Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2021222324
Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Bonfire! Of course. Why didn't I think of that? The next fire festival is Beltane, May 1st. We can store it until then. Come on, let's take it back inside.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
*Blows the dust off the bar and taps himself an ale*
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
*takes a sip from the cold beer bottle* Oh boy, bonfires are pretty much the last things on anybody's mind here right now. But barbecuing has become much simpler: just make sure the barbecue / grill is in the sun and slap the stuff on.
(Actually, those stories about the Limeys, Roos, Kiwis, Krauts and Spaghettis making fried eggs by cracking eggs over the exposed metal parts of their vehicles during the North African part of WW II are what we would now call urban legends.)
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
(Actually, those stories about the Limeys, Roos, Kiwis, Krauts and Spaghettis making fried eggs by cracking eggs over the exposed metal parts of their vehicles during the North African part of WW II are what we would now call urban legends.)

... except there are photos of it ...

Happy August!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg said:

... except there are photos of it ...

Granted, Photoshop & co. didn't exist in WW II (other forms of faking photos did, but needed highly trained professionals). But, just off the top of my head, frying an egg in a pan on the appropriate (continuous) heat source, then dropping it on the bonnet of, say, a jeep to make it look like the egg was fried on the bonnet, is easy. It has been tried, but as long as the heat on the surface on which the egg was supposedly fried was supplied only by the sun, it doesn’t work. As bad a sunburn as one can get in the Sahara (but even north Scandinavians don’t start to get a sunburn until at least several minutes), the wattage provided by the sun is orders of magnitude too small to fry that egg. A campfire, gas-powered camping cooker or the like, providing continuous heat on a much larger scale than the strongest sunshine, is needed. Think of how long you could hold your hand in any fire (or on an electric stove plate) before you get serious burns it would take the sun hours to “duplicate”. Theoretically, if the engine underneath the bonnet were on fire, this might provide enough heat, but I doubt that in that kind of a situation the first thing on any soldier’s mind would be “gee, what a great opportunity to fry some eggs!”
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Wow...it's been quite a long time since I've been by. I'm so surprised, yet so happy, to see some familiar faces.

Gando, tarcolan, Arveleg, I've missed you! How have the three of you been doing?

[Edited on 08/04/2019 by findemaxam48]
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Myself, I'm officially retired since 01 March of this year. Had to survive two record-breaking heat waves in the last week of June and the last full week of July (which bumped up our national all-time highest officially recorded temperature from 40.3°C (104.5°F) to 42.6°C (108.7°F)!)

Otherwise, I’ve been dropping by here quite regularly, and finding things quite slow (unevenly so – whenever Evil~Shieldmaiden puts in an appearance, posts in the Games Forum and the “Vairë The Weaver” Realm spike up noticeably).

You're quite busy with the demands of college student life, I’m guessing?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Hi maxie! Hi Gando! I've managed to get half a day off, after mowing for two days.

We're having a heat wave here as well, although there have been a few rainy days (causes instant growth in lawns).

So far the summer has been awesome, but I'm perplexed because it's August already.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gando, that's so exciting! Are you enjoying your retirement? Those temperatures do not sound fun to deal with at all. We've been dealing with some high eighties to low nineties degree fahrenheit weather, but that's nothing compared to what you're experiencing! I hope the heat wave passes over you soon. I'm going to try and get back to the CoE regularly (and give you some company in the Games forum!) because I find surrounding myself with Tolkien for a few minutes each day brings me a lot of peace.

Congratulations on your day off, ES! Enjoy your temporary relief from mowing the lawn! I'm with you, the summer has just flown by.

I work full time now and I am also a full time student! I graduate with my four year degree in June of 2020, then I have two more years of graduate school!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, the heat waves have passed us by. As I mentioned above, it was the last week of June (and actually, only Wednesday and Sunday were scorchers) and the last full week of July (Wednesday through Friday were bad, Thursday the record-buster). Other than that, we've managed to stay (mostly) below the 30°C (86°F) threshold regionally - other places went just a bit above. Last year we had a record 17 straight days above 30°C regionally, and even less rain than we've had this year. But we've still only had two months with average rain or just above (I think January, and 114% in May), so we're into the fifth straight year since 2015 (which was a bad one) with serious precipitation deficits. Our forests, with trees adapted to earlier weather conditions, are suffering serious damage, and agriculture in some places is also suffering.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The heat has finally passed us by too. We're starting to get some real autumn-like weather now! Every day for the past week or so, there's been a strong breeze coming off the Lakes. I'm mentally preparing myself for the winter weather on the horizon, though fortunately I (hopefully) won't have to worry about that until November.

How has everybody been doing? Any new adventures, vacations, or creative endeavors being done? How do you all feel about this new LoTR series on Prime?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I just noticed that somehow your last bit about work and college didn’t register – maybe got sidetracked by the weather bit (I’m just a bit preoccupied with that … ). Full-time work and being a full-time student sounds like a heavy load! What are you studying?

As my ability to sleep has room for improvement, we haven’t done anything vacation-wise, never mind adventures (I’ve become a bit of a Hobbit about that! ). But last week Tuesday, I met with seven other people, six of them of a “company class” of 1982-84 and one “significant other”, for the first time since six years ago. Our “youngsters” are now all 56 (I’m the old coot at 63 )! On the weekend of September 20-22, I’ll be meeting with a different “company class” of 1987-88, which has had a (self-organized) reunion every year since 1989, this year being our 31st straight one (probably unique for the company), of which I’ve probably made 25 (I missed 2014/15/16 because of my sleep issues). One of the people from last Tuesday, another one who’s now in Vienna, and myself are members of both “classes”.

Nothing on the creative side, unless you count reading. My going-away present was a voucher for a book store, which was good for perhaps seven or eight books (this was back in May 2017, when I went into the no-work part of my company early retirement package). I’ve bought more books since then too, and re-read quite a few others. Just a serious book-worm, that’s all.

[Edited on 08/12/2019 by Gandolorin]
tarcolan
Send Message
Maxie!!! Where've you beeeeen? Good to see you. What are you studying? Things are much the same here, the old place is still standing thanks to running repairs. We had a burst of the hot weather here in the UK but it's normal British weather now. Cold and rainy. I've been making plum jam from the plums in the community orchard. It's a Czar and it's the first time it's fruited in seven years. Too many plums, lovely jam though. Bumper crop of bilberries (whortleberries, whinberries) up on the moors, tastier than blueberries. More jam with them next. So... mostly jam making lately. Yeah. Anyway, what's your tipple? Landlord!!
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Well well, it certainly has been a long time, I think three years since I posted, and maybe five or six since I was active here? Not entirely sure, perhaps longer. How is everyone? Waves of nostalgia are hitting me rn haha

[Edited on 08/12/2019 by LegolasXXXXX]
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
tarcolan
Send Message
Bless my little woolly socks! It's Legolas Fifty. Welcome back. Pull up a drink and sit down. How've you been?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Is the Amazon series actually having an effect? That would be one positive aspect about it!
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Haha I've been pretty good, also pretty busy, how about yourself tarcolan?
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
tarcolan
Send Message
I'm keeping busy helping out with an environmental education group. We've got an orchard and the Czar plum tree fruited for the first time in 7 years. Made lots of plum jam. Yummy. I'm just about to make huge amounts of bilberry jam, good year for those up on the moor. Smaller than blueberry but taste much better. Otherwise I've been off in the campervan.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Haha good so staying busy, and jam is 100% always good. Mix that with alittle peanut butter and some bread, or a buttered scone, ya know how it is
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
LegolasXXXXX said:Haha good so staying busy, and jam is 100% always good. Mix that with alittle peanut butter and some bread, or a buttered scone, ya know how it is

I must confess that while my parents and I lived in the US from 1966 to 1975, one thing that always made me shudder was the peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich; and even peanut butter by itself was something I normally gave a wide berth - ah, there's the emoji I was looking for:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Wow...it's been quite a long time since I've been by. I'm so surprised, yet so happy, to see some familiar faces.

Gando, tarcolan, Arveleg, I've missed you! How have the three of you been doing?

[Edited on 08/04/2019 by findemaxam48]

Hey Maxie! Good to see ya. I drift by this site every month or so. Doing alright. Cracking up at Gando and him throwing out paragraphs trying to disprove the actual frying of eggs on steel in the desert
tarcolan
Send Message
Jam! It's jam. Jelly is made with the juice, jam with the whole fruit. I will not tolerate this cavalier tampering with the nomenclature of conserves! And don't get me started on that abomination called 'peanut butter', neither a nut nor butter.

Sorry, I've been under a lot of stress lately. I've run out of jars.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:Jam! It's jam. Jelly is made with the juice, jam with the whole fruit. I will not tolerate this cavalier tampering with the nomenclature of conserves! And don't get me started on that abomination called 'peanut butter', neither a nut nor butter.

Sorry, I've been under a lot of stress lately. I've run out of jars.

Well, I don't know what Legolas50 puts on his / her bread with p-b, but I distinctly remember the "run-for-the-hills" stuff was referred to as p-b and jelly where and when I lived in the US. Though I wouldn't have been able to give the differentiation you provided above, I'm not an expert in the nomenclature in German, either. One thing I do know is that marmelade in GB is once again something different from either of the j's - and the best-tasting of the lot to me.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
*sneaks into the inn*
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
tarcolan
Send Message
Cenor! Where have you been? Pull up a chair and tell us all.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
So it’s getting close to Christmas again. I wonder if you would be allowed to bring in a tree this Year Tarcolan considering all that damage you and Gandolorin caused last year.
tarcolan
Send Message
Ah yes, about that? Remember when we dragged the old one out last year? And remember we couldn't decide what to do with it? And remember I suggested we burn it on May 1st, so we dragged it in again? And remember how we forgot? It's over there. We'll have to drag it out again.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Yes I remember hmm...I know let’s just stand that old tree in the corner and if anyone asks we will just tell them that we were able to get or hands on a tree that grows near the borders of Mordor and Khand.
Ok judging from that look you are giving me you are thinking it’s a bad idea.
Alright let’s drag this old tree out of here

[Edited on 12/01/2019 by Lord_Sauron]
tarcolan
Send Message
Phew! I need to quaff something now. *fetches two flagons of Balrog's Breath* Get that down you.
Before we decorate it we need a theme. Any ideas?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Making my biannual appearance here.....
on: January 03, 2020 08:15
Wow, this place still exists!

Cenor said:*sneaks into the inn*

Cenor! How have you been!

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
*staggers in*

Wow! Is the wind ever blowing hard. Looks like a storm is heading towards us! I hope everybody had an awesome Christmas. Happy New Year to everyone here!

*gets a cup of coffee, and sits next to Arveleg next to the fireplace*

How are things with you? Have you manage to avoid the fires?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden said:
*gets a cup of coffee, and sits next to Arveleg next to the fireplace*

How are things with you? Have you manage to avoid the fires?

Hey there E-S!
We've been fortunate to be living near the Dandenong Range and Yarra Valley where we get a bit of rain off the southern ocean on occasion. The poor buggers in East Gippsland and pretty much the southern half of New South Wales only seem to get wind and lightning from the stormfronts whick exasperate the fires there. There is no recovering from the scale of destruction of wildlife habitat that is happening.

The trouble is due to the years (decade?) of drought (more than the yard getting dry for a few weeks G) the Euclyptus gum trees have low water content and are thick with pil to try and weather the drought, but become very explosive. Typically the ground fuels burn with the lower branches of the trees with the crowns surviving. The Koalas will climb up high to avoid the fires. But with the low moisture in the trees, the leaves can't sustain the Koalas water needs, and the trees burn completely incinerating the Koalas trying to ascape the fires. It is estimated that over half the population of Koalas have been killed. And with all the videos of Koalas being brought to shelters all burned, 9 out of 10 have to be put down due to their suffering and will never survive.

A total climate disaster where the CSIRO warned about this back in 2007, yet the current government doesn't have a coherent policy or a firefighting reserve. Most of these fires are being fought by volunteers. Thanks much to Canada and California for their volunteers coming over to help out.

No sign of Cenor since they last walked through?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Oh... as far as how am I, I'm doing ok if I can keep the physical ailments to a minimum. I managed to crack my elbow on the corner of a nightstand a few days ago and it's really sore!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
*Walks in slowly and grabs a pint*
I would just like to to raise this pint in honour of Christopher Tolkien who passed away on the 15 of January at the Age of 95.
Rest In Peace Christopher Tolkien
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
*walks in, slamming the door against the raging wind and rain outside*
The weather outside is dreadful! I need a good coffee to warm up, especially as I needed to check in on all my CoE companions.

How is everyone? I hope everyone is well? Arveleg, I hope your elbow is less sore than it was in January! And also, I hope the situation in Oz has calmed down now? I'm not a big news watcher so forgive me if I sound really out of the loop!
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
<< First2021222324
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email