Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1617181920Last >>
Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
What a wonderful tribute Lord_Sauron! She would have loved to be remembered in such a way. Image
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Lard_Sauron, that was so very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
I had a poem I had started awhile back that was meant to be a gift for her. I mean to finish it one day. I also want to paint a picture of silhouetted people looking up at a brilliant starry sky and dedicate it to her.

Several other members and I were talking about choosing a night to release lanterns into the sky to remember our Beloved Lindarielwen. If any of you would like to participate you are welcome to. She was a dear friend to so many.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I will continue to remember Lindarielwen through the many, many threads where we traded posts. And not the least through Evil~Shieldmaiden's PM which stunned me less than a week ago. Something that I will keep in my Message Box for as long as I visit CoE.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden said:
Just wanted to let the patrons of the Green Dragon Inn that Lindarielwen passed away on July 15, 2016, following a brief battle with cancer.

Gone too soon.
Rest in peace, my friend.

This is ill news indeed! Lindarielwen was very much a big part of the lifeblood of this place. The world is a lesser place without her presence. Rest in Peace Lady Lindarielwen!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
One has to wonder why people like Lindarielwen, who give so much good to the world and the people around them, are from life like that.

Yes, I know that life isn't fair. And I'm sure she's in a better place. But that doesn't make us hurt any less.

I'm not grieving knowing that she is somewhere wonderful, somewhere that as great as it can be, is made better by her presence. I'm not grieving because I know she is no longer in pain, no longer dealing with that awful disease.

I'm grieving because she is no longer here with us.

[Edited on 09/05/2016 by LegolasXXXXX]
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Hithfaerwen
Council Member
Send Message
Dear Lindarielwen...

I was about to search for her.. My beloved dog passed away yesterday after being with me for 18 years, and I wasn't able to say goodbye to him. He was important to me, maybe as Gandalf is to Galadriel, if you like. I wanted to ask you all, how to cope with this, since the pain seems unbearable. Maybe you have a different approach, or been there, or have a good advice. But then I thought, it is best if I ask Lindarielwen first, since she was the most kind forum entity I ever encountered. And even if I shy away to discuss this pain with a whole forum community, she would have been nice and understanding. I would have trusted her immediately.

This news has affected me gravely, and not just because I was seeking her council. I would have loved to meet her one day, but maybe we will meet anyways, sometime, somewhere.
Those we love do not go away, they walk beside us every day...Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear. ~ For my unforgettable dear friend Buksi, and the angelic Lindarielwen
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I'm not Lindarielwen, whose passing still grieves me, but I will do my best to honour the friendship with which she honoured us, and the many other members of this site whose lives she graced with her compassion and thoughtfulness.

I am so sorry for your loss, especially because you weren't there to say goodbye. It seems a small thing to many, but I've felt the sting of that particular regret, and know it's anything but a small thing. Image I know a virtual hug isn't much, but I hope it helps a little bit.

I'm much older than you are, and animals have been a huge part of my life since childhood. Over the years, I have had to say goodbye to many of my feline and canine companions. Each time it happens the pain is immense, but it fades with time, as I'm sure it will do in yout case . Does that mean you will forget? Absolutely not, I remember everyone of my companions with the joy and love they deserve: for having them in my life, and for having the honour of being a part of their lives.

My next comment may seem insensitive to you during this difficult time, but it's definitely not meant to be. After a period of mourning (which only the mourner can define), I begin to think about all of the cats and dogs sitting in cages waiting for that one person who will come along and rescue them from the nightmare in which they find themselves.

Currently, I have four 'rescues' consisting of 3 cats and 1 dog. Specifically, there's a 19 year old black male cat (Seamus Kilmouski); two 2 year old black male 'twins' aka litter mates (Conor and Finn Kilmouski ... they come from a long line of black toms) and a 5 year whippet/dachshund X (Oscar Banana ... don't ask) who joined my blended 'family' this past May.

It should be noted that I am very particular about rescuing black cats because they are always the last to be adopted. Superstitions persist about them being 'unlucky', or witches' familiars.

Finally, remember you are capable of loving many, and much, in your life. One day, perhaps when you least expect it, you may be blessed with another four-legged companion who will remind you why you loved your previous companion so much.

My heart goes out to you. May your griefs be few, and your joys be many.
Hithfaerwen
Council Member
Send Message
I thank you for your kind words in this difficult time!
Although Buksi, who passed away recently, was with me the longest, we have had two dogs (Sebastian, a whippet/jack russell X and Negro, a puli), a cat (Ciccino) and a bearded dragon (Puku) as well.
They are all rescued animals and it is true that they help with coping, however no companion could ever "replace" Buksi. That said, I understand what you mean, and we are on the same page in this regard Adopting animals is a gift which warms your heart for lots of years to come.
I am again grateful for you on this forum, and I wish you a lot of happy moments with your beloved feline and canine companions.

Those we love do not go away, they walk beside us every day...Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear. ~ For my unforgettable dear friend Buksi, and the angelic Lindarielwen
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
My sincerest condolences Hithfaerwen on the passing of your beloved Buksi. We are trying to prepare ourselves for the eventual passing of MoMo our pug. She is 13 years old and missing an eye. We call her our little pirate. She has been with my wife since early 2004.. Let us drink some Darjeeling Tea in rememberence of Linda and Buksi.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
7hot_feanorians
Council Member
Send Message
So sorry to hear of your Buksi's passing Hithfaerwen. Losing our four legged friends is never easy, especially the long lived ones. We lost our 21 year old cat Dusty this year and it was very saddening.
I know you mentioned not being able to say goodbye to your Buksi, if I may...I once had a friend who's dog was taken very suddenly from her life. She was also denied a goodbye to her furry friend, and she decided to write him a very touching goodbye letter. We all grieve differently but, maybe something similar would help with grieving as well as give you a chance to say a form of farewell (to Lindarielwen and Buksi).

And despite all the sadness happening recently, I do hope all of you find yourselves doing well at least.
Give me a horse and watch me fly!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
This place has really become a downer. Who's up for some coffee? Got a special single origin batch from the highlands of Khand! Very stimulating!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I would love a coffee. I've brought some muffins to go with it. Help yourself! There are some raspberry/walnut ones, and some banana/chocolate ones.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Oooohhh... banana chocolate! Yum! It does go good with this coffee!
7hot_feanorians
Council Member
Send Message
Mmm...banana chocolate muffins and coffee! Perfect for a cold October day. Not that it's been terribly cold here. Very windy though...Manwe loves to come play in my neighborhood! Hehe!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
*sips coffee between bits of the muffin*

Is anybody dressing up for Halloween? I usually do but I can't think of anything to dress up as. I don't get any children trick or treating any longer. They're all grown up. My one cat and my dog will be freaking out if there are any fireworks.

*stands and takes mug and plate to kitchen and puts them in the dishwasher*

I must run as I have a few errands to do. Have a safe Halloween, and enjoy the rest of your week.
7hot_feanorians
Council Member
Send Message
*munches on embarrassingly large pieces of fudge*

I sure hope that your furry friends didn't get terrorized by fireworks last night Shieldmaiden. Did you end up dressing up as anything?

My co-workers and I pinned pictures of spice bottles on and went around being "The Spice Girls" for Halloween. Haha! Sadly most of the kids (I work at a school) didn't get it. But we thought it was funny.

Does anyone have any super cool LoTR costumes? I've been dying to do a Rohan soldier.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
*sits down after getting a nice hot cup of coffee, and takes a sip*

Boy, that sure hits the spot. It's pouring rain with gale-force winds where I live. A thoroughly nasty day.

Unfortunately, we people letting off fireworks in the neighbourhood which freaked out my poor dog. I spent most of the night reassuring him that all was well. The cats, on the otherhand, pretty much slept through it all. LOL

I'm now thinking about my outdoor Christmas decorating. I won't start the actual decorating until after Veterans' Day, but I need to test the strands to see what needs replacing. I do minimal indoor decorating most years. It depends on how I feel, but we're very competitve in the neighbourhood when it comes to outside.

*gets up and gets a chocolate chip muffin*

mmm ... that's good! Did you bake them?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
"This is good coffee!"

Sips at the steaming black liquid and lets out a satisfying sigh.

"Cheers to democracy, no matter how creaky and aged the system is.

[Edited on 11/08/2016 by Arveleg]
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings, all! I hope you find yourselves well. I am coming to the end of my Thanksgiving break, and now have only one week of classes followed by finals standing between me and the freedom of Christmas break. Lots of homework and projects to get done, and no motivation for any of it. Oh, well.

*takes a muffin and mug of coffee* How are things for all of you?
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg stands and bows when Lady Evensong enters.

"Fair Lady! It is good to see you here again! Your presence brightens the place greatly! Thank you for dropping in!"
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Song! Arveleg! How's it going? I'm in Christmas mode now and have just finished putting up my lights outside. Bit of a challenge this year because of the persistent rainfall.

Stands and gets a coffee and a muffin, then wanders back to the table in front of the fire.

Boy, does this hit the spot! I was starving. I've been out shopping with a friend who loves to shop, and didn't have time for lunch.

What are your plans for Christmas? Staying home? Travelling?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Lord Arveleg, thank you for the kind words! It is wonderful to find myself here with such fair companions on this rainy and chill day! E~S, I'm sure your house looks lovely. We had a long dry spell here, but this past week there has been lots of rain.

Rises and brings a basket to the sideboard and begins unpacking cookies, warm bread, several types of cheese, and a platter of sliced apples with caramel dip.

Help yourselves to the food. It is simple but very filling.

Fills a plate and returns to her seat near the fire.

I will be staying home for Christmas with my family. This break should be a nice time to relax and rest up for my next semester of college. I may possibly be able to take a trip in the next couple of weeks, but have yet to broach that topic with my parents. What are your plans this year?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg is first to get to the table where Lady Song set her cheese and bread. Takin g a fair chunk of the cheese and some bread, he sliced some of the bread and spread some of the caramel over the slice, setting some of the sliced apples on it. He started to his seat and bowed to Lady Song as he went, saying,

"It is a beautiful spread you have brought to this place m'lady. I thenk ye for it, and your company!"

He went and sat, devouring the slice of bread with the caramel and apple slices on it. Enjoying this, he paused before slicing off some cheese for the next bit of bread, saying to Lady Song.

"If ye be open to any advice, I would say you should take the trip. An adventure gained is little lost, but an adventure lost will haunt you with regret. May I be so bold to ask where you wish to take your trip?"

He sliced some cheese and bread and ate them with his tea.

Realising he was being rude by not answering the fair lady's question, he said after he finished the bread and cheese slice,

"I myself have ordered a 5 kilo ham for Christmas. Got a great chocolate porter to use in the glaze as well. Will be getting it from the butcher on the 22nd and will cook it on the 23rd. Then on the morning of the 24th we set out south to my wife's family farm for Christmas weekend. Not sure who all will be there, but there will he a lot of ham to eat."

Arveleg was enjoying the cheese and bread so much the crumbs began to gather in his beard.

[Edited on 12/04/2016 by Arveleg]
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Itarildë bustles in looking neutral and frowning as is her custom, but smiles slightly at her friends gathered together.

"Song, Arveleg. I hope this Christmas period finds you both in high spirits. Dear Shieldmaiden, I'm jealous of any who have somewhere clean to decorate! Myself and my partner have been completely blitzing our brand new home, and the place is a mess! Therefore, I'm spending the holidays at the home of my parents', enjoying their food, company, and nicely decorated tree."

Ildë places a basket of foodstuffs and variously flavoured teas and coffee on a table, before taking a seat to eat some bread. She thought to herself before turning to Song.

"Any chance for an adventure should be taken. I myself contemplated for too many a month on whether to finally travel to Scandinavia, even if my partner couldn't join me. Now, I'll be visiting Copenhagen from January 19th until the 23rd, as a birthday treat to myself."

Ildë sat back and placed the book she'd been trying to read for the last few weeks on the table, pouring herself a drink of tea.

[Edited on 12/24/2016 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie walks into the inn, brushing snow off oh her coat.

"Hello friends! It's been quite awhile!"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Enters, grabs a cup of coffee and a cookie and wanders over to the others who are sitting by the fireplace and hugs everyone before sitting down.

"Happy New Year everyone! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season. I bought myself a new Dell laptop to replace my old Dell laptop and have been mucking about with Windows 10. Does anybody know how I can get rid of Yahoo as the default search engine? I've tried everything but it's still there.

The weather has finally righted itself. We had dreadful weather through October, November and much of December. My backyard turned into a lake and I had to have a ditch dug to the front drainage ditches to get rid of it. The new year is starting off sunny but cold.

Leans back, sips her coffee, and starts eating one of her cookies.

"Lucky you, travelling to Denmark, Ildë, although it's going to be pretty cold that time of the year. I've always wanted to see Tivoli Gardens but I never made it to Denmark during my travels in Europe."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Ah yes... Win 10... are you using 'edge' as your browser? I recommend installing either Google Chrome or Firefox to browse the web with. They are much more user friendly in setting up defaults.

Enjoy Denmark Ildë! Good to see you here again!

I'm back to work tomorrow after having a nice holiday week off. Will have to deal with the fallout of stocktake and get ready for the audit on Thursday. Happy New Year everyone!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Finishes her cookie and takes a swallow of coffee.

"First thing I did was get rid of everything I could immediately find that I had absolutely no use for whatsoever. I'm still finding the odd thing though. This business with Yahoo is driving me nuts. I use Comodo Ice Dragon which is a Firefoxed based browser.

I've followed the instructions for resetting the home page everywhere I know I can use to reset it, and so far nada. From the number of questions on the internet about it, apparently I'm not the only Windows 10 user frustrated by the problem. I don't like Yahoo because of all the crap you get with it.

*sighs and shrugs* I'll figure it out eventually. I now have a couple of keys that seem to have been interchanged. I don't have any idea they got reassigned but I know how to fix it. Otherwise the programme is quite nice, although I don't find it an improvement over Windows 7.

Leans back into her chair and and stares into the fire.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Ildë nods in agreement with her friends as they speak of this 'internet' thing.

"Dear Shieldmaiden, I myself have Windows 10, and have never had any issues with it. However, have you tried installing either Firefox and Chrome to see if you can reset the homepage away from Yahoo? If not, I am at a loss of how to change it if other ways to reset it have been unsuccessful."

Ildë sips her coffee, then thinks back to other parts of the conversation, while handing E~S, Arveleg and Maxie all a fresh bread roll each.

"As for my going to Denmark, I'm actually staying in a Radisson Blu right outside Tivoli Gardens. I can't wait to go. As for it being cold, I quite enjoy wrapping up against the elements. My genetics probably add to that factor, due to my father having descended from Norwegians/Danes himself."

She eats for a second then looks to Arveleg. "How far you, old friend? It has been a while since we've heard from you, also!"

[Edited on 01/03/2017 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
ItarildeSirfalas said:She eats for a second then looks to Arveleg. "How far you, old friend? It has been a while since we've heard from you, also!"

Fair Lady Itarilde! Yes... I come by here now and then. Though I met and know some great folk here on COE, I find it frustrating that the site function has gone into disrepair over the last several years. I guess it keeps me away more than if it were all working good. That said, one of the more memorable RP tales I've been a part of was here on this creaky old site (Darkest of Days).

As far as me, Life is good! It's summer and the rainy season is for the most part here. I would enjoy taking a trip to Denmark, and also to Norway and Finland to visit some of my Viking friends.

Arveleg got up and made himself a fresh coffee...
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
That coffee smells really good Arveleg. Do you mind if I help myself? They're supposed to be getting one of those new-fangled single cup thingys in here, but I don't know when it will arrive.

As for Windows 10, I've sorted quite a bit of the stuff out, and decided to live with the rest. Overall I like the programme, but it has it's quirks. Did you know you can't attach files for some reason? Very odd. I discovered that when I tried to attache a letter I'd written to my Uncle to an email I was sending him. Apparently, the email feature is a major complaint.

Sips coffee and leans back in chair.

The new year has started off pretty well. The weather has been excellent, if cold, and a full recovery has been made from the end-of-year festivities. I'm waiting to receive a cookie in the mail that 's being sent to me from Prague. It was made especially for me and has a picture of Morgoth on it. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Bye for now.

Stretches and stands up, finishing off the coffee

I must be off as I have a few errands to run. It's been lovely seeing you. Hopefully we'll see each other again soon.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi all! Who's dog is that outside? I've been trying to get in here for days and it keeps biting my ankle. It answers to the name 'Sucuri', except it doesn't, it just growls at me. So I'm having a post binge while I have the chance.

Pulls a flagon and swipes Arveleg's chair.

Arve, the best RP ever was the Dragon Eggspedition which was accidentally started here in the Green Dragon by Mareth, before getting booted out to another forum. I can't understand why we kept getting thrown off forums, just because we sang Disney songs and had cellphones.

Reads placemat.

I had a quiet year last year. I went deaf. Hahahaha. No seriously, I finally got a campervan and went off exploring, tracing family to exotic places like Westmorland and Staffordshire. I found the house my gt gt gran was a housemaid, and the smithy my gt^3 grandad was a blacksmith. Then I went to Runswick Bay. It's like California without the heat.

Tips chair back and nearly falls over.

That was deliberate. E~S I can recommend Palemoon web browser and Thunderbird email client. The Yahoo problem is not Yahoo's fault. You've probably got a little malware program which runs at startup changing the settings on any browser. Nasty. Hard to find and delete if you don't know what it is. More searching and reading I'm afraid. And always choose custom install with new software. You think W10 is bad? I'm still on Vista.

Gets up and opens door.

Bye all. Aaargh! Get off me, I'm leaving you dumb mutt.

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Unfortunately my new laptop came with Windows 10 installed and, overall I don't find the programme too bad. I've got my email working fine now by fiddling around, and finding what I wanted. As for Yahoo, apparently, it's a common problems. Lot's of complaints about it on various sites. I use Comodo Ice Dragon as one of my browsers and Chrome as the other. Both work fine with W10.

Sits back and takes a sip of coffee.

Sorry to hear you've had issues logging on. I don't know why it's affecting some people and not others. I think we've lost cirdaneth because she can't log on which is a pity. There are a few other issues floating around which don't bear discussing because they won't get fixed. I have been amusing myself with one of them. The HTML colour coding for the text of my signature. Put in a colour code, and then check and see what has actually shown up. I call it "fun with colours".

Stand up and takes her empty plate and mug to the counters.

Speaking of dogs, I must go take mine for a walk. I'll be back.

Puts on coat and departs with a wave.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hey guys! *sits down* man....it's been a while. Had my first LotR marathon with a bunch of other kids...went pretty good! Got to eat themed foods all day!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
*falls on his @ss because someone stole his chair. Manages not to spill his coffee*

Love the dogs... Our aged pug used to love her walks, but she can only manage about one a week anymore, especially when it's hot.

Always good to see you here Lady Cenor!

"Themed food"??? Middle Earth themed food? Stewed Rabbit? Lembas?

*grabs the vacated chair and sits back down*
<< First1617181920Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email