Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Favorite types of music???
on: June 04, 2013 11:27
What types of music do you like? Rock,classic, dubstep, country??? I love legit EVERY type of music so I'd love to talk about it Let me know

[Edited on 06/04/2013 by EthelynnGreenleaf]
"A sprinter learning to wait."
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
My personality kinda describes my fav. music types. I like to listen to pop, rock, and dub step when I'm happy. When I'm sad, I listen to country and, you know, like slow sentimental music. But I cannot listen to happy music when I'm sad or it will make me even more sad. I don't know why. It just cannot cheer me up. When I'm sad, I want to sleep in my sad music and it makes me feel better. More secure. Anyone else relate?
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I can relate. I definitely need to listen to music that matches what I feel or it makes it worse.
My two main favorites are heavy metal and classical. But I also like electronic, dnb, and some non-english pop groups. My playlists are so varied I can't just like one genre.
I really like Juno Reactor who I think are a genre of their own.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Me too! I love when Irish and British people sing and they have that little accent on certain words! When I sing it I have to pronounce the words like they do. Lol!
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I get a headache when I listen to dubstep, rock, etc. (no offense meant, guys). The only time I accidentally listen to that type of music is when I'm in a store that's playing it.

I'm sorta the same way with the music-mood thingy. Although when I'm annoyed I generally would rather it be quiet then listening to music. But I like non-contemporary Christen artist such as Ron Hamilton, Steve Pettit, and The Wilds. I also like some classical music, like The Nutcracker. And I enjoy listening to some Disney music, some movie soundtracks, and that's about all I can think of right now.

[Edited on 06/06/2013 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth_Ravenlock, have you ever had It's a Small World stuck in your head?

I like rock, it gets me moving. I just started listening to country but some of the songs are way too sad. I like Yanni and John Tesh (piano) and some classical.

[Edited on 06/07/2013 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Maybe...I don't really listen to it though. I have had other incredibly annoying songs in my head...like my sister and I walked into a clothes store call Cato yesterday, and one of the songs that played was stuck in my head for awhile afterwards. It was "Hey there Delilah"...a nasty song if you ask me. Bleh.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
It would be nice if a song we liked got stuck in our head but it is always some song that is annoying or one that we really dislike. And how do you get rid of the song stuck in your head? I have tried singing a song I like or listening to something I like but it does not work.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, I love listening to classical music on a good day, but Dub-Step has been my new favorite! It's so awesome how the artist can make all the different sounds fit into one bassy beat! And no offense guys, but HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE DUB-STEP!?!?!? If you've never listened to Skrillex before, you HAVE to. It is better than any modern dub-step you will ever hear!!
As for getting a song stuck in my head...that is one of the worst things that can happen to me!I try to sing another song and it just gets back to the original one and it gives me a headache. Especially when I can't think of anohter song to sing. Or when you think of a song and it sounds just like anohter one you know so when you get to the corus, you switch songs and you can't think of the real one! Has anyone ever done that? Ug!!! Why can't my psychotic brain be normal for once?! O.O
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Well, last night I had a jumpy song in my head (either that or it was just an annoying song...I can't remember...) just before I went to bed, and since I did not want the other song on my head, I just started thinking of Tale As Old As Time from Beauty and the Beast (one of my most favorite Disney songs ever) and it actually worked to get the other song out of my head. That doesn't always happen though. Like with the song called "Lord of the Dance"...ugh....I DO NOT want to think about that. It was stuck in my head one day, and it stayed stuck in my head ALL. DAY. LONG.

I do sort of the same thing with getting different songs mixed up, Rodwen. Although I usually just start singing (or thinking) the wrong words, not necessarily words from a different song. Quite annoying.

[Edited on 06/08/2013 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am happy to say that a song I like got stuck in my head yesterday. It is called Cruise by Florida Georgia Line.

I love the music from The Lion King, especially Circle of Life.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I LOVE THAT SONG!!!!!!!!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I like hymns, classical, songs from movies, and other such things. But I do not listen to any rock, pop, or things like that.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I listen to Christian rock, but not ANY pop. Except for maybe two Christian bands. I love movie soundtracks, especially LOTR.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
YESS!!! Rock is the BEST!!! Personally, I dont believe there is anything such as Christian music...
I also love soundtracks to Maxi. LOTR and Hunger Games are my favs!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Do you really want to know? OK, from my Excel-File of my music collection:
Allman Brothers Band, Duane Allman, Louis Armstrong, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, The Beatles, Jeff Beck, George Benson, Black Sabbath, Mike Bloomfield, Dave Brubeck, Roy Buchanan, Buffalo Springfield, Eric Burdon, J.J. Cale, Roger Chapman, Eric Clapton, Clark-Hutchinson, Joe Cocker, Ry Cooder, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young), Miles Davis, Paco de Lucia, Deep Purple, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Al Di Meola, Bo Diddley, Dire Straits, The Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Duke Ellington, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, Rory Gallagher, David Garret, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Goodman, Herbie Hancock, George Harrison, Coleman Hawkins, Jimi Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Humble Pie, Iron Butterfly, The J. Geils Band, Mahalia Jackson, Michael Jackson, Elmore James, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Billy Joel, Elton John, Robert Johnson, Janis Joplin, B.B. King, Carole King, The Kinks, Leo Kottke, Lenny Kravitz, Leadbelly, Led Zeppelin, Alvin Lee, John Lennon, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Mahogany Rush, Herbie Mann, Curtis Mayfield, Paul McCartney, John McLaughlin, Wes Montgomery, The Moody Blues, The Mothers of Invention, Mountain, Muddy Waters, Gerry Mulligan, Ted Nugent, Jimmy Page, Christopher Parkening, Charlie Parker, Joe Pass, Alan Parsons, Oscar Peterson, Pink Floyd, Popa Chubby, Procol Harum, Elvis Presley, Bonnie Raitt, Ram Jam, Django Reinhardt, Return to Forever, The Rolling Stones, Carlos Santana, Andrés Segovia, Simon and Garfunkel, Steppenwolf, Cat Stevens, Stephen Stills, Taste, Ten Years After, Three Dog Night, Traffic, Robin Trower, Joe Turner, Tina Turner, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ben Webster, West, Bruce & Laing, The Who, Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Steve Winwood, Bill Withers, Stevie Wonder, Lester Young, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top.

[Edited on 12/11/2013 by Gandolorin]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin, such a wonderful list and all in alphabetical order! Have you seen any of your favourites in concert? I have seen 7 bands you mention. Too bad some of the greats met an untimely end.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Lol Gandolorin, I saw "Miles Davis" and at first I read it "Miley Cyrus" and I almost did a facepalm until I realized that it wasn't. No offense, but Miley Cyrus is wayyy out of line. I will give her credit for being a good singer, though.

As for me, I really like indie stuff as of late. Bands like Imagine Dragons, One Republic, Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters and Men, and Mat Kearney. But I think I'll always be up for Dubstep. It's great motivational music to work out to or to wake you up. My all-time favorites are usually Alternative music, like Switchfoot and Relient K. But I will always love LOTR music. It's how I focus when I have to get stuff done.
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:Gandolorin, such a wonderful list and all in alphabetical order! Have you seen any of your favourites in concert? I have seen 7 bands you mention. Too bad some of the greats met an untimely end.

Well, the alphabetical order derives from my Excel file.
I’ve been to live concerts of Deep Purple (with Mountain as pre-group or whatever one would want to call it), Santana and a “Friday Night at San Francisco” gig with Al De Miola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucia. You have to hear it. What really blows my mind is when they play parallel to each other at blinding speed. All occasions have been in the 1980s, I missed Leo Kottke in the 1970s in college, but I have his live rendition of “Busted Bicycle” on the “My Feet Are Smiling” live LP. Played it to active guitarists, they were not able to decide between two or three guitarists playing. Uh-uh, it was just Leo with a 6-string.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
WOW Gandolorin.. that's A LOT!!!! hahahahahaaa that must have taken you FOREVER to type! But some of those are pretty cool

I probably should listen to some of the ones you said because I've never heard of a lot of them... I like almost ALL music so I'm up for it!!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
OOOPS, double post - the second one is the complete one, so I deleted the text of tis one.

[Edited on 12/13/2013 by Gandolorin]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
EthelynnGreenleaf said:WOW Gandolorin.. that's A LOT!!!! hahahahahaaa that must have taken you FOREVER to type! But some of those are pretty cool

I probably should listen to some of the ones you said because I've never heard of a lot of them... I like almost ALL music so I'm up for it!!

TYPE??? You must be confusing me with people who type professionally. No, no, no; I mentioned that excel file: copy ‘n’ paste, cut ‘n’ paste, otherwise I wouldn’t’ have gotten even halfway through the list. It’s the result of seriously collecting LPs from about the start of college in 1973. CDs didn’t come into the picture until about 15 years later. Some overlap between the two, as I bought some of my favorite LPs as CDs, they are much easier to handle and you can hop back and forth all over the CD. (Um – maybe here there is more need for me to explain the workings of record players? )

I'm not surprised that much of this stuff does not ring a bell, it is heavily loaded towards the 60s and 70s. Most of what followed (Disco, early Rap, Punk Rock, Techno) just had me shrugging my shoulders.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I could not help but laugh at you thinking you might need to explain *record player*. I have one because I have a lot of great old albums, *Are you Experienced* among them. I had to explain VHS to a youngling on here...such fun.

I never liked Disco, Punk or Rap. I do like some Techno, would Trans Siberian Orchestra count? The 80's....well, the 80's gave me Stevie Nicks. She overwhelmes me.(I know she was in Buckingham Nicks and of course Fleetwood Mac, but I mean as a solo artist)

Now, I listen to a lot of country because it has changed a lot over the years. It is a lot more Rock oriented now.

There is a band called *Red* I am learning about. They are called "Christian" but it sure does not sound Christian.

Happy listening!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I could not help but laugh at you thinking you might need to explain *record player*. I have one because I have a lot of great old albums, *Are you Experienced* among them. I had to explain VHS to a youngling on here...such fun.

Well, if I remember the „how old are you“ thread correctly you’re a tad over twenty years younger than I am. But there are not a few CoE members who are twenty years younger than YOU are. To them record players may be some mysterious stuff their parents or grandparents talk about occasionally.
I still remember the first time (late nineties?) when I mentioned a band called “The Beatles” to someone youngish and the reply was “I think my parents listen to them”.

OUCH!

Jimi is represented by 13 LPs in my collection, but fewer than half came out during his lifetime. Some movie soundtracks, some anthologies, and a bit of stuff he recorded, mostly as a sideman for other people, before he became famous.

VHS, mmm – did you go the trouble of explaining the differences to Sony Betamax and Video 2000?

[Edited on 12/14/2013 by Gandolorin]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, how I laughed at Betamax...totally forgot there were 2 kinds of VHS.

Your LP collection sounds wonderful. I think I have a lot but all of mine fit in a crate. The day will come when phonograph needles will no longer be available and then what do we do? I heard that vinyl was coming back but I do not think the younglings will like it...they could not carry a record player around or plug it in their ear. I am not much into technology. All the changes just over the last 10 years is amazing.

Does your record collection have it's own room?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:Oh, how I laughed at Betamax...totally forgot there were 2 kinds of VHS. ...
... The day will come when phonograph needles will no longer be available and then what do we do? ...
... Does your record collection have it's own room?

Video sytems: Umm, actually three, see Video 2000 above. That may have been limited to Europe (Germany?), and was considererd the best of the three.

As for turntable / phonograph needles, I decided to go a bit upmarket when my first turntable gave out after 17 years. This one’s older by now, but with hardly any wear and tear on it (since I bought a CD player – and that’s 25 years old by now), it should be good for some decades more – I’m hoping.

We keep the record collection in the same room as my PCs, most of our books and our files. Except where we need to leave room for the windows and the door, three walls are basically full with shelves, about 2 1/2 for books (mostly) and files. The shelves for the LPs area bit sturdier than those for the books, because LPs are quite heavy. When we moved about 5 ½ years ago, the moving men were quite careful not to put too many LPs in any one of the moving cartons so that they wouldn’t tear.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
It's really funny to look back at the music I used to like. Well, i don't think I ever STOPPED liking certain kinds of music. There's just more/better kinds I like now. Last year I used to REALLY be into dub step. Now, I'm back into my rock stage.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
I like almost literally every kind of music. From classic, to heavy metal, to dubstep...I have a very eclectic taste. But my favorite genre, and thats because I listen to it every single day, is Original Soundtracks...I absolutely love it. Specially the ones from Hans Zimmer. The guy is a genius!
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I prefer to play classical music, listen to live soundtracks when I work out, and that soundtrack is usually Skillet, so it is rock as well, listen to soundtracks when I write, like Pirates and LOTR, and rock any other time. Mostly Christian, but I also like bands like Fall Out Boy and Breaking Benjamin.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
If you like OSTs you should check out the ones from Hans Zimmer. Like I said he is a genius. He did the soundtracks for Inception, The Last Samurai, The Lion King, The Holiday, King Arthur, Man of Steel, and even Pirates of the Caribbean which you like.

And if you like rock as well I'd recommend you check out Cliff Lin [Two of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kvj1RIJ5hA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbKMr_B1ug4 ]. You might like it, they might be good for workouts as well. ^^

This is another kind of music I love. They aren't exaclty made for movies [specifically], but a bunch is used for trailers and stuff. Intrumental rock? I don't know what this genre is. xD Immediate Music and X-Ray Dog are some of my favorite "bands".
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I would call it insturmental rock, as well.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I haven't listened to much of that recently. BUT if you want a GREAT instrumental rock band, it would be Apocalyptica. They're AMAZING!!! It's a cello quartet that takes singer from other bands and they write songs. They're AMAZING!!!!
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah. I like Apocalyptica too. They're really really good.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
YES!!! I LOVE THEM!!!! I wish i could be that good :/ I have been playing for 9 years though.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
I've never heard Apocalyptica...I'll have to look them up!

Imagine Dragons is also pretty awesome, guys

They're my favorite Pandora station!
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email