Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Post Did LOTR help you find your best friend, or even your (future) spouse?
on: May 16, 2013 04:52
Just mildly curious here. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever meet someone in real life who is as crazy about it as I am.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Such an interesting question, LegolasXXXXX. My answer to that is "yes!" Someone I have known for a quite a while took me to see The Hobbit and did not mind that I dressed up. He liked my Elvish ears...lol. I gave him a copy of The Hobbit which he read and enjoyed. We have watched all 3 LotR movies once and The Hobbit at least 4 times and he is starting to quote it. He calls me "Lindarielwen." Perhaps I have found my very own "Aragorn." So, absolutely yes, you might find someone in real life who is as crazy about LotR as you are!!!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, I must say, you are very lucky. You wore elf ears to The Hobbit? That's awesome! Yep, someday I will find someone who likes LOTR as much as I do...or at least close to it lol.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I wear my Elf ears a lot when I go out, just for fun.

A person you meet might not even know about LotR. It will be up to you, then, to put her/him on the right path...lol

If someone likes you, they will want to share your interests, as you must with them.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, I will endure all those future shopping trips xD
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
And she'll have to endure all those future trips to the place where you get your knives...lol.

I also think that it is quite possible. My future spouse must love LotR, at least somewhat.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
My future wife must either love Tolkien or be very patient. Haha.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Well, it has been seven months since my last post here and the guy still calls me Lindarielwen. He got me glue for my pointy ears, and wants to know which dress I will be wearing when we see Smaug this weekend. For my birthday, he managed to find me a LotR unopened deluxe horse and rider set featuring Arwen, Frodo, and Asfaloth. And this is the guy that lets me braid his hair!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I essentially met my husband through Lord of the Rings Online, so in answer to the thread question - yes!

I was seeing a mutual friend in the south of England, and as we worked in IT, we had an online gaming group, and one of the games was LoTRO. Four months later we met up, two months later I moved 500 miles across the country to live with him.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
One of my best friends got me to like LOTR when I was little and we've been friensd for a looonngggg time. Does that count?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Several years ago and through another site, I met someone I now consider my best friend - brilliant, witty, bookish, nice. We share a love for hobbits and have had conversations via e-mails every day for years. I have tentative plans to meet them in person for the first time next year.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Well, sometimes Fate brings you a surprise. There was someone in my life many many years ago. Circumstances caused us to part.

Several months ago...October 3, 2014, to be exact...I was here on the Council when someone chatted me. It was concerning the usual inquiry...languages. I could offer no assistance and directed the person to the language forums. But we kept talking. We strayed from talking about Lord of the Rings and began to talk about the stars and the universe and other philosophical matters.

We asked the standard questions about age and gender. He told me I reminded him of someone he knew long ago. We kept talking and suddenly realized that we found each other again! We laughed, we cried, we sang, we danced!

Just one more reason to love the Council of Elrond!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen, such a happy story! How incredible! Thank you for sharing it!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
That is a beautiful story, Lindarielwen.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
curka
Council Member
Send Message
I couldn't have said it better Lindarielwen.
The divine in me acknowledges the divine in you.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
"Did LOTR help you find your best friend, or even your (future) spouse?"

In a word, yes. Met my wife on another Tolkien message board in September 2001 in an RP story. We started communicating via email (anyone remember email?) talking about the story we were involved in, then started using MSN messenger (anyone remember that?) We became friends but didn't 'get together' at that time. I in the mean time met, dated and broke up with another person I met on the same message board. After that, my friend and future wife said she was coming to the USA to see Return of the King at a "Trilogy Tuesday" showing, and we met in person for the first time in December 2003. We had fun with some crude costumes, and had a good time. We didn't get serious though until a couple years later.

A whole chain of events happened and we were married in July 2008. I'm as happy as ever living life with my soul-mate who is as big a Tolkien nut as I am!

[Edited on 01/23/2015 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Fate sure has a way of throwing you a curve when you least expect it. The guy I referred to in my above post is just a friend now. The romance has certainly ended.

I wrote this on another thread...

I love the smell of his shirts...he hangs them out to dry.
I love the taste of his cooking...oh, a man who can cook.
I love the feel of my hand in his...he likes to hold hands.
I love the sound of his voice...when he says my name.
I love the look of happiness on his face...when I answer the door.

I wrote that in July of 2013 and it was about the guy who let me braid his hair.

He is still in my life
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Who knows? I met my hubby in 1972 and we didn't marry till 1982. Been together ever since. Was a good friend before we took it to the next step and it was me who held off for 10 years. When the time and the person is right, you'll know.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
No, for a simple reason.
We met on 31 December 1981. Much has happened, but we are together, married.
My first contacts with LoTR were in 1983 ...
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Most of my university friends I have gotten closer to, due to them liking LotR, but none are as crazy about it as me, though I have two friends who I can talk about 'The Sil' Elves and they know what I'm talking about, which is nice

However, I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years, and he likes Tolkien's works but doesn't understand my love for it. He did agree to my having a map of Middle Earth on the wall, and a poster of the White Council... and that I dress up as Frodo/Pippin for Comic Con. And that I can write in Sindarin... The list goes on!
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Was just looking through this thread again while chilling on my cot at Fort Polk, and still haven't met anyone off the internet that is as crazy about it as I am, but holding out hope lol.

Btw that doesn't mean I don't deeply appreciate the people I've met on here, and the few I've developed closer relationships with. Some of you hold a special place where my heart is (?), or should be

You know who you are.

[Edited on 07/12/2016 by LegolasXXXXX]
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Some of my best friends are ones I met through CoE. I have been able to meet Aerena100 and findemaxam48 in real life along with some of their friends/relatives. It's wonderful how LotR and CoE can bring people together like that.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I just re-read Lindarielwen's posts here in her memory. Rest in Paace. May your wait in the Halls of Mandos be bright and beautiful!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email