Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post When did you first become a fan?
on: August 26, 2013 05:33
So, tell us all about the time you fell in love with LOTR
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I borrowed Fellowship of the Ring from the library just before Return of the King was released. I watched it and thought I should watch it again..and again..and again. Then I found out there were books!! Oh, joy! That was it for me, I was hooked.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thats so intersting! Did you see FotR and just think it was intesting, or did someone mention to you that the movie was good, or...?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
I think I read all the books in 8th grade, and I didn't fully understand them at the time. i read them again in high school twice over, but I was never allowed to watch the movies until I turned 16 and my dad borrowed the extended editions from a friend at work. I fell in love, with everything. With Middle Earth. With the characters. With the languages. I've been head-over-heels for Middle Earth since. And still some part of me wants to believe that it is a real place, and that I can travel to it some day when I'm weary of the troubles of this world and I want to live forever in Tolkien's fantasy.

I'm sorry I'm sounding like an old person. But you get my point
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, goodness, what is an old person?

I thought that by the cover of the FotR it looked liked something I would enjoy.

When I walk around the little lake in the early morning and it is foggy, I fancy myself being in Middle-earth. I hear a splash in the water and think it is the Watcher. I hear crows and think they are the Crebain. It is easy to put yourself in Tolkien's world.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
My roommate and I pretend we are driving through Middle Earth when come down from the mountains, it really looks a lot like it actually.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Nothing around here looks like Middle Earth There's too much city and plateaus and too few mountains, unfortunately.
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ditto to that!

I credit my obsession with LOTR to the person above me. She was telling me about Sindarin one day when I was 12 or maybe 11, and she taught me how to write the Tengwar letters. I though that was very intesting, so I read the books. Then I rented FOTR, watched it, and told lotrelessar that i wanted to learn to speak Sindarin. Needless to say, she freaked out, and gave me a website called Arwen Undomiel to look up phrases on. After that, I became obsessed with Sindarin, using all my time on the internet to Google Sindarin webpages and writing down the words into a spiral notebook. I comptelty forgot about the storyline in my frantic obsession with Tolkiens languages. And then I rented TTT, and I was in LOVE. To this day, that remains to be my favorite movie. I watched it over and over and over, and then got the EE. To this day, I love the movies. As a result, my l,ove of the langages has dwindled slightly, as I took on a non mythical language to learn, but I still love mouthing along the Sindarin in all the movies. At least I can say that i am like Tolkien: I loved the language first, and then I based my love of LOTR off of that. So a public thank you, lotrelessar, for introducing me to Middle Earth nearly five years ago
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Um...let me see. My older siblings watched the LotR movies way before I did. They would talk about it, play like they were in Middle Earth, talk about it some more. I didn't understand any of it. I first watched FotR when I was elven, and I loooovvvveeeedddd it as soon as I saw it. Later on I watched the other two. I still haven't finished reading the books. I have a couple chapters of TTT left. *sigh* I like it a lot, but it's at a depressing part right now. I will finish it sometime though. When I first joined this site I was was just like "Well, I'll join, but I'm not really in love with LotR or anything." I did like them, but it had been awhile since I had last watched the movies. When I re-watched them I freaked out over them.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Silmariel-Feanors-Child
Council Member
Send Message
It was very funny how I came to Tolkien and Middle-earth. I had just before the hobbit came to the cinemas in the night a dream about it
So it started with me , I became a true fan of Tolkien's books, since that time , Middle-earth is my second Homeland^^.

I especially love the culture of the Elves , and so I finally got the Hobbit , LotR and then the Silmarillion as an audiobook
and am now on the search for the remaining books which are still missing, because I am fire and flame for Tolkien

And now try the Elvish philosophy for my life to make for my own and to learn something of it ^ ^

Too bad it does not really exist . even if the works of Tolkien based on various myths of our world . And yes every mythology contains a grain of truth, Middle-earth still exists for me . Even if we do not see it because of Middle-earth from the Germanic mythology is nothing like the world Midgard . And Midgard is our world of yesterday and today . In this sense , we live in middle earth only in a different era and it is called differently today .

[Edited on 08/30/2013 by Silmariel-Feanors-Child]

[Edited on 09/05/2013 by Silmariel-Feanors-Child]
Light and Darkness belongs together . neither can exist without the other ! The first step will lead you mostly to the correct location but a wrong step will be your ruin quickly. ImageImage
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post When did I first became a Lord of The Rings fan?
on: February 10, 2015 07:18
Gee... how should I tell it this time???

It was the (northern hemisphere) Summer of 1975 and I was walking about with my neighbor one night. As we shared some pipeweed all rolled up in a ZigZag, he told me about this book he just read and enjoyed very much called The Hobbit. I asked what a Hobbit was, and he told me they were a fantasy care-free folk who like eating, drinking, & smoking! He loaned me the paperback while he started reading the Fellowship. Read through it and loved it, then read Fellowship Of The Ring as he had finished that book. I then read Two Towers as he had finished it. By this time I was eating the tale up, and I finished Two Towers while he had stalled a third of the way into Return of the King. After a couple weeks of bugging him about whether he finished it yet and he getting annoyed at me, I checked out an old 1957 copyright hardback Return of the King out of the library and read on through. Loved the big fold-out map that was in the back of that hardback edition, so when I returned it I checked out Fellowship and Two Towers hardbacks and started reading the Trilogy all over again!

When I checked out Return of the King the second time and finished it, I delved into the appendices and all they had to offer. Started learning the elven scripts and, lo & behold, I met Tolkien geek babe not long into my senior year in high school. We would practice our Tengwar calligraphy and pass notes to each other, and sit by the flag pole at lunch telling Middle Earth tales to each other. When they started doing some renovation work on the bus-loading zone near the flag pole, we saw they had just poured fresh curbing, so we decided to cut the class after lunch and imprint 'Friends' in Tengwar. We made a couple mistakes, but it remained in that curb until 2005 when they totally re-worked the school and dug up the curbs and flagpole.

So yeah, I was a Tolkien geek since the summer of 1975. When word got out that the Silmarillion was going to be published, we geeks were overjoyed! Went to a book release line party and got my copy! Tried to read it, and couldn't get into it at all. I finally skipped the biblic creation beginning and got into the meat of the book. It never did that much for me, and I enjoyed Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales more, but I will always come back to read the Trilogy every now and again. I think I'm up to 12 readings in 40 years. I have read it twice since the cursed PJ fanfics came out to keep MY visual interpretation of the people and places of the tale fresh.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Most likely my really becoming a fan would be about ten years after Arveleg. I had seen the Ralph Bakshi Movie and read a German translation in 1983 spring / summer. My by now rather tattered three-volume Unwin Paperbacks version is a 1984 reprint. But memory is a bit fuzzy about when exactly I bought it, so 1985 is the safest bet for my furious weekend read.
I had probably started earlier, though I again do not know if the first session was all on the Friday before.

But I remember being up around 6 AM Saturday morning (!!!!!) to continue, and ending the second session around 1 AM Sunday morning.

I can again only guess that I finished later on Sunday, somehow that 19-hour marathon on Saturday (TV Guide days went from 6 AM to 6 AM, as I believe to remember) has overwhelmed memories of the just-before and just-after reading.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I always enjoy reading stories about how everyone came to love Tolkien. Everyone has a different and a unique story about how the attraction to the books began, and then later, movies.
autistic cupcake
Council Member
Send Message
2005 or so.
What herb heals all wounds? Thyme! Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! Sprinkles are for winners
Council Member
Send Message
I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was in college. It was so thick that I almost gave up on it (I bought the one volume edition) and had to rebuy the last volume at my local used bookstore, so that I could finish it. I don't know about any of you, but I don't like to be left hanging (not knowing how it all turns out, whether I like it or not).

I didn't really get into it until Peter Jackson's movies started coming out, since then I also read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin (hardcover) and volumes 1,2,4,5 and 12 of the History of Middle-earth series. Of the above, I've only re-read The Hobbit (the last time was right before my favorite changed), and The Lord of the Rings. The former two more times, and the latter five more times.

[Edited on 03/15/2015 by Lady Oakenshield]
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I knew about LOTR for quite a long time. Once when I was very young, my aunt was watching LOTR with her friend and they didn't want me to watch it because of the death or something. After that all I wanted to do for about a week was watch it as I was so intrigued. Then some years later my english teacher who really used to like LOTR told us about it. I read the book first later that year when I was 12, and since then I have read LOTR about 4 times, the Hobbit at least twice, the Sil and lots of the other stuff at least once. Regrettably I have not yet found the time to read HoME apart from Book of Lost Tales.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Gnomie
Council Member
Send Message
I have loved all things Tolkien ever since Daddy read the Hobbit to me when I was about six. I read LOTR pretty much as soon as I could manage the old-fashioned language and long words, when I was about 9. I have read them since countless times, and have watched the movies as well. I generally like to read books before I watch movies because then you get your own visualization of what the characters look like. I have the most amazing Middle Earth living in my head, even if it exists nowhere else. I try to draw them, but they are very stubborn.
Anyway, I have only just recently read some other of the books including the Children of Hurin and the Silmarillion and love then both and can't wait to read more then to read them all over again 'pant for breath'
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I remember my cousin giving me his editions of LotR when we were about 12 so about 11 years ago now (2004), and I hadn't seen the films, mainly because my parents were never interesed in them (still aren't!). He'd found them too difficult for him to read, and said it seemed like something I would enjoy.

I started to read the first book, but never got around to finishing it. Then my mother thought I'd finished them and donated them to the local library. I subsequently forgot about them, until I was back at the same library, after having finished reading a book by Brandon Sanderson, and saw 'FotR' again. I borrowed it, and fell in love (finally!)

I watched the first after reading FotR and decided I must get the books read before watching the rest of the movies, as books are always better, and I have never looked back.

Tolkien's works hold a special place in my heart, as everyone around me knows, and most gifts I receive are in some way related to Tolkien or Star Trek! I even have a framed parchment map of Middle-Earth adorning my bedroom wall.

The editions of the books I now own look like this (including the 'Sil' and 'Unfinished Tales'); they are a little tattier than the picture (they've been read more than a few times now):

[Edited on 06/13/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email