Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan let her eyes fall to the captain Assur as the winds began to die. She carefully loosened her dealth grip on the rail and stepped away from it slowly, her legs wobbly and uneven, showing her fear. Pelargir was is sight, now- would that mean their refuge, or their prison?

Assur stepped off of the ship and went onto the dock. Raegan follwed him carefully, still stumbling slightly. She did not like the ship, and didn't want to stay on it a moment more. Assur was carrying many weapons- she, herself, had none. Would she need one, to be prepared for Pelargir?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch checked his weapons and made sure Banarast did the same. As they headed for the plank to the dock, Khaloch said to Banarast,

"We have a duty to the King! A mission! You follow me, and we will move swift and sure!"

Khaloch didn't believe all that for this particular mission, but it was important that Banarast did, and his words had their desired effect. Khaloch knew there would be little chance Banarast would return to Minas Tirith unless his skill was well more than the easy duty he had known. Khaloch looked over at Alura... Lady Scarlett... Something between her and Banarast had fallen between them. He stepped across the plant to shore, and pointed their direction. Banarast moved forth, and Khaloch closed behind him. He turned again and saw Lady Scarlett... Alura's eyes. He would miss them. The two soldiers disappeared into the shadows of the streets of Pelargir.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Fay barely heard Raegan call out to her, but then the wind died down and the rain began to lessen. She began to reconsider her guardedness. Why should she not trust these people? If they had wanted to harm her, they would not have taken her on the boat with them. She wondered if she should tell them her real name; surely it would mean little to them anyway? But some part of her held back. The reason for this was not apprehension, but the hope of being someone else, someone who could leave her hometown with a band of strangers, rather than just stay a dutiful maid. This was the part of her that did not pretend, the part that was Freya. So she kept the name, and instead of continuing to dream and hope and wish for greater things, she resolved to step forward, and forge her own path. For the first time in her life, she would take her destiny into her own hands. She was free now, bound only by choice. She could leave now, if it were not for her curiosity and her willingness to help her companions in any way she could.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Freya," Raegan called to her friend as she stood on the dock. "Come along. do not get left behind." Pelargir was a large place, full of many strange people and things, and, she assummed, many ghosts. She wanted to see everything, but was yet apprehensive. Exploring must wait if Scar's well-being was threatened,

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Some months had passed since their arrival to Pelagrir. Scarlett found a humble job in an unnoticeable inn. She didn’t appear to the guests because she was still afraid of getting caught. The only contact she had with them was helping those who appeared wounded or ill. Her mainly chores were cleaning the rooms and help the cooker.

In her mind, she still knew her freedom was bought by a strange man, months ago. She could still remember looking at him disappearing through the streets of the city, just turning back one last time looking right in her eyes. Her chest became heavy as she sighed. Looking through the window she wished to see him again. She thought of the friends who helped her getting out of Osgiliath. It was so good she could see them all again.

“Alura!” Someone called. It was the inn keeper. “I need you to stay serving in the pub today since I have things to do in the city. It’s a quiet day, no need to worry ‘bout it!”

She felt frightened but she knew she could do it. She went down the stairs after cleaning all the empty rooms. There was no one there. She sighed, seating in a table near the counter.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan had finally begun to get her bearings in the new city. She was right; ghosts were rampant here, but none were the ones she searched for. She realized now that work was of nessesity for survival, and in such a vast city, she knew that there would be an occupation for her, just as occupations arrived for all of her friends, somewhere.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
It had not been easy tracking the man Commander Seth wanted. The trail was warm months ago when he had arrived, but it seemed to have gone cold too soon. The days stretched into weeks, and they into months. Khaloch had employed some lads he had known to watch for him, but they too could not seem to find him. The only lead het got was that he was in a trading caravan heading east. Khaloch and Banarast secured two swift horses from the City Guard and managed to overtake the caravan at the ford, but it was a ruse. He hoped the eyes he had in Pelargir might sight him, or at least have news of his movement while they were away. Maybe he would try to board ship? If he did, he would surely go to Umbar, for Khaloch knew that he was not Commander Seth’s only hunter in this matter.

If the ride out to Poros Crossing was good for anything, it got Banarast to open up a bit. While they overnighted there, they had much to drink at the roadhouse that opened up there. Well, Banarast did anyway. Khaloch used the time well. It seemed Banarast had desires toward Lady Scarlett, Seth’s daughter while assigned to guard their home. Khaloch felt a rush of anger as he remembered the exchange with Lady Scarlett. The way she acted when she saw that Banarast was with him. It started to make sense now. Once Banarast fell forward asleep, Khaloch toyed with his knife. He could finish him right here and now. No, he needed him. Khaloch instead sipped his water, thinking about Lady Scarlett… what name did she take on the river boat? Alura. He wondered if she was finding the adventure away from the relative safety of home in Minas Tirith enlightening. He looked again at Banarast and smirked to himself… Maybe Minas Tirith and home was not so safe for her after all… He lifted his foot and pushed Banarast’s leg and he fell over into the dirt.

”Get up. We have some riding to do. To Pelargir! Now soldier!”

He was startled but arose. Khaloch looked at him trying to hold his anger inside. He will deal with Banarast in due time.
~
They had gotten in the early morning, coming across the Anduin on a ferry. The pilot remembered him, and with a whisper, gave him news he wanted to hear. They had to move fast! They made for Quay Quarter of the city, and there amongst the ramshackle wood plank buildings was the small inn. A perfect place to hide, for few walked that part of town. Fewer still stayed at this inn. Khaloch said to Banarast,

”Follow me closely. Fast but easy. We enter and go for room six.”

Banarast nodded, and with a quick move of his hand Khaloch quietly pushed open the door. Banarast shut it quietly. Khaloch was light on his feet as his boots made only a lttle sound on the rugged wood floorboards. Banarast’s steps were a bit heavier. Despite it being a bright morning outside, this place was dark. Khaloch noted only one other in the common room, a woman sitting at a table. Was likely the serving maid. Khaloch hoped she would be no trouble. She turned and looked as they crossed the floor, but they went straight to the hall where the rooms were. Coming to the door, Khaloch stopped and Banarast stepped over to the other side. Listening close, Khaloch could hear snoring inside. He looked at Banarast and gave him a nod. Banarast kicked open the door and entered. Khaloch hesitated. A voice gruffed and said.

”Bana…I have news!”

Khaloch was about to step into the room when he noted the serving girl was peering down the hall. Her eyes were familiar, but he could not pause. He stepped inside the room to see Banarast punch the man hard. Things were getting ugly, and he shut the door behind him in hopes the serving girl did not follow. The man was about to say something again when Banarast stuck a knife deep in his belly and he fell back on the bed limp, the straw mattress turning dark with blood. Khaloch knew now that the two knew each other, and Banarast did not want the news the man had to reach his ears. Khaloch knew now that he was set up, probably by Commander Seth himself. He didn’t wait, and let fly a blade that caught the turning Banarast in the neck. The blood went everywhere and he fell atop the man he had killed. Khaloch retrieved his knife, for it looked like the two had killed each other. The door was opening though, and Khaloch jumped to the side as he sheathed his bloody knife. The serving girl stood there, looking scared. Khaloch was going to step around the door and past her, but he stopped in front of her, breaking her gaze on the two dead men. He pushed her back into the hall and closed the door, saying,

”It is best you didn’t see anything here miss….”

He swallowed and said as he recognised her face in the dim light…

”La…Sc… Alura?”

Khaloch didn’t at first recognise the woman dressed in common working wear instead of the finery of high standing. He should have recognised her in the common room. He was now not sure what to do. An assassination turned into a double-cross and the only witness was a young woman which he thought was the inn’s bar maid, but is a fair lady he seemed to be fond of. Would she hate him for what he did? Would she be glad Banarast was dead? Would it show a harsh side of him that she did not know from the time of their meeting? The moments seemed long, but they were a mere breath. He knew he had to get out of this inn, and soon. But he remained, looking into Alura’s eyes, trying to read her thoughts….
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Scarlett was still sitting, waiting for someone to wake up or to come in. During those months, she didn’t have the time to think, though she dreamt regularly about all the adventure that leaded her there. However, it was one of the few times she had to think and Khaloch was always there, in her mind.

Footsteps were heard and by the sound it seemed there were two people. Quickly passed two men and one of them looked to her. For a minute she thought she saw the man she was waiting to see.

”You’re just seeing what you want to see… It can’t be him.” she thought sadly. Probably she would never see him again and that idea made her heartsick. ”I need to ask if they need something, though.

As she stood up she sighed, quickly following them to the hall where the rooms were. The man from before looked at her, yet he didn’t stop. Again, her heart raced. Scar couldn’t see him well with the darkness, but the man looked so much like him. Just when he entered the room, she saw one man punching another and she began walking in their direction. That man gave her chills.

”It’s not possible… He can’t be Banarast. I don’t want to ever meet him again.” She muttered to herself.

However, the door had been shut. She was truly afraid, but she needed to help. She had always been a healer. A few seconds later, she took a deep breath and opened the door. She took a glimpse of two dead bodies, just before one of the man stopping in front of her and led her back to the hall. She felt tears forming in her eyes for she was shocked. Putting her hand in her mouth, she stepped back afraid of the man in front of her. He could hurt her, or worse. He said something that made her even more frightened. As she stopped right before a lamp, he stopped.

”La…Sc… Alura?”

Scarlett felt really confused. She was so happy to see him again, she felt so good just by looking at the man who never abandoned her thoughts; the man who saved her.

“Khaloch…” She whispered walking to him and touching his face with her hand, almost like she was dreaming.

However, there were two dead men inside and he was probably the killer. She stepped back. Her heart wanted to hold him, to be completely lost in his eyes. Yet at the same time, it wanted to shout, to ask why he killed those men. There were so many feelings lingering inside her she couldn’t say a word. If she stayed there, she could lose her job, or she could be caught because someone from the authorities could recognize her. Khaloch could be arrested again and even if she was furious, she could never let it happen again. She wanted to run with him and to knock him out. All these thoughts and feelings were fighting in her chest in just a few seconds.

As for him, he stood there, just looking right into her eyes. She felt she couldn’t hide a thing of what she was feeling. There were so many questions that needed to be answered. Yet, the only thing she was sure was they needed to get out of there, as soon as possible. First, they needed to run. The questions were to be asked later. She looked seriously to him.

“We cannot stay here anymore.”

She began walking to the back door and quickly packed some essentials, such as her majestic dress, all the food she could find at hand and all the coins she could and marched outside. She had the money to buy a horse in the time she stayed there working so she prepared all the packed stuff and the horse. Then she looked back. The sound of people coming to the inn reached her ears.

“I have only this one. Let us go, quickly!” She mounted her horse and waited for him to come.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
“We cannot stay here anymore.”

Her voice… it was her, a melody of emotion that reflected what he saw in her eyes. Rage, longing, confusion. The sound and the words brought him back to his senses. As Alura walked toward the door at the back of the hall, Khaloch knew he would have to cover his… their tracks. Taking the lamp off the wall, he threw it toward the common room. It hit the frame by the entrance and burst flam down the wall and floor as the oil ran forth. He opened the door and pulled the lamp in the room off the wall, and threw it toward the bed where the two men bled out. Another ball of flame exploded over the wall. This inn, and likely those buildings next to it will soon be engulfed in flames all too soon. Already the first fire had spread up to the ceiling and across the floor, and began pushing him down the hall.

“I have only this one. Let us go, quickly!”

Alura’s voice echoed down the hall from the open door. She was ready to run, and must have been ready to run at a moments notice. I suppose if she was trying to stay ahead of any of her father’s men who would take her back home, she would have to be prepared. As for himself, he could not go back around front to reclaim his or Banarast’s horse. Alura ran up and mounted her horse. Khaloch started to run for the door. Someone stepped out of their room in front of him to see what was happening, and Khaloch knocked him over. He hit his head on the door-frame and fell back into his room. Khaloch didn’t stop as the flames were reaching down the hall toward the open door. Alura turned her horse who was getting agitated by the fire, and Khaloch grabbed her outstretched hand and swung up behind her. She and the horse wasted no time riding out of the alleyway.

When they got to the street, there was some panic as people ran both toward and away from the fire that had already started to lick out of the front door. The whole will be utterly destroyed before the fire is put out. Alura turned them away from the burning buildings and slowed to a trot up the street. Wise to not draw attention to themselves speeding away, and they would have to find somewhere to stay out of sight. He pointed to a narrow alley and said in her ear as he leaned forward,

”Go up here! There is an old stable we can use. It will be safe for now.”

She slowed the horse to a walk and eased the horse into the narrow lane. The old abandoned stable was just an old barn wedged between stone buildings, and Khaloch slid off to open a wooden door. Alura rode her horse inside and he closed it behind him. They would have to stay out of sight for awhile. Alura dismounted and turned to look at him. He could only say,

”I am sorry you had to see that m’lady.”
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
The inn began burning and soon everything else around it would also be in flames. Scarlett saw Khaloch coming from inside. Swiftly, he mounted her horse right behind her. They galloped away from the inn until they reached the street slowing down.

”Go up here! There is an old stable we can use. It will be safe for now.”

She heard his voice in her ear and didn’t have much of a choice. They needed to hide. As they reached the stable, the young woman entered still riding as Khaloch closed the door. She dismounted and set her horse free. Then, she took a deep breath and turned to him piercing his eyes.

”I am sorry you had to see that m’lady.”

Scar stood still processing all the events. She didn’t know what to think. She could see those dead bodies and the inn burning with her eyes opened.

“I…” She stopped as tears again were forming in her eyes. “I am used to save life’s, not to take them.” Even if she was still horrified, deep in her heart she felt a relief in Banarast death. Her expression turned angry. “Why did you killed them? It was not on my father’s orders, I know it. I do not know what they did to you in particular,” she thought of the hard times Banarast cause her while speaking “but I am sure there would be a better solution.”

She turned her back to him and walked to a tiny window. Looking outside, she continued in a whisper

“I waited so long… I wished so hard to get to see you again, to thank you for all you have done for me… And I just find you killing two men.”
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch listened to Scar but knew not what to say. He was in fact following Commander Seth’s orders. He had found the man he was ordered to find. Khaloch would have liked to of been able to talk to him, but Banarast shut him up for good. Khaloch only heard enough to know that it all was a trap, to what end he would not ever know. The suddenness of the changing situation, and the anger he held toward Banarast, and there seeing Lady Scarlett again caused him to react. He only killed Banarast in the room. The other poor guyhe knocked out in the hall just got in the way. He likely burned to death. Khaloch hoped there was nobody else caught in the fire. How could he try to explain it all to her? He swallowed and said,

”M’lady, I did not expect to see you again after leaving the boat. I have thought about you and hoped you were well on your journey to see the lands, but I never thought to find you here in the poor quarter of Pelargir, working as a bar wench no less.”

He paused as he took a step toward her, but he stopped. She had every right to hate him for what she saw done. He went on,

”I too was glad to see you again, and I would do all I have done and more for you again if need be. But you have seen the dark side of me, and these streets where I spent my childhood. Yes, this slum is where I grew up. It was here where I was recruited by Gondor to go away south to fight. The truth is I kill people, justly in the name of the King, but sometimes unjust if need be. I killed Banarast, which may have been unjust in your eyes. There may have been a better way, but the few heartbeats that it all transpired left no time to consider alternatives. No matter, nothing can be changed now. My situation is now quite uncertain. I will go if you wish me gone, or I will stay if you wish me to stay. I ask you Lady Scarlettt…”

He stepped closer to her to look outside, hoping they weren’t seen, and whispered over her shoulder,

”… what do you wish me to do?”
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan watched in shock and in horror as flames flew out of buildings. People began to run rampant in the streets, calling "Water!"

Smoke billowed high in the sky, filling the streets with confusion and chaos. Raegan flattened herself back against an old stable; the wall creaked in protest.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Scarlett was still crying. She thought she was a strong woman, yet her heart didn’t stand to see dead people. The fact Khaloch was a killer didn’t help her feelings. She had so many questions though not the guts to ask them. He was speaking, barely explaining what happened. She didn’t know what life outside the White City was, so now she had the chance to meet people in great need. Hearing about his childhood made her feel truly lucky to born where she did. However, the name Banarast still gave her chills. He was right. It didn’t matter now for there was nothing that could ever been done to take those life’s back.

”… what do you wish me to do?”

He was close to her back yet she wasn’t afraid of him anymore. She wanted him to stay; all those times she waited she finally was with him again. Still, she could not ignore the men he killed.

“What is your mission?” She asked with the knowledge he probably wouldn’t answer. “I do not know why you killed him and you are right; nothing can ever be done to undo that.”

She took a deep breath and turned to him. He was there, right in front of her. Her nest decision would probably affect the course of her entire life. She approached him. Only a few inches separated their faces and their bodies. Scar raised her hand to his face and laid it in his jaw. She wasn’t crying anymore and she threw him a concerned look.

“If you stay, can you please promise you would not kill anyone more? Or at least try not to?” She closed her eyes and continued in a whisper. “Let me save you, Khaloch. You are not lost.”
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan gasped as she tried to catch her breath. Smoke surrounded her, filling her hair and eyes, but she swallowed and ignored it.

A blue spirit swirled out of the inn.

He was tall, imposing. Raegan would have been afraid of him if she saw him in life, but in Death, they were all her friends, so she harbored no distaste. She watched as he swept out of the flames and into the night.

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Damia slipped like a phantom in-between the burning buildings. Men shouted for water and scurried like ants protecting their queen. Woman screamed as their houses and belongings burned to the ground. Children clung to their mothers and wailed or ran wild in the streets. She hastened out of the fire and into a dark alley. Once again, she felt like she was being followed, but once again, there was nothing. She pulled her hood around her face and darted into a stable. It was dark and smelled of horse dung. Damia jerked when she heard voices. She was not alone. Slowly she pulled her dagger out and disappeared into the shadows.
“Who goes there?” she challenged.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
“Who goes there?”

Raegan heard the voice from inside the stable, and she jumped, her eyes still on the rapidly retreating ghost.

Who would be inside of a building that may burn to the ground?, she thought.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch closed his eyes and took a deep breath. In that breath was scents he recalled from Osgiliath at their first meeting. He let out his breath as he opened his eyes and took hold of her hand.

”Of the mission I was freed by your father to do…”

He looked into the lady’s eyes, wiping a tear from her cheek as he went on,

”…you would not wish to know of. But know that I was not ordered to kill him. As for the promise you ask of me, I cannot say I will not. I am again contracted to Gondor, and to your father Commander Seth. But know I, here and now, am considering my very future in the realm…”

A noise outside was heard as the door opened. Khaloch pushed Alura down in the straw and covered her, his hand on the hilt his knife.

“Who goes there?”

… came a voice of someone who managed good stealth. There was no hope of hiding, so he rolled aside and they sat up. Khaloch said,

”I am Khaloch of Pelargir, and this is Alura. We took refuge here from the fire.”

As smoke was starting to fill the air, he was tense. This could be someone hunting for the Lady Scarlett. But no flying blade came their way, but he did not relax his grip in his sheathed knife hilt.

Movement by the small window has someone peer in. It was the ghost whisperer from the boat from Osgiliath. Khaloch kept his eyes on the stranger who had entered though.

”Of whom do I have the honour of addressing?”

The smoke was getting thicker. It was apparent they would have to get out of this place, and soon….
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Scarlett felt too comfortable staying there, with him. As he held her hand she felt so safe. When she heard about her father she couldn’t stop shedding a tear which he wiped looking right in her eyes.

” But know I, here and now, am considering my very future in the realm…”

She began imagining living an adventure with that man and that feeling made her excited. However, it stopped as he pushed and hid her in the straw because of the noise someone made. Someone was there, a female by the sound of her voice. As he rolled up, they sat, and she held his arm afraid. They had come to take her. Or at least that was the predominant thought in her mind. He spoke to the invisible newcomer and smoke was filling the air.

“We should get…” She stopped as a girl peered in the stable by the window. Even she was scared, she recognized her face.

“My dear friend!” She cried “Lady Raegan, come here.” She quickly added since she couldn’t leave Khaloch’s side. She whispered in his ear, looking to the smoke. “We need to get out of here.”
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Damia followed the strangers down the street they stopped a league away from the fire. They had not noticed her presence yet but stood panting staring at the fire. She returned in the shadows before speaking.
"Khaloch of Pelargir is it," she half-asked. "But perhaps it is Khaloch of Osgiliath, or Khaloch the mercenary, but I was told to find Khaloch the daughter-stealer. No fear boy," she addressed him when he reached for his knife, "I was told to find you by a Commander somebody. He paid in advance so I have no interest in finishing the job. It is unusual for I was told to find you and not give my usual greeting."
She stepped out of the shadows her cloak flowing behind her in the wind. A strange almost mystical figure she seemed except the dagger poised readily in her hand.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch smiled as he took his hand from his knife hilt. He said to the mysterious shadowy one,

"I am also Khaloch of Hareere, Sergeant Khaloch, And for a short time, Khaloch the wanderer. But I steal no daughter, unless offering to help see freedom is stealing."

Khaloch watched as the stealth shadow came into the sun. He nodded a bow and said,

"I would suppose that Tallin paid you to carry out his execution order, but I will say I appreciate you readily announcing yourself. You have it seems much skill at stealth."

Khaloch looked about. They had gotten far enough away to not have to be concerned with it. He looked back at the stealth shadow and observed their movements before he asked,

"So shadow, how should I address you?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
“My dear friend!” Scarlett cried.“Lady Raegan, come here.”

Raegan slowly entered, wary of the figure who spoke with such a note of supremecy in her voice. She stepped her way over towards Scarlett/Alura and Khaloch, taking note that Khaloch was still referring to Scar by her alias. When the two stood and exited the stable, she followed them.

"I would suppose that Tallin paid you to carry out his execution order, but I will say I appreciate you readily announcing yourself. You have it seems much skill at stealth," Khaloch was saying as she drew nearer. Raegan stayed far to the right of the two, remaining closer to Scarlett.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan approached and Scarlett held her hand. She was truly happy they met each other again. As the mysterious shadow finally showed herself, not revealing her face, she held Khaloch’s arm with the other hand. She couldn’t say a word while they were speaking about stealth and jobs and could hardly think of something. She wasn’t stupid enough to believe he was no mercenary. However, she didn’t like entirely the idea.

As they walked somewhere safe enough from the fire and the smoke, she noticed she was becoming really hungry. However, the fear she felt for the newcomer was bigger so she couldn’t think of eating something. Taking a deep breath she had the guts to talk to that woman.

“Who are you and what do you want? Please go away if you need nothing.”

Looking to Raegan she felt compassion since she was doubtless more frightened than her.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I would suppose that Tallin paid you to carry out his execution order, but I will say I appreciate you readily announcing yourself. You have it seems much skill at stealth."

"A Commander Seth paid me to find Khaloch and tell him of his whereabouts. But a man named Tallin paid me to bring him your heart," Damia replied coolly.

“Who are you and what do you want? Please go away if you need nothing.”A young woman clinging to Khanloch's arm begged.

"You may have heard my name whispered among the people," she replied, "I am Damia, Killer of Gondor. Since my employers where stupid enough to pay me in advance I have no intention of fulfilling my duty," she said quickly slipping her hood off her head.

Her dark locks tumbled out and her fierce eyes shone in the torchlight.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Scar held tight to Raegan's hand and looked at her with compassion. It was easy to see the empathy in her eyes; Raegan wondered if she noticd that the dress Raegan now wore was the same that Scarlett had given to her on the ill-fated night they had met-however, washed.

The figure pulled the hood off of her head, proclaiming, "You may have heard my name whispered among the people. I am Damia, Killer of Gondor."

Yes. Raegan, at the least, had heard the name, said softly among those who lived in dark alleyways and did buisness in the shallow area of the docks. However, she doubted that Scar or Khaloch had any firsthand knowledge of the woman in front of them.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"And whom might your companions be?" she asked looking at the two woman standing to the right of Khaloch.
She noticed one of the woman was staring behind her. Looking back she saw no one but felt that odd sensation that something was behind her.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan blinked, and the ghost remained. Red and angry, glaring at her from behind Damia. She chose to say nothing.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message

"A Commander Seth paid me to find Khaloch and tell him of his whereabouts. But a man named Tallin paid me to bring him your heart," Damia replied coolly.

“Who are you and what do you want? Please go away if you need nothing.”

Scarlett said, wary of the shadowy woman. Khaloch put his hand on her shoulder and let it slide down her arm as he stepped forward as the woman said,

"You may have heard my name whispered among the people. I am Damia, Killer of Gondor. Since my employers where stupid enough to pay me in advance I have no intention of fulfilling my duty."

Her dark hair falling about her shoulders seemed to play with the flickering light, and she had eyes of an assasin. She asked,

"And whom might your companions be?"

Khaloch said,

"I met these ladies up north, in Osgiliath. As it turned out, we booked passage on the same ship south to this city. I consider them my friends though I have only known them a few weeks."

He looked at Raegan and then to Scarlett. They would have to warm to Damia enough to formally announce their names. Khaloch smiled and said to Damia,

"Damia, Gondor's assasin. I have indeed heard the name whispered in shadows. I should be grateful you wish not to kill me. For I would trust the commission was not sanctioned by the King?"

Khaloch kept his eyes on Damia's as her eyes became somewhat distracted. She didn't break her gaze, but Khaloch knew she had sensed perceived movement behind her. Khaloch saw it too.

[i]

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"There's a ghost behind you," Raegan said simply.

The killer jumped and whirled around. The red shadow lept out of the way, flowing high above her, nearly blending into the smoke that tunneled out of the inn. Damia looked upwards, frantically turning about. Khaloch and Scarlett looked upwards as well.

"Well, he's gone, now," Raegan said. She looked at Khaloch. "You saw it, didn't you?" she coughed, smoke overtaking her lungs.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yes of course she had sensed something behind her. The girl's statement had amused her but she decided to play the part. She spun looking rapidly up then turned quickly.
"I see nothing but smoke," she replied coolly, "And smoke means fire. Fire means people so I must hurry along."
She disappeared from their sight and headed down alleyways. It was morning before the fire was put out. But not before much damage was done. People gazed helplessly at the charred ruins. Damia watched from the shadows that always haunted the buildings. She smiled when she spotted Khaloch with the two girls trying to catch a frantic horse. She slipped quietly behind them.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
A short romp through the marketplace of Pelargir had netted Assur a fair number of supplies to replenish those spent during the trip downriver from Gondor and for only a fraction of what little had accumulated in his coin-purse. Amidst the throngs pulsing through the tightly packed bazaar it was nearly impossible to single him out, even with bow slung over his shoulder and dagger at his side. The pirates clothes were entirely unremarkable in their present, filthy and weathered state; his dark complexion was powdered heavily with dirt and sand. Despite his plain clothes camouflage a passing detachment of guardsmen had taken notice of his arrival and subsequent movements through the city. Assur had not necessarily become infamous during his brief foray into piracy, but he had surely warranted a number of wanted posters throughout the coastal cities; the guardsmen of Pelargir were well aware of his past.

The guards made no effort to approach Assur with stealth nor subtlety. They strode through the crowd five abreast with snide smirks. "Assur, you've so foolishly returned it seems!"

"Quite a long term memory the law has in Pelargir," Assur had retorted upon noticing them and the utter lack of an escape route, his tone thick with disdain. "Do make it quick."

His arrest was without altercation or incident; his incarceration proved just as uneventful. Months of hard labor in the mines had hardened his hands and shrunk his waistline before the sentence terms were fulfilled and transportation back to Pelargir arranged; it was a long trek though he found himself well-fed and cured of his long bout of malnourishment. Strength returned to him quickly.

As his wagon had reached the peak of a hillock just a couple of furlongs from the city walls, flames and smoke could be seen rising with the Eastern wind. His steely hues could see the fire engulfing much of the poorer districts. The wagon's driver was audibly distressed. Their pace quickened and they soon passed the city gates where the wagon was abandoned by all parties. Assur quickly reclaimed his lost gear from the trunk at the rear of the cart and dashed through the streets towards the quickly burning sector, unsure of what he sought.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch saw a swift shadow behind Damia, and it wasn’t one of the figments of Raegan’s imagination. It was that shadowmastress he had known from the high desert prison. He could only guess how she got free from the place.
Khaloch left the girls and pursued the familiar figure. This pursuit took him far into the night and it was some time before he returned. The morning light found Alura and Raegan asleep in the straw, with Lady Scarlett's horse grazing nearby. No sign of Damia. Of course there wouldn’t be. He approached the sleeping women and one woke with a startle. The horse spooked, and Lady Scarlett jumped up to try and calm him. Khaloch tried to help, but he saw the captain of the ship slowly walking up the alleyway. He could also feel the presense of the assassin, so he paused to watch out.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Damia slipped through the shadows that clung to the buildings. Her curiosity had gotten the better of her and she stepped out behind Khaloch. She rarely let her face be seen in public but today she did. It didn't look so sinister as it did the night before when shadows and flames played around it. No, it seemed lonely or unsure in the light.
"Greetings Khaloch of the many names," she addressed him, "we meet again."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
"Greetings to you Lady Damia, Blade of Gondor. I have to say I am surprised to see you again."

Khaloch looked closely at her face in the light of day. She looked fairer, not so much the quiet killer he saw the night before. He gave her a slight bow and said,

"I have to say I am glad to see you again, and in the day as well."

He looked about quickly and back to Damia, for it seemed to him that she was concerned about something.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I came back to find out why you are wanted by the man you talked of last night," she replied.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
"Is that all?"

Khaloch asked, sensing there was more to Damia. He then went on to say,

"It seems Tallin does not like mixed blood mercenaries fighting Gondor's battles in the far reaches of the realm. or it is some battle between my old commander and he, or maybe I helped the daughter of Commander Seth escape his reach. I don't know."

Khaloch looked over and it seemed that Raegan and Alura... Miss Scarlett, have gotten he horse under control.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email