Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1112131415Last >>
Author Topic:
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen - we've had a nice few weeks of warmth in England, which has been quite uncharacteristic for this time of year, but welcomed all the same! As for ES, I saw she was online last night (around 7PM UK time), but haven't seen any posts recently.

Elfmaiden77 - I hope school doesn't overwhelm you too much! Take care of yourself, and don't overdo anything!
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
autistic cupcake
Council Member
Send Message
hello everyone Haven't been going on the computer a lot lately. i tend to do my computer time in spurts lol.

alos if you are interested in learning more about Tolkien's works, I recamend The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-earth For Dummies. Its a great read and very interesting, I enjoy reading it before bed.
What herb heals all wounds? Thyme! Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! Sprinkles are for winners
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, cupcake, I have that book and I love it. The title might put some people off but this *dummy* thinks that book is packed with easy to understand information.

Ilde, isn't it wonderful that a princess has been born? I was so delighted when I heard the news of her birth.

*Sips on lemon water and goes to look out the window.*
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
*saunters in*

Hey, I've been missing for a while so I have had lots to catch up on with the patrons of the Inn.

The weather has been too amazing here but it means I've been kept busy with lawns and such. Everyone is enjoying the warmth, including the old geezer Seamus who has taken possession of his favourite spot under the bushes at the back of the property.

The other black imps have been busy hunting voles in the long grass. I'm not sure Finn actually catches anything unless it's served on a plate, Conor definitely does. They just turned 10 months two days ago. I finally got a new card for my camera, and charged the battery so I will try to get some new pictures of them.

I hope everyone has made it safely through their exams. I know what a busy time it is for students as they head into the home stretch.

*rises* I've got to run. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

[Edited on 05/07/2015 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen, I've never really kept up with our monarchy as much I should (much too busy), but it is nice to hear there were no complications! I'm not very maternal, myself. Maybe one day the instinct will kick in!

I've got one more week of mild cramming stress, then my exam week arrives... Then I will panic! I wish the human body were internally simpler
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
*staggers into the inn* Did somebody say stress?

Itarilde - What are you studying? Because I know that very feeling! lol! I'm in graduate school at the moment and tomorrow morning will be done with all 6 of my finals!! I can't wait. My stress has pretty much blown through the roof and it will be a miracle if I have hair left tomorrow.
Good luck on your exams!

*grabs a cookie and runs back out the door*
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Rhodilwen - I'm studying radiography at university, and I'm in my second year, which is apparently our worst! After this week, I'll have 4 tough exams to get through, and a second research proposal is due too. After that I have clinical placements until the end of August, which includes a full portfolio, case study, and 5 assessments. Good luck on your exams! I hope they go well

Image Image
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Hi everyone! i'm back! I am curently having a wrestling match with Algebra, and I am loosing. I have been sickly lately, and think the cause it one to many night partying with the ringwraiths!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
*the cause of it* sorry, I
have many typo problems!

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
*pops in for a quick coffee*

Sorry to hear that everyone is having so much stress right now. I know you will all do well in your exams, and then most of you will have the summer to enjoy.

As for myself, being retired does have its perks, although I'm up early every morning thanks to the cats. I don't know how I managed to do so much at home when I was working. My time seems fully taken up every day.

Anyway, have a great week, and good luck with the exams.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
*pops in to check in with everyone, grabbing a coffee on the way*

Hello all! I can't stop by long these days, the human body and its multitude of complexities is driving me insane currently. But it's all a necessary means to a good end.

I'm getting closer to my battle with exam papers, so I'll be taking up my methaphorical sword (namely a pen), and fighting the Battle of the Four Armies (or exams) soon. Good luck to all other exam takers!

"One day I shall rest well, but it is not this day (or week!)"
Image Image
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
*pops in for a quick coffee and a fresh muffin*

It's a long weekend in the Great White North and the forecast is for sun, sun and more sun. I can't believe how warm it is. People are walking around in shorts and t-shirts and it's only the middle of May.

Well, I'm off. Making a circuit of the garden centres looking for the rest of the plants I need for my garden. Traditionally, this is the weekend the it's safe to put in your young bedding plants without the fear of frost killing them.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
My family already got our gardening done, I have a little cactus in my windowsill, and It actually bloomed and made fruit! Surprising plants!

autistic cupcake
Council Member
Send Message
*hands out birthday cake.*

Today is my birthday. I'm 22 today. I celebrated yesterday by going to a Chinese buffet and going to the mall. My mom bought me Lego The Hobbit video game.
What herb heals all wounds? Thyme! Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! Sprinkles are for winners
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Happy Birthday, Cupcake. May all your birthday wishes come true. Image
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Happy birthday cupcake!

I finished school for the year! yay me!

ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry it's a bit late but Happy Birthday Cupcake! Enjoy Lego Hobbit! Also let me know what you think. I really loved the Lego LotR game, and I'm tempted by The Hobbit one.

One exam down, three more to go! Wish me luck, friends!
Image Image
autistic cupcake
Council Member
Send Message
@itarilde so far I enjoy the game and good luck of your your exams.

@everyone thank you for the birthday wishes.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Well I had my third out of four exams today, and I want to tell everyone, I feel like they've gone very well. I did feel out of depth for some questions, but I still answered everything, and I didn't come out of them thinking I'd failed any!

I have one more exam on Friday, and then I am free from the academic side of my degree. But then I do have my clinical side to complete, so I'm not technically 'free' until August!

But, on the plus side, I have planned for the day of my last exam to have an ultimate 'Hobbit and LotR' movie marathon. It's going to be so beautiful... and as always, I will cry when Frodo gets onto the ship to the Undying Lands in RoTK. It gets me every time without fail! Image
Image Image
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
ItarildeSirfalas said: and as always, I will cry when Frodo gets onto the ship to the Undying Lands in RoTK. It gets me every time without fail! Image

For me, the most moving moment is when Sam speaks the three words at the end of both book and movie (especially movie): "Well, I'm back."
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:
ItarildeSirfalas said: and as always, I will cry when Frodo gets onto the ship to the Undying Lands in RoTK. It gets me every time without fail! Image

For me, the most moving moment is when Sam speaks the three words at the end of both book and movie (especially movie): "Well, I'm back."

Ah that is another moment that gets me too. I've decided I'll be doing my movie marathon tomorrow, my exams have made me much too tired today!
Image Image
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Enjoy your movie marathon ItarildeSirfalas. The last couple times I tried a movie marathon I managed to make it to the end of the EE of Fellowship. I think the most moving moment of the movies was Boromir's death, or maybe when they are burying Theodred.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg said:Enjoy your movie marathon ItarildeSirfalas. The last couple times I tried a movie marathon I managed to make it to the end of the EE of Fellowship. I think the most moving moment of the movies was Boromir's death, or maybe when they are burying Theodred.

Ah, Arveleg, you're right! And I've had to hold off my movie marathon, as I forgot that tonight was another night shift I was working. So it looks like I'll be holding it off until tomorrow, once I've had a quick sleep

I also think Gandalf The Grey's 'death' gets me too. I can't even hear that part of the soundtrack!

I also have the EE boxset, so it takes me a little bit longer, but I can't watch the 'normal' editions anymore! It feels like there's so much missing!

[Edited on 05/23/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Tried to watch the movies, and we made it through the 1st EE disc. When we get the itch to try and watch them again, we'll start with disc 2.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I managed to watch until Part 1 of the RotK EE, and that was because it got too late to finish all of the films! Maybe at some point I'll watch all of the Hobbit trilogy too
I have to say, it was a wonderful day off!
Image Image
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
*enters the inn after shaking off her umbrella and gets a mug of hot chocolate*

Well we finally got some much needed rain, and it was a decent amount. I went for a walk and the air was so fresh and clean smelling; and the birds were chirping cheerfully and feasting on the worms that had been flooded out of their tunnels. It's amazing what a bit of moisture can do to make things better.

I must say it's been a strange year weather-wise. I see the areas that have been hit with flooding are getting more of the same. Apparently, El Nino is the cause ... not sure if I believe that or not. The climate changes seem to be a bit more permanent than the El Nino phenomenon produces.

I'm glad to see that everyone has managed to survive their exams. I hope the rest of the school year is more relaxed.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

*takes her mug to the dishwasher, picks up her umbrella and leaves the inn*

ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
*places some lemon drizzle cake on the table and clean mugs*

Hello all!

It's been a while since anyone dropped by! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone's getting on? I hope the weather has improved for everyone now we're in June! England is a lot warmer as of late, not that I've noticed, as I now practically live in the X-ray department at my hospital (all work and no play for me!)

It's a shame to hear about Sir Christopher Lee. I hope he's now enjoying numerous cups of tea with Tolkien and discussing the books etc.

My exam results are being published soon. Wish me luck everyone, I worked much too hard. Let's hope I earn a good rest!
Image Image
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
You will do great Itarilde!

Weather here has been unseasonably warmer and wetter than normal. It hasn't been "raining"per-se, but drizzling and misting and soaking everything while remaining grey. Drop the temps about 10 degrees and it would remind me of Seattle in November.

Had a bit of drama Saturday night. loaded and started the dishwasher and was getting ready to head to bed, when I went back in the kitchen and found a smalllake crossing the floor. A rubber hose blew out and it was pumping water all over the place. Got a part ordered and should have it fixed later this week. Meanwhile, its hand washing....

Here is some Cinnamon & Cardamon cookies I baked...
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Oh no, Arveleg!

I hope your dishwasher parts arrive quickly! Hand-washing is tedious, in my opinion. Having lived in a house with a dishwasher, and now being in one without, I miss having the luxury!
Image Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, this is funny. You two actually use your dishwashers for washing dishes. I use mine to store my plastic food containers and frying pans.

The thing takes over an hour to wash and the drying cycle lasts at least 45 minutes. So close to 2 hours for something that takes me 20 minutes by hand.

Do your dishwashers clean your pots and pans without any assistance from you?

Happy first day of Summer!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
P.S. Arveleg, the cookies sound divine. Would you share your recipe for them? Does that spice, cardamon, resemble ginger?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
The courier decided to take a week to "express" the parts to me. Fixed the dishwasher and got it re-assembled and working last night. As for cleaning, it depends in whether the food-stuff dries on the dishes. If they are lightly rinsed after use, then the dishwasher does a bang-up job. If they are washed unrinsed right away, it does quite well, but the filter needs cleaned at least weekly. However they sit and things like mashed potatoes turn into dried cement inside the kettle, it's hard either way you wash it.

Happy Winter Solstice! Anybody check out the crescent moon next to the planets Venus & Jupiter, and the star Regulus in the western sky?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Spiced Cardomom Cookies
on: June 22, 2015 11:52
... and this was the recipe I used for the cookies...

Ingredients
2 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup ground almonds
For Decoration:
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
sliced almonds
Serves / Yields
makes 2 dozen

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 2 baking sheets.

Combine flour, cardamom and salt. In a separate bowl, beat butter until creamy, and add sugar. Continue to beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flower mixture until well-blended, stir in ground almonds.

In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and cardamom. Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, coat in sugar-spice mixture. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets. Dip the bottom of a glass into sugar mixture and flatten cookies to 1/2 inch thick rounds. Decorate with sliced almonds.

Bake cookies until golden brown, about 12-14 minutes. Remove sheets to wire racks to cool 2-3 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
sounds good! Hey all, I am no longer a blank avi!! YAY!!!

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg, I will give those a try as soon as I find that spice. My local grocery store does not have it. I forgot your seasons are different in Australia. Happy Winter Solstice.

Great to *see* you, flyingarrow.

Is everyone enjoying nice weather? It is time for summer storms here in Florida.
<< First1112131415Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email