Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Post OOC for 'From the Fog of Osgiliath'
on: September 23, 2013 06:01
It struck me today that I am in need of a nice, quiet role-play. The first for me in years! I've a general idea of which direction I'd like to start in, but the rest are details I haven't taken the time to sort out. This is very hasty on my part, but I feel an urge to begin a quality thread.

Bear with me now.

I've the idea of a mid-life crisis. Or the Middle-earth variant of it. A group of warriors, scholars, craftsmen, everymen, or what-have-you who are unsatisfied with their lives. That's where you would come in. A weary blacksmith of many winters who has grown quite tired of his daily tasks, yearning instead of adventures from old-times. Or a young woman, fresh from the infantry ranks and quite disenchanted with semi-urban life in Minas Tirith.

I'm not so worried about the specifics of characters, so feel free to go wild there as long as it stays within the bounds of Tolkien's universe. What does concern me is the setting...

Roughly 119 years in the Fourth Age, nigh on the end of King Aragorn's reign. Gondor has prospered from years of making war on the Southrons and bands of rogue orcs, as well as the taming of the North. Arnor and Gondor are massive centers for culture and economy. Edoras has expanded rapidly, as the whole of Rohan. Men of Dale have continued to settle Eastwards, overtaking lands abandoned by Dwarves as the latter takes up stronghold in the deep of the White Mountains. The forests are beginning to wane as the time of the Elves winds swiftly down. Even Mirkwood begins to dwindle back to the domain of wildlife.

It is the Age of Man. There is work to be done, money to be made, and land to claim. An entire generation has passed and with it, the sense of safety that came with Sauron's defeat.The elation from victory in the War of the Ring has long faded in the world of men and many both old and young begin to look forward as complacency begins to dissolve. Men are beginning to grow restless without the threat of a Dark Lord brimming on the horizon.

This is where our characters would come in. I'd like to start in rebuilt city of Osgiliath. I like the idea of a city with a river. Which would help bring our characters to the second city I'd like them to end up at: Annuminas. Arnor is repopulated and Annuminas rebuilt as well.

This is where things get hazy. I've only a setting in mind. I enjoy the idea of a rebuilt, but gloomy looking Osgiliath that drives (in addition to factors unknown) our native Human or immigrated Elf or Dwarf or Hobbit characters to new opportunities in the Northern Kingdom.

So it's all quite flexible and I have no real expectations as this is my first time back to CoE since the influx during the trilogy.

Let us create.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
I found the idea very interesting! I really can’t decide which character I should create. A dwarvish maiden of Erebor, with her thoughts long lost in the Misty Mountains an seeing no place as a home; or a young woman who was born in Minas Tirith but never saw anything beyond it.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
I'm glad someone does! *crickets chirping*

Both of your characters seem okay. Might be easier to integrate with the woman in Minas Tirith. Maybe she's forced to move to Osgiliath?

The possibilities are endless.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds so awesome! Can anyone join?
Please Please Please?
If I can, I would be a teenage girl working as a maid, and unsatisfied with the lack of freedom she has for being young, and a girl.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
EVERYONE CAN JOIN!!!

And it sounds like you have a very good character model already. In which case we might just start with the three of us, and add the others in later.

ALSO!
I have thought of another plot point to add in. PLAGUE! Perhaps the motivation for our characters leaving Osgiliath is a plague spreading from incoming ships on the Anduin? It is just an idea, thought it might be interesting to play out.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Great great! My young woman is daughter of the captain of the army so she's used to fight, yet she doesn't have any freedom. I'll create a profile for her. Maybe I'll edit it later. When you create the thread please tell us

Name: Scarlett
Race: Human
Weapons: Sword and dagger
Personality: Cold, wary, kind when needed
Appearance: Long straight auburn hair, pale skin and green eyes.
Family: Father: Seth (captain of Gondor)
Mother: Stella
History: Scarlett was born in Minas Tirith. Her father, Seth was the captain of Gondor’s army even though it was quite inactive due the end of the war. However, she never left the city since her father didn’t allow her to. She has fighting skills learnt from her family yet never used on real battle. Her mother, Stella is one of the humans responsible for the Healing Houses and she learnt some medicine there, too.
Scar has no friends because of her personality and she’s like a caged bird, waiting for the first opportunity to fly away.

[Edited on 09/25/2013 by Ella]
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Gonna use a standard character sheet here. I can post more information if necessary.

Name: Merenor, son of Montagna
Height: 6'2
Description: Tall, with broad, rounded shoulders and long, relatively lean limbs and musculature. Strong chin, sprouting beard and mustache, with high cheekbones and rich brown eyes underneath a neatly cut head of black hair. Darker skin tone of one who has spent many summers in the sweltering heat of Southern Gondor.
Armaments: Merenor has limited weapons training, with the exception of the short sword. He is quite skilled and has a background in close quarters combat, as is taught to all enlisted.
Brief history: Merenor spent his youth in the upper levels of Minas Tirith, courtesy of a wealthy political father. He spent the usual summers in various activities of a militaristic fashion, as did the majority of boys. After a brief education with city scribes, the young Merenor was enlisted into the Guard. His tenure was swift, raucous, and renowned. He was not a man of patience in his early years and took orders poorly. Despite these drawbacks, Merenor learned quickly. Tactics quickly became second nature to him, as did the short sword's deft movements. However, after a considerable number disciplinary actions, he soon discovered that his talents could earn him a living. Pirating. It was still heavily practiced in the deep coves and cliffs of the mouth of Anduin. Merenor spent the last seven years of his life in the profession...
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/thread/36586/

The first post is up! I don't go into much detail for my character's intro and I ended it quickly, but I'm in a bit of a hurry. I'll check back tomorrow for replies.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! I don't have time to put up character details just now, but I will do so when I get a chance.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Eldarion, I'm assuming you have not read the Rules and Guidelines that apply to this forum, particularly this one. I will have to move this RPG to Tolkien Related.

Ella, One of the rules that applies to your game playing is that you are only responsible for moving your own character, never someone else's. I've noticed that you have a habit of speaking for/moving other characters to make them end up where you decide they should. This is a no-no. You have no idea where the original char wishes to be or what he/she wants to do. Ergo, please cease from making your char speak for/move another's char.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
I'm really sorry, you're right. I though when someone was willing to go somewhere it was okay to "bring" that person along.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
I was unaware moderators were so touchy in the CoE's waning years. But by all means, move it if need be.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Name: Fay
Personality: Hard-working but also adventurous and slightly wild. Considered odd, so is quite withdrawn.
Appearance: Wild, long blonde hair, grey-blue eyes. Wears pale grey rags.
History: A peasant. Lives in a small cottage with another poor family. Mother died when she was a young girl. Worked as a maid for five years.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Eldarion, The same rules have been in place since 2006....where have you been? *smiles*
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Eldarion, do you mind if this last post keep this way and I'll never do it again in the following ones?
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Don't mind at all. I've enjoyed your posts anyways.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Please tell me this RP thread is not dead!
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I can't think of anything to post... (Plus I have been away for a while) But I will post when I think of something.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 10/24/2013 by HuldahMaria]
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Eldarion is supposed to be next so I think we should wait for him...
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I read the RP and thought it would be a good one to write in. I hope it doesn't fall to the plague.... I'll consider joining if its still a viable tale.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I would love to have more people joining... but I think the choice is Eldarion's.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Eldarion hasn't posted in nearly a month. Since this was their baby, it is likely dead. I may write a character entry anyway. If it don't go anywhere, it still helps me as I could use some year 119 development in one of my character's timeline.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Is this thread still dead? It sounds very intesting to me, and I would love to join in! I wasn't sure if any of you had decided to continue on with it without Eldarion.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I considered it, but didn't see a point in investing in the character development if the creator is AWOL and others don't want to post without them. I think its death had to do with the thread being moved from one forum to another.

[Edited on 11/12/2013 by Arveleg]
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I would post, but I neither me nor Ella have anything to say until someone else posts...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Perhaps I shall post in the next few days. I still need to create a character. Will you all return to the RP if I do?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Being that I never actually started in this one, can't say I will. But if people are willing to give it some life, I'm in.
I have a character all set to enter Osgoliath. Need to smooth out his entry a bit. May post it in the next day or so.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will post my character tomorrow, then I'll be all set.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Yey! I will definitely come back then!
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
I will come back too
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm definitely in!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Well ok then.
I have to finish a post for a long running collaborative tale being posted on Henneth Annun, then I'll get to this one...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Currently traveling to the "RPG Characters" page in another window...

Height: Short, perhaps nearly five feet or just above.
Family: Father has passed away when she was 14, and never knew her mother. Lives with an Aunt in the center of the city.

Personality: Raegan is very sensitive to others feelings, but is very careful never to let her emotions show. As a result, becomes tough and can seem sonetimes cruel to others. unable to focus or hold down steady work. Often can be seen drifting through the city, is somewhat of a "pet" to others, but their pity only infuriates her more.

Appearance: Shorter, rail thin, with shoulder length red hair that is absolutely straight. Hazel eyes. Pale skin.

History:
Memories of her father , who died when she was 14, haunt her, making her very distant and observent. Has no job, but knows many people, as drifting through the city allows.

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Name: Khaloch
Race: Man
Appearance: Of mixed heritage, he had a somewhat tall, lean frame that hid his strength. Tries to keep his hair cropped close, but of late it had grown into a short, thick black blanket of bristles. His skin was fair, but darker than most in Gondor, and would become brown if he was in the sun for any length of time. He wore a uniform that was anything but. A Haradian head-scarf, A Gondorian Army tunic, and light black cotton breeches he acquired in Khand.

History: Khaloch was born to a poor serving girl that worked at a tavern in Pelargir. Never knowing who his father was, he grew up pretty much on his own after his mother was killed. Made a life in trading mostly in stolen goods until he was arrested at age 18. Life on the street had made him tough, and so when a commander of a Gondorian legion that was heading south asked for recruits, A deal was struck with the City Guard that the able-bodied men and boys who were jailed would serve in the army for ten years. Khaloch at the time saw it as a short-term opportunity to get out of his cell and pending judgement. Little did he know that he would spend the next ten years of his life on the far reaches of the realm in Harad, Khand, and Rhun. When he was given his discharge in a place called Hareere in Harad, he didn't know what to do. It was not long before he had contracted with the commander to serve as a paid mercenary for another 4 years. When he finished his contract, he headed north. A caravan took him to Umbar, and he caught a boat that took him to Pelargir. The city had changed in the fourteen years he had been gone, and so he took a job on a trading boat that was headed upriver to Osgiliath.

[Edited on 11/16/2013 by Arveleg]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email