Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First7891011Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I went through all the CoE lessons as well as the lessons on...what was it, I think it's called DreamingWeaver? You can register for the class like a college class, which I didn't do, but the lessons are still always open. CoE also has many charts and things you can print out and save, which I know are reliable sources. And this link here- http://elfdict.com/index.page- is my dictionary, made up with reconstructed words and such. I can't translate on the fly, obviously- Sindarin is much to much to complex for that- and I don't have the consonant mutations memorized (good thing, there are many), but I do know the words and situations that trigger a mutation, which is the most important of them all. Plus, with your handy dandy CoE Consonant Mutations chart, you don't need to have them memorized! (I feel like Im writing an infomercial!) I also have my notebook where I transcribed all of the lessons. So I can translate things on paper, just not verbally on the fly or on a whim.

And I do the lessons when I get home from school or when Im done with my work in class, Ele (Very pretty nickname) and I only had ten more since last I saw you, and it only takes me a day per lesson plus the assignment. But after lesson 14, there are no more excersizes.

Has anyone here ever heard of Wattpad.com? It's a site for writers. Check it out!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I haven't heard of that, maxie. I'll have to head over there at some point.

I've started into a scifi type story if anyone's interested in reading the first bit. It's about a the captain of a ship that can "worldjump" or go to different worlds through sky portals. She picks up a passenger from our world and they go on many adventures and save a planet or two. But I'm only in the beginning stages. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Can't wait to get my signed copy of your book, Rhodi!!

Never heard of that site...

Oh, I'd like to read the beginning, Rhodi.

[Edited on 02/18/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
lol!! Well I just listed it for a giveaway on Goodreads.com if you use that.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have never heard of Goodreads! What is it, precious--what is it?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
it's a website basically where you can review books. It's pretty cool. I only started a month or so ago when a friend of mine put the book on there and reviewed it for me.
Mareth-I'll send you the story shortly.
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, I'm on there, too! And Mar, I've read Rhodi's book. O.O Whoo!
Authors are extremophiles; in short, creatures capable of surviving in the harshest of environments.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
My sister is on Goodreads.

Can't wait to read it!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Nice Rhodi! Keep it up!

I've started on a book as well, but writer's block is a thorn in my writing side. :/
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
You sound like me, Alexanda. :/ It's pretty annoying...that's why I haven't written for awhile.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Just write right through it- it will be terrible as your doing it, to be frank, but then you will be able to go back and edit it once your thorn is removed and you are healed.

Another wierd thing that I do- and your all going to laugh- is that laying in bed at night, I picture my character(s) and talk to them in my head and imagine what they say back. Like an interview. Like this:

Me: Why did you do this and this and this?

Character: Because...

It's wierd, but I find that it works.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I find that lying in bed is the best time to brainstorm. usually when it's really late and I really need to be asleep. lol!!
I'm slowly working off a bad case of writer's block. hopefully it stay away for awhile.
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
@Alexanda and Mar: I can only agree with Maxie. The ONLY surefire way to get rid of writer's block is to write. It sounds silly and foolish, but it's true.

You don't want to write, you can't think of anything to write, what you do write sounds terrible, you can't think of anything that sounds right, etc.

You don't realize it, but they're excuses your mind comes up with cause it doesn't like hard work.

Oh, and if you can, dispense with the computer. It's a major distraction.
Authors are extremophiles; in short, creatures capable of surviving in the harshest of environments.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, just suffer right on through it. Writing is your job, and you can't walk away from your job. You need to learn to do it, even if you may not like it.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah. That's true. I've basically given up on writing until I feel the urge to do it again. It only works when that happens.

Ug, I feels so behind on all the forums now! I waited too long to post stuff in here.
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with you guys. It's very interesting that it is the time when you're in bed when the ideas an imagination start to come. maybe you can make notes in bed....until you fall asleep lol.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I have a notebook that I try to carry everywhere, to write ideas down, but I keep forgetting...
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I remember many times where I have left home WITH my notebook, but without my purse...*bangs head*
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I finally wrote an idea down that I was brainstorming all day long at work. For the first time ever. lol!! I should start doing that more often because sometimes I have GREAT ideas and then I forget them like five minutes later. my life.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have actaully gotten in trouble in class for whipping out my notebook to write down an idea. Well, my randomness notebook, that is. I carry two--one is the ever-growing story I have, and then the other is a ginormous five subject spiral given to me by Rod. I use the spiral for little blurbs of inspiration, when I can find them. If I lost that notebook, I would be in deep trouble indeed.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
RodwenAravilui5136 said:Yeah. That's true. I've basically given up on writing until I feel the urge to do it again. It only works when that happens.

I TOTALLY agree with that sister!!! :/
"A sprinter learning to wait."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I was reading a book about writing a friend got me, about writing, and it said that the only way to get through a block is to...*drumroll* write!!! Just...power...through!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I think that can work for some people, but I'm with Rod and Ethelynn, if I have writer's block, I don't write at all until I feel like writing. At that point nothing stops me and I write and write. Usually if I try to "power through" I just get frustrated and nothing happens. But, everyone's different and we all have different styles, which I think is awesome. How boring would life be if we were all the same? lol!

And, writing is my hobby, so I pretty much just write whenever I want to. If I made myself write, I would hate it.

[Edited on 02/24/2014 by rhodilwen]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well, for me, I mwant to be a Creative Writing major with a double minor in English Lit. and Linguistics, so, writing will one day be my full time job. I need to learn how to do it like a job- which means that if I am upset, I need to learn how to write an article or chapter that isn't full of angst. If Im happy, but writing a sad chapter, I need to maintain the mood on the paper.

So for me, I just push through it, and then edit the bad stuff when Im better. I also plot out where I want the characters to be by a certain point, and then write the ending of that chapter first. Then work backwards. In fact, the longest story I have ever written, the very first thing I wrote was the ending. (I should take a picture of the original 3rd grade math composition book I wrote it in and post it on here.)

Funny thing- since I started working out at the beginning of the month, the ideas flow better and much easier!
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
I've got to say, I'm a major fan of the "power-through".

But that might just be me. A few months ago, I decided to start looking at might writing in a job-style manner. Youknow, like I was doing it for a living.

Oddly enough, I found that I enjoy writing MORE now that I did before. When it was a hobby, it was something I could just toss aside when I got discouraged or bored. It's more fun, the writing sounds better, the editing isn't as hard, and I come up with better stuff.

@Maxie: Ooooh. What kind of linguistics?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I'm a voracious reader, but in no sense a writer. So in that sense I feel silly commenting here.

But I have read a lot about the author in whose honor this site was created. His friend C.S. Lewis called LotR "Like lightning from a clear sky ...". A severe critic of LotR had (earlier, I believe) given a definition of a writer. No one before or since has ever fulfilled this definition better, but that critic was totally oblivious to the fact that he had basically shot himself in the foot with naval artillery (think 15 or 16 inch guns).

Don't pay too much attention to what your teachers or (much worse) potential publishers are likely to drivel on you.
Do pay some attention to what people whose arguments and feelings you respect are saying.
If you're lucky, some people of the first group will also be in the second group.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That is really good advice, Gandolorin! And also, very true.

Michael, I 100% agree with everything you said. Same with me! I am not sure what type of linguistics yet, but I love French, and I also like the way that Latin sounds, and how English was derived from it. I have a few years still, so we will see what happens.

I am hoping for a first job in the field of writing. But making coffee will do just fine, too.
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
I love languages, particularly the etymology. I did a great deal of research on languages when I built Temen Loras, the language of the land in my book.

I'm not going to go to college, but if I did, it would be for linguistics.

Oh, cool! What kind of writing job?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
For a local newspaper or a town one. I am not sure if they would take me with limited professional experience, however.
MirielOfGisborne
Council Member
Send Message
*tentatively walks into the writers' bar* Newbie here, so greetings to everyone.

If I may join the discussion, I am on Wattpad and it looks like a promising place to share work and get feedback. I haven't yet managed to take full advantage of it and network much, but it looks like it's worth a try if you want to get yourself out there.

I'm glad several of you mentioned that you get ideas while you're in bed. It happens to me too and I thought I was weird. Thanks, I really feel better about it now.

rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome, Miriel!! What do you like to write?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Haha, we writers are a strange bunch.

If anyone would care to look me up on Wattpad, by "bbok" is entitled Nine. I have been having someone type it up on behalf of me.
MirielOfGisborne
Council Member
Send Message
Strange, but fascinating. I can't seem to find you on Wattpad, findemaxam48. Can you give a link to your profile?

rhodilwen said:Welcome, Miriel!! What do you like to write?

Thank you! I am just finding my writing legs, to be honest, but I am definitely drawn to stories that carry an emotional punch. If I can also give the reader something to think about, I'm more than satisfied. So, I suppose I like to write fantasy-based drama and romance.

Right now I'm developing a fan fiction series around an alternate ending and continuation for "The Hobbit", focusing on a growing relationship between Thorin and Bilbo. Yes, it falls under the label slash, but I really am trying to do more than that. I see it as a way to hone my writing skills. I have a story here on CoE and I might upload another, but I don't know how much real interest there is for that kind of story.

[Edited on 03/02/2014 by MirielOfGisborne]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im going to read it now! Hold on...oh, you have a link!
Michael Gunter
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, Maxie, I'm on Wattpad now!
<< First7891011Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email