Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post What would you say to Tolkien if you met him?
on: January 09, 2014 05:59
Erwedraith asked this question in the Games Forum and I could not answer it immediately. It is a great question and your answers would be very interesting.

What if Tolkien were still alive and you were able to meet him? What would you say? Would you tell him things about his books you do not like? Would you ask him questions about languages, Middle-earth, the characters? Would you ask him what he thinks of the movies? Would you ask him about The Silmarillion?

What would you ask him if you had the chance?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
How much time do you need to complete the Silmarillion in the light of the massive round-earth redo you were contemplating?
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I would say well done! I would ask him if he truly believes that this world used to be that world, or if he just thinks of it as a story.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
I would say: You're a genius! Tell me *everything*!
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
I would say, "Sir, I pity you -- deeply -- to have come up with such a wonderful world on paper, and yet be doomed to live in this one." Why? Because he went straight into his, our hearts and brought out our deepest wishes for life . . . only to see practically nothing of it in reality. I say practically, because there are still Aragorns and Elronds here and there, still a few folksy Hobbits about. And there are still a few places like Lothlorien and the Shire. And of course there are people like us who have our various entanglements in this modern world, but long for the Shire, for Rivendell, for Middle Earth.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I would ask him where he got his inspiration.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Erwedraith
Council Member
Send Message
I would ask him if he could please show me all the different ideas he had on Middle Earth...all his journals and notebooks and maps he made and songs/poems he wrote
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I've found. I found it is the small things. Every day deeds by ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay." - Gandalf
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ditto to that, Erwedraith!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
You guys should come with me in that hypothetical visit. The "tell me *everything*" part really meant everything, lol. We'd be there for days listining to stories. Eating cookies or something, drinking tea, with Tolkien smoking his pipe...Very english and storytime like. *.* *sigh* would have been awesome.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
More like weeks, after we ask all of the questions we want to ask and get our books signed and everything...oh, happiness.
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
I want to come too!!! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

And at the end of the day (or weeks) I'd ask: How about a sequel?
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Haha!
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
I would definitely tell him that he's my hero.
"A king is he that can hold his own or else his title is vain." -NelyaFinwe Maitimo (Maedhros)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email