Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Online or In Store?
on: August 05, 2013 11:08
So, I was wondering, what with the upcoming release of the Extended Edition of The Hobbit, if you prefer to do your shopping online over Amazon or eBay, or actually going to the store and picking it up. This goes for anything, not just The Hobbit Post away!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I never order anything by mail. I always want to see what I am getting before I buy it. I no longer order from eBay either. I was tired of getting things that were not as described and then had to take my time and money to send it back. Nope, I want to see what I am buying. I want to hold it in my hand before I spend my money. I will be first in line to get the extended edition of The Hobbit. At Walmart..
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I buy everything with the exception of books in store. I buy my books on Amazon, just cause they are cheaper than if you would go to Barnes and Noble.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lady_of_Darkness
Council Member
Send Message
I usually pre-order my movies at my local bookstore, but since I got a couple of $50.00 gift cards from Walmart for my birthday, I'll be buying the Extended Edition at Walmart. Which version I get depends on whether I can afford to upgrade to Blu-ray, since I'll also have to buy a 3D TV. I'll either be getting the 5-disc 3D combo pack Blu-ray (which also includes the 2D version) or the 5-disc DVD.

I order online all the time. I just got the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey T-Shirt I ordered on eBay in the mail today. It's a group picture containing Thorin, Gandalf and Bilbo (the same picture as on the group poster, but with fewer characters). What I like about eBay is that they give you the option to pay from your bank account. I also have an Amazon account, but since I don't have a credit card, I have to buy a lot of hard to find items on eBay.

[Edited on 08/06/2013 by Lady_of_Darkness]
In the darkness you could hear the crying of women, the wailing of infants, and the shouting of men. Some prayed for help. Others wished for death. But still more imagined that there were no Gods left, and that the universe was plunged into eternal darkness. - Pliny the Younger, A.D. 79.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hm, I never realized that about eBay. But i havent bought anything from there in awhile.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I buy all of my books and most of my movies on amazon simply because they are normally cheaper than the stores, even Wal-mart. Most of my books I buy used so I guess that doesn't really count. But with movies, I will normally check prices of store vs. online and go with whichever is cheapest. Almost always it is amazon though. I won't buy movies or anything else that is easily faked on ebay though.

Lady of Darkness, you can use your bank account or bank debit card on amazon. I don't have a credit card either and I buy from there all the time.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
My question concerns shipping charges. For example, how much is shipping for just one movie? Also, it if is defective, do you have to pay to ship it back and then pay to have a new one sent back to you?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I have never had a defective movie but as with other defective items (from amazon itself not their marketplace sellers) I am sure you'd get a return authorization label to send it back. Now if you just decided you didn't want it you'd probably have to pay the return shipping.
As for shipping most items have free shipping if you spend $25 or more and no sales tax unless you live in the state they ship from as with any other online retailer. If you item doesn't qualify for the free ship, a single movie is about $4.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I've never had to return a movie either. But I think you do need to pay return shipping if you need to send it back. I don't know, but it's something to look into.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for the information, Dolwen.

My mind goes back to when I bought the boxed set of the trilogy. A disc was missing! I was happy all I had to do was go back to Walmart. If something could go wrong with an item, it is always the one that I buy so for me, I would rather just shop in a store. I know online shopping gives you better opportunites to get things that you cannot get in a store. eBay has such a vast amount of unique items.

wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I generally buy things online, but I would buy them in stores if I had more money, to stop stores shutting down...
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Used to buy hard-to-get English books and the odd DVD on Amazon, but have gone back to store buying (we do have much to select from, so that helps).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Shipping costs so much now if you want to buy one cheaper, relatively inexpensive item on Amazon, like a violin mute. The mute was less than five dollars and the shipping was 7! No, thank you, I will drive up to the music store up the street for that.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email