Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post No blue blades?
on: March 20, 2013 11:59
Sting of course glows blue in both LotR and The Hobbit but I was disappointed to see that they didn't correct the Glamdring-not-glowing-blue problem from the trilogy and also Orcrist didn't glow either. Unless they glowed blue and I just didn't notice?
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: No blue blades?
on: March 21, 2013 12:02
Yeah I noticed too. But honestly it would be sort of annoying if all Elvish blades in the movie glowed. It would look like freaking Star Wars lol. And it would take away from the uniqueness of Sting.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2013 12:09
I don't know that all elvish blades were supposed to glow, I think it was just the ones made in Gondolin, but you're right it probably would take away from the uniqueness of Sting.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 21, 2013 05:14
I think just the blades from Gondolin are supposed to glow. so Sting, Beater and Biter. But I think PJ probably just had sting glow instead of all 3 because it made it easier to explain for non-LOTR familiar audiences.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2013 09:15
In The Hobbit, the blade Orcrist glows blue just as the Orcs attack the Company right before they find the hidden passage to Rivendell.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2013 01:28
Ah okay I was under the impression that most Elvish blades glowed. So only Gondolin blades then. That makes more sense.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2013 08:04
I have not seen Gandlalf's sword glow. I agree with what you said about it looking like Star Wars if all the blades turned blue. Yes, I believe it is only the Gondolin blades made by High Elves that glowed.
I have seen Orcrist turn blue only once but I will pay better attention the next time I watch The Hobbit which will probably be later on this day.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2013 09:48
I noticed today that Orcrist also glows blue after Gandalf kills the Goblin King.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 09:56
Hmm, I will have to do some study, but I was under the impression that only the blades made during a certain time (I think it was during a fierce war with the orcs or something), glowed when they were near. Because it would be kinda pointless to make swords that glow when orcs are near if no one had seen one for a long time. Cause up till the point of the trilogy, (if I recall correctly,) there had not been a big war with the orcs for a while. At least not enough to make enemy specify blades, if you know what I mean
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 10:12
I guess I don't understand what you mean Leoflic. It's stated in the Hobbit that all three swords would gleam or shine when orcs were near. And all three came from Gondolin where they were made.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 02:46
I just rewatched the Orc chase outside of Rivendell, and Orcrist doesn't glow, despite being in close contact with Orcs. Also, I rewatched the Goblin Town scene and Orcrist never glowed. And finally, in the battle with Azog where it would be most obvious, it still didn't glow. I think this is just an inconsistency on Peter Jackson's part that we'll have to live with. I'd rather he go back and make Glamdring glow in the LOTR and release a new version than not have Glamdring and Orcrist glow in The Hobbit. (Plus then they could replace Ian Holm's scene of finding the Ring in the prologue with one of Martin Freeman, and remove the stupid scene where the Witch King broke Gandalf's staff.)
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 08:00
I must concede that after watching the scene before the cave to Rivendell, that I did not see Orcrist glow blue. However, now I have noticed that Glamdring has a blue tone right before Gandalf slashes the Goblin King's stomach and following that, Thorin Oakenshield holds Orcrist and it is glowing blue. Do not expect it to look like Sting...it is a mere flash and if you blink, you will miss it. Try watching it in slow motion.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 05:09
I noticed that too, but I think it's just the reflection of the light or something.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2013 07:05
I watched The Hobbit with a friend yesterday and mentioned the discussion about the blue blades. I made it clear that Sting was not the issue. My friend made a sort of noise when the Goblin King got slashed but totally jumped off the chair yelling, "Blue! Blue!" when Thorin raised Orcrist after Gandalf killed the Goblin King.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 05:07
Here, I have solved the mystery. I played back the movie in slow motion several times to get the best screen caps I could, so here you go. All of these images come from the Goblin Town scenes.

NOTE: The image is automatically scaled down to fit the page. Click on it to view it full-sized.

PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I think it would be kind of cool is all the elven blades glowed. Its true that sting looks epic when its glowing. Its like Iv got elven magic BOOM cut your head off. What you gonna do? LOL
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The reason Glamdring didn't glow in this movie or LOTR is told by Philippa Boyens. They ran out of blue.

In the book it says that Sting 'shone with delight' when Bilbo was killing the spiders. I wonder...
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
SERIOUSLY? they ran out of blue? and I thought the film was high budget...
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:The reason Glamdring didn't glow in this movie or LOTR is told by Philippa Boyens. They ran out of blue.

She may have been kidding. I agree with all who said with all the glowing swords it would look like Star Wars. I did wonder while watching the film, but I never made an issue of it.

[Edited on 05/22/2013 by Nevaratoiel]
~Nev~
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Yeah, sorry PSK, it was on the commentary track (well worth listening to). They completely forgot to make Glamdring glow and that was their excuse. They ran out of digital blue.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Here's to hoping they fix it on the 6-pack deluxe edition that is sure to come out. Though I wouldn't mind if they re-filmed the opening of The Fellowship of the Ring with Martin Freeman, or recut the existing footage of "Riddles in the Dark" to go there. It's a little jarring seeing a "young" Ian Holm in Fellowship and Martin Freeman in An Unexpected Journey.

#unlikely #georgelucas
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
I think they should keep FotR just the way it is. I don't think it's jarring at all. I don't see the point really. Lord of the Rings was made before The Hobbit and even though the actors are different I think they're fine the way they are. Just the same as the Gondolin swords not glowing.....
~Nev~
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Well the Gondolin swords thing was a mistake on the film makers' part. That wasn't an artistic decision. I know why Bilbo is old in Fellowship, but I don't think it'd be a bad change. It'd just be updating the old movies with the "actual" appearance of Bilbo when he found the Ring. It would be correcting for consistency, not changing just because.

I also wouldn't mind them redoing Gollum in Fellowship because that is the only movie where he wasn't played by Andy Serkis. He looks very different and could use a touch-up.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email