Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
^^^ I talked about them earlier in the forum!!!

Another really good band I've been into is Marianas Trench. They're unique, I think that's why i like them!
"A sprinter learning to wait."
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
This former Rocker is now totally Country! I love the nice things the songs say. I just listened to a band called Nightwish but I do not know what genre to call that band. They sing a song called Elvenpath. Take a listen to that one. It is really a great song and all about LotR.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Lin, if you like country music, I am going to refer to you a band called Kate and Corey. If you listen to them, report back in here, and I will have something more to tell you.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Listened and liked the way they sing and harmonize together.

I have been enjoying The Band Perry, Kasey Musgraves and Florida Georgia Line.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I love Steve Pettit Evangelistic Team. My brother bought one of their albums recently as an early birthday present. The album is Before You Now. I love it!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen, Kate is my cousin and Corey is my cousin in law. If you look up a biography, you'll see they are from Buffalo, NY.

Glad you liked them!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I've been really getting in to Daughtry lately. But, I love EVERY type of music!!!!! Literally. Rock has to be my favorite! Country is probably my least favorite genre, but, music is music!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I liked Daughtry since he was on American Idol. Great talent. I have always been a Rocker but am very surprised how Country has changed. With great guitar playing, especially bass, it is hard to tell if it is Country or Rock sometimes.

I had a music channel on the other day and was listening to it as I was cleaning. I heard many songs I really liked so I decided to sit and watch it for a while. Imagine my surprise when I realized I had on a religious channel and the bands were all playing Christian music! It sounded like Rock to me. When I think of Christian music, my mind goes to people in robes singing what I guess is called *gospel* music.

All genres of music have changed over the years, some for the better and some not.
I guess the kind of music I do not like is *blues* It is just so slow for me. We should all give the different styles of music a try. It might surprise us.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, there are many good bands who play so called Christian music. But sometimes, I need a change, because I have listened to the same bands over and over since I have been very little. So called "Secular" music used to be banned in our house, and still sort of is.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:
I guess the kind of music I do not like is *blues* It is just so slow for me.

There I have a different taste in music - perhaps. If you were to extend that to all music which has any roots in Blues, you can just dump pretty much all of western popular music since after World War II, and wide swaths of American popular music since before WW I!.
But that may depend on what you define as Blues. If I just take the songs by the very old Blues greats Elmore James and Robert Johnson (never mind Muddy Waters and Co. later!), these have been covered by tons of rock bands for decades. And some interpretations by bands like the Allman Brothers, Foghat, Derek & The Dominoes, Delaney & Bonnie etc. etc. etc. are anything but slow, they are real steamrollers! Perhaps you just do not have these songs as performed by some bands and solo performers categorized as Blues?

Some Blues songs (like Clapton's "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" ARE slow, but the guitar fireworks in them are usually mind-blowing.

Which brings me to the (have I mentioned this before?) greatest rock guitar album of all time: Clapton's band Derek & The Dominoes' "Layla", with guest star Duane Allman on slide guitar at his very best. That album sends shivers down my spine just thinking of it.

(I think I need a cold shower ...)
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
It was long ago when I went to a Clapton concert titled "Nothing but the Blues" It was the worst concert I ever attended. People were leaving! I stayed, hoping, hoping, but it was as titled, Nothing but the Blues. Layla? Well, I love that song, both the slow and the fast versions. I guess when I think of the Blues, my thoughts are of a small, smoke filled, dark room in a bad part of town where 3 raspy voiced guys play a piano, drums and a cello and attempt to entertain the sleepy patrons.

Tell me your favourite Blues number and I will go listen to it on Youube.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I thought only the Games Forum was doubling for me.

[Edited on 03/01/2014 by Lindarielwen]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:
Tell me your favourite Blues number and I will go listen to it on Youube.

Ouch! So much to pick from in my collection.
Perhaps two double albums, Duane Allman - An Anthology and Duane Allman - An Anthology Volume II, which has Duane playing session with a load of Blues and R&B greats, as well as some Allman Brothers songs. Both volumes were compiled in 1972.

And on Volume II, there is "It Ain't Fair" by Aretha Franklin, recorded January 8, 1969, a very good claimant to the title of my favorite Blues. A slow Blues.

Two other really good songs on Volume II imo are "Stuff You Gotta Watch" by Arthur Conley, and "Walk On Gilded Splinters" (songwriter Dr. John!) by Johnny Jenkins. What really gets to me in "Splinters" is Duane's slide Dobro. Both of these songs are a bit more up-tempo than Aretha's.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Your favourite, *It Ain't Fair* was not my favourite...I just prefer music with a faster beat. I did like *Stuff You Gotta Watch* and my favourite was *Walk On Gilded Splinters. Johnny Jenkins' voice reminded me a bit of Hendrix.

Thanks, Gandolorin.

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have been listening to Daughtry a lot lately, like Ethelynn. My favorite songs by them are "September" and "Waiting for Superman".
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
^^^ YUP!!!! OOOoohhh, I'm going to a Daughtry and Goo Goo Dolls concert in August!!! SO DARN EXCITED!!!!
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:Do you really want to know? OK, from my Excel-File of my music collection:
Allman Brothers Band, Duane Allman, Louis Armstrong, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, The Beatles, Jeff Beck, George Benson, Black Sabbath, Mike Bloomfield, Dave Brubeck, Roy Buchanan, Buffalo Springfield, Eric Burdon, J.J. Cale, Roger Chapman, Eric Clapton, Clark-Hutchinson, Joe Cocker, Ry Cooder, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young), Miles Davis, Paco de Lucia, Deep Purple, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Al Di Meola, Bo Diddley, Dire Straits, The Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Duke Ellington, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, Rory Gallagher, David Garret, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Goodman, Herbie Hancock, George Harrison, Coleman Hawkins, Jimi Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Humble Pie, Iron Butterfly, The J. Geils Band, Mahalia Jackson, Michael Jackson, Elmore James, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Billy Joel, Elton John, Robert Johnson, Janis Joplin, B.B. King, Carole King, The Kinks, Leo Kottke, Lenny Kravitz, Leadbelly, Led Zeppelin, Alvin Lee, John Lennon, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Mahogany Rush, Herbie Mann, Curtis Mayfield, Paul McCartney, John McLaughlin, Wes Montgomery, The Moody Blues, The Mothers of Invention, Mountain, Muddy Waters, Gerry Mulligan, Ted Nugent, Jimmy Page, Christopher Parkening, Charlie Parker, Joe Pass, Alan Parsons, Oscar Peterson, Pink Floyd, Popa Chubby, Procol Harum, Elvis Presley, Bonnie Raitt, Ram Jam, Django Reinhardt, Return to Forever, The Rolling Stones, Carlos Santana, Andrés Segovia, Simon and Garfunkel, Steppenwolf, Cat Stevens, Stephen Stills, Taste, Ten Years After, Three Dog Night, Traffic, Robin Trower, Joe Turner, Tina Turner, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ben Webster, West, Bruce & Laing, The Who, Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Steve Winwood, Bill Withers, Stevie Wonder, Lester Young, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top.

[Edited on 12/11/2013 by Gandolorin]

Gandolorin, sounds like we have similar tastes in music, although (with a few exceptions) I prefer pre-70s stuff. Some of my favorite artists are:
Pre-British Invasion Rock: The Beach Boys, The Cascades, Chuck Berry, The Big Bopper, Eddie Cochran, Bobby Darin, Buddy Holly, Dion and the Belmonts, The Fleetwoods, The Marvelettes, Phil Phillips, Neil Sedaka, Dell Shannon, The Shirelles, Frankie Valli, J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers

Doo-Wop: Del-Vikings, The Earls, The Edsels, The Five Satins, Manfred Mann, The Monotones

British Invasion: The Beatles (early stuff), Herman's Hermits, The Hollies, The Kinks, The Searchers, The Zombies

Soul: Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, The Foundations, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell, Ben E. King, The Righteous Brothers, Smoky Robinson And the Miracles, Jackie Wilson

I am probably forgetting some, and I am always finding new songs that I like.

I also enjoy Classical, Bluegrass/Folk, and Jazz/Swing.

I detest my generation's music, can you tell? And yes, unlike most of my generation, I know what records and VCR tapes are!
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
EthelynnGreenleaf said:^^^ YUP!!!! OOOoohhh, I'm going to a Daughtry and Goo Goo Dolls concert in August!!! SO DARN EXCITED!!!!

Jealous much! Have fun! Get me pictures!
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
ImageImage
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Here is the Country Girl report: In July, I will be seeing Chase Rice at Daytona International Speedway. In August, I will go to a Blake Shelton concert featuring Neal McCoy, Dan & Shay and (hope I don't die) The Band Perry. September brings me Luke Bryan with Lee Brice and Cole Swindell (met him, love him)and in October, I will be seeing Jason Aldean with Florida-Georgia Line and Tyler Farr.

I will be eating Ramen Noodle soup for quite a while...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Its OK, Lindarielwen, Ramens are good!

Up here we have a thing called Taste of Country...its a weekend long I think...and it is at a theme park that doubles as a theme park so you can see concerts and in between that ride rides.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hey elven_fencer! What's the point in being a mod if just anyone goes bumping threads? Not fair.

You forgot Booker T and the MGs. And check out Wendy René
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Please accept my deepest apologies, Tarcolan. Image I was not aware that only mods bumped topics here.

My tastes lean more towards pre-1980s music.
ImageImage
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
i prefer the 90's metal and older, mostly black sabbath and hendrix era rock
Eadburga
Council Member
Send Message
I am personally very much into Celtic Music at the moment!! Don't know why, but irish & Celtic Music has Always been in my Life for some reason!!
~I aear can ven na mar~
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Eadbuga, I love Celtic music too! I particularly like groups like Celtic Woman, especially their new album
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am listening to David Bowie music today. He is now truly Stardust.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Tbh, I'm really proud of my music library. It's pretty much collection of favorites from the people I love.
Every month my genre preference changes, but I can't say I really hate any genre besides maybe rap.
Recently there artists have been on repeat:
Colony House
Wolves at the Gate (their new album is rad)
Switchfoot
Coldplay
John Mark McMillian
Catfish and the Bottlemen
Hawkins
Council Member
Send Message
Country
Lothriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I usually cycle through a lot of various artists and genres, and lately I've been listening to more instrumental music. However, my favorite artists include:

-Red
-Of Monsters and Men
-Starset
-Halsey
-Florence and the Machine
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
What I have found to be treasure troves for the kind of music I like are the DVDs of the Crossroads Guitar Festivals organized by Eric Clapton. The first one that I own was 2004 in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, then 2007 in Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois, 2010 at the same venue, and 2013 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I also just noticed by checking Wikipedia that to my horror, I am missing the first concert held at Madison Square Garden, New York on June 30, 1999!!!

NO! I have it! It's just called "Eric Clapton & Friend In Concert (A Benefit For The Croosroads Centre In Antigua)", founded by Eric Clapton, a drug treatment center in Antigua.

So I'm speculating on a 2016 version, though the Wikipedia page was last modified on 6 January 2017. *sigh* Neither Slowhand nor many other participants are getting younger ...

[Edited on 01/23/2020 by Gandolorin]
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Recent favorite artists:
-Taylor Swift
-Jon Bellion
-Dodie
-Any Disney soundtrack
-Camilla Cabello
-James TW
-Luke Combs