advantages.

I have failed. I have failed saving my people and I have failed saving myself. I never told them that I love them and Here I am about to visit the hell that Shasta so often told me about.

I am made of glass.

Here, Blade.

Watch me shatter.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
That's so sad, Maxie! I think that's a really good description of feeling failure.

Update! I am spoiled. My three current stories are all coauthored. They seem to be going well. I'm working on 20 chapters in Life of Haldir so far! However, I did have one day (maybe Monday?) that I got overwhelmed with writing and very close to having a headache. That has never happened before. Now I know don't try to work on three (kind of four) stories at the same time.

For my prompt, this is part of Life of Haldir. Spoiler alert! To explain a bit, Legolas was tortured by his uncle, his mother's brother, as a young elfling. This occurs centuries afterwards and after the uncle had come back to Mirkwood and once again tortured Legolas. The "I" in the story is Haldir. Legolas was written by my coauthor, flyingarrow. (I did cut a small part because it was a bit more adult content; probably still PG-13 but it isn't necessary to get the flavor of this piece).

~

Legolas yawns, getting up. He had only a couple hours of sleep, and they weren’t very enjoyable. He gets dressed and staggers out to breakfast, sitting by me. “Morning,” he croaks out, grabbing some toast and some scrambled eggs.
I glance at my friend. "You look terrible! Did you run out of tea again without telling me?"
“I'll explain after we eat, it's a little private," he mutters.
I get closer so only he can hear. "The last time you said this wasn't good."
“It's not what you think! It's not dangerous or anything."
"It had better not be," I whisper, concerned.
He frowns. "Come on." He gets up and walks out of the dining hall.
I follow him, grabbing two pieces of toast and my glass of milk since my stomach is telling me I have not eaten since last night.
He sighs. "I did not sleep at all last night. I kept having nightmares...about HIM."
"I'm sorry. Do you think seeing Lady Galadriel would help? She's an expert at this sort of thing."
He shakes his head. "I don't care. I just want to know why it happened."
My eyes widen and I almost choke on my toast. Swallowing hard, I get some milk before I can speak. "Your mother has not told you more about him?"
"No, not at all." He frowns and reaches over, rubbing my back. "You ok?"
"I choked on the toast. I'm fine." I wrench away from him, not in the mood for anyone touching me. "I think you need to speak with your mother. She knows more than you may think."
"Ok then, I'll be back later." He frowns and hesitantly walks away. He makes his way up to his Naneth's office. He knocks on the door, a little pale.
"Come in," she calls, setting her quill back in the inkwell and pulling her golden hair back from her face.
He walks in and sits on a chair. "naneth, I need you to explain something to me."
"I thought your Ada had that talk with you years ago," she says with a straight face, but her eyes sparkle with merriment.
He furrows his brow. "What do you mean?"
She pats his hand. "I am just teasing you, Ionnin. I thought you were having some issues with a maiden again. Come on, tell me what's wrong."
He scowls. "I want to know the whole story about..about him...I mean L..Luncar." He winces at the name.
"Oh sweetie, are you sure? It isn't very pretty."
"I need to know. Please tell me."
She sighs and pushes forward the glass dish of special dark chocolate with cookie bits and mints. "You will need this." Obliging, he takes a piece and nibbles it, and his mother follows suit. Then she begins the whole story of Luncar's studying necromancy and his apprenticeship with Saruman. Concluding, she states, "While I am sorry he is dead, he never changed his ways like I hoped he would. I'm sorry for what he did to you, Ionnin."
He frowns, swallowing hard. "So, that's why he...he..he..."
"Yes, that is why. We should never have believed he changed, but since he was my brother, I insisted on giving him a second chance."
He nods. “Thank you for telling me.”
She puts her arms around him in a warm embrace. "You did need to know, Ionnin. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner."
“I had to ask, because last night I had horrid nightmares about him, I couldn’t sleep at all.” He hugs her back.
She gently kisses the top of his head. "Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. Have you asked the healers if they can do anything for you?"
“No, I haven’t. I should, shouldn’t I?”
"Yes. Do you want me to come with you, Ionnin?"
"If you want. I'll be fine."
"I do. Come on." She pulls him up, a sad smile on her face.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Pretty good, Blue! My only criticism is that they seem to have a very casual form of speech. Very modern, as well. It doesn't really fit with the image I have of the characters and makes them seem a bit off of position.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, it is. It's based off a roleplay & my coauthor always does first person, so I have to go in and change everything to third person so the story can be told from Haldir's point of view. Do you have suggestions on how to make it better? This is more an AU story, so I'm not as concerned as I would be if it were a fanfic I was just doing on my own. I honestly don't think I'll do any more first person present tense stories, since it doesn't feel quite right to me either.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well, first person present tense is my expertise. Maybe cut out a lot of the conjunctions for a more classic feel, so "shouldn't" would be "should not" and "couldn't" would be "could not."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Alright. That's definitely easy to fix. Just curious, but are you seeing the modernness (for lack of a better term) in all the characters?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Honestly, I am not, but that may just be me and my exhaustion and burn out over exams. Sorry. Have you gotten any reviews on your fanfictions yet on Fanfiction.com? I know that was something you were waiting for. I hope you did, and I hope they were good!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Ok. I think my coauthor words things more modernly than I do most of the time. That does help a bit.
Ehehe...I've gotten three from guests in the past about 36 hours, and they were not what I wanted to hear, so I deleted them. Two were on the first chapter of 2 Dwarves. I know it's kind of a cheesy plot and very AU...I guess I'd better not rant here and be nice. PM me if you want the details. Life of Haldir has a couple and one person I don't know seems to like it. It also had a guest review that just said "Eh...". I tried putting pictures on my stories so I'm not sure if that helps or not, since not all my stories center around Thranduil O.O (I have the same Avi there as I do here). Thanks for asking & for giving advice!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
No problem! Rejection stings. I think people are just trying to help and that is their way of helping. Feel free to PM me and complain.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
New prompt on Monday!
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
I started a whole thing off of this prompt on a website called Storybird, so do you mind if I post the link here instead of the whole thing?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Go ahead as long as it fits with the site guidelines.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
https://storybird.com/chapters/the-cut-glass-bird/1/
^ This is the link to my prompt/story.

[Edited on 06/24/2015 by BelleBayard]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Edhelharn, I cannot access that site when I copy and paste it...

Prompt Number 49!

Another one word prompt-BURIED

And the Tip for Tuesday!

Keep your writings organized! Keep track of dates, times, and events so you dont forget.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, sorry! I'm not sure what went wrong there. Never mind then.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I couldn't access that link either.
What a loaded prompt! I don't know if I can do this one; it automatically brought me to the one scene I dread rereading in a fanfic. However, as I think on it perhaps I can work it out into something I'll enjoy instead of spending about 15 minutes crying over!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
I fixed it. If you take the whole thing, Edelham, highlight it when you edit your post then put the URL button (world with link) it will put the whole URL into a link you can click. I tried it and had no problem. The ^ shouldn't be included. Hope that helps!
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Belle!
Ooh, new prompt. Very intriguing...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I'm here! Exams are over! Prompt response tomorrow!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Update! Pretty much the same. My coauthor came back for Life of Haldir, then she decided to do something else, so I told her that means the story is all mine & I can do whatever I want. She said ok! So it is mine until she decides she wants to pick up on it again. It will be a while before I get the later chapters up anyway (I think there are about 24 or so now! But some are kind of short :/).
What do you all think about Haldir having a romantic interest?
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Update: Sorry I disappeared for a little while. I've decided to do July Camp Nanowrimo and have been worldbuilding for a while. Also, working with someone else on a crossover story between my novel and hers. There is romance involved.

Haldir? Love interest? That sounds interesting!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt response!

I'm already dreaming, but this isn't my dream. There is no gore, no tears. I can't taste acrid blood in my mouth.

Nope, not one of mine. It's one of Jed's.

This has happened to me once before - where I leave my own mind for a change and casually stroll through someone else's. Every other time, it's been Adrian's. Never Jed's.

He's walking through the woods, barefoot and bare chested. I don't bother to advert my eyes, since he can't see me. Jed steps over a fallen tree and runs his hand over it's scarred bark, tasting and inhaling it's Draining life.

I settle myself next to the tree to b watch him, but just as I do, going deeper into the woods.

I don't even get the chance to follow him. Damn it, boy. I can't even catch up to you in your sleep.

Fortunately, my subconscious shoves me along until I'm with him again.

I see him kneeling in front of a hole in the ground.

I try to move in closer, taking a few ghostly steps in his direction. I want to place my hands on his back, run my fingers through his hair. Would he notice me?

I move to find out, but another figures presence stops me dead.

"I didn't think you would come," Michael's voice says.

I lurch backwards and smash into some trees. Dead in real life, free in my dreams.

Michael's presence doesnt scare Jed like it did me. Instead, he stands up and says, "Give her back to me."

"Give who-? Oh. Oh, how rude of me. That girl, that pretty little queen-"

"Darkness."

"Yes..." Michael sits down beside Jed and says, "That girl will be the end of you. You are light. There were never two worse things than light and darkness."

"What the hell do you want me to do? " Jed demands. "Leave her alone? You- you of all people know that love doesnt work that way."

"I am not asking much of you, " Michael says smoothly. "I am merely requesting that you study the consequences of the actions you desire."

As I am unraveling myself from the underbrush, Michael snaps his fingers. I pull free from the branches as blood b splatters the side of my face.

I scream, silent to them. Did he hurt Jed? Are my nightmares transitional into his mind?

No. Because Jed is leaning over the hole dug into the earth. Blood is running into the dirt, up out onto the grass.

"Do you recognize the feeling of her blood, Jedediah?" Michael asks innocently.

I look into the grave.

The occupant is me.

I am torn out of the dream by the screams of the boy sleeping next to me.

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, I was not expecting that twist at the end, Maxie! Interesting. That would be one scary dream!
<< First4041424344Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email