Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post Recipe Sharing
on: March 26, 2013 01:36
Anyone else enjoy cooking? I thought if you had a favorite recipe you could share it here. I tend not to like meat so all of my recipes are veggie friendly. Personally one of my favorite meals to make is chile-roasted feta cheese on a watermelon slab.

4 evenly sized rectangles of feta cheese
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp chile flakes
Bunch of cilantro sprouts or leaves
Bunch of shiso sprouts (optional)
1 cup mizuna or baby lettuce leaves
3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
4 pieces watermelon, cut into slightly larger rectangles than the feta and ½ inch high chilled
Olive oil for drizzling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut a large piece of foil and put it on a baking sheet. Place each piece of feta on top, drizzle each piece with olive oil and sprinkle a few chile flakes. Put another piece of foil on top and fold the foil edges together to form a loose parcel. Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes, by which time the feta will be soft and warm. Remove from the oven and assemble immediately: Snip the cilantro and shiso sprouts (if using) and mix with the baby lettuce and pine nuts (if using). Open the foil parcel and place the roasted feta on top of the watermelon salad. Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Recipe Sharing
on: March 26, 2013 02:42
Sounds interesting...I just might try it sometime.

Anyway, yes, I do enjoy cooking. Is it alright to share dessert recipes?
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 02:54
Sure, anything you like.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 02:54
please dessert recipes! please dessert recipes!! lol!!! I love to cook too, but I don't know what my favorite recipe is. I'm currently is poor college kid cook mode so I don't get to experiment alot. But I'll try and find some of my personal favorites to post. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 03:00
Here's a simple, yet extremely yummy dessert. It's cheap to make too!

Peanut Butter Quickies

Oven: 350

(This is a double batch because it's what I always make.)

One 18 OZ jar of peanut butter
Two c. sugar
Two eggs
Two tsp. vanilla
Two c. oatmeal (optional)
sugar (optional)

Put everything in a bowl and mix well. Shape into balls. Place on cookie sheet.
Optional: Get a plate and pour some sugar onto it. Get a fork and in sugar. Then get your fork and squish an X shape onto your cookies.

Place into oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.

Cool and eat.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 07:11
I'm decent with cooking, but quoting my siblings 'you can't cook' so I don't often cook. Here's two recipes that I enjoy.

Energy Balls
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flax-seed
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all together and make into small balls. Put in refrigerator to chill. You can add peanuts, cinnamon, and coconut if desired. So tasty, also I use semi-sweet chocolate chips according to one of my siblings who are also a health nut this is a healthy snack.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 07:18
Now for desert....

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup water
1 cup whipping cream
4 oz semisweet chocolate, melted
Cookie crust (I buy mine from the store just makes it easier)

Preparation:
1) Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
2) Beat in yolks, one at a time until well-blended.
3) Combine gelatin and water in small saucepan over low heat. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Cool slightly.
4) Beat gelatin mixture into batter.
5) Combine 3/4 cup batter and melted chocolate.
6) Whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold one-half of whipped cream into chocolate batter and remaining half into vanilla batter.
7) With large spoon, alternately place spoonfuls of chocolate and vanilla batters into crust until all batter is used.
With small spatula or knife, swirl batter to form marble pattern.
9) Chill for at least 3 hours.

'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 10:59
Healthier verson of the cookie bar.

1 cup unbleached white flour (or all purpose if you use that)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup brown sugar, I prefer dark brown
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
2 eggs
carob chips or chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients, melt butter, add eggs and butter and mix thoroughly. Add carob chips or chocolate chips, more or less depending on what you prefer. Press evenly in a 9x13 baking dish and bake @ 350 for about 20 minutes. Do check after 10 or so, just to make sure your oven isn't much faster than mine.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 12:43
Home made chocolate icing! i use this recipe all the time. i love it so much! very yummy and healthy! (er )

3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk

put all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. mix well (if it is too thick, put a little more milk in)

enjoy!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 06:32
There is also tons of recipes in the Last Homely House from people around the world. Lots of great ones in there!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 02:09

Here's an awesome cake recipe. It is soooo good!

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped dates
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, divided
1-1/2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

Place dates and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool completely.
In another large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and remaining baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture.
Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with chocolate chips and nuts.
Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 07:23
I like the Recipe Box in Last Homely House! That's where I found a great Lembas Recipe...and I want to try the recipe for Rabbit...
Taug anin ú-daug.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 08:25
Ooooh a recipe thread! Here's one of our family favorites that is RIDICULOUSLY quick and simple, but everyone LOVES it. It's called Bark, or if you want a more official name, "Saltine Cracker Chocolate Brittle." Here's how it goes:

INGREDIENTS:
-About 48 Saltine crackers, maybe more maybe less. Just try to have more than that, just in case.
-2 sticks of butter (it has to be stick butter, substitutes won't work)
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 bag of chocolate chips
-Optional: some ground walnuts if you would like to add nuts at the end

-Preheat your oven to 325
-Layer a cookie sheet with one layer of the saltine crackers, so that the bottom of the cookie sheet is covered. They can overlap a bit, as long as the sheet is covered.
-In the microwave, melt 2 sticks of butter and a cup of brown sugar. Mix the mixture. It won't mix completely because the brown sugar sinks to the bottom, and that's ok.
-Pour that mixture evenly over the sheet of saltine crackers, getting as many of the crackers covered as possible. Don't spread it around, though. The heat of the oven will take care of that.
-Put the cookie sheet in the oven for 15 minutes at 325.
-Pull the sheet out of the oven, and turn the oven off. Pour the whole bag of chocolate chips evenly over the top of the crackers.
-Put the sheet back into the oven. Yes, the oven's off. That's ok. We're just using the leftover heat to melt those chocolate chips.
-After 5 minutes in the oven, pull out the cookie sheet.
-Use a spatula to smear the melted chocolate chips on the crackers as evenly as you can. It's ok if it's not on every cracker. They still taste really good.
-Optional: sprinkle ground walnuts on top if you like nuts.
-Let it cool, or put it in the freezer to speed it up, until the chocolate is hardened.
-Break into pieces with knife. Enjoy!!!
If you guys ever make this, let me know how it came out!
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2013 05:09
Yeah guys! Try the bark! It's awesome! I'll post my all-time favorite: Chicken Finger Dip!!!
INGREDIENTS-
1 Block Cream Cheese
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Hot Sauce (desired amount)
Ranch (desired amount)
z Can of Chicken
STEPS-
1) Use a circular glass pie pan that is about 3 inches deep. Put the sour cream block and can of chicken (I suggest you open the can first) into the pot and mix with a fork until all of the chicken is evenly dispersed.
2) Pour the desired amount of ranch and hot sauce on top of the chicken and cream cheese mixture. Their has to be enough for a the thin layer of liquids to completely cover the top. Some people choose to mix everything together before putting the shredded cheese on top. It's up to you.
3) Sprinkle a layer of cheddar cheese on top and place into microwave. NOT oven because I can't tell you how long it would take. Unless you want to find out for yourself....
4) Microwave for 2minutes or until the entire dip is warm. Make sure the middle of the bottom of the pan is warm and the cheese is melted before you take it out of the microwave.
5) Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
****This is a big hit for large parties.****

"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 01:19
Southwest Cheese Soup

1 loaf prepared cheese product, cut into cubes
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 cup milk
Fresh cilantro sprigs if desired

In 4-quart saucepan, mix all ingredients except cilantro.
Cook over medium-low heat 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted and soup is hot. Garnish each serving with cilantro.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 06:34
What size cheese loaf? I see them in 2 sizes at my local store. I really like soup so I will try this one.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 03:57
I usually get the 32 oz Kraft Velveeta block and use about half of it for one pot. You don't have to have that big of a block though, or that brand.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 10:07
Yum. All of these recipes sound amazing!
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 01:40
Rodwen!!!!! I was gonna post the chicken finger dip recipe!!!!!!!!.....fine....
Lembas Bread:
1/2 cup of shortening
1/3 cup of sugar
whatever amount of cinnamon youd like
same goes for nutmeg
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients, then form into a circle and pour in milk. Mix with hands, then roll out dough. Cut into triangles and bake. After they come out of the oven, sprinkle powdered sugar on them. Wrap in leaves (just kidding!!!!!) and serve!
Theres a recipe similar to this in the Recipe section of this site.

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I make this a lot and have it for breakfast or a snack.

Olive Bread
3 cups plain flour
7 grams sachet dry yeast
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
110 grams kalamata olives, pitted, halved
2 tsp plain flour, extra to coat
1 small spring fresh oregano leaves torn into small pieces
Olive oil to glaze

Place a third of the flour in a large bowl and stir in 1 tsp salt. Place the yeast, sugar and 1 cup warm water in a small bowl and stir well. Set aside in a warm draught-free palce for 10 minutes until frothy. If not bubbling the yeast is dead and start over. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and salt in the bowl and stir to make a thin, lumpy paste. Cover with a tea towel ad set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour and oil and ½ cup warm water. Mix with wooden spoon until a rough doug forms. Knead on a lightly floured work space for 10-12 minutes. Form into a ball oil a clean large bowl wit ha tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour.
Lightly greas a baking tray and dust with flour. Punch down the dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 12x10x1/2 inches. Squeeze out and excess liquid from the olives and coat in extra flour. Scatter over the dough and top with oregano. Roll up tightly lengthways, pressing firmly to expell any air pockets as you roll. Press ends together to form an oval 10 inches long. Transfer to tray join-side down. Make 3 shallow diagonal slashes along the top. Place bread (or tray) in plastic bag and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 425 F and brush top of loaf with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for another 5 minutes. Cook on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.

[Edited on 06/18/2013 by starofdunedain]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
All of these sound so wonderfully amazing! I recently began a recipe binder, so some of these (actually, kind of looks like all of them) will be added into it.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Zuppa Toscana & Stuffed Capsicum (Bell Pepper)
on: October 26, 2013 06:55
You all are making me hungry! Here are a couple I enjoy. This first one requires a slow cooker...

Zuppa Toscana

• 1 lb. (454g) Italian sausages (½ kg will be fine)
  • 4-6 russet potatoes, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • ¼ cup. fresh-cooked bacon broken into pieces
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
  • 32 oz. (946ml) chicken broth
  • 1 cup. kale or Swiss chard, chopped
  • 1 cup. heavy whipping cream
  • 2 Tbsp flour

1. Brown sausage links in a sauté pan.
2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices.
3. Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
4. Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.

30 minutes before serving:
5. Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
6. Add cream and kale to the crock-pot, stir.
7. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
8. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Stuffed Capsicum (Bell Pepper)

(Basic Stuff)
What you need:

• 4 large capsicums (any colours)
  • 300 g mild Italian sausages
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
  • 1½ cups (285 g) cooked brown rice
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • ½ cup (60 g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese

Optionals:

• 1½ cups (375 ml) tomato passata, warmed (for a mild fill)
  • 4 Tablespoons Taco Sauce, warmed (for spicier, add to above)
  • fresh crumbed bacon (mix with sausage while cooking it)
  • Crushed Garlic Clove
  • chopped onion
  • Lemon or lime zest (grated rind)
  • Basil
  • Fennel

Try with none, some, or all of the optionals, and/or add your own flavours! You can use pretty much anything you want really.

Preparation (15 minutes approx) & Cooking (40 minutes approx)

• 1. Cut capsicums in half through the stem end. Scrape out membranes and seeds. Steam capsicums for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Finely chop usable part of capsicum tops.
  • 2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Take sausage meat out of casings. If you're adding bacon, chop it into rough 1cm bits and cook in pan. When its nearly done, crumble sausage into pan. Add chopped capsicum tops and oregano. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add rice, carrot and cheese.
  • 3. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F. Place capsicums in 23 cm-square baking dish. Using a small spoon, fill each capsicum with cooked mixture. Cover with aluminium foil.
  • 4. Bake until capsicums are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with tomato passata/taco sauce if desired.

[Edited on 10/27/2013 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Home made potatoes au grautin

About 1 pound of medium potatoes (4 or so) or 5-6 large potatoes (russet work fine, but any will do)
about 1 pound of grated cheddar cheese
bacon crumbles (about 1 cup)
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning
rubbed sage
Quart size baking dish (you want it about 4 inches high for multiple layers)

preheat over to 350 degrees F while preparing (takes approximately 30-45 minutes to prepare and about an hour to hour and a half to cook)

Thinly slice potatoes after washing them thoroughly and peeling them. Either spray cooking oil like PAM or put a thin coating of butter or butter substitute on the bottom and sides.

Place a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom, then sprinkle spices over this. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the spices, then cover these with the cheese. Repeat until you come to the top of the dish. Finish with a goodly layer of the cheese.

Place in the oven and set the timer for 1 hr. Check to see if the top is bubbly and crusty. If not, then set the timer in increments of 15 minutes. Voila! It will be hard around the edges with baked cheese so use a metal spatula or large spoon to scoop it out onto the plates. It will be hot, but oh so yummy!

Recipe from my mother back in the 50's & 60's.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
That looks good! I made one similar to this, except I used slightly-cooked & crumbled Italian sausage and my own mix of herb seasoning.

(350°F is approximately 175°C in ROW. I should add the Fahrenheit to my recipe)
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Sounds good and yes, it can be varied with whatever meat & spices one favors.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Or gas mark 5 in the UK.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mm, everything sounds good! Im so hungry!!

Breakfast Bake

What you need:

-A bag of frozen hash browns, or you can get fresh potatoes, about nine, and slice them all into really tiny slices.
- One bag of shredded cheddar cheese, or two blocks of it if you prefer to shred it yourself
-One thing of bacon
-One hamsteak (the ham and bacon are highly recommended, but you dont need them)
-One 16 oz container of sour cream
-Three eggs
-a half cup of milk

In a large bowl, combine the shredded potatoes and cheese. Fry up the ham and bacon if you want them in there, cut into bite sized peices, and mix them in with the potatoes and cheese. Toss well until they are all blended, them pour into a non-greased 9X13 glass baking pan.
In a small bowl, mix the eggs, sour cream, and milk until blended, then pour the mixture over the potato mix. Set oven to 350, bake for 30 minutes, then check by inserting knife or toothpick in the center. If it does not come out clen, add five minutes to the baking time until it's done. Let cool, then enjoy! It's delicious!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Beef and Chorizo Tacos
on: August 06, 2016 11:50
Been some time since I posted my food bling here. I really seem to have a thing for the Southwest Texican and MexiCal food. In Middle Earth terms, I would think it maybe be Khand/North Haradian food? I digress...

Here is a nice taco recipe:

Beef & Chorizo Tacos

(This is for 6 to 8 tacos, so for smaller serving of 3-4, half the amounts)

Ingredients:

• ~ Good quality hard taco shells, or tortillas for soft tacos
  • ~ 2Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • ~ 500g (1Lb) good quality rump steak, thinly sliced
  • ~ 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • ~ 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • ~ 100g (¼ Lb) of diced bacon or pancetta
  • ~ 250g (½Lb) Chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
  • ~ 1 Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper) thinly sliced
  • ~ 2 Green Chillies (Sweet for Mild, Jalapeno for heat)
  • ~ 3 Tomatoes, diced
  • ~ ¼ cup of Continental Parsley leaves
  • ~ Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in frying pan with medium/high heat.
Add the beef and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until browned. Do this in two batches if necessary
Remove and set aside.

Now heat the 2nd Tablespoon of olive oil in the beef-juice pan.
Add onion and cook for 30 seconds before adding the garlic. cook for another 2-3 minutes or until softened.
Add the bacon, chorizo,capsicum,and chilli and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoand stir in well, reducing heat to simmer.
Stir in the cooked beef strips and let simmer for a few minutes.

While this simmers, heat up the taco shells or tortillias and get ready to serve!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Sounds absolutely delicious!
7hot_feanorians
Council Member
Send Message
Oh my how have I missed this thread?

I can honestly say I adore cooking! (after drawing of course) Lot's of great sounding recipes to try in here folks!

I would like to share my easy "Gondorian" bread with y'all since it's amazingly yummy, as well as a piece of cake to make. (And it goes well with Italian tortellini soup if you wish to know.)

Ingredients:
3 Cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 Cups warm water

Directions:
In a bowl, stir the flour, salt, yeast and water until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set at room temperature for 8-24 hours. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and form into a ball. Rest dough for 30 minutes. In the meantime, place baking dish with high sides (I use my crock pot/slow cooker dish) into the oven and preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Slash and "X" shape on top of bread dough, carefully transfer into baking dish and cover. Bake for 30 minutes, uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes more until golden brown. Cool before slicing (unless you're an uncivilized heathen like me and just start tearing it apart and eating right then and there! Haha!)

In short: combine ingredients, let sit for 8 hours, form into ball and rest for 30 min, throw into oven for 30 minutes. It'll be crunchy on the outside, so soft and yummy on the inside!

Here's the original blog that I got it from if anyone would rather look there. http://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/2016/02/12/homemade-artisan-bread-easiest-bread-recipe-ever.html
Give me a horse and watch me fly!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Stuffed Capsicum (Bell Peppers)
on: September 16, 2016 08:23
This really turned out good! I made it a bit different this time though as I added about 200 grams of fresh cooked chorizo sausage meat to the stuffing mix.

Stuffed Capsicum (Bell Pepper)

(Basic Recipe)
What you need:

• 4 large capsicums (any colours)
  • 300 g mild Italian sausages
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
  • 1½ cups (285 g) cooked brown rice
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • ½ cup (60 g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese

Optionals:

• 1½ cups (375 ml) tomato passata, warmed (for a mild fill)
  • 4 Tablespoons Taco Sauce, warmed (for spicier, add to above)
  • fresh crumbed bacon (mix with sausage while cooking it)
  • Crushed Garlic Clove
  • chopped onion
  • Lemon or lime zest (grated rind)
  • Basil
  • Fennel

Try with none, some, or all of the optionals, and/or add your own flavours! You can use pretty much anything you want really.

Preparation (15 minutes approx) & Cooking (40 minutes approx)

• 1. Cut capsicums in half through the stem end. Scrape out membranes and seeds. Steam capsicums for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Finely chop usable part of capsicum tops.
  • 2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Take sausage meat out of casings. If you're adding bacon, chop it into rough 1cm bits and cook in pan. When its nearly done, crumble sausage into pan. Add chopped capsicum tops and oregano. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add rice, carrot and cheese.
  • 3. Preheat oven to 190°C. Place capsicums in 23 cm-square baking dish. Using a small spoon, fill each capsicum with cooked mixture. Cover with aluminium foil.
  • 4. Bake until capsicums are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with tomato passata/taco sauce if desired.
[*]
7hot_feanorians
Council Member
Send Message
Mmmm! That was a great recipe Arveleg! Have y'all ever tried Cream cheese in roasted bell peppers? I had the opportunity to try it recently and it's quite yummy!
Give me a horse and watch me fly!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Today I picked some quinces hanging over someone's fence. That's legal isn't it? I haven't decided what to do with them. They were all the rage in the 17thC. This site gives lots of recipes. I might try the quiddany, although I like the idea of quince marmalade.
Historic Food
BelleBayard
Send Message
Just tried a great recipe off Food.com. Brussels Sprouts in Garlic Butter:

15 Brussell=s sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 tablespoons butter (or alternative such as Smart Choice, I Can't Believe it's not butter, etc.)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed with flat of a knife (or you can use 3 tbsp minced garlic)
freshly grated parmesan (or the bottled grated parmesan)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter and olive oil in medium skillet over medium hight heat until butter (or alternative) foamy

2. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and cook until lightly brown

3. Optional if using smashed vs minced - remove garlic and discard (I left the minced in the pan)

4. Add sprots cut side down, cover, and cook withou stirring on medium-low heat 10-16 minutes or until tender when pierced. I found 10 minutes adequate for moderate sized sprouts

5. The cut side of the sprouts should get nice and browned, with a nutte, buttery flavor enhanced by garlic.

6. Top with freshly grated parmesan and salt and pepper to taste (I didn't think it required the latter two with the way they're cooked and with the parmesan).

Enjoy! Nice and flavorful way to cook these without the bitterness that boiling will sometimes give. Easy, too.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
7hot_feanorians said:Mmmm! That was a great recipe Arveleg! Have y'all ever tried Cream cheese in roasted bell peppers? I had the opportunity to try it recently and it's quite yummy!
I have used cream cheese, and Brie... I like to mix it up some.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email