Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First4748495051Last >>
Author Topic:
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Írimë unsaddled her new horse and set the tack in a neat stack by a tree. From one of her bags she pulled a brush and comb and set to work cleaning the dusty horse. A few minutes of diligent work yielded good results. The maiden stepped back and smiled in delight. The white stars in his coat reflected the starlight, making him look like a part of the sky itself. She stroked his powerful neck one last time and went to put her tools away. When she returned she noticed one of the younger members of the party struggling with a bucket of water. "May I help you with your task? There are quite a number of horses here." Without waiting for a reply, Írimë retrieved another bucket and set to work filling and refilling it.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel approached Itarildë as she was pondering on the grass by the fire, her eyes far away.

"You have secured a great meal for us. I can skin the rabbits if you wish." Linriel said to her, her friendly smile making her face glow.

"Ah, Lady Linriel," Itarildë stood, brushing dust from her lap. "I thank you for the helping hand, and Meri, I thank you also!" She called out to the younger elf who was stood by the silent Adonnenniel, having let go of her hand.

Itarildë had underestimated (or forgotten) how difficult it was to cook for more than a few people. And this was quite a gathering. She handed Linriel the rabbits gratefully, then set to work on flavouring the fish.

She looked up at Linriel who had begun to skin the rabbits. She did her best to soften the Half-Elven frown, but knew it would be difficult; it was an in-born trait she was seemingly stuck with. No matter, she was sure the others would soon realise that was just how she always looked.

"I was unsure whether the others gathered here would approve of meat. I have heard some elves are none to fond of eating the flesh of living creatures. Though I myself have been brought to appreciate it by my father."

A slight pang of sadness came into Itarildë's heart as she thought of family, but she soon quenched it. There was no need for sadness. Yes, she was out exploring the world like she'd always wanted. But she would miss her father's visits home, which were becoming less and less frequent as the years went by. She the began to wonder how her grandfather was spending his days, now he didn't have Itarildë to 'baby' anymore...

[Edited on 05/19/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel sat upon a tree root and deftly began to butcher and dress the rabbit to make it ready to be cooked. She spoke to Itarilde as she did so. "Meat was served regularly at my home. I grew up in Arthedain. and the Rangers there taught me to hunt when I was very young. I remember bringing rabbits and deer home and my parents and I prepared the meals together.,"

Her voice grew still as she thought of her parents leaving for the West some 500 years ago. She shook her head to clear those thoughts away but still her mind wandered. They left me here and sailed away. Even though I chose not to go, they still left me and now my mother is dead. I wonder how my father is faring. Is he lonely? Does he ever think of me?

Linriel stood and gathered some branches to make a spit over the fire. "I will take the rabbits to the river and wash them. We should be having a fine meal soon. You have managed to bring a great deal of meat to the table. Your hunting skills are quite good. Perhaps one day we can go hunting together." The maid looked at Itarilde with respect. "You are a perfect addition to this company." Linriel turned towards the river.

I love walking in the forest at night. Everything is the same yet everything is different. The stars twinkled in the sky and the sliver of the New Moon started to rise above the horizon. Linriel reached the riverbank and washed the rabbits and wondered if Meri or Beri would like the hides, perhaps to make small pouches for themselves. I must speak to Beriadanwen soon. She smiled as she thought of the young mischief makers. I wonder what happened to that pig.

Linriel finished cleansing the rabbits and started back towards the camp but not before a great bird swooped down and caught a fish in it's talons. He made that look so easy she smiled to herself.Image

I look forward to a good meal and a night of merriment around the fire.

[Edited on 05/26/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
"I will take the rabbits to the river and wash them. We should be having a fine meal soon. You have managed to bring a great deal of meat to the table. Your hunting skills are quite good. Perhaps one day we can go hunting together. You are a perfect addition to this company." Linriel said to Itarildë.

Itarildë watched the other elf walk towards the river, almost in a daze. She found it hard to believe she had been so easily accepted into the group. She set once more to flavouring the meat and collected vegetation. When had she learned to hunt?

Her mind wandered back to a time when she was much younger, when she was in her first 'life cycle', her father once again away, and she and her grandfather had been playing hide-and-seek...

------

She had hidden behind one of the rather more robust bookshelves, and was covering her mouth.

"Hmm, I wonder if little Ildë is hiding in here..." came Lord Elrond's voice. She couldn't hide for long, she'd never been very good at it as a child. Itarildë jumped out and made a roaring noise at her grandfather. Her grandfather had feigned fright then swooped her up into his arms.

"You little rascal! I knew I'd find you in here," he placed her down then they walked over to the chairs by the bay window. Her favourite place in all Middle-Earth, was right there by that chair.

Itarildë sat by Elrond's side, her head leaning on his knee, as she played with his robe sleeve absent-mindedly. Her eye was drawn to the blue-stoned ring he always wore.

"Grandfather, tell me again about the Sack of Eregion." She looked up at him. She saw his eyes strain slightly, then the look disappeared.

"Again?! But have I not already told this tale to you many times before?" Elrond smiled, then turning to look out of the window. "Wouldn't you much prefer an archery competition?" An amused glint appeared in his eyes.

"But Grandfather, you always lose!" Itarildë said seriously, the Half-Eleven frown already making its mark.

"Oh Ildë, you always know where to cut the deepest. Alright, if you're too scared I'll win, well... looks like I'll just tell everyone you're archery skill is still unworthy..."

He'd barely finished his sentence before Itarildë had raced outdoors. Elrond smiled as he followed his granddaughter outside. It was getting harder to distract her since Elrohir had departed. But Elrond cherished the time he spent with her greatly. How could he not?

------

Itarildë smiled at the memory, then absent-mindedly stroked the bow she'd been given all those years ago. It had served her well on her few journeys. She just hoped she would only use it for hunting on this trip. She didn't like the cold shiver that was currently running down her spine. Was somebody watching the group?

OOC: Sorry for the long post today, all! Finally, here's an image of Itarildë's bow:Image

[Edited on 05/21/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Thurinlass smiled at the sight of the merry group preparing a meal by the fire with the river at hand. Everyone was doing their part. Except him. He realized this in his joyful thought which caused him to walk quickly over to Ilma. He grabbed a saddle bag but then she took two steps forward, causing his hand to land on the bag just to the rear of the one he had intended to grab. He took a step to his side back to the original bag and once more she stepped forward. Thurinlass sighed and look at his old friend, "This is the bag I put the apples in, is it not?" He asked. Ilma whinnied loudly and threw her head up. "If I give you one," Thurinlass said, "Then you shall have to share with each of your new companions." He waited, thinking that this would dissuade her. After a moment Ilma let out a neigh which drew the horses near. Shocked, Thurinlass opened the bag and began handing out apples. One by one the horses got their treat, then last of all Ilma ate her apple. After that, she was more than willing to allow Thurinlass access the the correct saddle bag.

After his adventure with the horses, Thurinlass produced for moderately sized bottles of his own, home-made wine. Two clear and golden, and the other two darker and red. He set them on a level spot in the grass where he assumed they would eat, and retrieved a golden cup for each member of the company save himself. His cup was silver, and significantly smaller than the others. He poured no wine, but waited for all the rest of the company to finish their labor.
The sky is afire with wroth, and the rivers are red with blood.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
One of the others offered Beri help with the horses, and she nodded her thanks. The strain of carrying the over-heavy bucket prevented her from replying, but it didn't matter anyway; the other elf had turned away to fetch a bucket before she got a chance to speak. As she returned to the river she saw Linriel a little way along its banks, washing something that might have been a piece of folded brown cloth. She turned away quickly, not wanting to be distracted from her own task.

[Edited on 05/23/2015 by wolfbladequeen]
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Adonnenniel didn't know what to do, her mind seemed not to keep up with the activity around her. Meri suddenly took her hand, she looked down at their hands, not expecting this. Then Meri was off a moment later.

Everyone else knew what they were doing, so she stepped back, getting out of the way. She sat down quietly, inconspicuously, and waited.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel watched as Linriel and Ilde skinned the rabbits. She herself had eaten meat when she started traveling. One couldn't live on simply greens, especially in the wild as they were.

The fire was warm, and her hands were cold. She stretched out her hands and said aloud, "I wish I would have thought to bring gloves with me for this trip. I expect that the nights will be cooler."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Írimë watered the last horse and put the bucket away. She rubbed her hands over her dress to dry them and spoke to the younger elf, "Beri, shall we join the others at the fire now? It smells like the food is almost ready." Leading the way to the circle of light she took a seat on a log someone had rolled up.

She listened to the conversation around her and smiled. They all sounded like a family preparing the evening meal together. That was one thing she had never experienced personally, having lost both parents at a young age. Her father's face was fairly clear in her mind, but she could never see her mother. Often she tried to remember, even create a picture of her mother in her mind. But all she could distinguish was a presence. Warm and kind it seemed, though she never saw the person to whom it belonged. Still, it had brought comfort to her in those lonely nights as a child when there was no one to hold her close and tell her all would be well. Shaking off the sense of melancholy that had settled over her mind, Írimë returned her attention to the present.

"I wish I would have thought to bring gloves with me for this trip. I expect that the nights will be cooler."

"Eleniel, I have some spare material in my bag. If you would like, I could size your hand and sew you a pair." She smiled pleasantly at the other elf, hoping that her offer might be the gateway to friendship.

[Edited on 05/22/2015 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Beriadanwen nodded to Írimë. "Yes. I for one am hungry," she replied. She followed her to where the others were gathered. She hesitated, unsure where to sit, then noticed Adonnenniel sitting off by herself. A wave of sadness passed over her. Adonnenniel had suffered great losses. Beri might have lost a friend, but she had lost a family member. She seemed very withdrawn, and Beri did not want to disturb her from her thoughts, but she also did not want to leave her on her own. They had travelled together for a long time, and aside from her cousin, she and Linriel were the only people she felt truly comfortable around. She sat down on a log not far from the other elf, and smiled gently at her before looking down at the ground, inviting her to come closer if she wished but also letting her know that she would not be hurt if she chose to keep her distance.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
The food was all ready and everyone seemed to have gathered by the fire. Itarildë handed out food to everyone with her unfortunately forced smile, but did her best to make it as friendly as possible.

She overheard Eleniel saying she'd wished to have brought gloves, then smiled as she heard Írimë offer to make her some. That was so much like Írimë to offer kindness - how did she do it so effortlessly?

Itarildë spoke up "Írimë makes wonderful gloves, Eleniel. You will fall in love with them, I promise." She then thought and decided to add, "I hope the food is alright for everyone. I'm not accustomed to everyone's sense of taste, but I'm sure I'll learn with time!"

Itarildë moved to the outskirts of the group to eat her meal, as despite trying hard, she still didn't feel a full part of the company, and she felt spent having hunted, cooked, and made an immense effort to not frown for most of the day. She also felt slightly homesick for the first time in her life. At home, she'd have been sat alongside Lord Elrond, Lindir and Erestor after eating a large meal. Lindir would be singing, and Erestor would be reading a book of some kind, while Itarildë hummed along with Lindir. She hoped this feeling would soon pass. Her Half-Elven frown was enough to deal with...
Image Image
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Beri seemed a little caught up in her thoughts, so Meri offered to fetch her food as well as her own. Beri gave her a smile and a small nod in reply, and Meri went to stand by the fire. The elf who was organising the food, and whose name she still couldn't remember, was handing out plates and dishing out food. Meri was glad when she said that she hoped it was suitable for their tastes, because it made her feel less guilty when refusing the meat.

"My cousin and I do not eat meat, I'm afraid, though there does seem to be a large array of roots and leaves which we will gladly eat instead. I hope our pickiness is not too bothersome. I do not know if we were ever given meat, but neither of us can hunt or lay snares, and although we do not mind using the fur or feathers of already-dead animals, the meat is not so good, and I don't have the heart to kill a creature. Therefore, we have never gotten used to the taste of meat, and prefer bread and vegetables." She gave a small apologetic smile as she took a plate - she was well-used to sharing with her cousin - and went to sit with Beri.

She had neglected to mention one of the other main reasons they had never eaten meat: neither of them could start a fire. They could gather wood and tinder and make a perfectly arranged pile, but they could not make a spark, no matter how many times they tried with however many pieces of flint and iron. They tended to stay on large roads and sleep in stables for this very reason, and if there were no nearby buildings they would either huddle together with the pig and the mice or keep moving through the night and sleep in the day when the sun would warm them. Of course, there was no need for that, and in any case they had left the pig in Bree, where one day there hoped to return for it.

(I apologise for the picture that was here previously. I posted a picture of a pig and a picture of a stable, I don't know why it changed. I will try to put the pictures back up, if they change again I will remove them.)

[Edited on 05/30/2015 by wolfbladequeen]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel smiled as she watched Thurinlass bring out enough goblets so everyone could enjoy a taste of his sweet wine. She looked forward to, yet again, tasting the delicate flavour of the golden liquid he so carefully crafted. Although his red is also a delight. Maybe I will chose the red. How happy she was to only have to choose between wine rather than face the difficult choices she had to make of late. That box, I must open the box my mother left me when I get back to Lorien.

The aroma of the food made her hungry and she went to her saddlebag and took out a plate and a small knife and fork. She put some of the fish and a few pieces of the rabbit on her plate and also a bit of fruit.

She walked over to Thurinlass. "Preparing a toast, I see. I look forward to your wine again."

[Edited on 05/27/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Thurinlass smiled at his friend as she gave him such kind complements, "Yes, I am preparing a toast." he responded, "It seems fitting for our first night that we should all share a moment. It is good to begin long travels as such, so as to release some of the tension." He nodded to the food on her plate, "In fact, I was about to seek your help. Do you think that, perhaps, when you are finished eating you could help me carry the glasses and bottles to the fire? I presumed that we would eat here, seeing that the land is a bit more even, but I see now that the warmth of a fire is more appealing to our friends. One may argue that I should have thought this beforehand..." he added. "Regardless, your help would be marvelous." he said with a smile at her.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel returned Thurinlass' smile. "This night will remind me of the night so long ago when we first met. Around a fire, singing and laughing." She hesitated before she added with a mischievous grin, "And drinking your delightful wine." She left out the part of how Bildarion came stumbling into the clearing, badly wounded, needing help. How Thurinlass carried him to the healers. How she wondered in disbelief why Bildarion came to be in Lorien. How she ran to the healers tent only to be denied admission. How Galadriel was with Bildarion, talking in low whispers. Anger began to fill her heart. No, not this night. I want to enjoy this beautiful night with my friends.

LInriel hurried and finished her meal and called out to Itarilde. "This is delicious. But don't worry, you won't have to always do the cooking, There are plenty of us here who will also cook." She looked around, happy to see everyone talking and partaking in fellowship. All but one. Adonnenniel was sitting away from the group as she usually did. I have known her all this time but I still do not understand her ways. Linriel went up to her and smiled. "Adonnenniel, why are you sitting alone? Aren't you going to eat? Come and join the rest of us. I must help Thurinlass with the goblets. Perhaps we can talk later."

With one more smile at the maid, Linriel went back to Thurinlass. "The rabbit was delicious did you have some?" Linriel started to gather goblets to move them closer to the fire. She turned to Thurinlass and said with a laugh, "Would you rather I carry the wine?"
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Itarildë nodded gladly as everyone happily ate. The 'possible' twins Itarildë had finally discovered were actually cousins, had taken the vegetable option saying that they did not eat meat, and Itarildë was glad she had made enough food for everyone without forgetting the vegetarians among the group.

The enchantinginly beautiful Linriel called out to her, so Itarildë strained to hear what she was saying: "This is delicious. But don't worry, you won't have to always do the cooking, there are plenty of us here who will also cook."

Itarildë nodded and lifted her bowl to Linriel, "I'm glad you like it. It seems one can learn to cook from just reading."

Suddenly, Itarildë felt the need to stretch her legs, despite feeling tired. It was possibly the home-sickness making her restless... That and the feeling that the group was being watched.

She headed towards the forest, a deep wave of loneliness washing over her. She'd heard the others speaking of their families, and their loved ones, and there seemed to be such happiness within the group. Itarildë did not regret staying in Imladris all these years, nor did she begrudge her grandfather for 'holding her back' so to speak. She was more angry at herself, as she'd never actively seeked love, but she did remember the fleeting feelings she'd once felt for King Thranduil's son. It had been a childhood fancy, nothing more.

There had been one elf back in Imladris who had once caught her eye, but she'd never gained confidence in herself enough to talk alone with him. Hirnaeranin, was his name. Maybe one day she would speak with him, once she returned from Cuivienen, more confident around others...

The forest was beautiful at this time of the day, but it still had its mysteries.
Image Image
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"No, I can't," Harn admitted.

Dinner was served and the young human fully enjoyed the repast, having had little for breakfast. After he had consumed his meal, Harn went to check on Ithil, and found her happily grazing next to her kin. Reaching in his saddle bag, he removed his canteen. Following the sound of the river he knelt and filled his bag. Splashing some water on his face he returned to camp. On his way back, he noticed Itarildë standing by herself.
"If you don't mind me asking," Harn began, "you look uneasy...why?"

======

It, moved amongst the trees, now trying to avoid the Elf that also lurked in the branches. It's three wolves lurked in the shadows, avoiding the light of the moon and stars. Dawnslight , Nightshade, and Bloodlust it called them. Once, it had had a name too, but it was long forgotten. Now it was replaced with the simple title of "The Whisperer." It's head turned sharply as all three of It's pets howled as if by command. Howls in the distance alerted It to the presence of It's pet's kindred. It would not hurt the Company to have fear driven into their hearts tonight. It slid down the tree and observed the path silently.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel had asked Adonnenniel to join their circle around the fire, and everyone else seemed to be there too, save for Harm and Itarildë. Merilwen noticed that Thurinlass had produced glasses and Linriel was helping him with a couple of bottles. He seemed to be waiting for something though. He was too skilled in concealing emotions and only portraying the expression he wished them to see, so that she could not tell if he was impatient or happy to wait, but she got the sense that he wanted the group together for something.

Meri knew that, as their guide, Thurinlass essentially had command of the group, but he had not called Harn and Itarildë to the fire, so she stood, nodded to the others to excuse herself, and called out to them. They were conversing quietly, but she knew they would hear her. "Harn! Itarildë! Come join us here a moment!"

She hoped that the company could spend a little time all together, so that they might become more comfortable around each other. She was considering asking Thurinlass to tell them a story about Cuivienen. She knew very little about their destination, not even where it lay, and knew that a story would calm her own nerves at least. But for now she waited in silence, sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with her cousin as they ate the last of their shared plate of food.

Beriadanwen was distracted. She picked at the food, eating only the occasional piece. She tried feeding a few nuts to her mice, but they also ate little, and she frowned. She was worried about them. They had seemed weaker of late, and she knew they must be growing old.

ImageImage

[Edited on 05/30/2015 by wolfbladequeen]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The cool night air felt good on her face and she tilted it towards the sky. Linirel loved being in the forest in the stillness of the night. Her keen ears seemed to detect a noise, some sort of howl or low screech, far, far off in the distance. She looked in it's direction, but it was much too far for her to discern what it was. She frowned but thought There are plenty of noises in the night, too many to cause concern unless they become closer She looked up and could barely see the moon through the trees.

She returned to the matters at hand or rather to what was in her hands...goblets. Goblets that soon would be filled with the delectable wine of Thurinlass. Linriel got nearer to the fire and began to put the goblets all around for everyone to reach. She was not sure if each member of the party would drink but she hoped all, at least, would take a sip.

Linriel's hand went to the small pouch on her belt. She heard a soft chime as one of her tiny bells moved against another. It will be good to gather around the fire and sing long into the night. Our company is bigger than it used to be but it seems we have all started to get to know each other.

She looked towards the two cousins who have been with the company from the start, so long ago. She remembered how they ran through the chambers of Moria, laughing as they did so.

Her gaze turned to Eleniel. Finding out Eleniel was the daughter of Bildarion came as such a shock to her. He had so many secrets, so many. And none he shared with me. He rathered I searched and fought as I roamed Middle-earth looking for him. Looking for naught because he was safe the entire time, doing the bidding of Galadriel and Thranduil. I am glad I never wed him and as for now, I could never trust him She smiled to herself then, remembering the sword, his sword, she used as she searched for him. When he left to go back into the wild, he told her it was now hers since it became quite the friend to her as she used it to fight. At least I have a wonderful sword. I must give it a name.

"Enough thinking," she said aloud as she reached for one of the now empty goblets and turned to look at Thurinlass.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Itarildë had wandered quite far from the group, but she could just hear them at the fire-site. Although the forest seemed peaceful, something just didn't feel right to her, and she was sure she had seen someone (or something) moving among the branches.

She came to a small pond, and looked down into the water. She played with her braids, staring absent-mindedly into the pond's water. The elf looking back at her hadn't changed much over her many years, not that elves changed much as the years went by. Her eyes currently looked grey, but still from some angles, a brown tint appeared. She tried to concentrate on her face, looking at the corners of her mouth, and wondering why she found it so difficult to show when she was happy.

"No wonder no-one's taken much of a strong liking to you over the years, Ildë..." she said to herself, still looking into the water.

Just then, a voice from the direction of camp called out, but all she could hear was her name: "Itarildë!"

She stood to begin making her way back to camp, when something stung her face. Her hand raised to her cheek to feel a small stinging cut on her cheek, blood clinging to her fingers. Bewildered Itarildë quickly spun around, but after seeing nothing began to walk back to camp.

Once she arrived, she saw all her new companions gathered around a fire, Thurinlass and Linriel carrying what must be wine. She once more seated herself on the outskirts of the group.

"Sorry, I hope I didn't keep you all waiting."

[Edited on 05/31/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel was smiling when she noticed Itarilde return from the woods. She looked at the maid and quickly put down the goblets she was carrying and ran to her saddlebag.

Oh, where is it? Where is my medicine pouch? Linriel rummaged through the saddlebag until she found what she was looking for. She ran to Itarilde.

"What happened? You are bleeding. I have some skill in healing, let me help you." Linriel took a small container from her pouch. "These are comfry leaves. They will stop the bleeding from that wound." Linriel crushed a leaf in her hand and put it on Itarilde's cheek, covering the wound. "The bleeding will stop and the wound will heal quickly."

"Did something sting you? Did you see what it was?" Linriel asked Itarilde.

A cool breeze moved the branches causing some leaves to fall. Linriel looked up and watched the leaves float to the ground. She shook her head as if trying to remove the ill feeling in her mind.

She looked then at Itarilde. "I think you have the same concern I have. I feel we are being watched. But come, let us enjoy this night of fellowship. I will bring you a goblet."

Linriel stood up and went back to the goblets as she gave a nod to Thurinlass. She looked forward to his toast and of course to his wine but she wondered if he had thoughts about any goings on in the woods.
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel had helped Thurinlass with the goblets and he was ready. He took a bottle of the red wine, and a bottle of the golden wine and poured a small mixture of each, the sweet, and the bitter, into each goblet. Then he resealed the bottles and set them aside. "If I may be so bold as to request your attention for a moment." He called to all those in the company. "I would like to propose a toast to each of us, and our journey." Everyone was at the very least, near at hand so he took the first cup and walked to Meri, "Joy's form that walks among unworthy souls." He said, then bowed low, "May your heart be ever as full as the oceans." He bowed again then, handing her the cup, went and grabbed the second golden cup. He bore it to Beri, "Dear friend and companion." He said, then bowed low, "May you always find a home to dwell in, and mice to care for." He bowed again, then handing her the cup, went and took the third of the goblets. He carried this one to Harn, "Son of man, true of heart." he said, then he bowed low, "May the foot of your past be ever lame, so it may not chase you." He bowed again then, handing him the cup, went and retrieved the fourth of the goblets. This one was brought to Adonneniel, "Daughter of sorrows." he said, then bowed low, "May joy rest in your heart once more." He bowed again then, handing her the cup, went and acquired the fifth cup. He escorted it to Eleniel, "Daughter of a Noble House." He said, and bowed low, "May songs be sung of you and your travels long after even I am gone." He bowed again then, handing her the cup, went and procured the sixth cup. He presented it to Itarildë, "Lady of Elrond's house." He said, and bowed low, "May you possess the beauty of your great grandmother Elwing, and the noble doom of your great Grand-sire Eärendil" He bowed again then, handing her the cup, he went and secured the seventh goblet. Carrying it to Írimë he said, "Maid surpassingly fair." Then he bowed low, "May all of Arda reflect your beauty." he bowed again then, handing her the cup, he went and got the eighth goblet. This one was brought to Linriel and he said "Dear, dear friend." then he bowed low, "May it be that the stars ask of your eyes how they are to shine." He bowed again then, handing her the cup, he went to the final cup. Small and silver, though it looked as dross was this cup. He filled it too and raised it, "To friends, and new families. May our Crossed Paths, make a road." He said, then he drained his glass.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
"What happened? You are bleeding. I have some skill in healing, let me help you." said Linriel, coming towards her. "These are comfry leaves. They will stop the bleeding from that wound. The bleeding will stop and the wound will heal quickly."

"Thank you Lady Linriel, but I'm fine, do not fuss so." Itarildë smiled slightly, but she allowed the other elf to help her.

"Did something sting you? Did you see what it was?" Linriel asked her, concern on her features.

"I'm not sure. It felt like a sting, but I cannot think what it was, I didn't see anything to find out. It's no matter, it doesn't hurt much." Itarildë replied, her eyes on the forest, suspicious of it.

"I think you have the same concern I have. I feel we are being watched. But come, let us enjoy this night of fellowship. I will bring you a goblet." Linriel spoke, looking at Itarildë knowingly. So it wasn't just Itarildë's mind playing on her, there was something strange in the air.

Thurinlass then began his toast. His speech was lovely, and his words kind and complimenting. When he addressed her, Itarildë didn't know what to do, or where to look. It was strange having everyone look at her while someone spoke about her. She was glad when it was over, but appreciated Thurinlass' words.

She drained her glass along with all the others and smiled when they were done. All the elves draining their cups reminded her of a drinking contest she'd once had with Prince Legolas. He'd seemed quite fond of them for some strange reason. Her mind then wandered to Hirnaeranin. Wine gave her much more courage than it should. Maybe that was the key to speaking to him one day.

She then spoke up, "I'd like to thank you all for accepting me into your company. I hope we all become friends, and endure many great adventures together."

She hoped that was sufficient enough. She wasn't the best at speeches these days.
Image Image
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Son of man, true of heart. May the foot of your past be ever lame, so it may not chase you."

Harn took the cup and stared at its dark red liquid sloshing against its sides. He had never had wine before, but now seemed like a good time to try. Thurinlass' speech rung in his head, repeating again and again. Had the Elf guessed what kind of past he had had?
He brought the cup to his mouth and drank with the others. The wine had a sweet, but almost sad taste, as if it had seen much of the world, its joy as well as its sorrow.
Itarilde spoke next. "I'd like to thank you all for accepting me into your company. I hope we all become friends, and endure many great adventures together."
"Aye," Harn agreed. "I also want to thank you for accepting a mortal amoungst your group."

~~~~~~~~~~

The Whisperer cursed, It had almost run into a stray Elfling. Although Its many years had aided it in escaping unnoticed. It searched the ground for its wolves and found them lurking dreadfully close to the horses, though downwind and keeping a safe distance. Their kin howling came closer and closer and The Whisperer left them alone, the Elves would know soon enough that their camp was being attacked. A sliver of blue light emitted from the ground beneath Its feet. The Whisperer was calling the wolves of the mountains to It.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Meri was surprised when Thurinlass turned first to her, and even more surprised when he addressed her as 'Joy's form'. She gave a small nod when he handed her the cup, but did not smile. Instead her face took on an expression of astonishment and wonder. Joy's form... I'm not sure if I deserve that title... But I will try. Many in this group have seen hardships, and if I can do anything to dull their pain, I will. She looked around at the group. All of her thoughts had taken place in the space of one moment, so when she looked up from her goblet, their guide was turning to Beri.

As Thurinlass turned to her, Beri smiled shyly. She had watched with amusement her cousin's astoundment. It was a solemn and touching moment, so she did her best to bite back the grin that arose. She now wondered what words he would have for her. As she took the goblet, which was beautifully made and seemed to best fit the word 'chalice', she thought back to when she had first left the Prancing Pony in Bree with Linriel, Adonnenniel, Iellwen, Adien, and Ella. Thurinlass had mentioned a home, and at that time that was what she was searching for. But she had not thought about that for a long time now.

When Thurinlass had handed a goblet to everyone, and drained his own, Meri turned to whisper to Beri. "Crossed Paths, he said. So many people come and going, crossing and criss-crossing, I think if any of us were to write down our stories, they should call it 'A Tale of Crossed Paths'." Beri nudged her with her elbow to make her be quiet. There were still others to speak. They raised their goblets when the others did, and did their best to drain them. But it had an unusual taste, and although they had been given less wine than the others, they found they could not drink the thick, syrupy liquid all in one gulp.

As Meri sipped the mixture, she listened to first Itarildë and then Harn speak. She suddenly felt guilty. Harn did spend a lot of time with Eleniel, so at least he was not, presumably, lonely, but she and Beri had travelled with Harn for five years. And now they had spoken little to each other on this journey. They had had no part in rescuing Harn from the cells of Mirkwood, and perhaps this was why she was hesitant to talk to him, but her failing only meant that she had a right to try harder to be there for him. Perhaps we can be friends again...

She watched the smoke from the fire curling into the sky as if it desired to be part of the clouds that lingered on the edge of the horizon. The sparks were tiny points of light that looked like the stars they mingled with as they climbed higher.

Hesitantly, she turned to Thurinlass. Hoping that everyone else had said everything they wanted to, she said politely, "Thurinlass. I can't speak for the others, but I know very little of our destination. Could you..." she paused, feeling very much like the child she was. But then she had a thought. If she was indeed a child, then she might well ask for a story, as children do. "Could you tell us something about it? A small story, perhaps?" She chewed on her lip as she waited for the reply, hoping he would grant her request.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
At Linriel's word, Adonnenniel moves closer to the others. She ate what was given her, but with a sense of unease. She was unsure what she was picking up on, and thought might be in her mind. She observed the interaction between Linriel and Itarilde with interest. She could not see far into the forest, being so close to the fire where it was light.

Then Thurinlass began his toast. "Daughter of sorrows. May joy rest in your heart once more.

She nodded slowly in thanks as she accepted the goblet. She met his eyes for a moment before he turned to continue serving the others. He always knew what to say and she held onto the encouragement. She would indeed find joy again, but she must be determined to seek it, and such determination is hard to sustain.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Írimë finished off the last of the food on her plate and sighed in appreciation. "Ildë, your cooking was marvelous!" she called to her friend when she joined the group several minutes later. Linriel and Thurinlass had arrived with goblets and bottles and the older Elf began to pour the wine. He then went around and the group and presented each member with a cup and kind words. He brought the sixth cup to Itarildë. "Lady of Elrond's house." He said, and bowed low, "May you possess the beauty of your great grandmother Elwing, and the noble doom of your great Grand-sire Eärendil." He bowed and handed Itarildë the cup.

Írimë beamed over at her friend - Itarildë certainly deserved such noble words. She reflected back on all the stories she had heard back in Imladris of Itarildë's brave acts through the years. She was still pondering when Thurinlass approached her, bearing a goblet. "Maid surpassingly fair." Írimë looked up in wonder as he bowed low. "May all of Arda reflect your beauty." He bowed again and handed her the goblet, then moved on to the next member of the party. His words had stirred a long forgotten memory within her heart...

"Ada, what do you think of my new dress? Do I look beautiful?" She twirled around, swishing the soft blue fabric about her ankles.

"You look like a queen!" He bowed deeply to her. "But Daughter, the dress does not make you beautiful, you are the one who makes that dress look beautiful." She giggled as he picked her up by the waist and spun her through the air. After a moment he set her down and smoothed the hair that looked so much like his own. "There you are, Maiden of Surpassing Beauty. Someday soon I will have to fight off the hoards of suitors that will come seeking your hand. But for now you are all mine." He sat down and pulled her onto his knee. "Now, would you like to sing with me?" His deep voice resonated through her as she leaned on his chest and sang with him...

Írimë found herself staring down at the smooth liquid in her cup.
Though she had always preferred herbal teas over the stronger beverage, she did not want to appear impolite and so tried a small sip. This was much better than what she had had in the past.

Itarildë was speaking now. "I'd like to thank you all for accepting me into your company. I hope we all become friends, and endure many great adventures together."

Írimë met her friend's gaze and smiled, mouthing the words, "You did well," before speaking up herself. "I am in full agreement with Itarildë. Never have I felt so welcome as with this group. Thank you all for your great kindness to this lowly handmaiden." She looked around at all the faces with a warm smile. "There is one person who was not mentioned in the toast. If it please you all I would like to propose a toast to our leader, Thurinlass." Approaching him, she refilled his cup. "Firstborn of our people, possessor of all the noble qualities you have named here to us," here she bowed to him, "May your strength never waver, may your sword be ever sharp, and may your heart ever overflow with the same joy you give to others. Wise leader and friend to us all, I salute you!" She bowed her head in respect and returned to her seat quietly.

After a brief interlude one of the young cousins requested Thurinlass to tell of Cuiviénen. "I agree," Írimë said. "It would give me great joy to hear of the wondrous lake beneath the stars where you awoke. After that would it be possible to perhaps sing together for a little while? I brought my small harp with me." She stood and quietly slipped away to retrieve her instrument from the saddlebag. Her horse neighed in greeting as the Elf approached, but she detected a bit of nervousness in the sound. "You sense that presence too." The maiden kept her tone even and conversational, though the hair on her neck bristled as she felt eyes on her. Whipping around and facing whatever-it-was appealed to her, though she knew that would be unwise.

Trying to act natural, she slipped her harp bag over one shoulder and turned around, knife in hand. Expecting to see some horrible monster lunge for her, eyes red and mouth foaming, she was unnerved to find only darkness. A cold breeze brushed past her cheek, and she heard a whisper. The words were inaudible, brushing on the edge of her consciousness just long enough to deliver their basic meaning before fading away. Fear.

A chill ran up and down her back. The white hand holding the knife shook a little as she scanned the surrounding brush and trees, trying to pierce the deep shadows with her eyes. Nothing. At least nothing that could be seen. "Whatever you are," she whispered tremblingly, "You have no business here. What reason have you to haunt our steps? I know you mean us harm, but I beg of you to leave us in peace."
With great strength of will, she turned her back on the darkness. If it wanted to kill her it could easily have done so already. She sang softly as she buckled on her double swords,

"May light and love watch over us,
May peace guard our path.
Come and grant strength to stand,
Protect us from all hate and wrath."

Glancing warily around once more, the maiden returned to the circle of light. She sat next to Itarildë and leaned over to whisper, "Something is out there. It is very large and very dark, an ancient evil. I felt the fear it spoke into my mind, but I could not see what it was. There was only darkness." The thought of being surrounded by evil creatures in the night terrified her, and she clutched the hilt of her large knife for reassurance.

[Edited on 06/03/2015 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel raised her goblet to Thurinlass and nodded before she drank the sweet liquid within. As always, his wine is delightful. She looked at the Firstborn Elf and wondered how many more adventures they would share.

She smiled at Meri's request that Thurinlass tell a story. Yes, a story would be good this night

Linriel noticed the fire was getting a little low and she put her wine goblet down. She stood up and stretched and said to no one in particular, "The fire burns low. I will get some more wood. With that, she started to walk down the narrow path leading into the forest.

As always, she loved the forest at night. She looked to the sky and the moon overhead shone it's bright light on her face. She could not help but think how her hair has been likened to the colour of moonlight. Linriel pulled her hair back with a silver clasp and began to gather nearby branches.

She sensed something was amiss so she stopped for a moment and looked around. Suddenly, without warning, she was grabbed from behind. The branches dropped from her hands as she was pulled away. A hand was clamped over her mouth and her arms were pinned to her sides so she could not get to her dagger. She quickly realized she could not fight whatever it was that held her so she stopped struggling to give herself time to think.

I must decide what to do. If I break free and the creature comes after me I must try to warn the others. Maybe I can bite this hand that is over my mouth. Linriel managed to get her mouth open and brought her teeth down hard on the fingers of her attacker. A muffled curse was heard and she was let go long enough for her to reach down and draw her dagger. Linriel held tightly to her dagger and spun around, not sure what she was going to see.

The sight that met her eyes was enough to almost make Linriel drop her weapon but she held onto it as she stumbled back. Before her stood a tall shadow, big and looming in the dark. It did not advance towards her but stayed where it was. Linriel was not sure what to do. Attack? Run? Scream? If I scream and the creature kills me, at least there will be a chance that my friends would hear me and prepare to defend themselves. Linriel backed up a bit more and just as she was about to scream, the moon peeked between the branches and cast light on the creature's head. A golden glow surrounded it's head almost like a halo. A familiar golden glow. For just a moment Linriel thought her eyes were playing tricks on her and she raised her dagger.

"Linriel. Linriel, my beloved. Do not be afraid, I will not hurt you." The shadow moved towards her and stepped into a small patch of moonlight. She knew who it was then. She knew who it was before her eyes believed it.

"Bildarion!"

He was at her side quickly. "Linriel, there is no time to explain. We must hurry back to the camp. Something stalks one of your party. They must be warned."

[Edited on 06/03/2015 by Lindarielwen]
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Itarildë looked around and noticed that Linriel had been gone quite some time gathering wood for the fire.

"Linriel has been gone a while, I'm going to see if she needs help," Itarildë spoke aloud, heading into the forest. Her hand itched by the side of one of her daggers subconciously, but she made sure not to grab it in front of the others; it may have given the wrong impression of her intentions.

Ildë headed into the dark woods, using her senses to track Linriel's trail.

Something definitely wasn't right, but Itarildë ignored it. Linriel was nowhere to be seen, but a tell-tale pile of wood was before her on the ground. Ildë's hand reached for the dagger, and just as she did, she heard sharp whispering voices in the foreground.

She headed towards the voices, hoping Linriel was alright. She knew the Elf was able to hold her own, but that uneasy feeling had been felt by many in the camp.

Ildë moved forward and chanced upon an interesting sight. In the foreground, Linriel's wrist was being held by a golden-haired Elf, and she didn't look all too happy about it, judging by the raised dagger in her free hand.

"Linriel, are you alright?" Itarildë spoke, with as much authority as she could muster, her hand on her own dagger's hilt, in warning.
Image Image
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Thurinlass smiled wide when Írimë came a toasted him, it was a kindly gesture, and now they wished to have stories told and fellowship bye the fire! But something had been weighing heavily on his mind, though he made no sign. In the beginning it was remote, far off, a mere nagging. He thought perhaps it was only drawing closer to Mirkwood, and Dol Guldur. But now it was at hand. A shadow among shadows, a menace and a hatred about them. The trees harbored mistrust and ill will for them. The branches swayed hardily in the frail wind as if to warn them. He gazed to and fro scanning the night, analyzing the sounds, smells, and sights.

When Thurinlass returned to himself some had gone to get wood, and this disturbed him. Quickly he went and retrieved his silver bow and his quiver of arrows. When he returned to the company he spoke sternly, yet without fear. "Yes, storied indeed." He said, "But ere we hear any, we must make one of our own! Gather around the fire close now, and draw what weapons you have. I have brought two swords for any unarmed of us. Feed the fire with all we have left to us, and stand facing outwards. There is an evil here I can no longer abide. I would have it drawn out to us!" He turned to the woods and, taking a few long strides to it he called as a general calling troops, "Linriel! Itarildë! Come out now!" He did not fear for them. The shadow was upon his mind, not his heart. Not yet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel did not realize she still held her dagger raised and ready to strike. She felt frozen in time. There were so many questions waiting to be asked but she sensed the urgency in Bildarion's voice. He took her by her wrist and made ready to lead her back to the camp when there stood Itailde, hand on the hilt of her dagger.

"Itarilde! All is well. We must hurry back to camp. There is indeed, something amiss as we thought." Linriel pulled her wrist from Bidarion's grasp. "This is Bidarion, he has come to warn us of impending danger. We must get to the others."

A look of frustration crossed Bildarion's face as Linriel drew away from him. I will do everything I can to get her to trust me again. I must try to make her see that my actions were for the good of all. I want her to love me again.

The three Elves started to run back to the camp when a voice was heard calling for the two maids. "It is Thruinlass,calling for us," said Linriel. She shouted "Thurinlass we are coming." They ran in the darkened woods until they reached the camp.

Bidarion went straight to Thurinlass. They spoke quietly to each other as Linriel moved to her belongings and drew out the sword that served her so well. "My friend, it has been a long time since we faced evil together. I must believe this night will not be the last of our journey."

[Edited on 06/04/2015 by Lindarielwen]
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Itarildë, despite Linriel's words, mistrusted the Elf named Bildarion, but she would take her new companion's word as reassurance. As they headed back to camp, Itarildë went to her beloved bow and arrow.

"I'm sorry, my friend, it seems I am once more in need of your protection," she whispered to her bow. She stood alongside Eleniel and Linriel. From the corner of her eye, she saw Írimë and an understanding look was exchanged between them.

Itarildë may have seemed to others as young, but she had seen horrors in the past, on previous journeys, and she was loathe to relive them. She was older than she looked, and her senses were on high-alert. She'd known all along something was amiss. Her ears burned as she listened intently into the silence of the forest.

Bildarion spoke with Thurinlass, and Linriel also retrieved her own weapon.

Itarildë decided to make some light of the situation, uncharacteristically. "It seems Linriel, we will get to 'hunt' together this night after all."

[Edited on 06/05/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Even as he spoke to Thurinlass, Bildarion was able to see what Linriel was doing. A slight smile crossed his lips as he watched her draw the heavy sword from her pack. That sword is too big for her but she wields it as I showed her. Two hands. She will fight bravely as she always does. He closed his eyes briefly as he asked silently for the Valar to protect them all.

Linriel stood next to Itarilde and her eyes scanned the trees. All was still. She could not contain a smile as Itarilde spoke. "It seems meat will be back on the menu," she replied.

Linriel gripped the hilt of her sword with two hands as she stole a glance at Bildarion. His golden hair reminded her of the summer sun. So he is back. But for how long? He must make time to speak to Eleniel before he leaves again like he always does.

Her hands tightened once again on her sword. Her eyes met Bildarions. We will stand together this one night, at least

A lone wolf howled deep in the forest. Soon it was joined by others.

[Edited on 06/04/2015 by Lindarielwen]
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Adonnenniel tried to relax but was finding that very difficult. When Thurinlass retrieved his bow, she tensed, something was wrong indeed, perhaps her mind was not so clouded as she thought. She moved close to the fire as the others got their weapons. As Linriel and Itarilde returned, she looked with surprise at Bildarion. This seemed the lat place she expected him to turn up, but then he was full of mystery, much of which even Lindiel did not seem to know about.

As the others drew their weapons, Adonnenniel wanted to disappear. She felt like a liability, she could not defend herself or others. Thurinlass had extra swords, but she could not wield it. She huddled against a log, wishing she could melt into the ground and hide from danger.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn whistled for Ithil as he stood on the outskirts of the grazing horses. She trotted up to him tossing her head nervously. He unbuckled his sword and patted her nose. The Elves and horses sensed something he could not, an evil, but all he could feel was the black of night. He must trust to their senses. Returning to the fire, he sat down with his drawn blade. There was a new Elf there, no, he knew this Elf. The memory surged from the past, this was Eleniel's father and Linriel's lover! What was he doing here? Suddenly a horse's scream broke the tense wait of the company. Two yellow eyes were the only tell of a large wolf among the horses.

~~**~~**~~**~~

Bloodlust was too hasty, so It recalled the other two, sending them back to It's camp. Blue light sprang from the Whisperer's fingertips as it picked another head to haunt with fear. It picked the maid who had challenged it in the woods. It recalled the words spitefully,

"May light and love watch over us,
May peace guard our path.
Come and grant strength to stand,
Protect us from all hate and wrath."

A blue light wafted upwards, invisible words intertwining in it, the black air swallowing it up.
"Darkness and vile haunt your path
Protection is ripped away
Night shall take you
One by one
You think you are brave and strong
But you have not met Fear yet"

[Edited on 06/04/2015 by Cenor]
<< First4748495051Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email