Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post Announcements, Suggestions & Feedback
on: August 06, 2013 04:32
I will be using this thread to keep everybody informed about what is happening in the Games Forum.

I have just been appointed Mod of the forum and will be going through all of the threads to see what needs to be done. The most obvious thing will be restarting the threads that have more than 750 posts.

Don’t worry: I won’t be making massive changes, as I’m a firm believer in the adage: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Having said that, any games that are obvious non-starters, or have not been visited in a year will be removed. If it’s one of your games, you will be notified by PM.

I will also be reviewing and revising the “topped” threads which state the various rules and regulations. Hopefully, I can be a bit more succinct and incorporate them into one thread, instead of the three. You will notice I have removed the three topics: Games Suggestions, Closing Threads & Machine-gun Posting. The latter will become part of the Game Rules section, and the other two will be incorporated into this thread.

I’m looking forward to being a part of this active forum and interacting with all of its awesome members.

Please feel free to post comments and game suggestions in this thread, or, if you prefer, you can PM me anytime.

Evil~Shieldmaiden
(Please feel free to call me ES .... everybody else does!)

[Edited on 08/08/2013 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
What should we do when two people post at the same time? Which post do we answer?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
The site seems a wee bit slow loading posts these days which I think is responsible for the double-posting. If two people post simultaneously, the first of the two posts is the one that should be answered by the next person.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Good news! Rosearialelven has kindly moved the Dragon Eggspedition from the Green Dragon Inn to the Games Forum. Enjoy!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I received the following PM from Mareth, who has kindly given me permission to post it in this thread. Following her message, is my reply.

Hiay,

Okay. I’m gonna get right to the point. I’m not one to complain about challenge, but in the DE the Orcs are just a little unrealistic. They have really good hearing, they’re camp is protected by a secrete spell, they’re getting reinforcements, they are fairly smart. We have eight people, a dragon, a horse, and a dog. We don’t have spell, only half of us know how to fight…it’s just a little unfair. Would you possibly we kind enough to lighten our load, even just a little? It you don’t want, that’s fine. It would be nice though.

Thanks,
Mareth

Hi Mareth,

Actually, there’s nothing in the canon that doesn’t say they have good hearing. Since they’re only a scouting party, they have been protected by Sauron because you have a dragon; I would say that more than evens the odds. Unless, of course, you think a dragon can’t take on a horde of orcs. As for being smart, it’s relative. The leader is, of course, smarter than the rest, but, exactly how smart remains to be seen. The others, well, not so much. As for reinforcements, it’s in keeping with what a small scouting party would do if they’re going to be attacked; besides, who says Sauron will actually send them. As for being fair, they’re evil ……. since when, has evil been equated with fairness.

I think I’ve thrown a spanner in the works and you guys are totally unprepared for it. I get the impression, everybody thought they would just toddle along and collect the eggs, without opposition. Well, that’s not in keeping with the theme of Tolkien’s work, which is always good vs evil.

I’ve changed the tenure of the game that’s all and, being one of the corrupted faction, that’s my prerogative.

With your permission, I would like to post your comment and my response in the Announcement/Suggestions/Feedback thread.

ES
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

HAPPY AUTUMN/FALL! I hope everybody enjoys the season.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, I love the little tree with falling leaves! This is my favourite time of year and since we really don't get Winter in Florida, the season of Autumn lasts 6 months and that makes me happy....great job as mod Evil~Shieldmaiden!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so much for the wishes, Evil~Shieldmaiden. May your Christmas be merry and may the New Year bring you good health, laughter and memories to always treasure.

~~~Lindarielwen~~~
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Happy New Year to all my fellow Game fanatics! I hope its happy, healthy and prosperous.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
H E L L O, there are some nice games on pages two (and even a couple on page three) which are just waiting for you to push them up to No. one on page one. Get with it, kids!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
There is a game called Whats wrong with me? and it hasn't been played by to many people. I suggest people should have ago at it.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Sorry I was AWOL for a week or so. I got blasted by a nasty virus which has finally passed.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Aw, I know this is late, but thank you for the kind wishes, E~S.

Also, this has not happened to me yet, nor anyone else that I know of, but what should we do if we feel strangely about answering a question or prediction in one of the Games? Should we just not post?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

Sorry, I'm slightly off schedule right now as the hockey playoffs are on and my team, the Montréal Canadiens, are in the playoffs. So far so good, we're 2-0 in games and heading back to Montréal for the next two games. I just a wee bit distracted .... LOL

Anyway, have wonderful Easter weekend with family and friends.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey Maxie

I think if you are not comfortable answering a question or prediction then just skip it and go on to the next one. There are some I do not answer.

E~S, I think your hockey team beat the Tampa Bay Lightning...haha
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Lindarielwen. I wasn't sure, because I cam across one and didn't know how to respond to it politely. I did skip it.

E~S, at least your team made it to the playoffs! The Sabres never had a chance this year, LOL.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Sorry, maxie, in my excitement over the Habs progressing to the next round, I overlooked your question. Lindarielwen is absolutely correct. You're not under any obligation to answer any questions that you find difficult from a personal perspective.

I find I tend to skip a number of the threads, some with more regularity than others, either because I find them frankly tedious, or because I'm not in a position to reply to the previous poster.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:
Also, this has not happened to me yet, nor anyone else that I know of, but what should we do if we feel strangely about answering a question or prediction in one of the Games? Should we just not post?

Of course ignore something you feel strange about answering.

Like, I'm not going near your "eat worm or spider" question with a ten-foot pole!
Took it as an inspiration for my simililar question in the other thread, just turned the whole who-eats-whom scenario on its head!

On a more general theme, as I have complained in an earlier post, I'm shocked to find posts of mine in the Games Forum still showing up on page 1 on the day after I posted them. C'mon, kids, you can do better than this against G(r)and(ad)olorin.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry, Gando.

I do my best to visit CoE a bit each day. I will make it my personal goal to abolish your posts from the day before when I get into the thread.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

I hope all the Canucks who can be found wandering in this Forum have a wonderful holiday weekend.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
There are games on pages two and three - *sigh* Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry, Gando. E~S, the threads on page four that are rarely frequented, or old, should we bump those up? OR do you have plans to delete them?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Some of the games on page three have been dormant for almost a year. Have you looked at other forum topics? So many have not been commented on since 2005. It might be fun to comment on the last thread on the last page of every topic. It would keep us busy for years.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That it would be. And it would be interesting to see everything that had gone on when most of us were not here.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Funny you should be talking about this subject. I will be doing a thread clean-up in September and will be deleting the dormant threads. I will PM those members whose threads have been deleted, advising them of same.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hmm, we all seem to be mentally connected. Just kidding. A clean up would do some good for sure.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, dearest Mod.

Just a thought...if someone forgets to post the next *question* how about if the next person answers the previous one? This will let the game continue without having to wait.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Sounds good to me. Any objections?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Wishing all the Canadian players, a very happy holiday!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I must confess: I have been very slack about enforcing the machine gun posting rule in this Forum. Starting November 1st, I will ensure that the rule is followed. Essentially what it means is that there must be a two hour gap between posts in any of the games threads.

The rule is clearly posted in the "Games Rules" section of the Forum. Please familiarize yourselves with all of the rules, not only for the Games Forum, but for the site as well.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The two hour gap rule is a rule that you made last night. It is not a site rule.

The site rule is this...11) Please refrain from “machine gun posting” which is posting several posts in a very short period.

What defines a *short period*? 10 minutes? 30? 60? It is not specified and therefore should be amended to clearly state the time frame. I do not think two hours is a short period.

I also think it is not up to one person to decide on what is a rule. New rules should be made by more than one person, a committee if you will.

I feel that your rule is unfair to the less than 20...less than 10.. of us who play the Games and I ask you to reconsider.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Wait, is this in each thread? Like, I post in The Predictions Game and I can't touch that for two hours, or I can't touch any of the Games for two hours?

I seem to agree with Lindarielwen on this. There is a friendly competition and air of competitive fun when we step into this forum.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email