Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First3738394041Last >>
Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn scrambled up the side of the tree clinging to branch. It was then that his feet slipped and he landed on the ground. Determinedly he finally swung himself onto the first branch. A wave of unbalance hit him and he clung to the branch above. The flet was a long ways up.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Harn finally made his way to the top of the flet. Linriel and Eleniel applauded him as he stood on shakey legs. Eleniel turned to Linriel. "Where shall we go now? We have the whole day ahead of us."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel was delighted when Harn reached the flet. "That was good, Harn. It will get easier and you will gain more confidence. Soon you will be climbing every tree in sight."

"I think we should have something to eat first. Today promises to be another beautiful day. We could go to the grotto. We could go to the stables. We could even climb more trees." Linriel finsihed with a smile at Harn.

The maid jumped down to the nearest branch. "Let us go!"
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel followed her friend down the tree, sliding effortlessly over bark and branch. The two hit the ground long before Harn, and waited patiently for him.

"Do you have a horse here?" Eleniel asked Linriel. "You mentioned the stables. I should like to get a mount of my own; traveling will be easier if the horse trusts it's rider."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel smiled at the mention of horses. "Yes, I have a horse. His name is Meldir and he has been with me for a long time. He was wild and free when he came into my life and now, we travel together. It will be good to have a horse of your own. There are plenty here to choose from. Let us go to the stables."

"Harn, you did quite well with your climbing. Come, we will go to the stables together." Linriel said to Harn.

The three walked together down the path.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
It took Harn less time to climb down. He smiled at Linriel's complement and followed the two Elves down the path. When they reached the stables he walked over to Ithil's stall. She was enjoying her stay at Lorien, especially the oats. She nudged him looking for the apple that he always carried.
"You are going to get fat," he whispered pulling the apple out.
Ithil snorted and crunched the apple.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel scanned the rows and rows of beautiful mounts, overwhelmed a the sight of them. There were so many. Linriel seemed right at home here, but then, Lorien was her realm, her haven. Linriel saw her looking and said, "You can come to them. Horses are as old as Elves ourselves. We are an ancient group, intertwined as the trees are with the ground."

Eleniel went over to a black stallion and touched it's mane.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel smiled as Eleniel reached out to Meldir's mane. The horse allowed Eleniel to touch him and he nuzzled her hand. "Let me introduce you to Meldir. He has been with me though many adventures, some good and some not so good. He permitted me to capture him long ago." Linriel kissed her horse's nose.

"Will this be your first horse? Have you ridden much in the past?" Linriel asked Eleniel as the two maids walked about the stable.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I have ridden before, but with no particular mount," Eleniel said as Linriel paused to feed an animal a slice of fruit, brought down from the tray they themselves had been eating from. "My travel was mostly on foot; I went where horses could not travel. Into the branches. Up into the stars. So yes, in a way, this will be my first companion."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Where are we going?" Harn asked as he rode up on Ithil.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel allowed a horse to nuzzle her head and chest. "I would not mind staying here for a time," she said, petting it. "We all require rest. What say you, Linriel?" The maiden seemed to be absorbed in her mount.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel rested her head against Meldir's neck. She smiled as she remembered how she climbed on his back for the first time. How mad he was! He bucked and she fell off. She rode him without a saddle for years but now she has a beautiful saddle that Aragil ordered made for her before he disappeared months ago. I wonder if he will ever come back.

The sound of Eleniel's voice brought Linriel out of her thoughts. Harn also rode up on Ithil and asked where they are going. "There is plenty of forest to explore, Harn." answered Linriel. "You can go on ahead. Eleniel is going to try and decide on a horse and that will take some time." Meldir neighed as Linriel began to walk with Eleniel past the stalls.

"You think you are choosing the horse but it is the horse that chooses you. Take your time. Look at all of them. Speak to all of them. One will answer." Linriel said to Eleniel.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"You think you are choosing the horse but it is the horse that chooses you. Take your time. Look at all of them. Speak to all of them. One will answer," Linriel said.

Eleniel smiled. It had taken her some time to accustom herself to the way Linriel spoke, more poetic than she. Lorien valued song and light more than Mirkwood did; it explained the difference in their dialect.

Harn rode out of the stable and circled back to wait for them. Feeling slightly rushed, Eleniel stroked the horses' nose in front of her, a deep midnight bay. She whispered soothing words to the creature and reached around it to feed it a bit of lembas from her pocket.

At once, she felt another nudge at her side. Behind her, a tall, strong chestnut stallion pleaded for one of the little cakes. It stood proudly, legs straight and tall, and its mane ran in perfect silk down it's neck. It's eyes, however, betrayed it's regal air, wide and begging.

Eleniel turned and offered the bread, keeping her palm flat. The horse's lips gently touched her hand as it consumed its treat.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel smiled as she watched Eleniel with the horses. "Never rush when you are seeking a horse. Choosing a mount takes time and patience. Your horse will not just be a beast who carries you. It will also be your protector, your guide, your ally, your guardian and your friend." Meldir gave a loud whinny.

"This is not the only stable and there are also horses in the meadow you might care to see. I watched Meldir for three days from afar before I approached him but he was wild and free. He most definitely made me chase him." Linriel said to Eleniel.

It seemed that Eleniel was good with the horses and several stayed close to her. "Just take all the time you need. This is a very important decision. After you choose a horse, you must think about the bridle and saddle. I have not used a saddle in all the years I have had Meldir but I think since we will be traveling, a saddle is what I need at this time."

Eleniel continued walking among the horses and Harn gave Ithil another apple.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel's fingers carressed the mane of the one closest to her, the one which had taken the apple. "It seems as if this one is speaking to me," She said softly, both to the creature and to Linriel. "Do they have names?" She opened up the stall and the horse softly stepped out towards them. It was taller than Eleniel had first noticed, several hands high. It lowered it's head to nuzzle her shoulder.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel watched as Eleniel reacted to the beautiful horse. "They are not named. When you have made your choice, you must decide on a name. A name is very important. Meldir means *trusted friend*. He most certainly is that to me."

Trusted friend. My horse. He has been with me for many adventures and he has never betrayed that trust...unlike others in my life.

"That is a fine horse. Already a bond is starting, I think. Do not rush. Walk away. See if the horse follows you." Linriel said to Eleniel.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Following Linriel's advice, Eleniel took several steps back, and then looked behind her. The horse regarded her with chocolate eyes, but did not follow. Eleniel took a few more steps, to the same result. Crushed. Eleniel turned to Linriel and said, "We can come back. Tomorrow, maybe."

The two of them went out of the stable, following Harn. "What advice do you think Galadriel will offer us?" Eleniel asked Linriel quietly, still upset by the lack of interest from the horse.

Suddenly, a whinny split the air. Eleniel turned to see the horse- her horse- rearing up an neighing. Laughing, Eleniel dashed back to it, stroking it's mane.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Before Linriel had a chance to answer, a horse gave a loud whinny. She clapped her hands joyfully as she watched Eleniel rush to the horse.

She walked up to the pair. "It seems you have found your horse. Or rather, I think the horse has found you." Linriel took notice as Eleniel lovingly touched the horse's mane. Yes, horse and rider will be good with each other.

Harn was sitting on his horse when a thought occurred to Linriel. "Harn, there is someone I would like you to meet. Do you have any interest in healing?" she asked.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"If I could learn how you cured Legolas of that poison then gladly," Harn said eagerly.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel nodded. "It is good to have at least a general knowledge of the healing properties of various plants and herbs. You might have to save your own life one day. Have you heard of athelas? It is widely used for many ailments."

Before she continued, Linriel looked back at Eleniel. The maiden was whispering to her new found friend.

"I will take you to the healing flet." Linriel told Harn. "You will meet my friend, Maldor. He has been a healer for thousands of years." Linriel smiled as she watched Harn's eyes widen at the mention of Maldor's age. It is difficult for Men to comprehend the ageing of Elves.

"Maldor can show you some of the basic plants and herbs and you will learn to find them in the wild. Knowing how to stop poison or how to treat a wound with a plant is something that could be of great benefit. You have been wounded so at least you already know how to stop bleeding with a tight binding. I will take you to the healing flet later this day."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Thank you," Eleniel said quietly to her new horse. "Thank you for choosing me." The mount regarded her with wide, liquid brown eyes.

"I shall have to find a proper name for you. I will come back to see you in a slight time, after I see to some business with my friends." Friends. Mellon. No, it is not the right name for such a majestic creature. I shall have to see if I encounter any inspiration as we dwell among Lorien.

Her horse whinnied balefully as they left. Linriel said something about going to a healers tent, some sort of education for Harn. Eleniel hoped he would be able to scale the tree to even get to the flet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn rode behind Linriel. The Healer's flet was on the ground, thankfully, no more climbing. He was certain if he climbed another tree he would have to go see the Healer.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel and Linriel began the walk to the healing flet while Harn followed upon his horse. The three made their way in silence, each looking about at the beauty of Lorien.

I have known Lorien for all my life, yet the beauty of it always stirs my heart thought Linriel. She looked over at Eleniel and remembered...This is where I met Bildarion. The father of a maiden I have come to care so much about.

As the trio neared the healing flet, an Elf stepped out from the trees. "Linriel, can this be? Is it really you?" asked the Elf. He was tall and stately with long dark brown hair that fell to the middle of his back. His eyes were the rich colour of mahogany.

"Maldor! Maldor!" cried Linriel as she ran to him. Maldor put his arms around Linriel and spun her around. The two were childhood friends and spent many hours together in Lorien playing, riding, hunting and climbing. "What brings you to Lorien?" Maldor asked Linriel.

"I am here with my friends and right now, I have brought them to look for you." Linriel replied. "This is Eleniel. She is the daughter of Bildarion." Maldor, for a moment, had no words. "Daughter? He has a daughter?" spoke Maldor. He took Eleniel's hands and said, "I greet you fair maiden. It is a pleasure to meet the daughter of so noble an Elf.

Harn cleared his throat which make Maldor look to the boy. "Ah, you must be the boy who tries to climb. I have heard there was a human in these woods. Welcome, lad, you will soon be going up the trees without fear."

Maldor turned to Linriel. "Dear one, how joyous it is to see you again. I am glad you are here. But you say you have come to look for me? For what purpose? Or is it just for the pleasure of my company?" Maldor laughed.

Linriel fixed her eyes on Maldor's face. There was a time, so long ago, when... "I do have a reason for coming to you. Harn has an interest in healing. I think you could be of help to him."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I'm afraid if I climb another tree I will become your patient instead of your student," Harn replied smiling. "Could I learn how to cure Hemlock poisoning," he pleaded, "I had a sister...that...died from it."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel was startled when the healer grasped her hands, and even more so when he professed to know her father. Did, then, he know Tumion? Especially if he and Linriel were childhood friends.

Maldor and Harn went about the large, somewhat low to the ground flet. A slight ramp rose up from the earth, as well as a few steps that looked as if they were lit either by ocean tide or from the ancient dust of stars.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor laughed at Harn's remark but then turned serious at the mention of hemlock. "Hemlock is a very dangerous plant and poisoning from it is very serious," Maldor said to Harn as they walked about the flet. Maldor went to a shelf of books and removed a very old and worn volume and placed it on a nearby table.

"This book holds a lot of information about many poisonous plants and possible antidotes. Besides hemlock, some other poisonous plants are nightshade, jasmine berries and belladonna. It will be good for you to be able to recognize some of the toxic plants and which other plants to use as antidotes."

Maldor looked at Harn with kindness in his eyes. "I am sorry about the loss of your sister. The antidote for hemlock is grape skins mixed with athelas. The plants are ground and then it is made into a liquid by adding water. Hemlock blocks the air passages in the throat very quickly so unless you are able to administer the antidote in a matter of moments, the result is usually fatal. I know Linriel carries a pack with many dried herbs and plants. That is something you should consider as well."

Harn sat at the table and began looking at the book. Maldor watched as Linriel and Eleniel looked at all the jars filled with various roots, berries, leaves, and other plant material. Bildarion, always Bildarion. I am glad Linriel is no longer betrothed to him. She deserves better. And a daughter! That Elf has kept many secrets from all of us but his work must be tended to. He has saved many lives.

Maldor approached the two maidens. "Please take any plants you need." Then he asked, "Is Tumion still with Bildarion in Mirkwood? Has the trouble there been resolved?" As Eleniel took down a jar filled with feverfew, Linriel answered. "Yes, all is well in Mirkwood. Legolas is injured and has remained there and Bildarion and Tumion must gather information to take to Elrond in Rivendell. I think they will all return here to Lorien before long."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn sat at a table and began to study the book. He wasn't good at reading and it had been a long time since he had even tried. That's...A...and that's a M or is it a W? His thoughts ran wild as he struggled to decipher the old print on the yellowing paper. He could recognize some small words and phrases but everything else was blurring.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel tucked some feverfew into her bag, and then returned the jar to the shelf, trying to remain unseen. She could see the look on the healer's face when the name of her father was mentioned. It seemed that every Elf from here to the undying lands had somehow heard of Bildarion's deeds. Now, Eleniel feared that his actions would follow her where she went. Her father's choices would follow her for eternity.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel went to the table to see what Harn was doing and she noticed he was having a bit of trouble with the book. She looked on the shelves and selected several books that were not as old and dusty as the one the boy was looking at. "Try these books, Harn," said Linriel, "one has drawings and the other has small bits of the plants and that might make it easier for you to recognize them."

Maldor watched as Linriel spent some time with Harn. She has always been so considerate of others The kind Elf walked to Eleniel who just placed some feverfew in her pouch. "Please, take all you need, Eleniel. Have you ever used chamomile? If you grind the leaves, you can make a pleasant tea that helps one to relax and you can also make a balm that soothes bites and stings." Maldor reached up and took down a jar of chamomile and another of yarrow. "Yarrow is used to stop the flow of blood from wounds." he told her.

[Edited on 09/22/2014 by Lindarielwen]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
At Maldor's gentle instruction, Eleniel placed a few more pinches of feverfew into her pouch.

"Have you ever used chamomile? If you grind the leaves, you can make a pleasant tea that helps one to relax and you can also make a balm that soothes bites and stings," Maldor added.

"I have never used it," Eleniel replied, "But I will take some with me, if you have some to spare." Maldor took a jar of it down, along with another clay bottle with a glass stopper. "Yarrow is used to stop the flow of blood from wounds," he explained, showing her the amount to use for a basic cut.

"Thank you," Eleniel said. "I think that I may have liked to be a healer, in another life."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn picked up one of the new books that Linriel handed him.
"Thank you." he said.
This book was much easier, he could recognize some plants but others were unknown to him.
"What is this plant?" he asked Linriel pointing to a spindly leafed plant with a tempting yellow flower.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor looked at Eleniel with serious eyes. "Another life? You, no doubt, will have a long wonderful future ahead of you, Eleniel. You can do with it as you will but you can learn about healing now, in this life." Maldor turned to put the jar of yarrow back in it's place on the shelf.

Linriel looked down at Harn as he pointed to a plant. His dark brown hair turned into a myriad of colours as the sun shone upon the boy's head. "That one is called yarrow. It is used to stop blood that is issuing from a wound. Let me show you," spoke Linriel. She turned to the shelf at the same instant Maldor turned with the jar of the yellow flower. The two Elves bumped into each other and the jar slipped from Maldor's hands and began to fall to the floor.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
As the jar began to fall, Eleniel quickly leaped towards it, the glass hitting her outstretched palms, calloused from travel, wetly. "Careful," she warned, handing the jar back to Maldor. The relief in the air was almost audible.

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn turned back to the book relieved that the precious herb had not been defiled by shards of grass. A soft wind had blown the pages of the book and a new plant rose from the pages, hemlock the dreaded killer. Focusing on the few words under the sample of the book, Harn soon became lost in memory.
============
“Delia come on we have to pick a bucketful of berries,” a young woman called.
“Coming mother,” the little girl chirped brightly.
“Harn watch where you are going,” the woman instructed a small boy who gazed at a bird instead of the path before him.
The trio made it to a dense thicket of berry bushes, which were loaded with their brilliant fruits. Soon the children’s mouths were stained with red and purple juices and the buckets only a fourth filled. The day passed merrily and the sun began to disappear on the horizon.
“Oh my it is getting late,” the woman said softly gazing at the sun, “Delia, Harn we must go home. Let me see your pail Harn. Where’s your sister?”
“She was on the south side of the thicket I think.”
“Well let’s go find her.”
The two searched the thickets, then the woman turned a corner and screamed. Delia lay sprawled on the ground clutching something in her left hand blood trickled from her mouth. The woman picked up Delia and opened her fist.
“Hemlock!” she gasped. “Come Harn we have to get back to the village quickly! Eru protect my child.”
They made it back to the village and woke the healer up, Harn waited nervously outside the hut. Finally, his father came out and sat him on a bench.
“Harn your sister…is…dead.”
No, she couldn’t be, she was just here laughing and babbling nonsense, dead? Dead.
==================
“Harn?” Linriel called, her voice seemed so far away.
He looked up from the book slightly dazed. It felt like he had received that awful news again.
“I think…I’m done for this day,” he said slowly.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor was grateful to Eleniel for catching the jar but he noticed her hands. He put the jar on the shelf and went to her. "Eleniel, come, I will put some balm on your hands. It is called aloe and is very soothing."

Linriel glanced at Harn and noticed the boy had stopped reading and just stared, his eyes were glazed. He seems to be having a memory of something, something not very pleasant She watched Harn for a few more moments and then decided to approach him.

"Harn? Harn?" she said. The boy looked at Linriel and still seemed to be dazed. "Harn? What is it? What is wrong? Can you tell me?" The boy closed the book and walked away with his head down.

We all have memories that cause us pain.
<< First3738394041Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email