Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Across the Great Sea (See OOC to Join)
on: January 12, 2014 09:12
OOC Link (Contains plot): OOC Page

The fog that usually settled around the harbor was absent as Kiland stepped onto the wooden dock, the soft leather soles of his boots silencing any noise his steps might have made. On his back rested his father's pack, filled with food, water, a full quiver of arrows, a small knife for whittling new arrows, and a map of Middle Earth. He'd grown up on stories of the far off land, had always dreamed of visiting it... this was his chance. Yet it wasn't under the circumstances he had hoped.

He carried a bow in his hand, an old gift from his father, and his sword on his hip. He was dressed in armor specially forged for him, armor that would hopefully protect him on the quest soon to come. The Undying Lands, the sanctuary for the elves of old, was no longer safe. He'd had to fight a small army of Orcs almost a week and a half ago, something completely foreign to him- he was nearly 879 years old, yet it had been his first taste of true combat. The Undying Lands were no longer safe- it was the job of him and the rest of the fellowship to journey across the Great Sea to Middle Earth. They had to find the source of the evil, to discover why the Orcs had been allowed to grow so bold.

He was the first to arrive, the rest were soon to be expected. The docks were barren, except for the boats, but that was going to change soon. He was nervous, he realized, something he had never experienced before, nervous to go to places unseen and face danger and death. Yet as his blonde hair blew in the breeze, he knew deep inside he yearned to see the world his father had told him about. Kiland was the son of Legolas, one of the Kings of the Undying Lands. It'd been 1500 years since his father had left Middle Earth, and it was obvious even to Kiland much had changed since then. A threat had presented itself, and it was now their job to take care of what the other inhabitants of Middle Earth could not. Death would not invade the Undying Lands, the Orcs would be destroyed, and the world returned to it's rightful order. There was no other option.

His thoughts were interrupted by the faint sound of footsteps on the wooden boards behind him. He turned to greet the second member of the fellowship, curious as to who the other Lords had selected to send.

[Edited on 01/13/2014 by James_Lefor]
“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.” ― Neil Gaiman
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
The dawn was close on the horizon. The sky was becoming pink and light blue as the sun tried to rise from the distant lands. Some weeks before, an important council reunited in the lands of Valinor and a quest had been set. The evil was becoming closer to the Undying Lands and, for sure, Middle Earth was in danger. The Lords of the Eldar decided they had to interfere and aid those who needed help.

A fair elf maiden was alone, with her amber eyes glancing at the distance. She was one of those who were chosen to that quest. Lady Galadriel had asked her herself, since they were both related and she once lived in Lothlórien realm, in Middle Earth. Authiel accepted almost without questioning and now, a few hours before the ships departed the shores, she was thinking about it. She was willing to return to the place where she was born and lived a part of her childhood.

However, in her heart grew a restless omen. She sighed and began walking to the harbor.

The long white and light blue dress she usually wore was replaced by deep blue trousers, a long pale blue tunic, black boots, a mithril armor and a cloak made in Lothlórien that appeared to adapt the color depending on the background. In her back, there was a fine bow and a quiver with arrows; and in her waist suspended a sword. Her silver blond hair waved almost to her knees, floating with the light breeze.

Authiel walked to someone who had already arrived. One of her hands rested on the hilt of her sword, which was carved with light blue gems. As the elf turned when she approached, she saw Legolas’ son.

“Herunya. My lord."

The word was complemented with a slight bow. She made no smile while she walked to him. She had already met the prince, including when he was just a baby, yet they didn’t have actually know each other.

“Prince Kiland, I am Authiel, daughter of Finrod.”

[Edited on 01/14/2014 by Ella]
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
As he turned he spotted a she-elf on the far end of the dock. She walked with her shoulders back, a trait of pride most elves possessed, and her hair glinted silver in the light of the rising sun. He spotted the mithril armor she was wearing and a hint of admiration filled him. The secrets of the forging of mithril was only known to the dwarves of Middle Earth, which lead him to realize the armor was older than himself. Perhaps he'd be able to find some on their journey.

"Well met, Authiel," he responded with a slight bow of his own, his hair falling onto his chest plate. "It is an honor to meet the daughter of the great Finrod." He straightened his posture, his icy eyes searching hers, but not disrespectfully. The elves had carried the traditions of respect for many years, and they certainly weren't about to let it go now.

"If I'm not mistaken," he implored quietly, recognizing her name from his many errands he ran as a young elf, "You sailed from Middle Earth with the rest of the High Elves and Elves of Lothlórien, did you not?" If he was correct, it would bring him comfort- having someone along who'd been to Middle Earth would be a huge advantage.

The cool wind blew in from the bay, pulling at his hair. He could see another few forms farther up the the coble-stone road, surely more of the company. Hopefully they'd be ready to set sail soon- the journey would be new and yet worrisome. The fate of their people rested on their shoulders.
“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.” ― Neil Gaiman
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
The elf standing right in front of Authiel was young, yet with a strong presence of nobility, which she presumed that came from his father. She remained still while he said those polite words of greeting. She noticed his icy eyes searching to meet hers and soon she glanced right on them, with a hard and cold look. Though she was used to be respectful, she hated those excessive formalities. She was practical. If there was war, she made a strategy and fight, if needed. She thought there weren’t any needs of talk in circles to reach to that conclusion.

However, she had a great admiration for his father, since she had live during the War of the Ring and met him, along with the fellowship. She was nothing but a child and she remembered when they stepped there and rested. He was a warrior of excellence as she remembered and when she could, after sailing into the West, she would slip into some conversation to ask him some advice. The she-elf knew he had a great education by him, so she felt a great respect towards him and tolerated his formalities.

"You sailed from Middle Earth with the rest of the High Elves and Elves of Lothlórien, did you not?" Prince Kiland asked.

The maiden almost smiled hearing that question, since she had fell in love with Lothlórien and the few places of Middle Earth she had passed in. In her eyes a slight bright appeared when she nodded affirmatively.

“Indeed.” She whispered. “I was born in Lothlórien and lived there about eighty years of my childhood.”

Her voice, countering to her attitude, was melodic. In fact, besides war and battle, she was very fond of music and poetry. She believed in the lyricism of the war, the fight for noble causes.

“Yet I do believe Middle Earth had changed; and not entirely for best.” Her tone changed to ice again with a bit of sorrow.

Someone was coming and she was somewhat wary about the people who were joining them.
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
His eyes glanced back to her as the nearest figure grew steadily closer, noticing the change in her eyes. She felt about her home as he felt about the forest he grew up in- it was, and always would be, home. But if Lothlórien was truly as beautiful as the songs of old claimed, he had no doubt he would fall in love with it as well.

But his hopes were dimmed with her words that followed.

“Yet I do believe Middle Earth had changed; and not entirely for best.”

"Let us hope not everything in Middle Earth has been changed," he said quietly, his expression one of understanding. His grandfather, Thranduil, had stayed behind with the rest of the Mirkwood elves. The plan was to march to Mirkwood and seek answers from the King of the Woodland Realm as to the current happenings of the world.

Kiland had been trying to push from his mind that the only reason he was being sent was because of his relation to Thrandiul. He liked to believe it was because of his skill with a bow, and his eagerness to explore- afterall, his father was about his age when he became part of the fellowship, why shouldn't he be given the chance as well?

He readjusted the strap of his pack on his shoulder, glancing at the approaching figures again. "It appears we will soon meet the rest of our fellowship." His tone wasn't excited, but one filled with curiosity. It would be interesting to see who the other rulers selected.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Nethiel carefully approached the docks, holding only a small leather bag in one trembling hand. She had been chosen-why, she did not know. She supposed that it could have been her ties with Middle Earth, specificaly the death of her grandfather in the War of the Ring.

She was young, but still, the The Lords of the Eldar had selected her to go on this journey.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the Prince Kiland. He was speaking to another figure, female, and, Nethiel noted, very pretty. She did not know the maiden, but it was clear that Kiland did, as they were the only two who were truly attempting to be friendly towards each other.

Bearing that in mind, Nethiel slunk between those already at the docks. She felt eyes on her, the youngest member of the company, as she stood by herself in a remote area of the pier, trying to be invisible.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
He had had his eyes on her from the moment she had stepped onto the dock. She was beautiful, as was every elf, but he could tell she wasn't much older than he was. Thus far the Lords seemed to be selecting younger elves for the journey- young in comparison to the others, that is- and the newest addition made him even more curious to see the rest of them.

He excused himself with a polite murmur of "one moment," And stepped towards Nethiel, his eyes on her. "Forgive me for the intrusion, but are you to be one of the company?" he asked, bowing slightly. "I am Kiland, son of Legolas, who is king of the southern woods."

He could tell she wanted to be left alone, but in the current circumstances there wasn't really a lot of time or room for that.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Nethiel stiffened as Kiland approached her. "Forgive me for the intrusion, but are you to be one of the company? I am Kiland, son of Legolas, who is king of the southern woods."

Why was he coming to her? Did not the son of Legolas have more important affairs right now than to speak to her? He seemed so much older than she, and yet, she was still to be part of the company. They had all better get aquanted now than firther down the road.

"Yes, Lord Kiland," She said softly. "I am to go on this journy. I have yet no weapons to aid you, but I will do all that I can."

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
"Please, merely Kiland will be entirely suitable. With any luck I will never become the Lord of the Woods of Orome." he smile was kind, yet in his youth it probably came across more youthful than kind.

His eyes glanced down to her lack of supplies. "Do you have a companion who is bringing your supplies? Or are they already here?" He hoped she hadn't come completely unprepared- it would be a most foolish decision in his eyes. They wouldn't have time to wait for her to make the journey up the mountain to buy supplies from the smiths.

He glanced over the waters, spotting the red sun rising upon the horizon. The waves were gentle and the breeze blew against his face as he estimated the time they had between then and when they were set to push off. It wasn't long now, and he glanced back to spot another figure not far off. Hopefully they would arrive soon and they could begin the adventure that lay before them.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"No, I have no companion," Nethiel, she said, rather embarrassed. "This is all I have. No other possessions." Now, she looked even worse- unprepared as well as unkempt. "I believe I can make do. And in time, on our voyage, perhaps I will acquire something of value." Realizing that she must seem completely unsuitable for travel, she added, once again, "I can make do."

Realizing she had not met any of their other companions, she asked, "Who else will be journeying with us?"
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
he pulled a bag of gold from his pocket, grabbing a fistful of the coins and pushing them into her hands. "Here, take this," he said quickly, "There's a small shack down the dock there, they have some spare weapons lying around. See if you can't find some that fit for you."

He silently cursed whichever King or Queen had sent this elf- what did they think this journey was going to be, a simple walk under the stars? In response to her last question he said quickly "I've only met one, besides yourself, but I believe there's only four of us. It appears the next individual is almost here. Now, quickly," he ushered her, "go find the elf who owns the dock and get some supplies."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Nethiel turned quickly, grasping the coins in her fist,surprised at his sudden change in tone. Of course, she was foolish to have no weapons. But this was all so sudden and rushed that she had no time to pack.

Embarassed, she slunk away from the docks and went off to the land that scraped against the sea. Sure enough, there was a small shack, just as Kiland said. It was empty, but unlocked, Nethiel noted, as she stepped inside. Of course no one was there. They were all at the docks, watching the great Four sail out. And watching an unknown Elf make a fool of herself.

The walls were lined with weapons, but none caught Nethiel's eye. She roamed quickly, knowing that the expedition would carry on without her if nessesary. She finally settled on grapping a single knife that was lying abandoned in the corner, and tossed four coins on the counter. Nethiel turned to leave, tucking the knife into her belt, but then tripped over a long, dark brown bow.

She sat up, fingering it, caring not that her shins sting from the fall and that her face was red from shame. It was beautiful, dark and strong looking, much like Nethiel herself wanted to be. The bow reminded her of Kiland- strong in appearance and seemingly bold.

Lying a few feel from the bow was the matching quiver. Nethiel scooped that up and left all but three of the coins on the counter for the keeper when he returned. She then went up towards the pier with a new swing in her step. This time, she would be strong.

Nethiel went right up to Kiland with no hesitation. She handed him back the three remaining coins, and said, "Thank you for your kindness. I apologize for my arrogance." The automatic reply to a wronged authority figure.
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
He turned back to gain his bearings and what seemed like moments later she was back, pressing three coins into his hands. He tore his gaze from the bustling crowd, filled with curious, sad, and some dread-filled faces; he'd been hoping to see his father one last time before they set off. Kiland had a childish hope to receive some parting wisdom, some last bit of advice, before setting off on a journey that would ultimately be life changing. When he met her eyes and she spoke, a part of him froze, and a distant memory awakened within him. The memory of a small elf, sitting beside a fire with his father and listening to stories of old.

"Thank you for your kindness. I apologize for my arrogance."

"'It won't happen again,' I promised him,"Legolas had said, his usual smile missing from his face. Kiland, then only 27 years old, sat beside his father, his young eyes not understanding completely.

"But... If Thranduil is your father, why would you talk to him as if to the Lord of a distant land?" Kiland had responded, curious and confused. His relationship with his own father was very strong; he'd never imagine talking with such formalities.

"There are more than a few things that you have not learned of yet, Kiland," Legolas answered, "and one of them is the way in which your Grandfather runs his Kingdom. He keeps everyone fed, everyone safe, and everyone warm, but not at great cost. He is neither liked nor hated, he is simply their king. And he expected to be treated as such, and no more. Even from me."

His startled expression quickly melted, realizing he had wronged her. He had treated her as an elf of extreme youth, perhaps no older than 100, and it was neither his place nor his right to due so.

With a soft smile he said quietly, "No, please accept my apology, Nethiel. It was wrong of me to become short with you, even is you were unprepared. Please accept my apology. My nerves must be getting the better of me, I simply fear losing one of our team along this treacherous journey." He paused, offering another somewhat sheepish smile, and added, "I'm glad you're here."

He had no intention of becoming like his grandfather- even if he was ever to become a King. He wanted always to be known as one who treats everyone with respect, and yet as a friend.

"We set sail soon. Are you ready?"

[Edited on 01/22/2014 by James_Lefor]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I am," Nethiel answered smoothly. She held out her new weapon- already the mist from the sea was wetting it slightly. "Although we still seem to be one companion short."

The waves were light, lapping at the dock. Nethiel gazed down at them. Soon, they would all be at the mercy of these waves, for a time, at least. She hoped that their group would be blessed- they would need to be, to succeed in such an impossible journey.
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
He nodded in response and gestured towards the approaching figure. "They'll be here soon. In the mean time, you should probably introduce yourself to Authiel, you'd meet her soon enough anyways." He motioned towards the third of their party a few meters away.

So far the fellowship seemed decent- they certainly were't the strongest, the fastest or the most well prepared, but they were enough. Enough to withstand the evils and dangers of Middle Earth. or so he hoped.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Authiel. The name was familier to Nethiel, although she couldn't place it. Kiland, son of Legolas. Authiel. Who was to be the fourth? And then she- unknown and unprepared. At length, Nethiel finally said, "Sulaid- greetings- Authiel. I hope to know you more during this journey."

She turned to Kiland and said, quickly, "I feel I should tell you. I came on this journey with purpose. I should want to see Middle Earth again. I want to walk upon the soil of the land that soaked up my grandfather's blood."
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Lethran had seen many a tide of orcs ebb and flow. Great uprisings of evil and catastrophic downfalls. The throes of life were not foreign to him. They weighed heavily on his shoulders in the lands of Valinor where time was uncounted. Years beyond reckoning had seemingly gone unnoticed by the inhabitants. Lethran, however, remembered much in his time.

The sun that morning had dawned bright and cold amid the early morning mists. Lethran, clad lightly in a leather jerkin outfitted with light chainmail in vital area with according leather trousers and sturdy boots, rose with the sun and was at the dock during it's first seconds of luminescence. He had sat in typical ruminations for the few minutes before merchants and sailors returned to their usual haunts. This also meant that the council's elected 'ambassadors' were to be gathering.

An unwise decision, but one Lethran agreed to; afterall, some doubted the possibility of these orcs posing a true threat. But the Lords wanted the issue dealt with. Lethran answered the summons. He, a veteran of many campaigns, had no intention of shirking his duties.

The first to arrive at their predetermined meeting place was of course King Legolas' son. Lethran felt no surprise in seeing him arrive at a brisk pace. A pair of elvish women he had never seen before arrived shortly thereafter. He approached as they made ready for boarding their Middle-earth bound vessel and introduced himself to King Legolas' son with a respectful bow of his head. "Lord Kiland. I am Lethran Pellaerhil and I am to be joining your fellowship." His greeting was very concise. "And greetings mellon," Lethran quickly added to the lady beside Lord Kiland.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Another she-elf approached and a smirk appeared in Authiel’s lips as prince Kiland fixed his eyes on the newcomer. She was lovely, indeed, yet her posture made Finrod’s daughter almost laugh. Why was that girl, who she knew that she was almost her age, acting like a child? She didn’t want to question the Lords decisions, though she did that frequently. Not wanting to interrupt their conversation, she walked to the ship ahead her. She made sure everything was according to plan and all the supplies were packed inside the ship.

As she returned to the dock she noticed the maiden had gone buying some weapons since she came unprepared. Authiel took a deep breath, trying to stay calm and polite when she introduced herself. She didn’t smile, yet she nodded respectfully.

“Aiya, Nethiel.” She greeted, knowing already the names of those who were chosen by the Lords. ”I do not think you will know me more than I want you to know.” She added in her thoughts.

A fourth member arrived. He was, for sure, older than anyone there. Authiel, who was not near the others, approached them, right in time to hear his greeting to the others.

“Greetings, Lethran. I am Authiel, daughter of Finrod.”

She was more pleased with his presence since she could notice he was the most prepared of them. However, she just made a small bow of respect and turned to the others.

“I need to review some maps and make some essential preparations. If you excuse me, I shall get going inside.”

[Edited on 01/30/2014 by Ella]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Nethiel met Authiel's eyes as she said her greeting.How did this Elf know her name? She could read also something more there-something she could not place.

At last, the fourth and final member of their company came. He bowed to Kiland and said, "Lord Kiland. I am Lethran Pellaerhil and I am to be joining your fellowship."

Authiel was quick with her hello, and Nethiel hastened to be behind her. "Sulaid, Lethran."

Four. Would it be a number blessed-or cursed?
James_Lefor
Council Member
Send Message
Kiland watched as another elf stepped forth from the crowd, one who seemed to carry himself and the elders did, and made his way to the company. The elf's hair was darker the Kilands and appeared slightly taller. Hi armor was minimal yet effective, and his weapons were visible. Something felt.... different about the elf, Kiland realized. He seemed... old. Much older than himself.

"Lord Kiland." The elf spoke, bowing his head slightly, "I am Lethran Pellaerhil and I am to be joining your fellowship."

"Grretings, Lethran," Kiland responded with a low boy of his own, wanting to show the proper amount of respect for an elder, "I am greatful to count you as one of our own. It is an honor to meet you."

Authiel slipped away to the interior of the ship to make preparations for the voyage, and Kiland scanned the crowd again. It appeared his father would not make an appearance, despite the elf's hopes that he would. He put an easy smile on his face and glanced towards the other two companions. "Are we ready to set sail? We best leave as soon as we can, so we can have the aid of the light with us for as long as possible."

Many of the faces in the crowd were somber, and the elves themselves were quiet and reserved. It was known that those in the company may not return, depending on the amount of danger waiting for them. Yet to Kiland, the excitement of the adventure overcame any apprehension that may have threatened to creep into his mind.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email