Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First4243444546
Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hey there! I hope everyone did well on NaNo! I wasn't sure I was going to make it for a while there! Anyway, I finished with just over 54K words! And now comes the fun part of writing around 25K more to get to the 80K novel length. I've just got to remind myself to read more!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Congratulations, Blue! Your novel sounds good. Looking forward to reading it once I see it in print!!

Edhelharn - your novel sounds really interesting. Hope it's going well for you!

I kept meaning to post a summary of my book here, but kept forgetting. Here it is, if anyone is interested:

Rosemary is a young girl from a faraway land. Due to inconvenient circumstances in her own world, she is sent to Earth to dwell amongst those who have never before seen magical creatures, and who do not believe they exist.

She tries to lead a "normal life", and it seems to work for several years.

But when the magical creatures start showing up on Earth, Rosemary starts to doubt the wisdom of changing planets and bringing the danger to another world.

Yeah, not a super informative description. There's a dragon, goblins, unicorns, possibly a Phoenix and faeries. There's also a lot to do with food and books, and probably saving the world from certain destruction. I've still not really worked the plot out. But I did finish NaNo with around 53k words. It's far from novel form, though. I have lots of work to do.

Keep up the writing, everyone!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! It is an adult book, just to forewarn anyone. But it is also Christian fiction.
Nice! Great job, Mareth! It does sound interesting & unique!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Okay. Thanks!

Merry Christmas, my fellow writers!!! I hope you all have had a smashing, sparkling Christmas!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Belated Happy New Year all!

I've been busy and school finals are coming up soon, so I'm going to be as sporadic as ever. I did manage to start a blog over the holidays though, something I've been wanting to do for a bit I cleared Nano with about 55K, which was a bit nerve-wracking for me.

Congrats on the wins, everyone! And that sounds like an awesome book by the way, Mareth. I love fantasy and that sounds like something I would read
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Happy New Year to you too, Edhelharn!

Congratulations on your word count!! Yes, I was so tense and strung up that last day of NaNo. I updated my word count for the last time at 11:59 pm, November 31st. (And then of course I find out the next day, if you weren't able to update your word count in time, they can help you fix that. All that stress for nothing. Oh well. It was still fun in a messed up, ridiculously stressful sort of way.)

Thank you! I must admit it actually sounds like something I would like to read, which is why I am writing it. Though of course I would hope that on the off chance it ever does see print, others would enjoy it as well. So thank you for your vote of confidence. I'm looking forward to your novel! - And congratulations on the blog, by the way! I have one too, actually, but I don't post often enough to have any followers. Could I ask for the link? If you don't want to share it here, of course that's quite alright. Mine doesn't actually have much to do with writing currently, but I really hope to expand it and add a tab for blog posts on writing, one of these years days. Anywho, here's the link if you want to check it out: http://letmehavewings.blogspot.com/ I will say - I am a Christian, and that heavily influences my blog posts. Just so you know.

[Edited on 01/11/2016 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
DragonxKing
Council Member
Send Message
It has been after much procrastination and distraction that I was finally able to put the ideas that have been stirring in my mind on paper. My biggest dilemma is that I have too many ideas at once so I never know what to do, so it overwhelms me. The other night I just started typing and put my mind in such a state of relaxation that I was able to let so much come out. It was exhilarating.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
That's awesome, DragonxKing! I always love that feeling. Please forgive me if you've already posted it, but what genre are you writing?
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Oops, sorry for the long absence... life got busy again.

Mareth - Your blog looks really interesting! Will bookmark it to look through later, since I'm a little cramped for time right now, but I'll be sure to actually take some time and look at it
My blog is here http://silkenwhispers.blogspot.com/ and it's still pretty new, so There's mostly writing stuff/bird stuff right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll drift off topic as it goes on.

DragonxKing - having those bursts of inspiration is always fun It sounds like you're having a lot of fun with all the ideas and plot bunnies - they're very tempting, aren't they?

[Edited on 02/19/2016 by Edhelharn]
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, guys!

It's been forever since I've been on. Like almost a year, I think.

Anyway, I did Camp NaNo back in July. It was the first NaNo thing I've ever done, but it was a lot of fun! Someday I might work up the courage to try it for real in November.

DragonxKing - I use a lot of sticky notes for those random ideas I get. Or I use an app called Evernote. I have probably over 20 different notebooks with notes and ideas for about that many story ideas.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I'm baaaaacccckkkk! Inspired by Mareth and Eruwestiel.

It's lovely to read all of your updates. I guess I should update you guys!

First off, I started a blog, which is www.juliasfisherwrites.wordpress.com I also have Twitter and Instagram accounts dedicated to my own publicity and marketing, which are @JuliaSFisher1 and @juliasfisherwrites, respectively. I have also been featured in a bunch of online magazines run through Wordpress, which is my first publishing experience, and that has been a joy.

I have been accepted to a college in my area that specializes in the creative arts. I will be attending in Fall 2016 for a double major in Creative Writing and Literature and a minor in Filmmaking, with concentrations in Fiction and Screenwriting. I was also blessed to get a scholarship! I am so excited for college!

I also got a job at my local library, which has been the bane of my existence and source of income as of late. Which is also a contributing reason for my absence from the CoE.

I also missed NaNoWriMo 2015 because of work. In November, I worked 25 hours a week, which was technically illegal because I was a minor at the time. But I digress.

I've been firing away at my book series as well. It has changed and morphed a lot; it has become incredibly complex. I am amazed at the things that I have found out about myself and my characters in the past few months, and I can't wait for what's next in that regard.

So yeah! That's my quick update! I hope to become active here again, I miss it!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:... I have been accepted to a college in my area that specializes in the creative arts... I was also blessed to get a scholarship! I am so excited for college!

Good for you, Maxie! Especially about getting a scholarship! Something that has become increasingly important in the more than forty years since I matriculated in college in the US, unless memory fails.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:

Good for you, Maxie! Especially about getting a scholarship! Something that has become increasingly important in the more than forty years since I matriculated in college in the US, unless memory fails.

Thank you so much Gando! And yes it is. School is incredibly expensive, and I'll be drowning in debt either way. But I'm trying to alleviate the costs as much as I can.

[Edited on 03/27/2016 by findemaxam48]
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Edhelharn! I regret to say I've not been able to look much at your blog yet, but what I've seen I loved! I can't wait to read more!

Rhodi - I'm glad you got to do Camp NaNo! You should go for the November one sometime. Lots of fun to be had.

Maxie - you know I love your blog. I still need to catch up on your posts! And I'm so excited for you about college! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I've not been writing much since NaNo, sadly. But I'm hoping to get some help on the story line of my NaNo novel and get it rolling again. I've been very busy with traveling. As some of you have seen, a few of my siblings and I got to drive up to Maxie's state and meet her, along with another family we met through the Council. It was definitely one of the best things that ever happened to me! In other news, I had been hoping to get a job at a summer camp this year, but neither of the camps I applied for can take me. It's disappointing, but it gives me a chance to (hopefully) catch up on school and writing over the summer. We shall see how that goes.

I'm looking forward to life's new adventures, and I hope all is well with each of you in your corner of the world! Happy writing!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, Mareth! Take your time! I have put it on hold recently to focus on other projects, but maybe I will post soon.

And it was fabulous to meet you, but you know that.

I also better let you all know that I am now available to edit and critique anything that you would like me to read for *sparkle sparkle* free! I have been trying to get myself off the ground and edit professionally, but I owe the Council a debt.
Council Member
Send Message
Long time no see! Sorry I haven't posted in this thread in a while (or this forum, to be honest), but I've been distracted with some of my other fandoms (Jurassic Park/World mostly). I thought that I would let everyone know that I've created a writing blog on blogger. Here's the link:

http://survivaliststories.blogspot.ca/

I started with the drabble I wrote as part of a Secret Santa for someone on Arwen Undomiel because it was the only story I have that's actually complete. I'm thinking of adding a Jurassic Park type story that's actually a combination of two ideas I have.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Lady Oakenshield! Happy to see you again!

I'll take a look at your blog!

What would everyone think of starting Prompy Monday back up again?
Council Member
Send Message
I think starting the prompts up again is a good idea, since not all of us are on NaNo (I find fan fics easier than original ideas, since I haven't written anything original since college). How about this for a prompt:

"Describe a typical day for one of your characters at their place of work after something unexpected happens" I'm not sure what number we're on, but it can be a character from any fandom (it's been a while since I played my Jurassic World character, since that RPG on Jurassic Park Legacy where I was playing her kind of died, due to lack of activity. This is a different character than the one that will be in my upcoming story). If you like this prompt, I'll post it tomorrow (it's a female character by the name of Shawna Morrison, and they just had a code 19, which means one of the dinosaurs has escaped, yet again).
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hey!

I have recently discovered the joy of short story historical fictions! Love to hear whats going on with CoE's writers!

LoL

Cenor
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Plan for me is to retire and start writing big time. Good to hear from you again!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, goodness! I apologize for my long absence! My laptop named Mairon had some water damage issues, but was reborn today as Sauron. I guess that's what I get for naming my Macbook the name of a fallen Maia.

I am starting college a month from today (!!!!!!!!!!) where I am studying Creative Writing and Literature with concentrations in Fiction, Screenwriting, and Editing.

I have been hard at work on my book series as usual, which now has a name, yay! I have also branched out to writing plays, inspired by Tennessee Williams.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Not knowing any of the back story, the bad guy here would be the tall dark haired man due to his abuse of the woman.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone!
Pretty sure I haven't been on for about a year and a bit (I don't know how it's been that long) but I thought I'd log on and see what's up.
We still doing those prompts or not? Or maybe that was a different thread?
Anyway it's nice to see all these familiar faces/profiles again.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hi PSK! Unfortunately, I have been unable to hop on CoE much as of late, and because of that, the Prompt thing has sort of died. I will be totally willing to resurrect it though if there is enough interest!

About a month ago, I finished, editing and all, my first book ever! It was difficult but extremely satisfying. Hope you're all doing well!
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
^^ Congrats on your book Julia! I can't wait to hear all about it on New Years, I haven't seen you in so long!!
"A sprinter learning to wait."
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Congrats on the book! First steps to literary greatness let's hope.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks guys! I hope so too. Going to school really helped me creatively, I think. I've met so many other creative people that inspired me as I went along. I'd love for you all to read it!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It is a Monday, so I decided to throw this up here just in case:

"Emotional pain now leaves physical scars. Describe your body."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hmm I'll have to think on that one Maxie...

Does anyone know of any writing competitions in the United States that would be unbiased and reasonably priced? I would like to enter a few of my works, but I don't make much at the moment and my works contain Christian elements that I wouldn't want to be judged for.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Pro tip: If you have to pay to enter a writing contest, skip it. People with true intentions in regards to your work will offer to look at it for free. If you are submitting to an agent, or an editor, it is understandable that you will have to pay a fee. Oftentimes these contests are not won based on the quality of your writing but rather luck of the draw. As writers, most of us don't have the luxury of throwing 50 bucks at a competition.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! Yeah it seemed weird to have to pay to enter a contest...but I have to pay to enter music competitions so I thought maybe it wasn't so crazy. You're right....paying that much to enter is like gambling and I don't have money to burn. Any suggestions on who might want my short stories?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Honestly, the market trend right now is still strong on novels and tipping a bit towards novellas. Short Stories aren't really in demand on their own, unless they're amassed into a one volume collection. But that can be really, really tricky, especially for first time authors. For now I would suggest sharing with your friends and acquaintances, and then editing like crazy. In the words of my English professor, "Editing is always harder than writing and if you find editing easy, you're not editing as well as you should be." If you want to share with the wider internet, I recommend creating a Wordpress, Blogger, or Tumblr blog, all free and all completely customizable. That way others can find you and if a friend or family member wants to read some of your stuff, just tell them the link to your site!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hmm...okay!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
As always, perseverance get's results. Always try new things, even if you're not comfortable!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
One of the masters of short stories in one book is Ray Bradbury. Give Illustrated Man a read if you're into a bit of 20th century historical science fiction.

I am writing a collection of shorts that are interelated a bit. Hope to actually do something with them.

I won't pay to enter anything. That almost sounds like a scam of sorts. I get they want to cover costs and such, but still...
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
<< First4243444546
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email