Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First4243444546
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Belle! It means a lot.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt Fifty Three:

Does your protagonist believe in the supernatural? Or not? Write a piece expressing those views.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Elnath
Council Member
Send Message
Whoa, hey guys. I have been quite busy recently. Saving up for a car is no fun. I am trying to relax and write for a bit, but something like just came up and now I am really stressed. I think I need to just write something without even thinking about what I am trying to write or where it's headed.
Annog nin daf pladan tele ci?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Elnath, best of luck! You will get back into the swing of things soon.

I have put a lot of consideration lately into starting a blog. If I do, I expect much support and promoting help!

Kidding. But some support, comments, and "spreading the word" would be great.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, you should totally create a blog! I have one but I haven't posted on it in forever. Quite pathetic really.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Hi all! Sorry for the long absence. I was in China

Update: I won Camp! I hit my goal of 25,000, with help from my lovely cabinmates.
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, guys!! I've been gone for awhile. Blame school and my first clinical internship going on right now. And editing a novella I'm getting ready to publish. And participating in Camp NaNo for the first time ever!!! I won Camp this morning! I'm so excited. I only had a goal of 10K and I didn't think I'd get it done, but I did! I have a post on my blog about it with excerpts from my project!

Yay for more bloggers! Let me know if you do start a blog, maxie! I'll definitely follow you!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will, rhodil! I think it is a yes for now, still thinking up a name.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well, it has been very dead around here. Let's try to rev it up next week.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Prompt Number Fifty Four:

Pick one character. Describe them once to be charmed by them, and again to be disgusted by them.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I've been doing way more reading than writing lately (except when certain characters bug me & tell me I need to do such and such with them!)! I think it's been good to recharge my creative juices. Having around 100 books in your house waiting to be read is a good motivator...
Anyway, I do like this prompt! Is there a character of mine you've already met that anyone would like to see? I have so many (well, some of them you know I just claim as mine!)...I will definitely consider anyone you'd like to see, but it all depends on whether he/she talks to me!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Blue, how about Arathorn?

Same goes for me. IF there is any character you want me to do, let me know. They are all pretty much talking to me at a good clip this week, for some odd reason.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I'd love for you to do either Jed or Randy!
I shall have to ponder Lord Arathorn further. He talks to me pretty well most of the time. I still feel guilty that I have to kill him off, but that's canon. Tolkien says it happened that way & I wrote my survival fanfic to counteract it...
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Blue, I will see which one decides to talk to me. I will post it here tomorrow when I am working on school.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Agh, sorry I've been missing again :s

I'll try to do the prompt, it's a very interesting one! By describing to charm/disgust are you meaning to describe them as if you were charmed/disgusted, or describing them in a way as to make people feel charmed or disgusted?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I hope we can get this thread going again. It has been awhile.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I really meant to write that prompt & started it but never finished! Arathorn just didn't want to talk to me I guess, likely because of what I had to do to him :/
Edhelharn, I took it to mean the first description should be positive, one that will make you love the character. But the second should be one that will make you loathe him or her. Maybe I understood wrong, though.
I think I PM too many people or something & don't have anything left to post!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Here is something from Ghost Cenor....not the prompt....but tell me if I've already posted it here or if its good at all!

Fear, a cold slime that oozed around my heart and slid down, gripping my gut with its sickening grasp. Wet-no that wasn't the word to describe it-soggy, annoyingly soggy. Not to mention my heart beating out a ragged, grinding tune against my aching rib cage. My head is throbbing from the rush of adrenaline surging through my restless nerves. This fear holds me captive like a caged beast or lets me rage like a wild animal. I hate it, but cannot get rid of it any time soon. It is a monster I must conquer-soon.

The Victim
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Drops from the ceiling* I live!

*Peers around at all the new posts and groans* I've been away far too long. I have so many pages to catch up on...

Anyway, I just thought I would pop in. I'll probably forget about this thread and disappear again, despite all my good intentions to catch up on it.

Maxie, I've seen that prompt before but never knew exactly how to go about writing it. I want to give it a shot, though. I'll post if I come up with something!

Mushu, that prompt is really good. It really put me in the place of the character. Excellent work!

Everyone else - I'm sure you have all got some lovely pieces up in here, and I can't wait to excavate through old pages and read them.

Keep up the good work, all!

[Edited on 08/25/2015 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Mareth!!

Okay just a little update here....

I am currently working on a dystopian novel...that may or may not turn into a trilogy or something like that. It will be different than most dystopians...and the main difference is I think is the time traveling theme that I have not seen in many dystopians.

That's all folks!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
That's excellent, Cenor! Good luck with the story!

I'll do my best to pop back in more often, but RL is being busy right now.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Four pages and 3 months since I last posted!
Very sorry all, but I had exams then a very hectic summer and now a very hectic start to school. I feel sad that I have disconnected from CoE for so long.
I am back however! And I shall atone for my absence by writing as much as I can.
So yeah... I shall hopefully be seeing you all regularly again. Hooray!
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
PSK, I think the thread is trying to die anyway! There hasn't been much activity on here lately. Ok, I admit I haven't had much to say.
So hi again everyone! I'm not dead! I've been busy with my two jobs. I do have some news! I think (emphasis on think here!) I have a plot for my historical novel! I want to attempt writing it for NaNo. It's not exactly what I thought it might be, but I think it will make for an interesting story. If not, I may try something else: I think having a historical mystery would be way cool! I don't think I've read any historical mysteries so I'm not sure that much is out there. Plus (don't think I'm psychotic for this! I'm not!) I think writing about a serial killer could be pretty interesting.
My suspense is still totally stuck. It was a good idea in theory but has yet to pan out. The male MC just doesn't want to talk. At all.
And I'm currently writing what will likely be just a short story about Rahab in the Bible (you can read her story in Joshua 2).
That's about it for me!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Work, school, life... it gets in the way. Perhaps time for a new prompt!

Give a back story on a villain of yours that shows how he or she got to where they are in your story.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I was going to try for this prompt...but I'm rather rot at back stories. :/ I'll see if I can post some writing again, soon.

Is anyone here participating in NaNoWriMo this year?
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I was also going to do this prompt but never got around to it. I love backstories! But I unfortunately don't have that many physical villains. I like the psychological kind when I write, apparently.
And yes, I am doing NaNo! This is my first official year. I decided way back to do my historical fiction. So far it is going remarkably well. I ended up starting over pretty much from scratch.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Hey Blue! Long time one see! That's awesome. How has NaNo been going for you? I have a little over 11,000 words now. I'm continuing the same story I did with Camp NaNo, but I'm not including the 25,000+ that I've already written in my word count. It's been pretty fun so far.

I'll try to find a prompt to post sometime soon if anyone around here is interested.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hey Mareth! It has a been a long time! I haven't had much to say on here.
Thanks for asking about NaNo! It had been going wonderfully until today; I had an apathetic day & only got 751 words written on this book. However, I'm actually over halfway done already! I have over 27,000 words! I'm quit excited about that. I read this book last month called "Story Trumps Structure" by Steven James. It was a very helpful resource for writing, I thought. I'm a pantser, & he is as well,even though he doesn't like those terms. What helped me the most is that a book is really about a goal. Your MC wants something & the book is the journey to getting it, leading up to how they react when they do get it, or possibly when they don't reach it. I realized when I tried to write this book before, the only goal was to get her married off somehow. That's still my goal, but I figured out how to play things a little better to make it hard for her to obtain that goal.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, me either, really. I would like to see this thread get going again, though. I know Maxie is super busy with real life right now, so she can't really keep this thread up. I was hoping NaNo would get some more activity in here, but so far it hasn't done much. :/

Ah, yes. Those days...it's been happening to me more and more of late. But I finally got a little over 2,000 words yesterday, so I've finally pasted the half way point! Though I'm not doing as good as you are. I guess I'm a 'panster', too. Though I don't quite understand why that word was chosen to describe us, but anyway. Something I have found helpful in my writing is when I'm stumped, I change location. I throw my characters into a new setting, and give them a new situation to deal with. It seems to help get my word count up.

Keep up the good work with writing!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah. That happens to even the best writers, at least I sure hope they have days where it's a strain to write even one word. I only wrote abut 750 words that day. But I was already ahead so I didn't worry about it. There comes a time where you just need to stop writing & refresh yourself, maybe by reading, which is what I did. I did manage to write about 1750 or so words the next day, so it was fine! Plus I finished the book I'd been reading.
Yeah, that's a good idea! I think that's what I ended up doing. It apparently worked. I'll see how today goes. I haven't written anything yet (well, unless you count be being up after midnight writing on a fanfic, but I'm just not going to count that).
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Welp, I've been missing for a while. *waves* I'm back! For now...

I'm also doing Nanowrimo, and am cowriting with a good friend of mine. It involves both of our characters who happen to be married, and it's a refreshing change from the fantasy fantasy fantasy style I like to write, as her books are more in the adventure/realistic fiction genre. It's going a little slowly as of now since I'm not used to the genre, but I have high hopes for the story.

Go, Mareth! You can do it! And congrats on your first official Nano year, Blueberry!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
This is true. Good job on getting those words! I think I'm a little ahead, but I'm going to fall behind if I'm not careful. I'm going to try and get some more words written this afternoon, but since I have some homework for school to get done, I don't know how much I will get done. :/ Blue, do I have you as my buddy on the NaNo site? I don't remember adding you...

Welcome back, Edhelharn! I must admit I don't remember your username...perhaps you were more active on the pages when I was absent that I never did get around to reading. Anyway, nice to meet you.

Good job on your NaNo word counts, both of you! Keep going! We are over half way there...I can see a speck of light at the end of the tunnel.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello again!

Well I am at 2,000 words which is positively exciting considering I have a computer that hates me or has been dying a slow death. Yay for everyone and their nano's!!

May I ask for genres and a short synopsis of your stories?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Edelharn! Keep up your good work as well. It's always good to write a genre you do not do often. You may find you enjoy it as you get more used to it. I like branching out, trying new things with writing, but sometimes it just does not work out (like I never have really gotten a good feel for first-person present tense & honestly don't enjoy it).
And Mareth, no we're not buddies on NaNo. My username is the same as this one if anyone else wants to buddy me, but if you have a different name than you use on here please let me know!
Cenor already knows a bit about my story, but I'll go ahead & say it's a Christian historical romance. It's first-person past tense (which I do enjoy writing & ready when it is done well). My female MC is struggling to find her place in the world without having a husband, even though her time period means she would be better off with one, and she wants one desperately. At least that has been my intent.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Hmm, a synopsis. I'm not very good at these, but I'll try...

I'm cowriting a realistic fiction adventure story with a friend (repetition, sorry). The important thing to note is that this is set in her world (aka real world) and most of the characters are hers originally. There is also a lot of backstory because there are previous novels in the series. Raven is my character. I'll just put down my side of the plot that I'm in charge of.
Our two characters Topside and Raven (ship name Trap courtesy of friends) have been married for about a year. Topside receives a call from an old friend one night, and after asking Raven if she would trust him no matter what, he disappears. Raven worries for a month or so before she sees him on national news being accused of assassinating a US senator in North Korea. This sets off more events, the FBI get involved, and she has no idea what is going on. Confusion and plot ensues.
... yep, I'm bad at summaries

I've tried writing in various forms but I think I still prefer third-person past tense. The others don't quite click with me, and I like the omniscient style of storytelling.

Congrats on the words, Cenor! Computers can be tricky like that

*hums "just keep writing" to the tune of "Just keep swimming"*
<< First4243444546
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email