Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, Maxie! I cannot speak for our Mod, but you can play all the Games but cannot play the same one again for 2 hours.

I agree with you, Maxie, playing the Games back and forth with each other is fun. The other night, however, 3 of us kept overlapping posts but we were laughing and having a jolly time. The time it took us to play was about 18 minutes. We stopped after several posts. What harm was there? No one else was around except the 3 of us. It's not like the Games have a waiting list.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Or, maybe, if there is more than one person playing, you can add on, "TSAM has four lines for Lindarielwen" or something of the like.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I just realized that AM and PM are not on the post times...so posting at 1:30AM and then posting again at 2:00PM, leads one to think there was only a 30 min. gap between posts. Both of those posts would have been made on the same day so checking the date would be of no help.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I sincerely apologize for upsetting members who enjoy this Forum by arbitrarily setting a time frame limit between postings in threads.

Rules should be clear stated: ergo, I think it prudent to define the term "machine gun posting", since it is prohibited by the Games Forum rules, but not defined.

After reading your concerns and comments, for which I thank you, and mulling things over, I decided polling members regarding an acceptable gap between posts would be the best way to proceed. Hopefully, as a community, we will be able to define the term to the majority's satisfaction.

As to your concern, Lindarielwen, I recognize the problem: prior to the change-over, a twenty-four hour clock was used by the site. Since most players post well outside even the two-hour limit, I don't anticipate that it will be much of an issue, although there may be times when clarification will be needed by contacting a player.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Dearest Mod, you know I appreciate all you do to keep the Games Forum on an even keel.

It surprises me, sometimes, that there are so few of us who play. It is a great place to meet up with friends and have some laughs. More than once, I have laughed out loud at someone's post. (yours included) And after the laughter, the brain starts to think, the fingers start to type...hence a rapid fire post. This does not happen with all the games. I usually go down the row, play, turn the page, and then work my way back to the top. Some games take longer to play...Three Magic Words, for instance

Anyway, let's go play some games!

Sundown
Council Member
Send Message
E~S,

I do not envy your job of moderating the forum. I commend your willingness to listen and mull over the topic of machine gun posting. I would like to provide my three cents worth (I had to add a cent due to inflation).
Right now, there are about a half dozen individuals who post in the games forum. With the varying time zones it is impossible for us all to be on at the same time. I ask that as you think over this topic you consider the following elements.
This is a game forum. As such, I assume, it is a place for us to interact and have fun with the others here in the forum. Personally, I find having to wait two hours to interact takes away the fun.
I know that getting a lot of posts to review is a difficult thing for you to have to read through everything. What would happen if we had 100 active game thread posters? Would you extend the time to limit the number of posts you have to read? On a personal note, I stumbled on this site looking for something LOTR related for my wife's birthday at the end of next month. I plan to ask her to join. My son plans to join. Since I have kept this a secret from her, I have also kept it a secret from others as well whom I think might like the site. Maybe it'll bring another half dozen or more contributors. Would the offending times between posts be a problem if there were a half dozen folks posting between those times?

This part of your message concerned me because I do not feel like the time between the messages would have been a problem IF there were half a dozen posters contributing. It makes me wonder how much is too much for you and what would happen if you stopped the forums because of it. I promise you, if I see something completely unsuitable, then you will be getting a message from me right away. As I am sure others here would do as well. You do have support in this as we all love your forum and want it to be true to its intent. To have fun.
With all that said, I would like you to consider what "machine gun posting" is intended to stop. It is to prevent an individual, or group, who use rapid postings to prevent others from participating in the forum. While, the latest incident could have been perceived as such I contend that it wasn't simply because we don't have a large group of posters in the forum and it was just two people (1/3rd of our active posters)having fun with the game.
Would you consider this to be a problem if 4 or 5 people were posting back and forth, in turn, on a game? If not, then would you consider limiting the number of posts between 2 -3 people within a set time frame? Something like no more than 5 posts per person in within an hour on a game thread, unless four or more are participating, in turn?
I think something like that would allow the rare times two of us are together to have some fun without destroying the thread and yet it still gives a stopping point so it won't get out of hand.

- thanks,
the Cowboy
"Sundown: 'Sexy, right?' Abby: 'Oh yeah, baby. You're so hot right now, if I was a chicken I'd lay hard-boiled eggs.'" ― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Retribution
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
First of all, let me say: Thank you, Sundown, for taking the time to think about, and respond to the issues that have been raised in the Forum. Your response, and suggestions, are exactly the kind of input that I'm am looking for, and appreciate.

Let me address some of your concerns:

Personally, I find having to wait two hours to interact takes away the fun.
On thinking a lot more about the time element, I'm inclined to agree with you that two hours is way too long and that a time limit may be unnecessary. However, I do want to ensure that members who are not part of a "group" do not feel excluded from threads, and I think the suggestion you put forth in the following paragraph is well-worth considering to prevent this from occurring.

...... would you consider limiting the number of posts between 2 -3 people within a set time frame? Something like no more than 5 posts per person in within an hour on a game thread, unless four or more are participating, in turn?
I'm open to further suggestions on this comment.

What would happen if we had 100 active game thread posters?
The Valar willing: we will have 100 active game thread posters; in which case there would be additional Mods, of course.

Maybe it'll bring another half dozen or more contributors. Would the offending times between posts be a problem if there were a half dozen folks posting between those times?
I hope you do bring another half dozen, or more, contributors. Newcomers are always welcome! And no, it would not be a problem if a half dozen people were posting during the same period of time, except we may end up with more simposts .

It makes me wonder how much is too much for you and what would happen if you stopped the forums because of it.

Trust me: I am working nowhere near my capacity. As for stopping the forums, I have neither have the authority to do so, nor do I wish to do so. If anything, I'm hoping to revamp the Entertainment Forum (if we ever get our Admin/Mod authorities sorted out) and expand what we have now.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, it seems to me this whole thing is getting rather silly. Three of us played back and forth for less than a half hour, around midnight, and now there is this big deal about limits and times and groups and blocking. And what of this *blocking*? Does anyone even think we would try to keep someone from playing??? My goodness. I could understand if this occurred all the time but it never even comes close. I have played these games long before we even had a Games Mod. There were never any issues.

And there are no *groups* here. Just the same members who play. How many? Let's see. Cenor, Maxie, Gando, Dearest Mod and myself play mostly every day. Sundown, tarcolan, and MrPanda39 play a little and there are a sprinkling of others. (Sorry if I left anyone out) This site has over 130,000 members. The Gamers make up less than .00001% of that membership.

This thing is getting waaaaaay too complicated. Keep it simple. Let's just play.

[Edited on 10/24/2014 by Lindarielwen]
Sundown
Council Member
Send Message
Linda, I'm sorry but with all due respect to the E~S I do not believe the issue is what happened between you and the other posters at midnight. I believe the question here is what is "Machine Gun Posting". It just happens that the rapid posting between you and Cenor sparked the conversation. I really hope you do not take it personally. Let's just address how we are going to define "Machine Gun Posting" as a group. That should be our focus right now.

As mentioned, I appreciate E~S attempt to put a vote for a time. But at midnight when only two are here even 10 minutes can seem like a long time, which is why I made the suggestion I did to limit the number of posts a person can make in a time frame, unless there is a large enough group posting (4 or more).

I do want to move on from what happened - that is something that should be forgotten (But, cannot be if it keeps getting brought up). Let's just move on to define what we want to claim is an over posting or machine-gun posting; whatever it's called.
"Sundown: 'Sexy, right?' Abby: 'Oh yeah, baby. You're so hot right now, if I was a chicken I'd lay hard-boiled eggs.'" ― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Retribution
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Sundown, the few posts between the other players and myself is what sparked this whole thing. Machine gun posting is never played on the games....go back and look, find me some machine gun posting.

By the time this is over, we will be given timers and a rule book...let's see...3 players, page 7...oh no, more are playing...page 15...

My double and triple posts on Games cause more of an issue than the so-called machine gun posting.

I am done with this. Whatever Dearest Mod declares is fine with me.

All of you who know me, know that I love it here and I love all of you. Off I go to play some games...oops, no one here but me.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
You know what? Machine gun posting has been done on the Games...by another player and myself, way back in February. We were pulling an allnighter and started to play the Games. Back and forth we went. The hour was late...no one was on this whole site except us. We played for hours. One, two, three in the morning. We had such fun. How we laughed.

End of story. The Games we played have long been restarted. It never happened again. And never will.
Sundown
Council Member
Send Message
Haven't you been told to Never say Never?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I admit to machine gunning a few times myself in the past, but now that there has been all of this discussion on it, it will be rare to happen again, if it happens at all.

[Edited on 10/28/2014 by findemaxam48]
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Sundown
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I knew what she meant.
What happens when the next group of new people come in to play games? How will they know this rule? If folks like Linda who have been here a long time don't understand it.
That is why the point of this topic is to discuss what machine gun posting is. It may not be what folks were reprimanded for in the past and that very activity may be allowed if we can conform to a decision here.
Do you really think that what they did should not be allowed?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
None of you know what I meant.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Apologies, mellon. I have edited my post.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Lindarielwen said: None of you know what I meant.
Please enlighten us so that we do understand your point.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, Maxie, you are a dear and sweet friend. No apologies are needed, mellon.

I am sorry for the cryptic post. The person I played games with is no longer on this plane.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Sorry I haven't been around for the last three days but I've been down with the flu. I'm feeling a bit better today and hope to catch up on the threads then. My apologies to the HHS group. I do have my "penance" ready but haven't uploaded it yet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I hope you are feeling better dearest Mod. You are missed! And with all my double posts, you will have plenty to do when you get back.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
The Lady of Light rules!

In regards to HHS, I think some kind of time limit should be put on the "smaugs" I would say one week. Any more than that and it becomes a nuisance, especially when the "smaug" is to post a phrase in each of your games forum posts. For example I had to edit this post to put in my "Smaug" from Nimmwen, because I forgot. Drat

I have been guilty of giving a larger time limit then I would care to receive myself, however I have recently felt the pain of this inhumane cruelty. Make it stop, please.

[Edited on 01/09/2015 by PSK]
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
It's funny you should bring this topic up, PSK because I was thinking about the confusion as well. I will post something in the thread and everybody can let me know what they think about my proposal.

Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
The time limit could be until Morgoth breaks out of the Void lol
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
This is not a topic for mockery. Many have perished at the hands of the HHS-ers.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with you PSK a week time limit should be the maximum.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Any other thoughts on the time limit for HHS penalties?
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I haven't personally played on the HHS thread myself, but I've noticed that the penalties are quite long and cumbersome on signatures! It seems like fun, but to make it a bit more manageable, especially for newbies like me who may want to join in, a week would seem a little less taxing!
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, and I am very glad that at last it has been topped. Now I know if I have been smauged for the sixth time (I am currently serving 5 smaugs)

The Lady of Light rules! (a smaug)
Morgoth has arachnophobia! (another smaug, you see my situation?)
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Has TAAM been removed?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Yes it was accidentally deleted ...... Image but I have restarted it.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, you got me sitting here laughing! I thought I was goofy and went over all the pages at least 5 times before I finally came to the conclusion that it was gone!

A good laugh is a good thing
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
It's funny because I was restarting another thread and thought I had deleted the old thread. When I went back to the Forum the old thread was still there and I knew I had deleted some other thread by mistake but couldn't, for the life of me, figure out which one.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, so once something is deleted that's it? No fail safe? Undo?
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
What happened to HHS?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think it is not longer the top of the forum. It is mixed in.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email